• Published 20th Oct 2011
  • 5,157 Views, 188 Comments

Awakening - punisher143



Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash Find themselves in trouble, with their lives on the line. Will they get out alive?

  • ...
11
 188
 5,157

The Prinesses part 3

Celestia had only the vaguest memories of the Changeling attack on Canterlot which she had attributed to the pod the Queen had put her into. Even then she still remembered much and only found the portion detailing Twilight’s descent into the crystal mines worthwhile.

‘She had managed to figure out the Changeling queen’s plot and yet didn’t think it necessary to tell me?’ Celestia marked the place in the journal and set it aside to ponder over Twilight’s thought process. ‘Perhaps she thought I wouldn’t believe her? It certainly does seem that way and I must admit I don’t know if I would have believed that at the time. Hindsight is as much a double edged sword as it could be.’ Celestia was brought out of her thoughts when her balcony doors opened and Luna stepped into the room.

“The night is almost over sister,” she said with her usual air of grace, “have you uncovered anything new from Twilight’s journal?”

“No, all I could get through is her recollection of the changeling invasion all those years ago,” Celestia answered standing up from the cushion and walking past Luna out to her balcony. Celestia glanced back to see Luna flipping through the journal before looking ahead and concentrating on raising the sun. Once it was on its course through the sky she looked back at Luna and said, “I have to admit I’m troubled that Twilight saw fit to not inform me of her suspicions about the changeling queen.”

“I see it as her gathering evidence before making an accusation, a smart move on her part,” Luna interjected and glanced at Celestia. The sun princess was in the middle of donning her royal adornments for the coming day. “I would have done much the same if I was in her position. If your troubles stem from our inability to see through the ploy, you shouldn’t worry. Changelings are among the most perfect infiltrators in the world, so it’s hardly a wonder that nopony wouldn’t notice without thorough investigation.”

“I’ve long made due with those troubles Luna,” Celestia said placing her crown on her head and looked at her younger sister, “so don’t worry about that. Are you going to continue your investigations?”

“Of course, even if all leads are murky at best.” Luna closed the journal and set it on the cushion before she continued, “The best I have at the moment is the path Twilight Sparkle and her friends took in their pursuit. Even so the trail they left is long cold, but there are only so many places they could have gone. And you?”

“I’ll do what I’ve always done, lead Equestria and mull over what I’ve learned. I’ll see you at sunset Luna.” Celestia looked back at Luna as she set the journal down and looked at her. “I’ll be fine Luna.”

“I know, but I feel I have to worry about you. I’ll see you at sunset sister.” Luna gave Celestia a nod before moving to the balcony and taking off into the skies. Celestia followed to watch her sister for a few moments before taking a deep breath and raising the sun.


As Luna flew away from Canterlot she watched the sun rise to her right while she ran the journal’s content through her head. All she had were dead end leads and the trail that Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle had taken in their journey.

‘I find it doubtful that anypony in Fillydelphia would remember them, which leaves Manehattan as my next stop,’ Luna thought as she gave another powerful flap of her wings. ‘It’s been far too long since I’ve been there.’

The scenery of Equestria passed quickly underneath the moon princess until she approached the skyline of Manehattan, where she slowed down to a hover to pick a good landing location. Once she had settled on a small park she swiftly landed and started walking through the streets of Manehattan.

Of course, the Princess of the Night landing in the middle of the streets of Manehattan does not an uninteresting sight make. It didn’t take very long before Luna found herself nearly swarmed by curious ponies trying to get a look at her or a word in. Luna did her best to push her way through the crowds gathering around her politely and without injuring anypony, which seemed to only grow thicker the further she went.

Thankfully, after a rushed explanation that she was here for a casual visit, the crowds dispersed enough for her to proceed unhindered through the city. And what a city it was. Manehattan seemed to be one of those cities that always had something new to see when you go there.

‘I remember when this was only a small settlement of barely a hundred,’ Luna thought to herself and stopped in front of an entrance to a park; the largest park in the city in fact, being a bastion of nature in the middle of a concrete jungle. With no other option apparent as well as because she wanted to look around the park, Luna entered the park with the closest she would get to a skip in public. For the next few minutes Luna walked around the park simply taking in the nature around her and watching the ponies enjoy their day, including a group of ponies all heading toward one part of the park.

