• Published 9th Feb 2014
  • 576 Views, 4 Comments

Into the Cupcake Cellar - Ractrin



Rainbow Dash and many other poinies have gone missing, and now with only one clue to guide her, Princess Luna must find them before its to late.

  • ...
3
 4
 576

Section 1: Remembering the Rainbow Factory

Princess Luna stood on the balcony that looked over Equestria from atop Canterlot Castle. Her vision danced across the calm and soothing plains lit by her moon’s light. “It is a beautiful night tonight, sister.” Celestia said stepping out onto the balcony.
“Thank you, Tia. I tried hard this night. It’s been ten years since the Rainbow Factory was destroyed.” Luna said, looking up at her sister who was now standing next to her. Celestia’s gaze wondered to Cloudsdale. The city had grown some in the last few years, especially with the Rainbow Factory’s tyrannical rule over the city lifted.

“Has it been so long?” Celestia sighed.
“It has.” Luna looked back out across the nation. “Have you spoken with him any?”
Without looking at her sister, Celestia let a small frown don her lips.
“I have not. He has been…busy.” Celestia looked away, causing Luna to look at her curiously.

“Are you alright ‘Tia?” Luna asked, putting a hoof on her sister’s shoulder. “You haven’t been the same these past few years.” Celestia looked at her younger sibling, tears rolling down her cheeks.
“I still mourn the ones lost in Cloudsdale, Luna. I feel as if there was something I should have been able to do!” Luna reached around her older sister and embraced her caringly.
“It was not your fault, or mine. We were unaware of-”
“It was all because I sent you to the moon, Lulu.” Celestia began to weep, sadness and despair running down her snout and onto her sister’s dark blue coat.

“It was a necessary deed, Celestia.” Luna tightened her embrace, attempting to increase the comfort of her hug. “I was not myself. It was the only way to keep these lands safe from me, just like when we had to stop Discord.”
“Luna, those thousand years were the most lonely years I have ever experienced. I’m so glad you’re here. I do not think I could have handled that travesty a decade ago by myself.” the two sisters separated and looked at each other lovingly.

“Everything will be fine now, Tia. The factory is long gone, Discord no longer poses a threat, and I am no longer wrongfully angry at our subjects’ night time slumber.” Luna smiled as she hovered a small towel over to herself and dried her shoulder.
“Unfortunately there is but another matter, one of which I’ve withheld from you, Luna.” Celestia looked away, her vision caressing the grassy plains of Equestria as if searching for hope. The mare of the night hovered the towel over to her sister’s cheeks and dried them as well.

“And what matter is this?” Luna asked as she made sure to put the cloth on a nearby table for a maid to collect later. Celestia’s ocular orbs, glowing in the moon’s ambient light, looked upon the nearby village in the valley.
“Ponies in Ponyville are going missing.” Celestia said, her emotion unchanging. Luna looked at the nearby town with great concern. “Thus far none have been a Bearer, but I can only fear that it isn’t long before one is targeted.”
“Is there any idea who is behind any of this?” Luna asked.
“No. I’ve had my guards patrol the town sparingly. I hope to not scare away whoever might be doing this.”

Luna’s ears flopped down as she looked upon the city. “Is Equestria ever to experience peace?” she asked to no one in particular.
“It would seem there is always somepony in search of disrupting our tranquility.” Celestia responded. “I must rest, dear sister.” a disheartened sigh came from Celestia’s lips.
“Of course, Tia. I will continue to guard the night.”
“Good night.” Celestia said as she walked back into the tower.
“Good night.” Luna responded. She looked up at her bright moon, sadness caressing her soul. Who could be doing this? Why are they doing this? She hoped to know soon.

Rainbow Dash flew high above Ponyville, passing through clouds with vigorous punches. She wasn’t clearing the weather for work today, she was trying to keep in shape. Her forty year old body was beginning to show signs of age, and she was trying to beat it. She pushed her wings as hard as she could with her fore-hooves pushed out in front of her. She pushed through a couple of clouds and then headed outside of Ponyville as fast as she could. She narrowed her eyes as her momentum increased. She had to do it again; she had to make sure she could still do it at all.

