• Published 1st Jan 2014
  • 1,013 Views, 11 Comments

No Man's Land - Ponyess



It all started out in the barn, as I stumbled on the filly, I recognized as Apple Jack, an earth type pony. I could but take care of her. Not just because I live on a farm, but I can't just leave her unattended? A filly needs to be cared for.

  • ...
18
 11
 1,013

A New Day: 2

I had woken up early. I apparently had a smile on my face, as I look around. I did lie in my bed. But what I saw next, is what I should have known, could never have been there. Yet, now she stubbornly lay beside me, sleeping.

It's not as if I could willingly wake her up, disturb her still much needed sleep. With that, I sneak out of the room, prising my luck, I had chosen quiet sliding doors for my home. With that, I slip out of the room, moving to the kitchen. Preparing, what I had to have, a decent breakfast. Only then, I picked a bunch of carrots, slicing them in bite-size chunks for her benefit, knowing she would enjoy them. I had even split an apple in thin slices, then splitting them length wise. That'd be a breakfast, for her, knowing she couldn't tell me, what she wanted, what she desired. She just couldn't say it since she is still incapable of speech.

I slowly ate my breakfast, waiting for her to wake up. Hoping she was waking, before I was finished.

I had my juice. There is the tomatoes, a small pile of bacon, and three eggs I had quietly fried. That's what I had chosen for the day. I guess I could give her a tour of my kitchen, giving her a chance to nip, what she found edible? What ever she could have. Just hoping it would be good for her, not making her sick?

Since she could eat my carrot the day before, I know she is capable of enjoying solids. Actual food, that is. Just that, since she isn't a pony like the once I had just brought home, on my own, I'm not sure, exactly what she could eat.

Then, just as I swallow the last of my juice, washing the last of the egg and bacon down, I think I hear something, thus looking up, only to see her small form, as she moves towards where she had heard me. Looking for me, since she had woken up.

Since she was already up and about, I soon prepared her breakfast, serving her the plate. Apparently, she had managed to gather a good appetite during the night, while sleeping since she soon started out, enjoying the meal to her heart's content in the true pony fashion. I guess I should have expected.

I just needed to refill her glass, a few times, while she ate. Then, as she was done, I leave the table, with her in tow. Since we have miles of empty lands to ourselves, no need to fear anyone spotting her.

I decided to take her on a tour of my farm, such as it is. Thus I started by leading her to the orchard, figuring she may enjoy the sight. As it turned out, we have the first harvest. It may not be a very impressive harvest, but at least, there is a harvest. Apples hanging from each and every tree, shining red, in between the green leaves.

Seems we have a descent harvest!” I pointed out, looking at the red orbs, hanging in the trees I was passing.

She just nodded.

From here, I take her to the next part of the farm, the fields, where carrots grew. Green sprouting in long lines, indicating we may have a good harvest here too.

Apparently, she looked rather excitedly at what I was showing her. Almost as if she tried to tell me something. Even if it was obvious, she isn't ready to learn to speak, just yet.

I continued along the way, soon spotting the pastures. She looked curiously. Trying to make sense out of what was growing there. Maybe it wasn't obvious to her, just yet. I guess she had thought I had another crop on the pastures? This is where the ponies were to grace. Only the pastures we came across first, had no ponies on them, just yet. I simply had not bought enough ponies to fill all the pastures. As if I had intended to fill all pastures the first year. I had planned to leave two thirds of the pastures, in order to keep fresh pastures, all year around. Besides, I am waiting for the next years foals, in order to have more of the pastures filled up.

This is where I had intended for my ponies to grace!” I nodded.

Then she made very big eyes.

I had not planned on any ponies like you!” I hastily added.

Then she looked down into the grasses.

I'm ecstatic to have you here. I would never regret finding you!” I filled in.

As I look at her, I notice she instantly brightened up, as it sank in, and she realised, just what I meant.

I had gone back, picking up a few buckets, in order to start the harvest. Only when we came back, she apparently realised, just how to best get the apples down and out of the trees since she reared up on the nearest tree, kicking the trunk, rewarded by a bunch of apples falling down, left and right. With that, I started to gather what apples had come falling down into the first bucket.

While I gathered the fallen apples from the first tree, she went to the next, repeating her success. Going from tree to tree, making the apples come tumbling down, landing on the soft grasses underneath.

You could as well have one, while I gather the rest!” I told her.

Ofhorse, she soon picked a red one, while I was filling the first few buckets, then she slowly pushed apples into small piles, thus making it easier for me to fill the buckets.

Filling the buckets I had carried still did take me an hour and a half, then I started to carry them back to the barn.