• Published 9th Feb 2014
  • 439 Views, 4 Comments

For a Fresh Start - Azure_Flame



Aero Azure has searched far and wide for a place to fit in. Perhaps coming to a new town may provide just that.

  • ...
 4
 439

Chapter 6: Flight

He more than overestimated how strongly he should've taken off. The bags on his back nearly stayed on. He quickly slowed down as soon as the bags pressed strongly against his wings. Too big a flap could've sent the bags sliding off into the rooftops below, and retrieving them would've be an issue. The mare took notice shortly thereafter, as she was flying ahead of him. She doubled back to be at his side.

"Too fast?"

"If you consider nearly losing your bags to the wind, then yes."

"They have special straps specifically for holding saddlebags on, you know. They even aren't that expensive."

"I think it would be best to buy one of those." A thought came to his head. "Wouldn't I have to attach it myself?"

"I think so. Maybe Rarity could attach it for you?"

"Perhaps. Either way, let's just fly a little more casually."

They flew on in silence. Only the sounds of the public below and the steady flapping of the two's wings were heard. It was a nice day, like most days seemed to be, with a light breeze cooling down the pegasi from the heat of the sun. The balance was just perfect, save for at the peak of the day. Azure's head shifted over all of the things in his vision, all of it quite peaceful. He gave a deep, content sigh as his mind's voice chirped up once more.

It's been a long time since I could just see everything like this. No duties, no restrictions, just peace.

The silence continued as they approached the destination. They came to a soft landing, barely upsetting the ground with a soft pomf. In front of them stood the hiring office. It was a small white building, not much larger than the rest near it. As they walked inside, the bell on the door gave a soft ding. The lobby was covered in various blues and whites, seemingly made to remove any nerves ponies might have. The mare went over to the couch on the right, waiting for him to go to the desk. He approached it, where a kind mare looked up from her seat with a smile.

"Hello. Do you have an appointment, or is this a drop in?"

"Drop in."

"Okay. Here's your number, come up when it's called." He was handed a little slip with a 5 on it. He went and sat next to the mare, who had removed her mailbags and placed it at her side.

"So, do you think you're ready?"

"Ready? Ready for what?"

"Aren't you going for a job in weather control?"

"Yeah...your point being?"

"They have a small test to see if you can work efficiently enough."

"If that's all it is, then I'll be fine. I bet it's only a small drill."

"If you say so."

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Azure's head began to scan the room idly. There was one other pony in the room, a stallion of a brown coat. He was reading a newspaper intently, as if he was searching for something specific in the paper. His head looked towards the mare next to him.

Perhaps this mare knows him. She has a better chance than I do.

She noticed him starting at her, and she locked eyes. She had a curious look on her face, ready to answer whatever he was going to ask.

"Do you see that stallion over there?"

"Him? Yes, I see him. What about him?"

"Do you know him, by chance?"

"I do. His name is Doctor Whooves."

Azure's face lit up at the statement. So that's who lives in that room. I may have to chat him up later to figure out what those question marks mean.

"Hey, what's up? You just got really perky."

"Oh, sorry. Thinking to myself. He lives down the hall from me, and I wondered why his job plate is all question marks."

The mare's ears drooped, and her face showed signs of sadness. "He doesn't really like to say. It's not something that everyone should know."

"If you don't want to say, I won't pry."

"Okay, thank you. It's a little too secretive, and letting that secret out would be dangerous."

"Dangerous how?"

"Potentially destroying all existence dangerous."

The blue stallion leaned back in shock. "Say no more. If that's what it is, then I'll stop it there."

"Number Four."

The two looked out from their conversation. The stallion across the room put down his paper and walked over to the doors beyond the desk. The receptionist gave him a few words not heard from their distance, and he walked through the door. She sat back in her chair and relaxed once more. The room fell into a silence once more. In the room was just the two of them. A few minutes passed as the two sat in mute. A couple of ponies walked out of the back during the time, one with a slip and a gleeful smile, the other empty hooves and an upset look. One could guess what happened between each of them. Soon enough, the mare at the desk put a hoof to her ear, then spoke off.