A cone began to curve in around her. It’s gray crust almost fully engulfing her as she pushed as hard as she could. Her wings strained, her body ached, but she ignored it. The barrier broke and a rush of relief flew over Rainbow Dash as a Sonic Rain-boom erupted from the point in which she had torn through. She circled around to look at the rings of rainbows expanding outwards. With a smile she flew over to a nearby cloud and landed, her breathing heavy.

A low poof was heard behind her and she looked over her shoulder. An orange pegasus with a purple mane and tail had landed there. She was dressed in a Wonderbolt outfit that Rainbow Dash was used to seeing on Spitfire. “So you did become captain after all huh?” Rainbow Dash asked.
“Yeah I did.” Scootaloo said as she walked over and sat next to her adopted sister.
“I’m surprised you came and found me.” Rainbow’s eyes didn’t look at her sister at all, instead she chose to watch the last moments of her Sonic Rain-boom fade into nothing.
“It wasn’t hard Rainbow Dash. You always do your monthly Sonic Rain-boom here.”
“I’m getting older squirt, gotta stay limber.” Rainbow couldn’t take it anymore, she looked over at the scarred mare. A scar on her cheek, one across her eye brow, another on her snout. They were all Rainbow Dash’s fault. “Why did you come here?”
“I wanted to see you. Today’s the ten yea-” Scootaloo was cut off by Rainbow holding up a hoof in her direction.
“I KNOW what day it is Scootaloo, and I DON’T want to talk about it.” Rainbow Dash said, attempting to hold back tears.
“I just wanted to tell you, I forgave you for all of that a long time ago.” Scootaloo watched as the strong, stable mare she held up on a pedestal, fell and broke on the cloud they sat on. Rainbow Dash fell face first and became that of a child, weeping on the puffy surface. “It’s been five years since we last talked to one another, Rainbow. Please stop crying.” Scootaloo’s Wonderbolt training had hardened her, and if she was sympathetic any at all for Rainbow Dash; she didn’t show it.

“Your right, I’m sorry.” Rainbow said sitting up a little and wiping her face with the backs of her hooves. “I…I just still feel so guilty for what I did to you.” she looked up at the hardened orange mare.
“As I said, I forgave you-”
“STOP ACTING LIKE THAT!” Rainbow shouted, sitting up abruptly. Her shout took Scootaloo of guard.
“Like what?”
“Like Spitfire. She’s the reason why I never fully joined the Wonderbolts.” Scootaloo’s rigid stance softened and she allowed a smile to don her face. Rainbow smiled as well and the two came together in a hug. Scootaloo’s smile had let Rainbow know that her little filly sister was still in there.

“I missed you, Scootaloo. You were at the Wonderbolt academy forever. Did you have fun? Were you a wing pony? Was Lightning Dust there? Why’d they make you captain so fast?” she asked as she sat back and messed with the awards pinned to Scootaloo’s collared shirt.
“I know it’s hard for you, Rainbow, but slow down so I can answer.” Scootaloo said through a giggle. “Of course I had fun. I was actually made a lead pony, unlike you.” Scootaloo beamed with pride as Rainbow huffed. “Lighting Dust actually oversees the obstacle course, and I was made captain because Spitfire retired.”
“Wait…what!?” Rainbow’s jaw hit the cloud.
“Yeah, she’s almost fifty five, her mane is totally gray. She decided to take a job with the Canterlot Military.” Scootaloo smiled as Rainbow shook her head.

“Wow, time really has flown by hasn’t it?” She asked, looking away from Scootaloo.
“Yeah it has. I’m in my thirties.”
“Kid, you’re getting old.” Rainbow said as she reached over and gave her younger sister a rough rub on the head. With a childish laugh Scootaloo pushed her sister away and straightened her mane.
“Least my hair’s still purple. I can see plenty of places where your hair’s lost its color.” Rainbow just glared at the smiling Scootaloo.

A little later that day after the two had many conversations, they sat looking over Ponyville, remembering. “What are you doing today?” Scootaloo finally asked.
“Well, after a little party over at Pinkie Pie’s I’m going with Twilight to A.K. Yearling’s release of her last Daring-Do book.”
“Her last?” Scootaloo asked, looking at Rainbow Dash a little concerned.
“Yeah, looks like I’m gonna havta find something else to read.” Rainbow sighed.
“I’m sure Twilight will find something.”
“I guess so.”
“So the party at Pinkie Pie’s…who’s all gonna be there?” Scootaloo asked, her vision resuming its stare across the plains of Equestria.
“Just me and her.” Rainbow responded flatly as she poked at a portion of the cloud they were on with her hoof.
“Oh? That’s kind of weird that she’d only throw a party for you and her.” Rainbow Dash sat up and walked to the edge of the cloud. She gazed down into Ponyville and looked at Sugar Cube Corner.
“I know, but she said that it was a celebration for me being resurrected ten years ago. She knows that I hate talking about that day, so she wanted to keep it down low and between just us.” Rainbow said.

