• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 626 Views, 2 Comments

Secrets of a Past Forgotten - Shadow of a Former Brony



A pony can only hold so many secrets, they will eventually tell them, and when these secrets threaten Equestria, who you tell them too will share in your silence. But the silence will be broken, the secrets will be told.

  • ...
2
 2
 626

It started with a nightmare

Darkness, overwhelming darkness.
Unable to see.
Unable to speak.
Voice lost to screaming.
Unable to feel due to the immense cold.
Unable to shake due to the tiredness.
Unable to hear anything in the darkness.
Unable to move because the stone walls surrounding.
Muscles atrophying from loss of movement.
The immense emptiness and hunger after not eating for days.
Somehow hanging on to the small silver string of life.
The world.... it tells you to give up and die, to surrender to death.
“NO! I WILL LIVE!”


The darkness gradually gave way to light as dawn arose, awakening the pegasus from sleep. He sighed as the nightmare once again tormented him, and he shuddered at the memory.

The Pegasus rolled out of bed and went to the bathroom as art of his daily routine. he looked upon himself in the mirror:

Colorless grey eyes, dark midnight blue fur, pitch black hooves, pitch black mane and tail as dark as the shadows of the night, HIs mane was soft looking albeit a little ragged.

A small scar on the left side of his neck, midnight blue Pegasus wings with a cut on the center of each wings main frontal edge, one broad pitch black line came up from the outer edge of the wing and went straight out.

After checking his wings and preening a few feathers. he checked the three feathers woven into his hair and sealed with magic, a midnight blue feather with a pitch black line down the center in the center of his mane, a midnight blue feather on the left side of his mane, and a pitch black colored feather on the right side of his mane.

his cutie mark was a black circle with those same three feathers crossing, with the feathers corresponding to the placement in his mane. This was the dark Pegasus, Shade Burst.

Shade Burst walked back to his room and grabbed a black long coat that had holes cut into the jacket for his wings to go through and allow him to fly. he rolled it on and smiled as he walked out of his room and into the wider than normal hall, the hall was wide enough so he could extend his wings and fly, Shade jumped down and flew down the round loft and down to the first floor kitchen and he grabbed some cereal and ate it quietly.

The first floor of Shade’s cloud house had no walls except for the walls in the kitchen where the bathroom, washer and dryer would be and for the bar he had set up in the kitchen. he had a coffee machine and the basic appliances, but they were high grade, as well as the ingredients in his pantry.

The other part of the first floor of the two floors of the four storied house was a large cylindrical room, an indent in the center held a round couch and round table, both a dark purple, bookshelves lined the first two stories of three, all filled with books of fiction and nonfiction, the third floor had of the cylinder loft had a room with very good acoustics, some speakers and a piano and violin where stored up there. The fourth floor was where Shade’s master bedroom and two guest rooms where placed.

“Now that I am awake, it is time to exercise” Shade talked out loud out of habit for usually he was the lone occupant of the house.

Shade Burst opened the door and walked outside; stretching his wings he looked around the town of Ponyville. not a Pegasus in the early morning sky.“Good, nopony around to peek” Shade thought as he satisfied his paranoia and whipped his wings down, making a large gust of wind as he flew up into the sky. He glided on a warm updraft until he got higher into the sky, then he looked around again, nopony around.

“Next step, boosting”

Shade Burst brought his wings straight forward and back, his midnight blue wings glowed pitch black and he shot forward, making a circle of black energy as sound distorted and went silent behind him as he picked up speed. His speed slowly returned to normal, and then he repeated the black winged energy and wing beat, and he moved fast again and slowed down quickly. Shade went around the perimeter of Ponyville in a good half hour until he felt all woken up.

Shade Burst stopped on a cloud after warming up. surveying the area around him once again for signs of prying eyes, he found none once again, Shade sighed as his paranoia once again calmed down and he allowed himself to get back to exercising.

*sigh* “Now for the real practice to begin” Shade taunted himself, and jumped up and boosted straight through the cloud, making the black ring. He then repeated the wing movement, flipped 90 degrees to be flying parallel to the ground rather than straight at it. he boosted again and made a sharp, right 90 degree turn, a black circle dissipating to the left side of his body where he was earlier. he was only going at a speed equal to a full speed or "sprinting" Pegasus speed for only a few seconds to move back to a normal "Running" speed.

Shade Burst brought his wings up and gathered energy once again and hit them down, boosting and turning 90 degrees left, he repeated the movement, and repeated it, and he did this until he was flying in a square at high, sub-mach speed. Shade had wanted to tighten his boost angle up to a triangle, but that was out of his reach. So Shade moved it up to a pentagon, then a hexagon, he turned his body so that the hexagon was vertical, then angled the burst from solely right, to right forward, and flew forward slowly in a hexagon, then tightened the hexagon up so that his forward-right turns where faster, and that he flew faster, then he made the right angle burst nearly nothing, and gave the front boost more energy, resulting in a very fast boost that angled the Pegasus in a very wide barrel roll that went faster and faster until he was nearly spinning, testing the limits and parameters of the angles at which he could boost

Shade brought his wings back and swung them forward, the black circle went from in front of Shade burst and cancelled all speed he had created, he brought them forward again and bursted backwards in a 180 turn, he repeated this cancel and 180 turns to see just how good his stops and redirects where.

