• Published 15th Jan 2014
  • 435 Views, 30 Comments

Swan Song - TheFierySkyMare



Swan Melody wants to do something good before she dies. It'll be her own little swan song, for lack of a better term.

  • ...
0
 30
 435

Happy Ending: Part 1

Author's Note:

This turned out being much longer than I originally expected, and it's STILL not fully done yet. Here, have this to tide you over.

~* Petal’s POV*~

Today was a special day. Years ago, I had been blinded by a Timberwolf. A few weeks ago, while my family was on vacation, my mother found someone who was willing to donate his or her eyes to fix mine. I levitated something with my magic, hitting against the post of my bed. I heard the sound of a bell, which signified that what I had picked up was indeed the cane I used to get around. I could use my magic to ‘see’ the world around me, but that mostly exhausted my magic reserves. I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. A delicious smell wafted towards me. My mother was making breakfast, as usual. She was the only one in the family who could actually do so.

“’Morning mom.”
“You’re up earlier than usual.”
“Of course I am! I’m going to be SEEING again! I wonder if anything changed…”

She pulled me in for a hug.

“You’re going to love it, dear. Now hurry up and eat, we have to get to the hospital early.”
“Huh? Oh, yeah! Right!”

I hurriedly shoveled the food into my mouth, barely able to contain my joy. I heard my mother chuckle.

“Calm down, nobody’s going to take it from you.”
“Sorry!”
“It’s alright, now let’s go.”
“Yes!”

I took several deep breaths.

“How long is it going to take?”
“I don’t know for sure. You’ll have to wait until the anesthesia from the surgery wears off.”
“Okay… I’m still excited!”
“I’m glad.”

I heard the door to the house open, and followed the sound of the jingle. I walked along the familiar path to the Ponyville hospital. I could practically feel the looks of pity burning into me from every angle. I don’t like being pitied. I hid behind ho I knew was my mother, hoping to turn invisible so the staring would stop. A comforting hoof stroked my mane softly.

“It’s okay, dear.”
“They’re all looking at me, I know it…”

She hugged me tightly again.

“You’ll have your eyesight back soon.”
“I know. Then they can tell me about everything I missed!”
“Right. Are you ready to go on?”
“Yeah.”

I continued walking, feeling the soft dirt underneath my hooves. I had grown quite accustomed to the feeling. I liked it, actually. Before I knew it, my hooves were on the cold tile floor of the hospital. I could hear the receptionist’s voice.

“Ah, Mr. Flora and Mrs. Gardens. You brought your daughter here for the surgery, correct?”
“Yes. Should we just go into the waiting room? I’m not exactly sure how these things work.”
“Don’t worry, everything will be fine. Your daughter is in good hooves.”
“I’m sure she is.”

We went to the waiting area. The minutes felt like hours as the clock ticked sluggishly onwards. He was just as nervous as I felt. I was excited, sure. But I was also extremely nervous. What if something went wrong? What if I was going to be blind forever? I felt my breathing begin to pick up, and my mother stroked my mane, trying to comfort me.

“Shh… you’ll be fine. Nothing will go wrong.”
“H-How can you be so sure?”
“The doctors here helped you before, remember?”
“Right, but what if they can’t this time?”

I felt a hoof tightly grip mine, and heard my father’s voice shortly afterwards.

“Don’t you worry, Petal. If they mess up, I’ll come in there myself! Hey, ow!”
“Hush you, you’re not helping any!”

I heard a set of doors open, and the sound of hooves against tile.

“Alright, Sweet Petal, it’s time for your surgery.”

I gulped nervously and stood up. My legs didn’t seem to want to work. The doctor patted my shoulder with a hoof.

“You’ll be fine. Now just follow my voice.”
“I-I can use magic to see… In a way, I guess.”
“Would you rather do that?”
“Y-Yes.’

I channeled magic to my horn, and soon everything was black outlined with white. I could see silhouettes of various medical personnel because of this. I had worked on perfecting the spell since the incident when I was a filly. One of the silhouettes waved a hoof.

“Can you see that?”
“That was you?”
“Yes, just follow me.”

The silhouette of the doctor started walking down a hallway and into a room at the end of it. I followed him quickly, only bumping into things a few times. There was one door that seemed to stick out. I stopped in front of it, trying to make out what the engraving on the plaque said.

“Swan…”

I shook my head. It seemed so familiar, but I couldn’t remember a thing. Why was that? It seemed so important.

“Miss Petal? Are you okay?”
“Oh? Yes, I’m fine. Just thinking about something.”
“Well, come on.”