Luna followed the group to the center of the park and found some sort of event going on. All it really took was a quick look at the various banners with the Wonderbolt’s insignia on them to discern what was going on. Soon Luna found herself on the edge of a large crowd in front of a stage decorated in Wonderbolt blue and yellow. Even from where she stood the lunar princess could see the flying team on the stage, their captain front and center at a podium looking ready to give a speech.

“Hello Manehattan, how are you all doing today?” the captain spoke out and was rewarded with a massive cheer from the crowd.

‘I feel like I know her,’ Luna thought as she watched the Wonderbolt captain try and tone the crowd down to continue her speech. ‘Oh yeah, her name is Spitfire. We met at some official events.’

“Good to see that you’re all enjoying yourselves,” Spitfire continued when the crowd had died down enough. “Now I’m sure you all know why we’re here, so let’s not waste any time with that. We hope you all enjoy the show and I can tell you now, we all look forward with meeting all of you!” The crowd roared again and Spitfire, with a nod behind her, launched into the air with all the Wonderbolts behind her at once.

‘They certainly earned their title of Equestria’s greatest flyers,’ Luna thought to herself as she watched the team of pegasi fly through the skies above the park. In between the musing of how the crowd hasn’t noticed her presence yet, Luna thought some more about her reason for being in the city when a thought struck her.

“Twilight Sparkle spoke once of how Rainbow Dash wanted to join this team once,” Luna spoke to herself and watched the orange streak of Spitfire perform some intricate technique with a teammate. “Maybe they’ll know something about their whereabouts. It’s a long shot, but this whole situation has been one long series of long shots.” Nodding to herself Luna looked around the area she was in until she spotted a pegasus dressed in casual Wonderbolts wear.

“You, security personnel!” Luna shouted in a Non-Royal Canterlot voice to draw his attention. She knew she got it when he looked over at her, jumped in surprise, and rushed over to her.

“Y-your Highness!” he said kneeling before her, “We weren’t aware you’d be here. If we were, there’d be-“

“Consider this an unofficial visit,” Luna interrupted and motioned for him to stand. Luna looked up at the Wonderbolts and said, “We certainly have been enjoying the show.”

“T-thank you.”

“When they finish with their performance, can you inform the Captain that We wish to speak with her? It is… important.”

“Of course, your highness,” he replied with another bow, “They should be done before too long.”

“We shall wait here in the meantime. It certainly is a nice day to be outside.” Luna gave the pegasus another nod, which he took as his cue to leave. Without much else to do, Luna turned her attention back to the flying team.


Spitfire had been the captain of the Wonderbolts for almost ten years now, fifteen if you count the years before becoming captain, and she loved every second of it. Now Spitfire wouldn’t ever be so conceited as to say she has ‘seen everything.’ Mostly because she had long since subscribed to the idea that, once you say that, life will throw the biggest curveball it could at you.

Once her team had finished the flight show they had planned, Spitfire landed back on the stage and would have been perfectly fine with just a meet and greet with her fans when a security guard, a rookie who was still in training, came up to her.

Spitfire was about to speak when he beat her to the punch and said, “Captain, Princess Luna is here!” Spitfire had to blink a couple of times while processing that. “I know, but she said she wanted to speak to you when you were done. She’s uh…” he looked around at the crowd for a moment before pointing in a direction and saying, “Over there, by that big oak tree.”

Spitfire nodded and said, “Thanks for letting me know.” Once the guard had left the stage she turned to the crowd and, with a wave to get their attention, said, “Alright everypony, I’m sure you know what comes next!” The crowd cheered and Spitfire looked behind her at her team, tapping a hoof on the ground. Her second for the day nodded in understanding and started whispering to the mare next to her. “Unfortunately,” Spitfire continued, “a bit of unexpected business came up, so I won’t be joining immediately. It shouldn’t last long and hopefully I’ll be back to meet with you all.”