This was Shade Burst's ability: his maneuverability, so much that he could fly indoors and around the angled corridors that was usually beyond a normal Pegasus’ capacity, where Wonderbolts could match this ability in sheer flight power maneuverability. Sometimes Shade even activated the boost without even moving his wings, something that only happens when he is utterly focused on his task of flying.

“All because of years and years of practice in the mind then on the field” he thought while his mind went to that dark place, he shook it off and looked around, finding a large enough cloud he went into it, boosting in a square until he destroyed the cloud from the inside out, a fun thing he had figured out a few days ago. Shade sighed as he looked at his own shadow arcing to the ground, signaling seven o’ clock, by now some ponies would be out and about and he couldn't show the boost ability to them, for the fact that he needed to keep it a secret, one of the many secrets that he was in possession of.

Shade Burst swung around again and saw that the main market of ponyville was open and deserted. He once again brought his wings forward, gathered black energy and boosted forward again. Leaving a black circle that diminishes behind him and makes silence as he shoots towards the ground, milliseconds before impact he extends his wings and flaps his wings, boosting again, stopping his rapid descent and sending a cloud of dust around him along with silence. Shade landed with a smile and looked around, then his longcoat vibrated and his hoof went in and he drew his phone out, the caller I.D picture showed that it was a tan Pegasus with green eyes and a blond and yellow mane with a brown stripe between the other two colors, he smiled and opened the phone with a smirk. “Ah, Soul Song, how is life for you?” he asked.

“Great! I just did a concert yesterday, I wish you could be on squad, you always had my back best.” the voice over the phone was of a musician by the name of Soul Song, a young and rising singer in the music industry, and Shade Burst is his personal bodyguard every now and then, and the two of them grew to be friends beyond just working together.

“Yes, being your bodyguard is fun, but stressful. I have to take breaks too. As same for you, I promise to help in your next tour, I promise.” Shade added a silent sigh as he thought about the stress of the job.

“Thanks man, speaking of breaks, could I crash at your place for a week or two pleaaasee??” the voice was hopeful and Shade could practically see Soul Song attempting puppy eyes on him.

When Soul Song was on tour, Shade Burst was his lead and personal bodyguard, and because of that the two pegusai were close, off tour Soul Song would sometimes stay at Shade’s house, and because of that Soul Song helped buying and accessorizing his friend’s house, and one of the guest rooms in Shade’s house was really Soul’s spare room, because for the past year Soul Song would crash at his house and stay in ponyville.

“No.” Shade replied flatly.

“WAIT!? WHAT!?"

“I am joking. Give me the time that you would be staying here.” Shade rolled his eyes at his friend’s antics.

“You didn’t sound like you were joking… Okay... It's Thursday, so… Friday, then for two weeks?” Shade cringed at the unreasonable amount of time Soul had requested.

“I work at the café, you know” Shade stated about of his off-tour job, running a shift that the Wild Horse Café owned and ran by a white furred black mane Pegasus by the name of Mr. Haykenama. Or Mr. H.

"I know I know, I’d stay out of your way and help my friends out with their stuff, I wouldn’t get in your way I promise I promise I promise! …So… Could I?”

“Yes, But-”

“YES! WOOHOO” Shade heard the sound of wind as he predicted that his friend just flew around for a second partying at his allowance to stay over.

“But is it to escape the crowds and be with me? Or is it an excuse to see Fluttershy?” Shade Burst mentioned Soul Song’s crush, the cream and pink colored Pegasus he had had a crush on since flight school. The flight school where Soul Song, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash had been friends until afterwards when they parted ways. Nowadays they kept in contact, but Soul kept in contact with Fluttershy just a little bit more, and was one of the reasons why Soul Song would crash at the midnight blue Pegasus’ house, because of the proximity to Fluttershy, Shade Burst only knew of Soul's time in flight school from his stories of it, for he had gone to somewhere else entirely, and knew of Soul's crush due to the notes and letters he had sent to the less technologically blessed pegasus, Fluttershy.

“Hey! Hey hey hey! you said that, not me!” From Soul’s reaction Shade knew he had just scored a point and hit Soul’s weakness

“I will take that as a yes.”

“And I am coming to see you too Shade!”

“Are you sure about that?”

“Yes I’m sure! You are one of my best friends, and I can’t wait to see you!”

“I agree on both, I have an errand to run so I have to end our conversation” Shade sighed as he thought about the upcoming errand he was going to have to run

“Later Shade Burst!”

“Sayonara Soul Song.” Shade snapped the silent phone shut and put it back into his coat with a smirk, talking to Soul Song always improved his mood.

Shade Burst let himself calm down to be his usual bland mood and made his way along the path past Sugar Cube Corner and over to the Carousel Boutique. Shade sighed as he slowly trotted up and knocked on the door. A white unicorn mare with a fancy mane opened the door with a smile. “Shade Burst! How do you do!” she greeted with a smile.

