• Published 8th Jan 2014
  • 375 Views, 3 Comments

The Formula for Love - MegaTJ



When business picks up at the Carousel Boutique, Rarity decides to hire a new employee. Will he be more than a worker, or will her mixed feelings ruin everything?

  • ...
13
 3
 375

The First Day in Ponyville

The First Day in Ponyville

Linen awoke to the gentle swaying of the train. He slowly opened his eyes to see that the sun was barely up. With a moan he turned over and tried to go back to sleep, but the movement of the car wouldn’t let him drift off again. He groaned and sat up. “Oh, curse my inability to possess a weightier sleeping capability”, he said to himself. He rolled out of bed.

The sound of the machinery rattling throughout the train was strangely peaceful, almost lulling the unicorn back to sleep. He shook himself free of any intentions of returning to sleep and levitated his toiletries bag down. He slid open the door and walked outside. It was empty in the hallway, as everypony was still asleep. Linen walked through the train and finally, after three cars, found a restroom. He gave the door a generous knock. With no pony answering, he entered the room and started to prepare for the day ahead. His toothbrush, comb, and toothpaste floated out of the bag. All at once, he loaded the toothbrush, shook himself free of his pajamas, and started to comb his nappy bedhead.

Meanwhile Twilight was just waking up. Unlike Linen, she rolled right out of bed, as bright as the sun that had just finished filling the room with warm light. From her bags, she levitated her brush and her mirror down from her travel bag. She quickly gave her mane a brushing and decided that her teeth could wait until after breakfast.

She turned to the sound of the door clicking back into place. Linen stood there, now out of his pajamas, holding his morning things. They took a look at each other, as if they were complete strangers again. Twilight was the first to speak.

“How did you sleep?”

“It was utterly delightful.” Linen had never had a better sleep. His very first night away from home was the most peaceful night in his life.

“That’s great. You have a very long day ahead of you. You’ll need all of that sleep for today.” She watched his eyes gloss over with realization.

“Indeed I do”, he agreed. He placed his bag with the others. Then a thought struck him. He didn’t immediately turn around.

Twilight saw the hesitation. “Are you okay?”

“What is Miss Rarity like?” he asked quickly. He turned around to meet Twilight’s gaze.

The unicorn almost laughed. “You don’t have a single thing to worry about. You and Rarity will get along just fine. You have a lot in common.”

Determining that he may not get the answer he was looking for, he nodded and changed the subject. “Is Ponyville a quiet town? I was told from several visitors that it was, but I think it would be best to ask a permanent resident.”

Twilight thought about the question. “Well, for the most part Ponyville is quiet, though once you get to the market it does get a bit busy. I guess the best thing to say is that if you want to find peace and quiet you will.”

Her answer put the male unicorn at ease. He was so worried that the comments of the town were lies and he would be living in another restless metropolis. He sat on his bed absently, more questions about Ponyville entering his curiosity.

The next hour or so was spent with aimless conversation. The two talked about everything from hobbies to books. The breakfast trolley came around, but neither was hungry enough to grab anything from it. It was during one of the periods of silence when Linen spotted something out of the window. He rushed over to it. He squinted hard to try to focus on what had captured his attention.

“Would that happen to be…?” The excitement in his voice told Twilight what he saw.

“Yep”, she said without getting up, “That’s Ponyville. We’ll be there in a few minutes now.”

Linen didn’t say anything else. He just kept his eyes fixed on the collection of tiny buildings in the country side. Almost there…he thought.

_________________

The long whistle of the Ponyville Express echoed throughout the small station. Despite the time of morning, it was already busy with the early commuters. A white unicorn did her best to navigate her way through the crowd. She was certainly surprised to see so many ponies today. It usually wasn’t this busy.

“Oh, I hope Linen Fiber doesn’t mind”, Rarity said to herself, “He specifically told me that crowds didn’t appeal to him much.”

