• Published 18th Jan 2014
  • 479 Views, 4 Comments

Kindred Spirits - viscolorus



Dusk Shine and the other Elements of Harmony aren't getting along too well. Will Twilight and her Elements of Harmony be able to help them?

  • ...
8
 4
 479

Chapter 1: The Beginning

A purple alicorn briskly walked along the corridors of the royal castle, eager to get to his destination. He had been called for a meeting by Lord Solaris, his ex-mentor and friend, and was excited to meet him. He quickly trotted to the location specified on the letter he had received, the royal meeting room which was guarded by two unicorn guards. They respectfully bowed and opened the door for him. He entered the room, expecting to see Lord Solaris, but was greeted with an unpleasant sight.

The room was a large cylindrical building made out of stone and mortar that had a dome-shaped ceiling. The floor was covered by a large circular carpet with beautiful gold embroidery on it. In the center of the room was a large stone table with gold designs. Around the table were nine golden chairs that had been elegantly crafted. Four of the chairs were taller and had even more elaborate design on the top. The other five of those chairs were occupied and it was who were in those chairs that ruined his mood.

His ‘friends’, the Elements of Harmony.

“How nice to see you again, Lord Dusk Shine,” A white unicorn drawled from the left of the table, his voice heavy with sarcasm. He had a curly purple mane that draped around his shoulders.

“Don’t push it Elusive,” Dusk Shine said venomously as he took his place on one of the taller chairs with his cutie mark design on it, “I’m not, or ever will be, in the mood to see you guys anytime soon.”

“Do you think I want to see any of them?” A cyan pegasus spat out, raising a jagged eyebrow, “I couldn’t give two bucks about any of you.”

“Come on guys, let’s not fight at the meeting,” A pink earth pony said anxiously, “You all know what happened the last time.”

“Yeah, Rainbow got a black eye and a broken nose,” An orange earth pony said, adjusting his Stetson, “Oh that was fun.”

“Want me to give you a few smashed ribs you low-life apple farmer?” Rainbow Blitz said, rising to his hooves.

“I could kick ya sorry flank inta next week, ya snobbish Wonder-flop!” The orange pony growled, rage burning in his eyes.

“Okay! Okay! Break it up!” The pink pony said desperately, “We’re not fighting again!”

Both ponies turned and yelled at the pony, “Shut up Bubble Berry!”

“What uncouth behavior,” Elusive commented loudly, “It is things like this that remind me why I left for Manehatten six months ago.”

Rainbow Blitz glared at the white unicorn for a second then settled down into his chair again.

“Where is his lordliness anyway?” The orange pony asked, leaning back in his chair, “For someone so important, he sure is slow.”

“Hey, don’t talk about Lord Solaris like that!” Dusk snapped, pointing a hoof at the orange pony.

“Yeah AJ, you should really learn some manners,” Rainbow Blitz said, smirking at him.

“Ah could say the same ta both of ya,” AJ hissed back.

“Silence,” A butter yellow pegasus said, in a threatening demeanor. He had a pink mane with a long fringe that covered his left eye.

“Oh yeah?” Rainbow Blitz said angrily, turning to him, “What’re you going to do if I don’t give to you? Huh Butterscotch? Run home and tell your mommy?”
Butterscotch moved part of his fringe and glared at Rainbow Blitz, causing him to freeze up and settle down.

“You know I don’t like using it,” Butterscotch said, allowing his fringe to droop back down.

“You’re lucky you have that,” Elusive said, polishing his hooves, “Or else you’d probably be much more injured than you currently are.”
“Alright, enough!” Bubble Berry said, “We don’t need to fight amongst each other!”

Suddenly, a black smoke erupted from the center of the table and quickly flooded the floor of the room. The smoke quickly thickened and bunched itself into tentacles that attacked them. The smoke in the center of the table seemed to melt and become a circle of violet liquid.

“What the buck?!” Rainbow Blitz yelled, taking flight, “Is this your doing Dusk?!”

“No!” Dusk shouted back, firing bolts of energy in an attempt to fend off the sinister tentacles.

“Help!” Butterscotch squeaked as he being consumed by the black substance.

“Forget ya!” AJ yelled, bucking open the main doors, “Ah’m leaving!”