“All right, I guess, so when again is this.... "photo" session?” at asking this, Shade internally sighed at the boredom to come.

“in about half an hour, I have to convince somepony I know to cover the other half of the shoot” Rarity continued with a sigh.

Rarity had invited Shade Burst a few days earlier to have him model in a photo shoot today to show off a new style idea she had come up with for stallions. And because Shade Burst was so “photogenic” in Rarity’s eyes and that the other pegasus had dropped out when she mentioned who the partner was, she had asked Shade Burst, for she knew of the pegasus from the custom order long coat he had ordered a very long time ago. He agreed, wanting to help the unicorn with her talent and to pay her back for all the orders he had made to her store over the past.

“Do you want me to help out with getting the other pony here?” Shade asked, he was a bodyguard, with experiences in other areas of protection, he could hep drag the pegasus over if it came to it.

“No, I'd rather not resort to a conflict. She is a really good friend of mine and I don't want to cause a ruckus”

“as you wish, can I go get something from the mail then?” Shade Burst asked, remembering that he was supposed to get a package from the post office that Soul Song had sent him. Supposedly it needed to be picked up immediately, and it had arrived today, on express mail. And he needed to pick it up the day it got there. So now since today was such a day, he would have to get it or Soul Song would pester him until he got it

“Of course, just be back in a little while” Rarity responded, smiling as the midnight blue Pegasus nodded and walked out to the door.

“Thank you” Shade Burst flew up and flew over to the equestrian post office. He landed flapping his wings with the black line through them once in habit he had long since stopped trying to undo. He walked in and was immediately hugged by a grey Pegasus with a big smile, gold eyes and blond hair.

“Shade!” Ditzy “Derpy” Hooves smiled at Shade Burst, who hugged the fellow Pegasus back

“Greetings Derpy! Good to see you” he smiled genuinely down at the Pegasus “I have received a package from Soul Song, could you go take it for me?” Derpy nodded and walked off, after she commented.

“Jeez, it's like the two of you are coltfriends or something!” she smiled as Shade sighed, Ditzy walked back into the post area and brought a package back, balancing it on her head, she tripped and Shade rushed to catch her, but another brown mane and chestnut fur colored earth pony got there first. He caught both the package and Ditzy, the mystery earth pony spoke with the accent of someone from Trottingham, or somewhere around there.

“There you are mate.” he handed the package to Shade, who took it and put the package under his wing.

“Thank you Doctor. it is good to see you once again.”

“Not on my end, though, still got that weird aura on you...” he commented brashly as he took a stelscope out and put it on the Pegasus’ neck, then put it away “still can’t place where it’s from though...” he then brought put a metallic rod in his mouth and one end lit up green as he brought it around the Pegasus’s body, he frowned a little in disappointment “it’s really not my problem though, it's yours.” Shade knew of the Doctor’s eccentrics and decided it was best to take the weird greeting as a “Good to see you too!”

“you have my gratitude for the package” Shade replied “Now I will be off, goodbye. Doctor, Derpy” Shade bid the ponies’ farewell and flew off back to his house, knowing that he could return in half hours time.


Rainbow Dash woke up and sighed, seeing on how she had purposefully slept in, because most of her morning was going to be torture. And if she was caught sleeping during said torture, it would only get worse. Rainbow Dash flew out of bed, stretching her wings. Rainbow ruffled her hair up as she went down the stairs of her cloud house, making little puffs of clouds bump up at the impact, Dash went to the kitchen, and got food for her pet tortoise, Tank. It slowly ate the food as Rainbow Dash checked if she looked okay, she wasn’t hungry yet, so she didn’t need to eat, she checked the time on the clock in the kitchen

“Well, Tank, I gotta Dash” she yelled a phrase she came up with on the spot, and nuzzled the tortoise, who licked her back."I like that one, I'll have to use it later!" Dash smiled and went out the front door and flew out, she saw Rarity approaching the spot below her house. Rarity was wearing a fashionable hat and sunglasses as she looked up, seeing the cyan Pegasus in the sky, she waved up to the pegasus. Rainbow Dash flew down with a gust of speed, and landed in front of Rarity, kicking up some dust that made the fashionista cough. “Woops!” Rainbow cheerily said with a smirk. Rarity just glared at Rainbow.

“Come on now, Rainbow, we absolutely have to get going or else we are going to make him wait!” she moved around with a huff and she started jogging slightly back to her boutique. Dash noticed her choice of words and flew up alongside her.

“Wait, I’m modeling with somepony?”

“Yes, yes you are, so we absolutely get there on time, if not early!”

“Fine by me, more people to share my pain!” Rainbow took off towards the boutique leaving Rarity behind, who just sighed and ran after the speedster Pegasus' retreating form in the sky.


Meanwhile, Shade Burst had arrived at his home, stepping in he went to the kitchen and the bar with stools as the kitchen was more restaurant style than normal, this was where Shade would eat at the bar of in the main loft.

Shade put his ear next to it he package and listened for a few seconds, then set it down and hovered his wing tips around it, using them to feel for any magic. Then, confirming that the package was safe. Shade grabbed a kitchen knife and deftly sliced the package open in one swipe and a letter and two packages came out. Shade spun the knife in his hoof as he read the letter.