In spite of her expectations, the crowd’s cheers didn’t seem to die down at the news. Spitfire took to the air and watched as her team walked through the usual post show ‘meet and greet’ routine, leaving the captain to look for Princess Luna. It hardly took a minute of searching before she found the princess of the night sitting casually in the shade. Spitfire swiftly landed in front of Luna and bowed to the princess.

“You’re highness,” Spitfire said automatically.

“You may rise Captain,” Luna replied and motioned the wonderbolt up, which Spitfire did.

“You wanted to speak to me?”

“Indeed We did. We are currently looking for one Rainbow Dash and Twilight Sparkle.” Spitfire’s ears perked up at the names mentioned, which didn’t escape Luna’s attention. “I assume you are somewhat aware of their situation then?”

Spitfire’s response was to look warily back at the crowd and ask, “Could we talk where eavesdropping would be harder?” Luna raised an eyebrow in curiosity, but nodded in agreement nonetheless. The Wonderbolt captain took flight and gestured in a direction saying, “This way you’re highness. I know a good spot.”

With another nod Luna also took flight and followed Spitfire away from the crowd. Along the way she heard more than a few whispers of her name.

“Is that Princess Luna?”

“It is! What’s she doing here?”

“Must be important.”

“I didn’t know Princess Luna was awake during the day.”

Forcing down the urge to roll her eyes, Luna focused back to the task at hand and how she might explain the situation to the Captain.

‘But her actions are slightly suspect. Maybe she knows more than she lets on?'

Once they reached a suitable distance from the crowd, Spitfire and Luna landed next to a bench which Spitfire sat on. She removed the flight goggles shielding her eyes and sighed. Before Luna could speak Spitfire asked, “Are they in trouble with the law?”

Luna blinked twice before shaking her head and saying, “Of course not. Why would you ask?”

“I just… wanted to be sure. There were some things about them that just didn’t add up, even after what I saw.” Spitfire sighed again, turned to Luna, and asked, “So, what is it about, them going missing, or the thing that’s after them?”

Luna’s eyes widened in shock before she composed herself and, after a quick check for eavesdroppers, answered, “Both, though for the sake of clarity might you describe this… ‘thing’?”

“A big beast made of shadows with sharp teeth, red eyes, and the nastiest temper you’ve ever seen?”

“So, you’ve seen it for yourself? When was this?” Luna moved to sit on the bench besides Spitfire. The Wonderbolt captain rubbed a hoof along her head in thought before answering.

“About… two and a half years ago I think. It was at the start of one of our off seasons so Soarin, Fleet Foot, and myself decided to take a quick vacation. To this very park in fact, and it was here that we saw Rainbow Dash and her friend.”

“What happened?” Spitfire flinched at the strong look Luna was giving her, though she Lunar Mare meant no malice.

“Let me think, your highness,” Spitfire said with another sigh, “It… wasn’t exactly a fun day for us.”


Two years ago, a certain trio of Wonderbolts found themselves in Central Park. Even in casual wear, which certainly helped keeping them unrecognized, anyone could see who they were with a good look. Thankfully for them, that hadn’t happened yet.

“I don’t know about you two, but being back here brings back memories for me,” Soarin said with a small chuckle as he watched a passing couple walked past.

“That depends on what those memories are Soarin,” Fleet Foot replied, “but only if it isn’t the kind that involves a pan handle.”

“What?! No! Just… you know, street performances. Everypony’s gotta start somewhere, right?” Spitfire and Fleet Foot shared a small chuckle at their friend’s plight, causing him to sigh and say, “You guys are harsh when you want to be.”

“Oh lighten up Soarin,” Spitfire said and patted Soarin on the shoulder, “it’s just some harmless fun. Though I can’t say I’ve ever done something like that.” Just then a quick flash of color out of the corner of her eye drew Spitfire’s attention away from the conversation continued by Fleet Foot.

“I’ve never had to do anything like that either. Went right into flight school and worked up to where I am now.”

“Hey, I did too Fleet Foot,” Soarin replied.

“Then where’s this sentimentality about street performers coming from?”

“…A pony’s gotta make spending money somehow.” Another flash of color and Spitfire could definitely say she’s seen that before.

