• Published 3rd Jan 2014
  • 1,953 Views, 2 Comments

The Throne of Tirek - drunkenpandaren



1500 years is a very long time to be immortal, and young. As the mane six will discover, their world has a much larger history than that.

  • ...
3
 2
 1,953

Of Moochicks And Improv

Crystal Empire, Present Day

"Sundancer, you seeing this?" inquired a scientist as she continued to take readings at the old monitors.

"Yeah I do, Firefly," replied the other crystal pony. "Should we keep an eye on it for now?"

"What else can we do? Our job is to keep a monitor on the energy readings of the old ruins while the Guard checks it out from top to bottom. Energy spikes that huge though, maybe we should radio in..."

"Agreed." Firefly trotted over to the radio set up and placed the headset on. "Station 1 to Far Reach Outpost. Come in, Far Reach."

"Far Reach here," replied a male voice.

"What's your status over there? We noticed an energy spike on the monitors."

"We had some minor excitement over some spilled Dark Energon," replied the voice. "But everything is all right. The Guard is here and we're cleaning it up."

"Don't touch any of that stuff, and make sure the hazmat team is cleaning it properly," chided Firefly. "Station 1 over and out."

Far away over in Far Reach Outpost, the speaker set the radio down in its cradle as he chuckled deeply. "Oh don't worry, my little ponies, the Blood of Unicron will be cleaned up, as it were."

Turning around, he gazed across the ruins as he flexed his newly acquired body. This metal shell was far more durable than he imagined, it was no wonder that accursed Wheeljack had hit him so hard before. Around him, the bones of his old followers littered the floor. "This will not do," murmured the form as he clenched a hand and made a grasping motion.

Broken machinery from the ruined Vehicons started to rumble and roll around, wrapping around the bones, clamping to them as the bones rose with draconic roars. "Arise, and serve your master," hissed the tyrant. "Rise, my Stratadons!"

Tucked away, and under guard by lizard-men carrying spears, Starscream hung his head at the shouting. "Oh, not again with the zombies..."

=====

A warning klaxon interrupted the storytelling at that moment, as ponies leaped to red alert. "What's happening?" inquired Bumblebee, tabbing his communications.

"We've got an incoming priority one message from the Crystal Empire," relayed the tech. "I'm putting it on the screen now for you, sir."

Turning towards the screen behind Celestia as she turned around, the wall flickered as a blurry camera full of static was seen, and the screeches of dragons or at least dragon-like wyrms could be heard. "UNIT can you read?" called out Shining Armor. "This is the Crystal Empire."

"Shining!" exclaimed Twilight as the world around him exploded and the camera was knocked off-kilter. "SHINING!"

Holding her down, Applejack tensed up. It was like watching one of Big Mac's videos from the training fronts, but worse. Fortunately, the camera righted itself as he grinned. "Hey Twiley, no time for pleasantries. There's an attack on the kingdom. Fifty, no maybe sixty at the most. The Royal Guard has taken wing and we're fighting back as best as we can. Any available Autobots in the area have joined the fight as well, but we're just holding our line."

He twisted the camera around to quickly capture the view: a fanged maw and bones, tail and spines. It looked like a dragon, but fused with violet parts from broken Vehicon parts. The camera turned back to them. "Princess, you'll need to have your people step it up a notch. These Terrorcon rip-offs are nothing but trouble since they keep getting back up. Find the source controlling it and get it to the Empire ASAP. We'll slow them down."

"Understood. Good luck, Captain Armor," replied Celestia as Shining Armor vanished from the screen. "Bumblebee, I defer to your decision in this situation."

Bumblebee nodded as he turned to Arcee and Wheeljack. "You don't mind me taking charge in this one?"

"Kid, I've got a lead I want to pursue, but not yet. I'll follow orders. For now," replied Wheeljack.

"You've always got my back, Bee, and I've got yours," confirmed Arcee. "What's the plan?"

"We take this advantage. Lyra, get the co-ordinates for the ruins. We'll start there. Princess Twilight, with your permission, I'd like you and your team to accompany us."

"Me too, right?" inquired Spike. "I mean, I've helped plenty of times."

"Spike, no, you're just a baby dragon," said Twilight suddenly. "Those were creatures that couldn't be reasoned with, attacking my brother. I don't want you getting hurt!"

"Twilight, I know how you feel," said Applejack. "Your big brother is out there fighting those whachamacallits--"

"Terrorcons," supplied Lyra.