“Dear Shade Burst:

enclosed in this here package with your name on it is a scarf I saw you looking at earlier during our tour, you always seemed cold so this might help a bit. Oh, and supposedly this scarf has magic that if you wrap it around your soul mate something will change on it to show you, Weird, right? I thought you'd be curious so I grabbed it, the other package is a blanket for Fluttershy, you can run and give it to her wait, no, just keep it at your house until I come over, thanks again for letting me stay. See you when I get there!

From: Soul Song”

Shade's ear twitched at the end. He sent this in advance; thanking Shade for something he had not done yet, knowing that he would. And that he would not pick it up until after the call, Shade tossed the knife up, caught it and sliced the package that has his name on it, and then set the knife back in the knife rack.

“Cheeky manipulator” Shade growled as he shook his head as he inspected the scarf, finding the pitch black scarf nice, and put the scarf around his neck, doing the usual tuck in he had seen before on ponies on fashion magazines Soul had forced him to read. Shade fluffed his black long coat and then nodded at his new ensemble, the midnight blue Pegasus trotted to the door and shut and locked it behind him. Flapping his wings Shade Burst hovered in the air for a few seconds, scanning for eyes to satisfy his paranoia rising up again. then gathered energy and bursted up and forward, creating the rapidly dissipating black circle and brief silence. Now gaining the altitude necessary,Shade glided over to Carousel Boutique.

Shade landed in front of the main door to the carousel boutique and opened it, making the bell ring; the white unicorn he barely knew was in the middle of a conversation with a fidgety light blue Pegasus with a multicolored mane. Both looked up at Shade as he entered. Something struck Shade as he walked in; something about this Pegasus was familiar... the stories Soul Song had told him and the letters his friend had received with pictures came to the forefront of his mind “Light blue Pegasus, multicolored mane. Hates staying still...”

“Are you Rainbow Dash?” Shade asked, pointing a hoof at the pegasus mare

“Yep! The one and only! The greatest flier in all of Ponyville!” the Pegasus boasted. “How’d you hear of my awesomeness?” she smiled like a celebrity at the midnight blue Pegasus who flatly replied.

“Read about you in magazines covering first documented case of a Sonic Rainboom.” Shade was telling the truth. He had studied it.

“Oh, I see. Did they really write about me?” Rainbow Dash turned to look at Rarity with raised eyebrows and an incredulous look, while Rarity returned the look.

“Yes, there was a boom of articles the entire week after, I was surprised that you were not interviewed by reporters, but you never entered your address into the appliance form, so no one could find or interview you, but they dug around and did find some information. I read up on the information” Shade had looked up information once the Sonic Boom happened, curious about the phenomena the Pegasus had made.

“Well it's nice to meet someone who likes the Sonic Rainboom just as much as me” Rainbow Dash smiled. “I love because it created my cutie mark” she boasted showing her signature cutie mark. “Oh, sorry for asking, but I never got your name” Rainbow looked upon the Pegasus in his entirety, she had seen this pegasus in town once or twice, and only for glimpses, Rainbow Dash knew most to all of the ponies in Ponyville, and this stallion was one of the exceptions, he was a mystery to Rainbow Dash, one she wanted to solve.

“My name is Shade Burst.” the midnight blue Pegasus replied with a nod. He used his wing to move his long coat away from his flank to show his own cutie mark. “Since you showed me your cutie mark: this is mine”

“How’d ya get it?” Rainbow asked. Rarity noticed Shade Burst stiffen for a millisecond, before putting on a mischievous smile as a mask.

“That is for me too know and for you to find out” his smile became one of mirth as Rainbow Dash pouted. Shade let the long coat rest on his back once again. He turned his head to look at Rarity. The three feathers in his hair moved in tandem with his mane, the movement attracting Rainbow's attention to the feathers out of curiosity, something clicked and her eyes went wide "that pegasus has feathers. and he has three... so that means... that is horrible..." Rainbow Dash shook her head toe expel the thought until later "I have to be respectful. I don't want to get him upset"

“so, we should get this over and done with.” Shade stated with a serious tone. Rarity blinked and nodded quickly.

“Most certainly!” she cheered and her horn glowed as she pulled out twelve mannequins, six for each pegasus. A camera and photo umbrella with flash appeared. Rarity flicked her head; a backdrop appeared against one of the walls. Shade and Rainbow watched the movement of clothes and backgrounds with varying degrees of apprehension.

“Well this is gonna be fun” Rainbow facehoofed as Shade looked over at her.

“Agreed, but we might as well work together with each other and with Rarity to get the work done faster.” he reasoned. Rainbow found no objection to his logic. so she nodded.

The three did work together, trying on the clothes and posing in multiple poses for each set. The time went by and Rainbow Dash actually found this kind of modeling fun. Rarity’s theme was “Pegasus: opposites” and the two of them fit it perfectly.

Shade had has his midnight blue body and pitch black smooth mane with the feathers that gave the dark look and Rainbow Dash had the multicolored Rainbow mane with the bright sky blue coat that gave the opposite look.