“Seriously?! Have you actually-“

“Did you two see that?” Spitfire interrupted and pointed a hoof at the sky she was looking at.

“See what?” Soarin asked and watched the skies Spitfire was pointing at and immediately spotting the trail of color. The bright rainbow trail shooting across the sky stopped all three Wonderbolts in their tracks as they all remembered the very familiar sight. “Is that…?”

“No way,” Fleet Foot added.

“It has to be,” Spitfire said and looked down to a crowd under where the trail of color was and then back at her friends, “let’s go see what’s going.” Soarin and Fleet Foot nodded and the three pegasi took off toward the crowd, curiosity on all of their minds.

The crowd themselves seemed fully drawn to the sight of the rainbow trail making its way through the sky, many complex shapes and patterns following it. Spitfire remembered seeing those very maneuvers once long ago, during the best young flier’s competition.

“She’s got some nice tricks,” an earth pony mare thought out loud.

“I wonder if she’s thought of trying for the Wonderbolts?” a unicorn asked and turned to the earth pony, “She’s got the talent.”

“Maybe that’s why she’s here? You’ve got a bit to spare, don’t you dear?”

“Well, yeah but… oh what the hay?”

‘Raising money? I know she vanished for a while but…’ Spitfire looked back up at the pegasus flying through the air and squinted, ‘Why would she be doing that here?’ As carefully as she could, Spitfire edged her way through the crowd to the center, sending a quick apology to anypony she nudged a little too hard.

“Thank you for your kindness.” A small voice reached Spitfire’s ears as she neared the center and, once she got a good look at who it belonged too, she could hardly believe it. Sitting next to a saddle bag and looking absolutely tired was a purple unicorn that she definitely remembered seeing before.

‘Twilight Sparkle?’ It was definitely the purple unicorn that Rainbow had talked about once upon a time, and it was apparent from a glance that she wasn’t doing so good. ‘Worn down’ was a good description of her, given the unkempt mane and bags under her eyes could attest, and her eyes themselves looked dull and glazed over. ‘She looks like she hasn’t slept for days. How is she even awake?’

While Spitfire wondered this, the crowd let out another ‘ooh’ at another trick that Rainbow Dash had performed over their heads. Somewhere in the crowd an Earth Pony stallion walked toward Twilight and put a few bits in the saddle bag in front of Twilight.

“Thank you for your kindness,” was the reply Twilight gave him, in the same tired voice she used for the last pony. The stallion didn’t seem to notice though as he withdrew back into the crowd. Spitfire raised an eyebrow and looked over at Soarin who gave a small shrug in response. Spitfire moved a hoof forward when Rainbow Dash landed in front of Twilight. She wiped her forehead and waved at the crowd.

“Alright, I’m done for now everypony. Thanks for coming out to watch!” Rainbow called out to the crowd. As expected a couple of ponies grumbled at the sudden ending, but the crowd started dispersing eventually leaving the trio of Wonderbolts with Rainbow and Twilight. Neither of them seemed to notice them as Rainbow turned to Twilight and asked, “So how did we do Twi?”

“Well enough,” Twilight answered flatly and started levitating coins into view, “I’ll have to count to get an exact number.”

“Ok, and then… maybe get some sleep Twi?”

“No sleep.” Spitfire glanced at Fleet Foot, who returned the curious look, and when she turned back Twilight had noticed them standing there and said, “The show is over.”

“Is someone still hanging around?” Rainbow asked and looked at where Twilight was looking, only to immediately jump at who it was. “Ah, Wonderbolts!”

“Yup, that’s us,” Fleet Foot answered and ruffled her wings slightly.

Rainbow Dash gave Twilight a slightly annoyed look and asked, “Why didn’t you tell me they were here Twilight?”

“I did, right before you noticed them,” Twilight replied and placed a bit to the side, “Fifty nine.”

“I meant- oh whatever.” Rainbow shook her head and looked back at Spitfire and said, “Sorry about that, it’s been kind of a long day.”

“It’s no trouble,” Spitfire said with a small wave of her hoof and added, “Have you two been in Manehattan for long?”

“Nah, maybe a couple of days. We’re not planning on staying long either.”

