• Published 21st Feb 2014
  • 1,038 Views, 13 Comments

The Curious Case of the Unicorn Twilight Sparkle - The Rising Tide of Night



Ponyville has been plagued by terrible murders for the past few weeks. Why is Twilight Sparkle being interrogated as part of the investigation? And why does she look so guilty?

  • ...
1
 13
 1,038

The Journal of Twilight Sparkle - 2nd Week

May 19, 3 LR

Well, that was an interesting night…

I’m not entirely sure how much I still remember. My head is killing me right now. I took some painkillers a little bit ago, but it still feels like there’s a revolution going on just behind my left eye. I will apologize if my writing looks a little off. The headache is making concentration a little difficult.

It started out great, I remember that much. Pinkie Pie got here last, like we’d hoped, and we managed to jump out and surprise her. Even Fluttershy got into the act. After that, we all settled in to have a fun time, having some cake, playing games, dancing, and just talking together. Then Applejack had me bring out the cider, and that’s when it all starts to get a little fuzzy. The Apples don’t mess around when they brew their cider.

I think it was Pinkie Pie (it had to be Pinkie Pie, who else would it be?) who suggested I show everypony else my new research. I think it turned into a drinking game after that. I remember that after the first few rounds of changes, everyone asked me to make them into something specific. I think Applejack wanted to be a dog… Well, that’s what she was changed into, at least.

I distinctly remember Rainbow Dash asking me to turn her into Daring Do. I think she ended up as a tiger instead. At least I didn’t turn her into Ahuizotl.

Fluttershy finally got to find out what it was like to be a tree. Speaking of which, I see she’s stirring over among everypony else. She still looks a little green. I really hope that the spell didn’t leave any trace leaves –

Nevermind. She just ran to the bathroom. Different kind of green, based on the noises I’m hearing.

I think Rarity wanted to be a phoenix… Is a flamingo close enough? At least she’s not pink anymore. I don’t think the spell mixed with the cider very well.

Looks like Fluttershy is out of the bathroom. Good thing too. I think the revolution moved from my eye to my stomach and is using chemical warfare. Don’t think I’m going to be writing much more


May 20, 3 LR

Remind me never to have more than one bottle of Applejack’s special cider ever again. I don’t think any of us fully recovered from Saturday’s party until late yesterday afternoon. Well, aside from Pinkie Pie. She was even more hyper and energetic than she had been the night before. I don’t know where she puts it, but it seems like the cider had almost no effect on her. I wonder if that pony’s alcohol tolerance would be something worth studying…

Probably shouldn’t. That could get dangerous quickly. Besides, it could just be that she drank more regular water or something during the party, when we didn’t.

At least today everyone seems to be back to normal. Pinkie’s extra energy is infectious. I’m glad that the party gave her the boost that she needed, and she’s back to her normal happy, energetic self. I’m a little disappointed that I won’t have my report ready for the princess by the end of today, but I know that my actual deadline wasn’t until this Friday. That’ll give me more than enough time to make use of my special research materials and devise a few new experiments. Besides, now I can include additional information regarding the effects of alcohol when combined with a transfiguration spell.

I did take some time this afternoon to take a walk through Ponyville. It was nice getting out and about and seeing everypony once again. I’ve been so busy with my research and the party that I haven’t really had a chance to just relax during the day for a while. Well, aside from my lunches with my friends, that is. Speaking of which, I need to get my lunch schedule set up once more. Don’t need another week without those breaks built into them. I did run into Applejack at the market, and she agreed to meet for lunch tomorrow, so tomorrow’s all set. I’ll have to chat with the rest of the girls and get some days set up with them again.

Spike and I have a nice relaxing time at home this evening. I made dinner tonight (I even managed not to burn anything!), a nice vegetable stir fry. I even gave Spike a small hoofful of gems for dessert for being such a great help this week, and for putting up with us Saturday night. He does tend to get left out of our parties, especially when Applejack supplies the drinks, but he’s such a good sport about it. Tomorrow will be business as usual with both the library and my research, so he deserves a little treat.


May 21, 3 LR

This could be a problem.

I can’t find the special research materials I had Spike gather for me. I mean, I can easily get more; it’s just that I don’t want anypony messing around with them.

I just spent the entirety of the morning searching the library, until I was forced to give up. They’re just not here. Spike has no clue where they could have gotten too, either. Maybe my friends know where they are.


Well, Applejack doesn’t have a clue. I met her for lunch today, like we’d planned. I had to be circumspect when asking her about it. I’m not quite ready for anypony else to find out what I’ve got planned. It might touch off a nerve.

She invited me back to the farm again, which I was grateful for. Her family’s home cooking is always some of the best. I know I’ve raved about it before, but every time I have some, I have to put something down about it.

She was a little apologetic about how out of hand the party had gotten, given that she had supplied the alcohol. I told her not to worry about it, and despite the following day, we all had a great time. She also said that she didn’t remember anyone going into the kitchen at any time during the night, which doesn’t entirely help. I had to beg off before she asked too many questions about what I was looking for, which I did feel bad about, but she seemed unconcerned.

After leaving the farm, I used my desire to set up lunch schedules with my friends as something of an excuse to ask them about my missing research materials. Fluttershy was closest to the farm, so I asked her first. She looked a little overtired, but other than that, she seemed fine. I’ll bet some of the animals are giving her a little trouble for spending the night after the party at the library. She didn’t have any idea about my missing materials, but at least she agreed to meet me for lunch in a couple of days. Hopefully I’ll have at least gotten some new materials by then.