Rainbow got to wear multiple bright and flashy clothes, some even being rainbow colored, and she could do whatever she thought fit with the outfit and situation. One of the poses she didn't particularly hate, was when she was on her back hooves, the front to resting on the edge of a white chair, a pure white dress that was not a wedding dress,but normal strapless. it seemed to glow with rainbow colors when she moved. in this pose Rainbow was smiling brightly, and the dark colored Pegasus was sitting in the chair wearing a pitch black coat buttoned up with black bottoms, it seemed to suck the light around it. His face was serious and protectorate, as if he was guarding the light behind him. Which made the picture even out in an interesting way.

Rarity giggled for a moment in happiness after getting the picture. the three worked fast and got to the last one. Rarity made them do a lot more… Interesting… pose. It was where Shade was leaning back on a couch, his wings spread lazily about, wearing a black tux with a white shirt under with a black tie. Rainbow was wearing a strapped sundress that had no back that was white at the top then split into the Rainbow at the bottom. Rainbow was required to get directly in front of Shade and fumble in taking his tie off, and his top shirt button was messed with, and she would snap a picture. When Rainbow heard this she felt her wings slightly rise. But she forced them down to prevent anyone noticing.

“No. I am not going to pose in such a way” Shade stated, Rainbow Dash’s head whipped around to look at the midnight blue Pegasus. “This is your 7th picture; it is the custom design, right? That is not something that would appeal to any judge. I have a better idea." Shade turned to the Pegasus next to him "Rainbow Dash, can you stand on your hind legs?” Shade asked.

“Of course!” Rainbow Dash boasted once again, Shade moved the couch aside and stood in front of the now near grey backdrop.

“Back to back, on your hind legs.” Rainbow did as she was told, “Now we extend our wings as one” Dash's wings felt Shade's as they extended their wings, his wings where bigger than Rainbow Dash's by a little. The wings went out and above their heads. Shade's hooves found hers and grabbed them. Rainbow raised her eyebrows in surprise and held his hooves. “Now for the hard part, leave your right wing extended. But bring your left wing in.” Shade's voice was just over her shoulder. Rainbow shivered and she did as she was told. “Now look forward… Rarity take a picture from Rainbow Dash's side” Rarity was blankly watching the two as they posed. “Rarity”

“Oh! Sorry!” she rushed and set the camera up.

“Put a depressed face on” Shade voice echoed in Rainbows ear. “As if you just watched a friend leave forever” Rainbow nodded and visualized Twilight leaving all of her friends, including her, her first reaction was anger, then extreme depression.

“Perfect!” *snap* Rarity commented and took the picture.

"I have one more idea, you need a cover photo correct? Just stay standing Rainbow.” Shade commanded as she felt him turn around so he was facing Rarity too, his hooves took Rainbow's wings with an amazing amount of gentleness and extended them around her. He took her hooves and put them over her heart. Then his voice and breath hit Rainbows neck, making her shiver once more. “Now do not get mad” Shade's wings went to her wingtip and his arms went under hers and held her waist. His head went on his right shoulder. His eyes closed. And he was right, Rainbow was not mad, she actually found herself enjoying being held by a stallion.

"Wait. WHAT AM I SAYING! I am Rainbow Dash! the mare that can handle herself without a stallion!"

“Take a picture, Rarity.” Shade stated once again, Rarity jumped out of her daydream and angled the camera.

*snap*

"that just got a picture taking while being held by a stallion, great... just great...

“Done!” Rarity smiled largely. “It’s done!” Rainbow spun around ready to to yell at Shade for such a pose being forced upon her, but he had already moved out of the way. Shade was already taking his stuff off and putting in on the mannequin gently. Rainbow threw her clothes off and onto her mannequin and flew around in circles near the ceiling.

“Freedom!” She cheered, she looked around and found that Shade had put a black long coat and scarf on and was switching some things between his hooves, muttering something. Rainbow Dash’s curiosity got the best of her and she flew down behind him, “what are you doing?”

Shade Burst was looking at some cards, the ones she saw where solid color, on front with something on the back, he swiftly moved the cards into his jacket, his colorless grey eyes looked up at her flying form, his eyes stopped on Rainbow Dash's mane for a second before moving to her eyes. “I was cpmparing something. good job modeling, you are a natural…. And we made Rarity happy” he motioned with his head towards Rarity whilst changing the subject, who was looking at the picture, smiling and bouncing in near uncharacteristic happiness, but it was that she had an high chance of winning the fashion competition, and that she thought no one was looking.

“yeah, we did, I’m glad we made her this happy, she’s been going crazy for the past few days trying to complete the outfits, oh and along with that” *bam* she punched Shade, who locked her with a glare that she had to fight against cringing under.

“What was that for?” he asked, his voice devoid of emotion.

“That was for the pose you came up with” RD replied with a huff, despite her wishes, Rainbow Dash was enjoying being held, but didn't want anypony knowing she enjoyed it, she had a reputation to upkeep.

“I did not make that pose up, I copied it from an idea for a CD cover my friend had, It never was accepted so I decided to use it as a possible cover photo idea” Shade replied matter of fact, He quickly became quiet as he walked to the door, Leaving Rarity to continue with her presentation and work, Rainbow, not wanting to be caught up in any unnecessary chores, followed him and they walked outside together.