“Travel a lot huh?” Soarin asked sneaking a peek at Twilight. When Rainbow nodded in answer, Soarin said, “Well that explains why you didn’t get that invitation then.”

“Invitation?” Twilight managed to look up at Rainbow’s question.

“To the Wonderbolts Academy,” Spitfire answered. Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened and Spitfire could have sworn she heard glass break when she did. “We sent you an invitation to your address about a year ago, but we never got a reply. If you’ve been travelling a lot that would explain it.”

“The… Wonderbolts Academy…?” Rainbow slowly asked and twitched a little. When Spitfire nodded she turned to Twilight and asked, “Hey Twi, do you remember that spell that silences things?”

“Of course,” Twilight answered.

“Can you cast it on me for a little bit?”

“Tap your hoof three times when you’re done.” With that Twilight’s horn lit up and Rainbow’s head glowed a slight purple for a moment. When it faded Rainbow tried to talk only for nothing to come out of her mouth. She then nodded in satisfaction and, for lack of a better phrase, proceeded to freak out and scream at the top of her lungs with no sound to indicate it.

“Just give her a minute,” Twilight said when she saw the mixed faces on the Wonderbolt’s faces, “She just needs to let off some steam.” Not long after, Rainbow settled down and tapped her hoof against the ground three times. Twilight’s horn flashed once and Rainbow turned Spitfire and coughed once.

“Sorry about that,” Rainbow said, some slight embarrassment in her voice, “I really would like to join, but I’ve got some other things to do before then. You understand, right?”

“Of course. I hope whatever it is isn’t too serious?” Spitfire asked.

“Oh nah, just the… usual things.”

“We made 96 bits Rainbow,” Twilight said suddenly.

“Really? That’s pretty good,” Rainbow replied as Twilight closed her saddlebag and put it on her back.

“We should go, it’s almost dark.” Twilight took a couple of steps before stumbling a little, where Rainbow shot to her side to steady her.

“Easy there Twi, that’s why I said you should get some sleep. You can hardly stand up, let alone walk.”

“I have to agree,” Fleet Foot said walking around to Twilight’s front and getting a good look at her, “You shouldn’t be pushing yourself like this. Maybe you should get some sleep.”

“You don’t understand,” Twilight said slightly panicky, “I can’t sleep right now! If I do, she’ll drag me back there!”

“She?” Soarin asked out loud, though was ignored by Twilight and Rainbow.

“Come on Twi, those are just dreams right? Weren’t you the one who said there was no such thing as a ‘Rat Queen’ before?” Rainbow asked, shifting more of Twilight’s weight onto her. The unicorn coughed before answering.

“That was before Rainbow! Now…” Twilight coughed some more and leaned more on Rainbow, causing the pegasus to buckle a little. Twilight managed to say, “Dash… she’s calling…”, before collapsing fully against Rainbow Dash and falling unconscious.

“Twi? Oh crap, Twi you ok?” Rainbow said and tried to shake Twilight awake. When the unicorn didn’t respond Rainbow started to lift Twilight onto her back.

“Now I’m really worried about her,” Spitfire stated, already feeling herself slipping into ‘authority’ mode, “Are you sure she’s alright?”

“She’ll be fine,” Rainbow replied having successfully gotten Twilight on her back, “but I’m worried about her too. She has been doing this a lot lately and she gets worse every time.”

That information served to firm up Spitfire’s resolve and, with a glance back at her companions to see them nod in agreement, she turned to Rainbow Dash and said, “Well in that case, it wouldn’t really sit well with us to just leave you alone like this.”

“W-what?”

“You’re friend just passed out suddenly,” Soarin said pointing at Twilight, “And you really think we’re just gonna walk away like it’s not our problem?”

“Oh no, that is a bad idea!” Rainbow Dash said and backed away from the Wonderbolts.

“Why?” asked Fleet Foot as she and the others moved closer to Rainbow Dash.

“It’s… hard to explain, but trust me it’s a really bad idea to be around me right now.” Rainbow glanced at the setting sun and seemed to grow slightly nervous.