"Them things. And we know how protective you are of Spike."

"But don't forget darling that Spike saved the Crystal Empire, and it lauds him as a hero," said Rarity. "He is as much of an adult as the rest of us."

"Yeah, and really we've left him out of the loop way too many times. He's our pal, and we don't leave him behind. Right, Fluttershy?" added Rainbow Dash.

Fluttershy startled but nodded. "Even if he is a baby dragon, Spike is a good friend. I couldn't possibly leave him behind."

"It'll be like the old stories then!" giggled Pinkie Pie. "Let's get this party started!"

"Then it's settled. Everypony, prepare for departure. Take what you need, travel light. We will ground-bridge you there in fifteen minutes," decided Celestia. "Be strong, my little ponies. Once again, the fate of Equestria rests in everypony's hooves."

=====

The ground-bridge opened up with a burst and a flicker before blossoming into a swirling energy field. From it, three vehicles roared out, carrying passengers before skidding to a halt. Opening their doors, it let out several ponies, a few who looked green. Rainbow Dash fluttered through and the bridge collapsed on itself. "That wasn't so bad," said Applejack, coughing a little as she got out of Wheeljack's passenger seat as Rarity looked distinctly green.

"No vomiting on my carpets," reminded Wheeljack, transforming back into robot mode. Pinkie Pie was removing her helmet as she got off Arcee with a bounce and sported a wide grin.

"I could get used to that!"

"That's what Shiny used to say," said Arcee. "He and I would ride around a lot during missions."

With Fluttershy, Lyra, Twilight and Spike getting out of Bumblebee, he returned to robot mode and held up a scanner. "I'm not picking up any life signs, biological or organic. I am picking up some residue for Energon though."

"Probably from where they mined it out," replied Wheeljack. "I'll take point. That way you'll have more time to run when I throw a grenade."

"What's a grenade? Is it anything like a Party Cannon?" inquired Pinkie curiously.

"Pinkie, no," deadpanned Lyra but then Wheeljack laughed. "Jackie, no. You are not introducing her to explosives."

"C'mon, a little TNT never hurt anyone," replied Wheeljack as they got closer to the ruins.

The mood lightened a little more considerably, the team descended down into the ruins as Bumblebee switched on his headlamps. "Oh, very nice darling, it was getting so dreary in here," remarked Rarity as she lit up her own horn.

"Not much has changed, has it; still dark, still damp..." Wheeljack descended further and leaped down a level before he nodded. "It's still here."

"What's still here?" asked Rainbow Dash as she floated down next to him, wings beating.

Wheeljack drew a massive katana from his back and slashed the overgrown vines, revealing ruined ancient curtains which crumbled at the touch. "Tirek's throne. Man, that guy was an ass; he would sit from here and ramble on about the forces of darkness."

"M-maybe we shouldn't touch it, it's bad for us," said Fluttershy, shying away from the throne which seemed simple at first but appeared to exude a level of malevolence that lingered in the air.

"Ah agree with that," said Applejack. "I'd rather not be in here for as long as somepony can allow."

Leaping to the lowest level, Arcee trained a scanner on a ornate circle which had been moved aside. "Something was under this."

"Yeah, it's where we sealed Tirek," said Wheeljack. "Or at least what was left of him when we were done with him."

"... You tore him apart didn't you?" whispered Twilight, feeling sick. "You killed him, didn't you?"

"Kid, it was a harsher time back then. Tirek was pure evil. We're lucky he survived, trapped in a chuck of Dark Energon. We thought he would be done for, and that he would just fade away. At least, your Princesses hoped it would be the case." Wheeljack rested a hand on Twilight's head. "Look, they did what they had to. Tirek was a monster. He had no good in him."

"I know that. The legends say that he had a heart of blackest night. And nopony could ever change that," Twilight said. "It just feels strange to hear of a pony, even a Centaur being killed like that because he was..."

"Evil, I know." Wheeljack stood up and ran a scanner around as Applejack rested a hoof on her shoulder. "Nothing seems to be out of place here."

Spike however, was straining to listen as he could swear he heard something. "I know I'm not hearing things..."

"What is it, Spike?" inquired Arcee.

"I know I've got better hearing than the other ponies here, and those boxes of yours can't pick up things... but I'm hearing something. A voice. It sounds like..." Spike clenched his eyes and concentrated hard for a moment. "Like somepony muttering to himself..."