She kept walking through the crowd, trying to get to the train. It got harder as the passengers started to unload out into the station. She kept wading through the other ponies until a voice called out to her.

“Rarity!”

She turned her head to see Twilight trotting up to her. A light gray unicorn followed behind her. He was levitating quite a few bags behind him.

“Twilight!” Rarity gave her friend a generous hug. “How was Trottingham? Did you enjoy your trip?”

“It was great Rarity”, Twilight replied, “I wish I could have stayed longer.”

“That’s magnificent to hear.” Rarity glanced over Twilight to see a colt cleaning his glasses. “Twilight, would this happen to be?”

Twilight stepped aside and held out her hoof. “Rarity, I would like you to meet my new friend, Linen Fiber.”

Rarity almost pushed Twilight aside. She walked right up to the gray unicorn, who had just finished cleaning his glasses.

“Linen Fiber…” she said, extending out her hoof. “I am Rarity. It is so nice to meet you!”

Linen shook her hoof. “Miss Rarity of the Carousel Boutique…It truly is an honor to meet you.”

Twilight gave them a smile before disappearing into the crowd. She understood what was happening and knew they wouldn’t need her around for it. First introductions were always the most important.

“You are just as I have imagined you”, Rarity commented as she circled him. “Pristine, well groomed, confident…”

Linen remained silent. He couldn’t speak for through the attention he was getting. It was about maybe the second time she passed in front of him when he forced himself to speak.

“Thank you”, Linen replied, “And you are just as beautiful as everypony says.”

Rarity stopped. “Why thank you. I’ve never met a pony as straightforward as you.”

He snapped to attention, mostly in embarrassment. His cheeks were as red as can be. “I apologize. I do not usually speak my mind. I was captivated by your elegance.” Oh, why must my mouth stay in motion?

“There is no need to be embarrassed I assure you”, Rarity said, “Honest comments never hurt anypony.”

“Y-yes.” Linen swallowed hard and exhaled deeply.

“Now that we have been properly introduced, I think it is time I welcomed you to your new home.”

Linen’s heart hit his throat. “That would be marvelous!”

“I’m delighted you think so.” She turned. “If you would kindly follow me, I will show you there.”

She began to walk out of the station. Linen hurriedly picked up his things and walked beside her. “Where is it located exactly?”

“Not very far from the Carousel Boutique. A very good friend of mine owns it. I shall introduce the two of you later today”, she explained.

“Miss Rarity I must thank you for all that you have done. I simply cannot fathom how much trouble you have gone through for me.”

“Oh, it’s nothing. It’s my pleasure.”

Linen couldn’t decide on what to say next, so he remained quiet. They walked on in silence. The sun had by then gotten higher in the sky and was now releasing its furious heat upon Ponyville. It didn’t bother Linen, though. It got at least twice as hot back in Trottingham. Rarity was too busy minding the path ahead to notice. They passed a few shops and Linen noted a few he would like to stop by later.

“I hope you are finding Ponyville as quiet as I had promised”, Rarity said in an attempt to strike up conversation.

Linen took a moment to let his ears take in the surrounding bustling. “It is very peaceful”, he replied, “I can hear myself think clearly.”

“I think you will appreciate the fact that I have personally picked your home in the quietest part of Ponyville available.” She gave him a generous glance.

“I give you my sincerest of thanks, Rarity. I promise I will work hard for you in an attempt repay you.”

“Oh!” Rarity stopped in surprise. “Linen”, she said stepping aside, “Welcome to your new home!”

The unicorn looked up and gasped at the sight in front of him.

It was a two story, pure white house. The front door was preceded by a spacious and beautiful covered deck. Wind chimes and humming bird feeders were strung from the raptors. The perimeter of the deck was surrounded by white and yellow flowers.

Linen stared at the structure and took in its every perfect detail. Rarity walked up the three stairs of the deck and levitated two keys and a note taped to the door. Linen noticed her wave him over. He anxiously made his way to her.