“Unless you give us a good reason Rainbow Dash,” Spitfire said advancing on Rainbow Dash and placing a hoof on her shoulder, “we aren’t going to leave you alone.”

“Look guys, I know you mean well, but…”

“How about until your friend wakes up?” Soarin offered. “If she’s fine when she wakes up, we’ll let you go on your way. Does that sound good Cap?”

“You read my mind Soarin,” Spitfire nodded in response before turning to Fleet Foot and asking, “Any objections Fleet Foot?”

“Nah, seems solid to me.”

“But…” Rainbow Dash said and, when she saw the trio of Wonderbolts weren’t going to budge on this, sighed and finished with, “I just hope you guys know what you’re doing.” With that she adjusted the unconscious unicorn on her back and started walking out of the park with the Wonderbolts following.

“Hey don’t worry, what’s the worst that could happen?” Soarin asked.

“Don’t say things like that.” Fleet Foot replied with an annoyed sigh.

“What?”

“Don’t say things like that! You’ll jinx us.”

“Oh come on, you don’t believe that stuff do you?”

“If something bad happens to us in the next day, I’m blaming you.”

“Are they always like that? They didn’t seem that way when I met them,” Rainbow Dash stated to Spitfire, who sighed in response.

“They can be professional when they’re on the clock,” Spitfire said, then with a smirk said, “This is how they usually are though. Trust me, it gets annoying after a while, hearing them argue like a married couple.”

“What?!” was the response from the trailing Wonderbolts, earning a laugh from Rainbow Dash and a bigger smirk from Spitfire.


During the story, Luna noticed that Spitfire’s demeanor continued to sink. Despite how Spitfire tried to put it, there was one thing she wasn’t telling.

“It didn’t end well when you met the creature, did it?”

Spitfire nodded solemnly and, with a deep breath, said, “We really didn’t know what it was capable of, and even now I really don’t know what it was.” Spitfire hopped off the bench, stretched her wings a little, and added, “But, even saying that and knowing what happened that night, I don’t regret what I did. If I were to go through that again, I’d still help Rainbow and Twilight. Maybe… I’d do a little better.”

“Would you… care to explain that?” Luna asked, earning only a shake of Spitfire’s head.

“I’m sorry, but that’s… still kind of raw. None of us really came out of that unscathed.”

‘Unscathed? That can mean anything, but she seems too crestfallen to explain. Best to not push the issue right now.’ Luna stood up from her seat and said, “Well Captain, this story gave Us much to think on and hopefully it will help Us in our own investigation. If there is anything else you would like to add before I return to you to your duties, I would hear of it.”

Spitfire looked thoughtful for a moment and then looked up at Luna. “You’re going to find that thing right? While you’re looking for Twilight and Rainbow?”

“Yes, I am sure our paths will cross.”

“When you do find it, kill it.” Luna, shocked at this request, could only listen as Spitfire added, “That thing… something like that is just too dangerous to be roaming around. I’m sure you understand that, your highness.”

“Kill… is a strong word, but rest assured Captain, it will be stopped,” Luna replied. Spitfire relaxed a little at that and held herself up a little straighter.

“Other than that, I have nothing else to add your majesty.”

‘She’s tough, even after all that’s happened.’ “Well then, you may return to what you were doing before. And, maybe keep this talk between ourselves?”

“Of course, Princess Luna,” Spitfire replied and gave one last bow before taking off and flying back to the crowd and her team in the middle of the park. Once the Wonderbolt captain was out of ear shot, Luna rubbed her chin and closed her eyes in thought.

‘Hm, the mysteries keep piling on it seems, and every answer just leads to new questions.’ With a sigh Luna took off in flight and flew over the skyscrapers of Manehattan. ‘Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash headed north after the wedding invasion. I’ll just have to continue following those footsteps.’

Author's Note:

Finally! For some reason Luna has become the one pony I don't like writing. I don't know, maybe it's the way she talks? I guess it doesn't help that I've gotten into both Dark Souls and Jojo so that eats up time as well. Ah well.

I'm probably gonna be focusing on this for a while so I can get some more stuff rolling here. In between the two things up there of course.

Once again, any kind of criticism is welcome.