“Do you want me to come?” Scootaloo asked, looking at her sister.
“Nah. She only wanted me to go so I don’t want to upset her by bringing anypony else. Thanks though squirt.” Rainbow Dash spoke dismissively. “I gotta go though, the book release is in two or three hours and I don’t know how long Pinkie’s party is going to last.”
“Okay.” Scootaloo said as she stood up. “It was good to see you again, sis.”
“You too.” Rainbow Dash turned and hugged Scootaloo. “See yah later kiddo.” Rainbow took off from the cloud in a back flip, leaving the orange mare sitting there shaking her head.

Rainbow spun around to where she was upright and flew down into Ponyville. She flew low, but not so low that she would either hit a pony with her hooves or accidentally fly into one of the shops’ signs. Carefully she glided onto Sugar Cube corner’s street and looked at the cake-like building.

Its welcoming decorations of ice cream and cake frosting almost made Rainbow hungry on the spot. She licked her lips in anticipation for what Pinkie had in store for her. Without any further hesitation she skipped up the steps and went inside the shop. Mr. and Mrs. Cake were just closing up the shop. They were leaving early to visit Pumpkin Cake in Canterlot.

“Oh, Rainbow Dash.” Mrs. Cake said, seeing Rainbow at the door. “Pinkie Pie is in the kitchen finishing up your cupcakes. She told me to make sure you stay in here until they’re ready. If you like, you can have a seat at one of the tables.”
“Thanks Mrs. Cake.” Rainbow said as she sat next to one of the tables strewn about the store. She put one of her fore-hooves on the table and clopped it impatiently. She hated waiting, but she knew that if Pinkie was making a cupcake, and it was taking a while, it was going to be great!

A couple of minutes passed and the Cakes waved goodbye to Rainbow as they left. She returned the wave lazily as she continued to watch the clock on the wall. A subtle smell of baked goods could be sensed emitting from the kitchen. Rainbow’s ears perked up as a soft whistle seemed to approach the kitchen door. With a soft thud Pinkie Pie pushed through the swinging door and smiled at the rainbow colored mare.

“Hey Rainbow Dash.” Pinkie said as she walked out of the kitchen, a batch of freshly baked cupcakes on a stainless steel tray balanced on her back. She trotted up to the counter and slid the steaming pastries onto it. Rainbow had already perked up from hearing her name, but smelling the still warm dough made her dash up to the counter, her tongue hanging out and drooling.
“Pinkie Pie, these cupcakes smell amazing!” Rainbow Dash complimented as she looked each one of the cyan frosted cupcakes over with great desire.

“Well I made them just for you Dashie.” Pinkie said with a cute smile on her face as she watched Rainbow’s draw to the dessert with great love. “I know how much you love my cupcakes and to celebrate today I made them with extra life. Cause, y’know...you were resurrected today, ten years ago.”
“Thanks Pinkie. Sometimes I think you care about me too much.” The cyan mare lifted one of the cupcakes in front of her face and smiled at it. She let the aroma of the frosting and sugar enter her nostrils and it made her crave the pastry on her hoof even more. She couldn’t hold back any more. With one swift bite she devoured the whole thing; it’s warm sugary taste enveloping her senses. She smiled wide and licked her lips.

“Pinkie Pie, I’ll havta say. These are some…of….the….my head feels funny…” Suddenly the world began to spin and Rainbow stepped away from the counter, stumbling as each hoof step became harder and harder to make. “Wha-….what’s….going…on?” suddenly the world went black and Pinkie smiled as a hollow thump was heard. Rainbow Dash now laid sprawled haphazardly on Sugar Cube Corner’s floor, unconscious.

“And now Rainbow Dash, I can have you all to myself.” Pinkie said as her mane deflated into a flat style. She stepped out past the counter and looked upon the pegasus. “We’re going to have so much fun Dashie, I can’t wait!”