• Published 22nd Feb 2014
  • 910 Views, 9 Comments

Camp Equestria - mojomcm



Put this book away if you value your life. You can continue reading, but don't say I didn't warn you. My name is Twilight Sparkle, and this is my story.

  • ...
4
 9
 910

Chapter 1

Today was Tuesday.

Now, this was not an ordinary observation because, as we all know, nothing good ever happens on Tuesdays. The day was different from all the other days because one could not look ahead to the weekend since the weekend was many more days away, and unlike Monday, one was no longer rested after the last weekend. The same might have been said of, say, Wednesday, but Wednesday was a good day, simply because of the fact that it was no longer Tuesday.

On this particular Tuesday, Twilight Sparkle was pondering the strange universal fact so called “Tuesday” as her brother drove her to summer camp.

“Cheer up, Twiley!” Shining Armor said as he tilted the rear-view mirror in such a way as to see his favorite (and only) younger sister.

His statement, however, only caused the young Twilight to slouch farther in her seat on the back row of Shining’s new car. “I don’t want to go. Shiny, don’t make me go to summer camp.”

Shining Armor sighed at his sister. He would have laughed; her slouched position, pouted lips, and crossed arms made for a rather comical situation, but he didn’t want to hurt Twilight’s feelings. Running a hand through his messy “mane” of blue hair, he said, “You can’t lock yourself in a library forever, Twi’. You need to get out into the world and make some friends. Besides, you’ll like Camp Equestria.”

“No I won’t,” Twilight muttered. She rubbed her pet iguana, Spike on the head as she considered making a break for it when they stopped. This idea was soon crushed as Twilight remembered the numerous books that she had stashed in her backpack.

Twilight scowled as she thought of Camp Equestria. Her parents, Twilight Velvet and Night Light, had said that it would be a “good experience”, although she had yet to be the judge of that. Summer camp, as Twilight said, was where kids who have nothing better to do (in her case, read) and were desperate to make friends went. She insisted that the fate of the world did not rest in her making some friends. In fact, Twilight had plenty of friends! Let’s see, there was Shining Armor, her parents, Spike, and…that was about it.

“You know,” Shining Armor said. “If you look out the right side, you can see the edge of the Everfree Forest.”

“Huh?” Twilight tilted her head. “The what now?”

Shining chuckled, “The Everfree. It’s a forest that surrounds Camp Equestria. Keeps all you ‘reluctant’ campers inside.”

Twilight rolled her eyes at her brother. Surely he was joking.

Soon, they passed the tree line that marked the edge of the Everfree. Most of the sunlight was blocked by the tall trees and the other flora. Shining Armor fell silent after they entered the forest, almost as if he were being cautious to not let anything, or anyone, hear his approach. Twilight shook her head; her brother was not the kind to sneak up on, or past, something.

As they drove deeper and deeper into the Everfree Forest, the road ahead grew darker and the trees on either side of them seemed to become creepier and creepier. Twilight could have sworn that she saw the ruins of an old castle as they passed through. She jumped as a loud crash resounded from her left. An enormous, scaly leg had stomped down, just missing the car by a few feet. Shining Armor swerved to avoid the…

“HYDRA?!” Twilight shrieked as she looked up at the (supposedly) mythical creature that had nearly flattened them.

“Hang on!” Shining called out as the car began to roll. He had tipped into a ditch and the car had lost its balance. The siblings found themselves upside-down when the car came to a stop.

“Are you okay?” Shining asked his sister. He turned around in his seat to see Twilight curled up in a ball around Spike, who was struggling for freedom. “We need to get out of the car NOW.”

Twilight’s eyes widened as she began to panic. “You never said anything about hydras being real, much less at summer camp!”

Shining ignored his sister as he shoved the doors open. “Out. Hurry before it comes back.”

Twi’ shivered as she realized the weight of Shining Armor’s words. She slipped Spike into her backpack (and slipped a few books out) as she crawled out of the car. The hydra had realized by then that there were tasty little people nearby and its left-most head (the smartest one) had seen Shining and Twilight exit their car. The hydra’s heads roared as one head grabbed the new-ish car in its jaws and crushed it.

“My car!” Shining groaned as the hydra dropped the pile of rubble and twisted metal in front of him. “Aw, c’mon!”

Twilight backed away from the four-headed serpent as it fixated three of its heads on her. “Uh, Shiny? We’ve got bigger problems.”

“Right.” Shining pulled her behind him. “When I say so, run. I’ll keep it distracted.”

“WHAT?!” The hydra took this chance to strike at the two siblings. Twilight shut her eyes, waiting for the inevitable chomping, eating, and maiming that should have occurred. When it didn’t, she stared open-mouthed at her brother. His arms were outstretched at the serpent, and the hydra’s head was smushed up against a shimmering pink shield.

“Run!” Twilight jumped at Shining’s words. “Run, Twiley! I can’t hold this up for forever.” With that, she spun around and ran down the road.

Twilight dared not think about the hydra, or the fate of her brother, were he not able to hold up against the beast. Instead, her mind was focused on the road ahead of her, not tripping over her feet and shoelace, and not running into the trees that seemingly appeared out of nowhere for the sole purpose of steering her off track.

Just as she started to lose hope that the forest would ever end, it did. Suddenly and abruptly, this caused Twilight to lose her footing and trip head-over-heels. Spike let out a disgruntled squeak as he clamored out of Twilight’s backpack and onto her shoulder.

“I guess this is Camp Equestria.”