“What does the message say?” He pushed his glasses back up the bridge of his nose.

“It appears my friend Roseluck had to leave for an emergency. She was going to show you around the house, but has asked me to do so instead.” She folded the paper up and gave it and the two keys to him. She pushed the door open. “Let us take a look inside, shall we?”

“Certainly!” Linen stuffed the keys and note into one of his bags, and followed Rarity inside.

The inside was spacious, and was completely furnished!

“I recall Rose mentioning something about your freedom to decorate if you desire to do so”, Rarity explained.

Linen dropped his things by the staircase. “I had my hopes set on self-decoration”, he replied, “I know a few Transformation spells that will most definitely suit my fashion needs.”

“I take it you are a pony of exquisite taste?” Rarity turned to face him. A grin of appreciation had formed on her face.

“I am uncertain about that, but I do choose styles that seem to be, how could I explain this, exotic, or strangely different from most other ponys’ fashion tastes”, he said bubbly.

“How far exactly does your fashion sense deter from what some ponies would call the ‘normal standards?’” Rarity asked curiously.

Linen thought about it. I suppose that it couldn’t hurt…he thought. “It will be best if you could be presented with a visual example rather than an explanation. If you have no previous engagements planned for tonight, I would like to invite you to dinner. I could show you then.”

Rarity hesitated. She didn’t see that coming. “I-I would love to join you for dinner tonight.”

Linen’s heart hit his throat. “That’s marvelous!” he exclaimed, “I’ll have dinner on the table at six sharp.”

“I will arrive right on time.” Rarity turned. “Please get accustomed to your new home. I’ll leave you to unpack your things and get settled in.”

And with that, Linen watched her disappear through the door.

“That was an abrupt exit”, Linen mumbled to himself. He glanced to his bags and decided that he may as well make the house his own. He levitated one bag, his outfit bag, to him. He looked around the room for a closet and spotted one near the front door. He opened it to find that it was very spacious.

He opened the bag and the craziest thing popped out of it. A short, dark blue pony with a gray and green mane landed on the floor proudly. A blue cape tied around his neck bore the initials C.T.

“Captain Threads!” the colt announced proudly, “Ready to fight evil and repel doom everywhere it dwells!”

“COTTON!?” Linen exclaimed. “What it the names of Luna and Celestia do you call yourself!? Having stowed away in my bags!?”

“That’s Captain to you”, Cotton retorted. “And I am your little brother!”

“No, boy, I mean, what in the hoof are you doing here”, Linen asked. He eyed his brother darkly.

“Oh!” Cotton reached under his cape and withdrew a note sealed with a pink diamond from the bag he had just emerged from.

“A note from Mother?” Linen snatched it up and tore it open.

Dear Linen,

I have the most wonderful news for you! Your little brother was worried sick about you leaving and has decided he wants to come with you. For fear of you saying “no”, he has decided to tag along in one of your bags. Your father and I shall provide transportation of his things to your new home. Take good care of him, and no fighting whatsoever!

Love,

Pin Cushion

Linen read it again and again, hoping that it was just a very horrible figment of his imagination. But after he decided it was not going away, he admitted defeat.

He looked down to see Cotton hadn’t moved from his spot.

“Go select the room of your desire”, Linen half-ordered.

“Yay!” Cotton disappeared upstairs in a flash.

The older unicorn put a hoof to his head. “Oh, how am I to explain this to Rarity and Roseluck?” he asked himself. “I had not in the least bit expected this turn of events.”

He listened as he heard Cotton running around the second story. He smiled to himself as a thought struck him. “What better way to cope with the change without at least taking a small part of home along with me?”

He shook himself free of the little remaining frustration. Peering into Cotton’s travel bag, he found that the blue unicorn had stuffed it with food and snacks for the trip. He’s just as smart as his big brother, Linen’s mother’s voice echoed in his head.

“I must say, that frightens me”, he said with a chuckle.

