• Published 30th Jan 2014
  • 394 Views, 1 Comments

Forever - Golden Quill



Mercury and his sister were never that lucky in life. Their parents disowned them, the orphanage wouldn't take them. Without any money to support them, Mercury turned to a life of crime in exchange for their bread and butter.

  • ...
 1
 394

The Deal

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoy my first original story. I'm looking forward to writing more chapters for this, and it should be a fun little adventure for us all. ~Golden

“Is he coming?” The hooded stallion growled at his companion, “He was supposed to meet us here hours ago..” The small pegasus gave a curt nod to her elder, glancing down the long hallway leading out to the dejected and dark alleyway beyond.

“He should be, sir. He has never been late on a delivery before.” With that answer, the tall stallion smiled, content that his delivery was assured. “I mean, we did spend a ton of bits on it. Why wouldn’t he come through?” This turned the smile of victory to a frown of realization, causing him to turn on his young apprentice.

“If he doesn’t come, the boss is gonna be on your ass for what happened. I covered for you last time, and now look at me…” He gingerly lifted a hoof to his hood, sliding it backwards to reveal his bent and mangled horn. “You may be my little sister, but that doesn’t mean I can always protect you. Now shut up and keep a lookout for him.”

A soft creak, no more than a whisper in the otherwise silent building brought the two ponies attention to the doorway adjacent to their location. Standing there was a rather shady stallion, his wide brimmed hat hiding most of his facial features, aside from his mouth, which held a thin electronic cigarette. “I see you’ve been waiting patiently for me, eh?” Taking a puff of his cigarette, he began to approach the two. “Well, patience is a virtue, as they say.”

The stallion quickly set down his brown leather suitcase. A thing which was seen as disgusting throughout the land of Equestria, seeing as leather was made from dead cows. “An import from the Griffon Empire, if you’re wondering.” He let out a soft chuckle, setting the briefcase on the ground and opening it with a click of the lock. “This is the best shit you’re gonna see in a while, mates.” Inside were two bottles with a strange swirling liquid inside.

“Impersonation potions…” Muttered the older brother, a hint of awe in his voice. “These things are rare.” The dealer smiled at the two, licking his lips nervously.

“Might there be a tip for the delivery boy? I’ll toss in the suitcase with the potions for a little extra.” He looked up at the two, extending a hoof. The eldest of the two smacked it away, lifting the bottles with his mouth and setting them in his satchel. “We’re fine. I’m positive that our boss wouldn’t want that monstrosity in his home. Now leave, you’ve already gotten the payment.”

With that, the brother and sister left the building, galloping swiftly off into the dark Trottingham night.


“That deal went well, right Mercury?” The filly giggled up at her older brother, smiling warmly at him. “I mean, we got away without a fight that time, didn’t we?” Mercury looked down at his little sister, kissing her forehead. “That’s right kiddo, we got away safe and sound, with the merchandise at that.”

Mercury opened the door to their rather spacious home, flicking on the lights before entering. Scanning around, he deemed the house empty and took a step inside, herding his younger sister through the door. “Get upstairs and take a shower. I think that apartment had some mold in it or something.” At his command, she bounded up the stairwell and rushed to the bathroom, locking the door behind her.

Mercury, finally alone, decided to throw himself not-so-elegantly onto his rather comfortable couch. He let out a loud groan as he stretched his body out, working most all of the stress from his muscles. Reaching into the small drawer parallel to the couch, he retrieved a small tube of ointment and a roll of gauze. “Time to clean it and wrap it again..”

A flick of his ears told him his sister had hopped into the bath, the sound of the running water reaching him easily. With a lighthearted giggle, he began to apply the ointment, wincing and biting his lip here and there, attempting to block out the pain from his broken horn. After a few moments of self-torture, he wrapped his horn in gauze and sighed. Another lonely night at home, with only his sister to accompany him.

Mob life was hard, that was for sure. He was constantly being checked on by the other thugs in the city, and having his sister dragged into it all wasn’t any better. But it was the lifestyle he was thrust into, and a hard one to get rid of at that. He constantly told himself, ‘It’s all for Quik. Once we have enough money, we’ll move out of Trottingham and go somewhere safer. Perhaps Ponyville?’ Another sigh escaped his white lips as he closed his eyes, drowsy from his day of hustle and bustle around the city.

His last thought before sleep dragged him away was, ‘I need to buy more milk tomorrow.’


“Wake up Mercury!” A young voice rang in the stallions ears, squeaky and high pitched. “It’s time for breakfast! Come on! I made waffles!” He opened his eyes to see his giddy young sister bouncing around the large living room, her long, silver mane flowing behind her as she ran along.

“Alright, alright..” Mercury began to rub the tiredness from his eyes, sweeping his hind legs off of the couch and onto the floor, soon moving all four appendages onto the hardwood floor. “I’m up, see?” Now c’mere and give me a hug.”

Letting out a loud giggle, she leapt into his hooves for a tight, loving hug. A smile crossed the weary stallion’s face, causing her to giggle even more. “Now, lets see those waffles you made.” He lifted her onto his back, carrying her light pegasi form into the kitchen. The smell of freshly baked goods filled the air, and with a short look around, he caught the buffet set upon the table.

She had not only made waffles, but pancakes, french toast, and an assortment of other pastries. Giving a light kiss on his head, she leaped down and smiled. “Dig in.”