A rumble was heard and Shade’s head looked around for the sound, before stopping on the light blue mare beside him. “Hungry?” he asked, Rainbow blushed in embarrassment.

“I should have ate breakfast…” Rainbow scolded herself and she nodded with a faint blush on her cheeks, Rainbow spread her wings to fly when Shade's voice gave her pause

“Wait” Shade closed his eyes, like he was in deep thought, against his judgement he spread his wings after looking up at the sun. “Follow me, Rainbow” and he went up into the sky. “I will make you breakfast” he offered with a small smirk. “it is the least I can do for making you do such an embarrassing pose"

Rainbow thought for a second "sure, I'll take you up on that offer" Rainbow followed the Pegasus back to his cloud house, "so your the one that lived here!" Rainbow Dash had seen this cloud house repeatedly, many a time she flew over and looked at it, the house always seemed empty or the curtains where drawn, Rainbow also had knocked on the door out of curiosity, but nopony answered. finally her curiosity was put to rest and she sighed as she looked at the house

"you did not know already? I live here, this is my house" Shade opened the door and shook his head, leading Rainbow into the main loft, he went to the left and took his jacket off and set it on the coat rack, but not before slipping the phone into a small nook in his scarf. He walked into the kitchen, grabbed some ingredients, then set it on the bar, Dash walked around a little, her hooves clopping on the stone floor, she walked and saw no pictures or anything that would show about the past of the occupant of this long mystery house. Rainbow saw the large bookshelves and cringed internally.

“So he is an egghead too?” She thought as she flew up to the large bookshelves, with the large window providing light, and surveyed the area in front of her “have I never noticed this stallion in town?” The questions swirled in her head as she flew around and noticed Shade already at work making an omelet. "hey Shade, do you go out? I don't see you around town much." Rainbow Dash asked, Sitting on a bar stool. Shade did not look up from the food he was making.

"Rarely, I am a homepony. So no, I do not "go out" much, just to stretch, get food and work" Shade shrugged as he added hay and other greens into the omelet with casual attention.

"Really? mind if I look around at the books a bit?" Rainbow Dash asked, Shade once again became silent as he thought, and deciding against his judgement again, Shade shrugged

"Stay on the first floor. the second floor is my bedroom, and hey, that's my private area, so just stay out, please?" Shade's allowance gave Rainbow Dash the chance to jump into the air and hover, She looked back to Shade at her denial onto the second floor, she recognized that he wanted some semblance of privacy. Rainbow nodded in affirmation and flew over to the bookshelves that where tall enough that only a Pegasus could reach the top. various works of nonfiction and fiction where stored on the shelves. Rainbow stayed in the fiction section, trying to see if Shade had read any Daring Doo books.

Rainbow's mind drifted as she searched and her mind went back to the boutique when she had seen Shade messing with some cards with colors on them, and the other time seeing the three feathers in his mane move, and the expelled thought came rolling back. Rainbow Dash leaned back mid air and brought her hoof to her chin in thought. scanning back to the classes she had learned in school. the classes on History and Pony Culture and some Psychology stuff, most of which she had barely payed attention too in all three classes.

"Okay, so feathers in somepony's mane symbolize that somepony has died in their family, and he has three, three separate feathers in his hair, three ponies have died in his family. and if this happened... he would be in grief, he could be keeping mementos... could that be what's in his jacket?" Rainbow's curiosity was burning rampant in her mind, and she looked back to his jacket... just hanging there... on the other side of a wall... just hanging there, taunting her adventurous curiosity... "juuuust for a second, then I'm putting them back" Rainbow flew silently as she could to the entrance area and saw the long coat, she remembered the breast pocket Shade had shoved the cards into, she reached her hoof into the jacket an pulled out 15 cards, each of them where white on the back and had the name of a color each of the color wheel, one for grey, black, white, midnight blue, gold, bronze and brown, with the actual color opposite the name “Color cards? so these could be a memento from one of his loved ones? and wait, his cutie mark has those three feathers... it's that important that it's on his cutie mark!?” Rainbow Dash paled at the thought “he must have a hard past, he's probably hurting now... and how could the elements of harmony overlook such a pony!? He has scars on his body for Celestia’s sake!” The Cyan Pegasus solemnly put the cards back, just in time too, because Shade flew around the corner.

“Rainbow, did you forget something? I saw you fly around. Then head back" Rainbow jumped "why are you looking at my coat?” He stood and looked at Rainbow with a frown.

"sorry I was just looking at your coat, it seems a little familiar in design" Rainbow improved and looked at the coat in detail, it seemed different than most long coats she had seen in Canterlot.

"that is because it is a custom order coat from Rarity, it has holes cut in the back for wings so that I could fly while wearing it, and it is stitched to not impede my movement at all." Shade responded "do you want one? I cannot fathom you wearing a long coat" Shade shook his head as Rainbow laughed at the mental image. "regardless to your... admiration of my coat, your omelet is done, and I would like you to come over to the bar before it gets cold.