"Number Five."

He got up, and headed to the desk. The mare there gave him an optimistic smile, and some direction.

"Head down the hall. Check each of the room tags for what you're looking for. Weather jobs are in the back."

Why did she need to point out where the weather jobs were? Aren't they labeled like everything else? He shook his head out of thought and went the door. It was a simple hallway, covered in white all over. On each side of the hall were numerous doors. Each had a plate next to it for what they were for. Cooking, Sewing, Sales, Marketing ... The options were exceptional. However, he knew what he came for. He proceeded down the hallway, the blue carpets muffling the sound of hooves. At the end of the hall were a set of double doors, large with smudged windows up high. He proceeded through them to what seemed to be the backlot of the building. It was a small grass field, with a hill just beyond it. A large stallion with coach gear was off to the left, ready for anyone coming in.

"So you're looking for a job on the weather team, kid?"

The name given was obviously for intimidation, but it was still unkind to the ears. Nevertheless, he kept walking and answered calmly. "Yes, sir."

"Well, do you have the resume you're supposed to bring?"

"Why wouldn't I?" The comment was a little snarky, so he was ready for some talk back. The instructor showed no change. The paper was exchanged, and a set of eyes began running through the data. Once he came to a point, his expression changed ever so slightly.

"So you're from Cloudsdale, huh?"

"Yeah. I don't like it there much, though. Too many inconsiderate ponies."

"I'll say. Well, you should remember this drill then. Clear, Fly, Fall, Complete."

There was a small change in the blue-coated stallion's expression. Of course he remembered this drill, his final test of flight school. He was more than prepared for this. He leaned down and shot off with a sharp gale. He shot around in crescent shapes, hitting clouds on the edge of the curve, and setting up exactly to the next. Within seconds, the clouds set were cleared, and he once more arced towards the hoops. With the slightest motions, he breezed through all of the hoops. One last arc sent him up towards the sky. He held altitude for a brief moment, then proceeded to free fall backwards. The wind in his ears started howling as the ground neared closer. He closed his eyes with serenity, and held steady. The wind sounded strongly, and he didn't budge. The seconds faded into each other, one, two, three... everything seemed to slow down into a blur. Slowly, a set of cyan eyes opened to the ever-approaching ground. His wings shot out, and with a subtle motion he pulled level. He came to a skidding stop on the ground and faced the instructor with a look a strength that faded to near instantly.

"How was that?"

A hanging jaw was the only response. It shut quickly as the buff stallion attempted to regain his collective. "Well, I haven't seen any pegasus do that so well. I'm surprised you even did a full loop, closed eyes no less!"

"Loops are easy for me. I just closed my eyes to feel the free fall better."

"If you say so. Here's your work slip, –" he signed a small slip and handed it to Azure "– And I'll see you at the field to the east of town at 8 tomorrow."

A questioning look came to the stallion's face. "Wait, you're the weather coordinator?"

A blank expression was hurled right back. "Yeah. It's a small town, so higher positions handle multiple jobs at once. I both hire and coordinate. Is that a problem?"

Azure shook his head with a small smile. "Not at all. See you at eight."

He walked back towards the building doors.


The mare sat on the couch, shifting every few seconds. He had been in there for much longer than she was expecting.

What could be keeping him? It shouldn't take this long. Something happened back there, and that usually isn't a good thing.

Her thoughts got interrupted by the sound of a door squeaking open. Out of it came Azure, and he looked quickly towards where she was. He looked around a little, and came out towards her with a steady walk. She slung her mailbag on, and readied for his response.

"So how'd it go? You took longer than I expected you to."

"It went much better than I expected. I'll tell you on the way to the apartment.

She hopped off the sofa, and walked beside him out the door.