I caught Rainbow Dash napping in a nearby tree; she didn’t know what I was asking about either. Lunch with her will be tomorrow afternoon.

Rarity was just as clueless, but otherwise seemed to be doing fine. I’ll meet her for lunch in three days.

Pinkie Pie was happier than ever, and it almost took me getting Applejack to lasso her before I could even talk with her, she was bouncing around so much. She talked nonstop during my visit, so that I could barely get a word in edgewise. She didn’t seem to know what I was talking about either. Lunch with her will be next Monday, though I’m not sure it’ll actually happen. I don’t know if she really heard anything I said.

I ended up spending the rest of the evening designing further experiments and starting on my research report for the Princess. Even if I can’t get more of my special materials, this still could be one of my best discoveries yet!


May 22, 3 LR

The report’s going great right now. I’ve been working at it off and on all day. I did end up giving up my search and sending Spike out for more of those special materials. He groused about having to go out there again, but I promised him a nice treat for being so helpful. It seemed to mollify him at least, since he did go in the end. Once he gets back later this evening, I’ll be able to get started on some of my other experiments, which will make a nice addendum to my report.

Lunch with Rainbow Dash was a lot of fun today, for the most part. We ended up having lunch in her house (I cast my cloud-walking spell, of course), and I brought along some food to share. Would it kill that mare to clean up a little bit, though? The kitchen was a mess, and the living room wasn’t much better. I guess that’s the trade-off for being ‘awesome.’ Your cleanliness habits go out the window.

We did have a great time chatting about the latest Daring Do book, though. Of course, her theories about the series are getting more and more outlandish, I swear. Ahuizotl is definitely not a robot being controlled by the long-lost tribe of Mareyans.

I mean, really. It’s obvious he’s being controlled by Dr. Claw, her griffin archnemesis.

Ugh, Spike got back a little bit ago from his errand. Turns out he nearly ran into a pack of timber wolves, and wasn’t able to get any more of the research materials. That’s ok. I’d rather have my number one assistant safe than have him become timber wolf food. I can still get him his treat for being such a good sport. Better get to that before he starts sulking again because he wasn’t able to find what I wanted.


May 23, 3 LR

A nice breakfast today – Spike threw together another round of delicious grass pancakes. Aside from his triple-decker fudge nut cookies, these have to be one of his specialties. I’m so lucky to have such a talented assistant. I guess he wanted to make sure that I had the energy needed for my work!

Well, since I wasn’t able to get any other research materials, I was able to finish up my final report on new applications of transfiguration spells. Fortunately, with all of the prework I put into the report yesterday, it was a simple matter of filling in the final blanks this morning, followed by double- and triple-checking all of my data (see Twilight Sparkle, Research Reports, Volume XXVII – Report #2467 for further details). Maybe if I have another chance later, I’ll file an addendum to my previous report. I know Princess Celestia will understand.

Spike very nicely sent it off for me just before lunch. One more project down!

I had lunch with Fluttershy today. We ended up meeting at the Watering Hole café, where we both had the house special – garden mix salad with a side of a delicious vegetable soup. We did have a good time together, but I’m a little worried about her right now. She looks so tired, and there were a couple of times where I could have sworn that she had fallen asleep in her chair. I asked her why she was so tired, and it seems that she’s been getting woken up in the night by loud giggling right outside her window for the last few nights.

She seemed to dismiss my concerns, but I’m worried. That much lack of sleep is certainly not good for anypony. I offered to come back to her cottage after lunch and see if I could help her so she gets some rest, but she refused, not wanting to be a bother.

That’s Fluttershy for you, always so concerned for others. I bet it’s the CMC trying to get their cutie marks in spying, or something like that. I’ll have to have a talk with those girls tomorrow if this keeps up. I’ll ask Rarity if she knows anything. She’s got a spa date with Fluttershy tomorrow, and of course, she might have an idea of what Sweetie Belle and her friends are up to.

If nothing else, I just might have to invite her over and make sure she gets a good night’s sleep.


May 24, 3 LR

Forget being a little worried about Fluttershy – I’m really worried about her now.

I met Rarity for lunch today and asked her how her spa visit with Fluttershy was. She said that she showed up looking exhausted and promptly fell asleep during her massage. Apparently the snoring was a little jarring. It still sounds like this… whatever it is… is still keeping her from sleeping well, since Fluttershy told her the same story she told me.

I asked Rarity about the crusaders, and she said that Sweetie Belle hasn’t been going outside at night that she’s aware of. She says she’s something of a light sleeper, so I imagine she’d notice if Sweetie was sneaking out.

That does it. I’m going over there tonight to see what’s going on. I’ll get to the bottom of this.


May 25, 3 LR

I… don’t know what to do now. She’s gone.

I arrived at Fluttershy’s cottage last night, and it was dark. Seemed a little odd, but it was early evening, and since she hadn’t been sleeping well, I figured she just went to bed early. I peeked in the windows, but couldn’t really see much. Fortunately, Fluttershy doesn’t lock her door often, so I quietly let myself in. Everything seemed fine in the main room of the cottage, but when I snuck upstairs to peek in on her…

It was chaos. Her room looked like Rainbow had done her patented rainblow dry in the middle of the room. The bed was overturned, her bedside table had been smashed, and books were strewn about. Her bedroom window was wide open as well. But aside from a handful of yellow feathers, I couldn’t find any trace of her.

I spent the entire night looking for her, and most of this morning after I told the girls and the police what happened. I’m exhausted, but I need to do all I can to find her. The girls and I will comb the entirety of the land from here to the Crystal Empire if we need to.