“Oh!” Rainbow jumped and flew around him and landed at a barstool. Shade watched her with as she flew, the light blue Pegasus never left the Stallion’s sight. Shade trotted over into the kitchen and grabbed the omelet and put it on the plate he had set out for her.

“Here you go” he handed her the cooked omelet on a plate, “ketchup?” He asked, Rainbow nodded, he grabbed a bottle, spun it in his hoof, “in a spot or on it?”

“On it” she asked, the near black Pegasus then squirted the ketchup onto it in waves, putting the amount for a restaurant, he then set it next to the plate.

“Coffee?” she shook her head. “Milk?” Rainbow nodded and Shade Burst went and grabbed a cup, spinning it on his hoof he grabbed milk, slid the cup on the table, and poured milk while he hovered along with, catching it with his hoof as it came off the bar, he set in front of Rainbow and grabbed an apple, spinning it on his hoof he tossed it, rolled it around his wings and slid it off his wings right in front of Rainbow Dash, she smiled and finished her omelet, resulting in her large smile and audible moan of satisfaction. That resulted in a smirk from Shade and a hard glare from Rainbow that made his smirk only widen. Rainbow took a bite of the apple. Then she noticed the familiar taste.

“Ib it frub Sweb Abble Agrebs?” Rainbow asked with a mouth full of apple.

“It’s not polite to talk with your mouth full” Shade lightly chastised with a low and dark vice, putting a hoof on her mouth, he moved the hoof onto her chin, shutting her mouth, he brought his face in close, his eyes closing slightly, Rainbow copied the movement and moved in “Okay?”

*POMF!*

Shade backed up and withdrew his hoof as Rainbow Dash’s head fell forward. this was because she was letting Shade support her head, she stopped herself from slamming her face into the table and whipped her head up again.

"Did he just fake me out on kissing him? what the buck!?" Rainbow tried not to choke as she chewed and gulped loudly, a gigantic blush adorning her cheeks, her wings where straight up, she rushed to smooth them down, Shade turned around as he grabbed the plate Rainbow was eating out of and set it in the sink, as no more food was present on it.

“Hey!” Rainbow glared swords, lances, spears and knives at Shade, his wings rose this time not out of arousal but of immense anger.

“She speaks with decency!” Shade exclaimed bringing a pitch black hoof up in the air and waving it. After that he brought it down and checked his scarf to tell if it was still there and his phone was still present, so that it had not fallen out in the rapid movement.

“I was asking if it was from Sweet Apple Acres, the place ran by the Apple family.” RD clarified her question, calming down somewhat from the fake out "I hate to admit it, but he got me good there" “I recognized the taste”

“yes, I got the apples from Sweet Apple Acres, it is best place to buy apples you know, and that is coming from a cynical scarred up Pegasus with no taste In apples” Shade picked an apple out of a basket that was laying on the bar and inspected it, his mind went back to the time he and Soul had been asked to taste test apples from a farm not owned by the Apple clan. Long story short, the two got chewed out thoroughly for saying that Apple clan apples where better.

“Oh, said that Apple family was better than another places?” Rainbow asked with a knowing smile, her wings no longer upwards and not pushed firmly to her back “I’ve been insulted for that before; rival companies sure suck, don’t they?” Shade thought for a moment on her statement, then nodded.

“Yes, I have tasted many an apple, and still Sweet Apple Acres’ are still the best” Shade set the apple back into the basket, opting not to eat the apple. Rainbow watched the apple and asked a question

“Do you know Applejack?” Rainbow stated out of general curiosity.

“Apple Jack, no… that is one word name…. Applejack? No, I do not remember the name, where is she from? or what is her job? that might make me remember” Shade asked looking of Rainbow.

“She is the apple bucker for Sweet Apple Acres.” Rainbow explained "orange colored, always wears a stetson and has her mane and tail tied back, she is also a very good friend of mine"

“Oh, no I have never met her, I heard that she is friendly but little else, maybe sometime you can introduce me to her, I would like to meet the pony that had been responsible for the apples I eat” Shade replied, tapping the tips of his wings together above his head, looking at the midnight blue circle it formed,

"yeah, I'll try and figure out a time for you too meet her!" Rainbow smiled, she was getting to know this pegasus more by the second. as the subject has been exhausted, Rainbow changed the subject to satisfy her curiosity “So… anyway, where did you learn how to cook? ....And showboat while doing it.” Rainbow asked. Shade adopted a taunting smirk.

“That is for me to know and you to find out, Dashie”

“Don’t call me Dashie! And if you better not tell anypony about the photo shoot and that last shot or else!” Rainbow ranted, yes, the pictures where going to go out to the judges and Canterlot and the winner would end up in a magazine, but she wanted her name to remain intact until Rarity won, she didn't want this stallion trotting around Ponyville saying that he was in a photo shoot with Rainbow Dash, ruining her reputation. Rainbow picked the apple up that was left on a small plate and took a bite out of it in anger. her face transformed into one of bliss instead of anger. “mmmmmm…” she moaned, smiling, Shade smirked and let out a small laugh. Rainbow's face became a nice shade of red equal to the apple she was eating.

