• Published 2nd Mar 2014
  • 726 Views, 8 Comments

General Winter - SONBoomer



Whilst representing Equestria, their rulers and mentors for a festival (and lending a hoof), Twilight, Trixie and Sunset stumble upon an old legend of the Northern Region... That just may be true enough to change the world as they know it.

  • ...
5
 8
 726

It's cold...

The Equestrian Federal Triarchy, the planet's second semi-constitutional state and only de facto hierarchy that's actually ruled by deities, is vast.

Unarguably, it's largest area (even bigger slightly, than all the other regions), is the Northern Region.

A vast, plain landscape with large, open planes of tall grass, small tufts of forest and the occasional mound, several North-South oriented mountain ridges on it's east side, and two, East-West oriented mountain ranges at it's northern borders.

Two because they've been broken into a larger and a smaller section by an inner, tear-shaped mountain range on the western side, which hold the plateau that most Equestrians know as the "Frozen North" - the only place that is truly nothing more, but empty fields of ice, crowned by the peaks of the mountains that surround it, and home to the Chrystal Empire.

An icy river spouts from these mountains, dividing the plains, growing larger and larger, it's estuary tearing the mountains asunder, leaving a large area covered in shallow, icy water, and reefs large enough to consider the river mouth a delta.

But that's not the point...


The region, albeit part of the Equestrian Mainland, isn't part of the Equestrian Triachy. Well, not fully.

Instead, the region is governed by a political entity known as the U.C.C.R., the Union of Communalist Council Republics, or simply, the Union of Councils ("Союз Советский Коммуналистических Республик" or "С.С.К.Р." (or "Союз Cоветов") in Northern language, also known as the "North-Equestrian Council Republic" in Eagleland).

Much like it's feudal-sounding counterpart (which is actually a meritocracy, by the way), the state lacks any sort of political parties. The similarity promptly ends there.

The Union of Councils is a self-declared "proletarian state", or communalist state... For the majority of it's existence, this statement could be considered a lie, but in recent decades, it advanced towards this title greatly.

The term "republic", however, is actually fitting, as the citizens have the right to vote, and their vote actually matters... This was due to the system: consequent, hierarchical councils.

Every larger town had one - and there were no small towns, that's for sure. The weather and the great distances made every settlement with less than a thousand dwellers that was not larger than 100 square kilometers (and not connected by rail or airway) a communal suicide.

The local councils then elected the members of the district councils, who then elected the regional councils, or, if the district had larger city in to declare itself the district's - now called "oblast" - capital, then the votes would've influenced the election of the oblast's council.

The only place were the this impersonal democracy didn't spread was the Supreme Council, held, with an annually changing location, in one of the largest cities of the Union: the official capital Mosscow, the well-known battle frontier and part-time propaganda city Stalliongrad, the "intellectual capital" Linengrad, the "cultural capital" Neighgorod, the "industrial capital" Zhelezograd, the "science capital" Komkolzgrad, the "resource capital" Prokoptitgrad, the "agricultural capital" Niva, the "superfrontier" Romansburg, and Smallensk.

Just... Smallensk.


Currently, and for the next 10 years, Stalliongrad houses the Supreme Council, the War Consensus (mostly dealing with budget placements and new technological advancements these days), and all the commissariats - Education, Politics, General Economy, Security, Law & Order, etc...

The new agrarian conjuncture was one of the more discussed topics, but in comparison of the main event...


For that event...


...Was the coming of the Royal Sisters, one of whom, Princess Celestia, was the one who (eventually) granted the region it's authority, and enabled it to prosper, through blood, sweat and tears...


Speaking of which...

Said regal ponies where preparing to visit the Northern Region for the Pan-Equestrian Winterval Festival to it's current location...

But, just to make things sure, they sent forth their apprentices.

And on a personal note:


Celly's absolutely terrified.