As AJ ran out of the door, the black tentacles quickly wrapped themselves around his hind hooves and pulled him back into the room. The guards attempted to pull the orange farm pony out but the black tentacles whipped them across the back of their heads, knocking them out.

“Save me!” Elusive screamed as the tentacles pulled him in, “I’m too fabulous to die!”

Bubble Berry reached out and grabbed Elusive’s hoof, pulling at it. Butterscotch, Bubble Berry and Elusive were the first to become pulled into the violet liquid which consumed them whole. AJ was pulled in next despite his monstrous strength. Rainbow Blitz attempted to flee but was caught by a net of black tentacles and Dusk was eventually overcome by the sheer number of tentacles.
As Dusk was pulled into the liquid, he felt it was icy cold one second yet scorching hot the next. He gritted his teeth in agony as his whole being was pulled into the pool. Darkness enveloped him as he sank deeper into the abyss. He could not breathe, see, smell, hear or feel anything. He felt as if he had been removed from the world and was floating in limbo. Eventually, he blacked out.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Uhh…” Dusk said, rubbing his head with a hoof, “What happened?”

He slowly got to his feet. His head ached and his entire body felt as if it had been rammed by a train. He opened his eyes only to be blinded by the bright sunlight. He squinted and surveyed his surroundings. He was in a large green field next to the other five ponies that had been consumed by the violet liquid. The field was surrounded by large twisted dark trees, the Everfree Forest. Except for an area of it which lead to a town. There was a path cutting through the middle of the field, leading from the Everfree Forest to the town. The sunlight was ridiculously bright however, much brighter than back home.

He slowly got to his feet. His muscles complaining every time he moved. He spread his wing and checked them. No problems there. He casted a small light spell which caused an orb of light to float in front of him. No problem there. He heard groaning from behind him, he turned and saw Rainbow and AJ getting to their feet.

“My aching head,” AJ moaned, “Where in Solaris’s name are we?”

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” Rainbow Blitz said, spreading his wings, “All I know is that I’m outta here!”

He took off into the sky, leaving a jagged rainbow trail behind him.

“Hmph, show off,” Dusk spat out, stretching a little, “He won’t be able to fly as fast as he normally does in that condition.

“For once, Ah actually agree with ya,” AJ said, cracking his bones.

“Umm… hello?” An unfamiliar voice said from behind them, “Excuse me, but I have to pass.”

Dusk turned and his jaw dropped. He saw a purple alicorn with highlights in her mane. Just. Like. His. Her jaw dropped too.

“Well, Dusk,” AJ said, smirking a little, “Ya never told me that ya had a twin sister hiding somewhere.”

“Who’re you?” both alicorns asked each other in unison. Dusk then cleared his throat and said, “Beg your pardon, my name is Dusk shine, may I know yours?”

“Psssh,” AJ said, “You’re just acting polite for the sake of it.”

Dusk brushed off the comment and turned his attention to the alicorn before him.

“My name is Twilight Sparkle,” The alicorn said, “What I want to know is how is it that you look like me?”

“I… I’m not sure,” Dusk replied, thoroughly stumped. He had never been robbed of an explanation like this before. He then noticed her cutie mark.

“What?” He said, walking over and examining her cutie mark, “You have the same cutie mark as me!”

“Impossible!” Twilight said, looking at his cutie mark, “Why do you have my cutie mark?”

“Ah hate ta break up this here conversation,” AJ said, looking at the sky, “But it looks like the weather ponies are about to let it pour.”

Both alicorns looked up and saw that he was right, many pegasi had begun moving grey clouds to block out the once clear sky.

“You ponies should come take cover in my house,” Twilight suggested, “We need to move quickly. You can also bring your friends with you.”

“Friends?” AJ and Dusk asked as if she had just asked them something alien.

“You know, the concussed ponies over there?” She said, pointing to the three ponies on the field.

“Oh, those guys are not our friends,” Dusk said dismissively.

“Yeah they’re just some guys on the side of the road,” AJ agreed.

“Well we can’t just leave them here!” Twilight said, using her magic to levitate Butterscotch, “At least help me carry them.”

Dusk looked at AJ and shrugged. He levitated Bubble Berry and AJ threw Elusive onto his back as it began drizzling.

“Well, lead the way miss,” AJ said.