The Bots shared a look as Bumblebee ran another scan. "Nothing. No signs of life. Wait..."

And as one, everyone looked down at the covered hole. Nodding, Jackie slid the sword edge into the cover and the other ponies prepared their weaponry, what little they had of it, spells and such. "One..." said Bumblebee.

"Two..." said Arcee.

"Three!" And Wheeljack heaved, springing the manhole-like cover, popping it out and flinging it to the side as weapons whined dangerously.

"I'm saved!" exclaimed a familiar, and much hated voice as Bumblebee shone his headlamps down into the pit. There, crammed into that little space was Starscream, bundled up with thick viny rope made of wiring. "... Oh."

"Oh hey, Screamy, whatcha doing here?" tormented Wheeljack, keeping his weapon trained on him.

"Who's that?" asked Fluttershy of Lyra who wore a disgusted look on her face.

"Starscream, Megatron's lackey-bot."

"I prefer the term Air Commander, thank you very much," snarled Starscream, moving to climb out but Wheeljack's katana rested against his neck lightly. "Ah, Wheeljack, good of you to show up in my time of need. Bumblebee, love what you've done with the voice, Arcee, how IS Cliffy doing?"

Arcee pressed her weapon against his forehead. "Tell us what you were doing down there. Answer me."

"You're outgunned, and have no backup, Starscream," said Lyra sternly. "You have no way out but through us."

"And why should I even bother to let you miserable fleshlings even pose a threat?" spat Starscream.

"We fleshlings are more threat than you can possibly imagine!" exclaimed Twilight, her horn flaring angrily. "Now tell us what we need to know, my brother is out there risking his life!"

"Ah second the motion. Let's truss the critter up and hog tie 'im till he squeals!" added Applejack, her patience wearing thin with the way Starscream seemed to infuriate the Autobots.

"Wait, we can't do that, don't the laws prohibit torture?" said Fluttershy, derailing the conversation.

"Oh, I do so love a good moral dilemma! What will you do, heroes?" leered Starscream.

Twilight's grin grew nasty. "Improvise."

5 minutes later...

"-- And he's raised an army of undead Terrorcons mixed with those monster bones we found laying in this cave, fuelled by Dark Energon but it it's all a ruse while he goes and tries to find the Moochick to fulfill a prophesy about the night lasting forever now GET HER AWAY FROM ME!" shrieked Starscream, trying to get away from Pinkie Pie, who had been locked in the hole with him.

"Chimichanga? Maybe chimimichinga? Chimimimburrito? How about--" Pinkie's mouth was carefully closed up by Rainbow Dash's hoof over her mouth and she continued to talk, the noise muffled.

"Is that everything?" inquired Arcee.

"Yes, that's everything, now will you please--"

"Chimicake? Chimicheesecake? Chimimichimicookies too!"

"YES THAT IS EVERYTHING NOW WILL YOU PLEASE UNTIE ME!"

"Pinkie, darling you can stop now." said Rarity.

As if an off-switch was thrown, Pinkie grinned. "Oh, okay!"

"Sheesh, remind me never to get on your bad side, Twilight," remarked Spike as Starscream visibly flinched when Pinkie Pie pronked by him.

"Love for family makes me do crazy things."

"So where is this Moochick anyhow?" inquired Applejack. "Ah've never heard of him before."

"That's because not many ponies have," replied Wheeljack. "Barely anyone's seen him, Celestia included. Fortunately for us, I have. And I know where he lives." Turning around, he said, "This is where we part ways, Bee. I've got to track down the Moochick solo. It's the only way he'll let me pass into the Mushromp."

"Oh c'mon, Jackie, you're leaving again?" groaned Lyra. "And here I thought you were over your solo days."

"Nothing personal Lyra, the Moochick and I have history. Besides, I'd rather you guys not get stuck in a five minute song and dance while there's things to fight. Laters."

And with that, Wheeljack headed off as the others looked at each other. Starscream harumphed. "Well, if you don't mind I will be leaving. I need time to rest from this atrocity you committed upon my person."

"We'll be watching," warned Bumblebee. Starscream sneered, transformed into a jet and shot straight up into the air and out of sight.

"You let him go? Just like that," said Arcee.

"Far as we know, there's barely any 'Cons or 'Bots left. We may as well cut our losses and not lose anyone else on either side." Arcee had to see the point of that, and nodded.