“Big Brother! Come look!” Cotton yelled from upstairs.

He left the closet to go find where his brother had wandered. “What is it?” he asked as he ascended the last stair. Another set of stairs led into the ceiling from the hall. At the top of the retractable steps was Cotton, smiling proudly at his discovery.

“Come on up!”

The attic was hot and stuffy, as was to be expected. It was also renovated! The rafters both for the roof of the house and the ceiling of the second story were boarded over, making a new room. Light poured in through a large, round window that Linen assumed must have been located at the back of the house facing away from town.

“Roseluck must not have anticipated any tenant to use this for a room.” Linen assumed. It was empty, not a single piece of furniture was to be found.

“My room!” Cotton announced.

“Very well”, replied Linen, “But we will first need to install a bit of ventilation. We wouldn’t want you to bake in the heat.”

“I’ll be fine, for nothing can harm Captain Threads!” He pounded his chest.

Linen rolled his eyes. “Well, I for one am close to spontaneously combusting.” He wiped the sweat from his brow. “Back downstairs. We have much to do.”

With a bit of a struggle, he dragged Cotton from his new room and into the cool hallway of the second floor. “Now.” He turned after the attic stairs snapped closed. “Since your things have yet to arrive in Ponyville, you have no chores for the time being.”

“YES!”

“However”, Linen continued, “You must stay out of my way until the house is fully functional. I have a tremendous amount of work to accomplish, and I cannot simply have you interrupting me.”

Cotton nodded. “But how am I supposed to have fun?”

Linen gave it some thought. If mother thought it safe enough to let him roam throughout Trottingham, then it would be perfectly safe to let him roam around Ponyville.

With a brotherly smile, he said, “You may go outside to play. But return home before five-thirty.”

With a yelp of cheer, the young colt dashed downstairs and out the door.

Linen turned and focused energy to his horn to set out for redecoration.

________________

“Hmm…” Rarity hummed to herself. She levitated two dresses in front of her, trying figure out which would amaze Linen more. “What do you think, Opal?”

She turned to the cat’s usual perch to find that she wasn’t there. “Oh, of course…” Rarity remembered. “Opal is spending the day with Fluttershy and Daylight. That’s too bad; she always knows what looks best on me.”

She returned to alternating the dresses. The task was becoming more and more frustrating by the second. Suddenly, the boutique’s bell rang. She immediately set the dresses down on the display stand in front of her mirrors. The unicorn turned around and saw Twilight crossing the room.

“Twilight”, she greeted happily. “To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?”

“I have a favor to ask of you, Rarity”, the Element of Magic replied.

“What is it, dear? I’ll be happy to do it!”

“Well, you see, Dream Runner’s birthday is next week, and I’ve been looking around for a gift for him—”

“And you want me to make him a stunning vest or jacket for his party? How thoughtful!” Rarity interrupted. She levitated a quill and note pad up to her.

“Actually”, Twilight continued, “He mentioned something about a traveling cloak when I got back to the library.”

“Even more appropriate for an explorer like him!” Rarity jotted down a few ideas and made side notes for needed materials.

Twilight glanced over Rarity to see that a few of the dress racks had been practically turned upside down. As a matter of fact, the entire room looked like an earthquake had shaken it apart. “…Is everything okay in here?”

Rarity stared at her blankly for a moment. Then she traced her gaze to the big mess behind her. “Oh, yes, all is well. I just have a small dinner date tonight and finding the right dress has been rather, well, challenging.”

“I can help.”

“Oh, Twilight, I can’t possibly—”

“Rarity, it’s fine. It won’t take long”, Twilight interjected. Then she added with a wink, “And besides, I know what Linen will like to see you in.”

“How…”

Twilight giggled. “Just a hunch.” She picked a couple of dresses from off the floor. “Now, let’s get you ready for that date!”

I know I’m late with this update, but school and work have been murder. Anyways, I struggled a little with this chapter, so any support would be largely appreciated.