"So what do we do now?" inquired Spike. "If that Moochick thing isn't here, then..."

"Wheeljack can handle it," said Lyra. "We should go help the Empire fend off those Terrorcons."

"Agreed. The rest of the team should be space-bridged in by now. Bumblebee to base, we need a ground-bridge to the Crystal Empire."

=====

As Wheeljack roared towards the location where the mushrooms grew tall, his mind began to drift. Where Celestia left off, his mind filled in the gaps. He remembered it like yesterday, when he was working on the ship...

Crystal Empire 1500 Years Ago...

"Slag!" Wheeljack cursed in several more languages as the emerald he had been cutting into a focusing lens for his engine shattered. "There's lots of rocks around but none of them are refined enough for use. Maybe I should be getting actual help from that prince of theirs."

Wheeljack groaned and rubbed his shoulder, feeling his joints creak from the long time bent over a table. "But that'd be talking to Princess Sunny-Butt over there and Primus, does she grind my gears. What a stiff. Maybe though I could ask for one gem. One big gem... that'll do it."

A banging at the ship's door made Wheeljack fumble the ruby and crush it, eliciting a sigh. "Darn kids, I needed that!"

Realizing belatedly he sounded like Ratchet, Wheeljack stormed to the door only to find the door wide open with no fillies or foals in sight. In fact, it was the middle of the night and Luna's moon hung overhead clear as day. "Huh... must have been working later than I thought..."

"What you seek is what you find, and not all you find glitters in gold," stated a voice near his feet and he turned around to find a squat man. He looked human, but he was way too small to be human. He was portly, and dressed in an outlandish outfit of green and brown with a large mushroom-like hat.

"What you find may not be gold or jewels, but the journey to find it, well that's a different story. Your ship from the stars, a clear omen of things to come, but is it past, the future? A glimpse of what is to come, or none?"

Wheeljack sighed. "Listen, old guy, if that's what you are..."

"The Moochick is my name, and sought you have found. A little rainbow, I present to you now. Oh dearie me, where is it, where did it go? Perhaps you may know?"

"... Moochick. Okay Moochick, what are you, and are you human? Among the ponies?"

"That is to see, human or something free." He bowed, doffing his hat and underneath he had ears like a human, but his hat sported pointed ears. "Listen, a terrible foe raises in the east, a darkness sweeps but never sleeps. To defeat it, look to the sisters, they be your best bet, and perhaps then you will find them well met."

"Right. Look, can you fix my ship or not?"

"Fix it, fix it yes, a little rainbow to use to see, but can you really sacrifice the light we need? To go or to stay, that is the question at hand, why not try, stay awhile, it's grand!"

Wheeljack sighed and shook his head. "Look, I'd love to say. This place is full of Energon and I could live here. But it's too peaceful. I'm a Wrecker. I wreck things. I gotta keep moving before the rust sets in. I can't be wasting my time having tea with ponies."

"Sad to see you go, but forever entwined your fates now flow. Through time and space, this one is now connected, so take this..." And the Moochick held out an amulet to Wheeljack who took it cautiously. "And fix it."

Turning to go inside, Wheeljack asked, "You going to be okay, old man, getting home? It's dark."

"The night never bothered me, for I am fancy free, but if you seek a stop, come, come to the Mushromp."

As the old man walked away, Wheeljack could have sworn he broke into song.

When there is a four kingdom square
Oooh la day la dee
Ai princess I love thee fair
Oooh tra la night lee
Her mane was soft, and sparkled true
Oooh la de da whoo ha
And I teased her so
Oooh day la da lee

"Strange guy," said Wheeljack, turning back into the Jackhammer and going back to the engine room. Pausing at the door, he turned the amulet over and found it was a tiny little locket. Opening the door of the engine, he prepared to open it. But then paused.

For a moment, Wheeljack debated on using it, and what the Moochick said was true. He was looking out for himself. He didn't really care about this world, it was just another rest stop. And yet...

=====

Celestia was awoken to the sound of rapping at the glass of her balcony window. Blearily, she climbed out of bed and stumbled over to open the door, only to find Wheeljack standing there, precariously balancing on the high balcony.

"Hey, can I come in?" he meant to say.

What he said was, "Morning, Sunshine, you look positively messy this evening, Sunny-Butt."

Celestia threw a pillow at him. She was not apologetic when he hit the ground.

To Be Continued...