“Don’t. Tell. Anypony o-” she threatened, pointing with the apple at Shade, who just crossed his hooves and leaned on the bar with a smirk.

“Or else?”

“Hey! That’s my-”

“Threat? It took you long enough to say that.” Shade smirked as he jumped over the counter.

“Stop completing my-”

“Sentences?” Shade laughed, and Rainbow felt a new feeling rise at the Pegasus’ laugh, but was replaced by annoyance.

“Stop. That.”

“Yes yes yes, “or else!” so what are you going to do to me? I am quite curious” Shade instigated as he got up in Rainbows face again, she didn’t say anything. But as Shade’s mouth opened to win the argument she stuck the unbitten part of the apple into his mouth and flew up into the air to get some space.

“I’ll race you! In fact, I challenge you to a race!” she challenged, a devious smile on her face “and the loser has to take the other out to lunch for five days! And today does not count!” Rainbow threatened. Shade took a bit out of the apple, smirked. Then nodded,

“Okay, we race from my house, through the surrounding forest, to your house and back” Shade set the terms up. “Through the forest, through the sky over Ponyville, through the forest, around your house, then repeat.” the track was nice sized, the two pegasus' houses where on opposite sides of Ponyville, so the track would take them a decent distance

“Fine, I accept the course” Rainbow nodded as she flew down and landed in front of Shade, “I accept the bet as well”

“I agree to the terms and penalty decided upon.” He stated with military seriousness bringing his right hoof up to his chest in a gesture unfamiliar to Rainbow,

“Why did he do that?” Rainbow thought as Shade and Rainbow Dash both walked to the door, Shade took his phone out from his scarf and took both and put them in his coat that remained on his coat rack. He opened the door and walked outside, squinting his eyes.

“Nice day for a race” Rainbow commented stretching her wings and body with closed eyes and soaking in the sunlight. Shade took the moment to look at Rainbow Dash, she was very athletic, she had a flier’s body, and Shade felt his own wings rise and then started stretching his own body to get ready for the race and hide the movement.

“It is very bright more than anything” Shade commented as he flapped his own wings and inspected the feathers. Rainbow used his moment of introspection to look at the near black Pegasus, she noted that he had an athletic body like her own, but not one made for running, but for someone who fights, like a royal guard. His wingspan was a little larger than normal and had a different design on his wings, one thick pitch black line going through the center of his wingspan. Rainbow inspected the three feathers on the back of his mane. Her wings where already up as part of her stretching, so she just stretched a second longer and put her wings down.

“Ready to loose, Shade?” Rainbow asked with a cocky tone.

“Ready to fly, Dashie?” Shade replied, bringing on a glare from Rainbow. Rainbow took a breath to calm herself

“On go, 3, 2, 1go!” Rainbow took a fast count and was far off in a matter of a second.

“That was a underhoofed move” Rainbow’s mouth dropped as Shade was actually half in front of Rainbow,

“How good at takeoff is he?” Rainbow asked to the wind, and switched gears, Rainbow Dash had decided to hold back to just see how fast this pegasus was, but now she decided to hold back less Rainbow speeded past Shade Burst in the matter of seconds, greatly increasing the distance between the two pegusai in Rainbow Dash's favor. Shade growled to himself.

"Alright, let's go!" throwing paranoia and caution to the wind Shade Burst boosted again again and again to catch up to Rainbow Dash, who had a good 5 second lead, Rainbow Dash dived down towards the forest, Shade boosted down along with his burst to close the gap by a second.

Rainbow Dash blew into the forest, Rainbow decided to play it a little safe considering her substantial lead over her opponent, she slowed down a margin to weave in and about the trees, whereas when Shade Burst swooped in, his speed diminishing after his most recent boost, he was focused utterly on speed and catching up, his wings stayed midnight black as his boost triggered subconsciously as he tilted slightly to avoid each tree, boosting past every one, leaving a trail of black rings that dissipated behind him, the forest went dead silence due to the frequency of boosts that where being used, Shade was going faster in a forest where normally any pegasus would have to slow down.

Rainbow Dash and Shade both exited the forest at the same time and Shade's paranoia shot back as he saw the town and boosted once more on his ascent, swearing to not boost while over the town, Shade ascended higher than Rainbow Dash, who looked up a bit behind her and saw Shade at a higher elevation and was adopting a descending form of flying, this was a good move during a race when pegusai where forced to descend in a later part of the stage, but Rainbow Dash ignored Shade's superior position and flew faster, leaving a Rainbow Trail as her speed continued to increase,

"Stupid move Shade Burst, you challenged the fastest flier in Equestria's history to a race" Shade scolded himself and pushed his wings as hard as he could, he only was a few notches faster than any other pegasus out there when he didn't have his boost ability. Shade growled in irritation as he reached the forest, this time ten seconds behind the speedster pegasus, he assumed that Rainbow Dash would have slowed down and Shade once again got into his diving position and turned the forest silent with his constant boosts to close the gap.

Shade Burst flew out of the forest and ascended around the turn to see Rainbow Dash halfway around the turn. Shade increased his speed as much as he could to get around the turn, still he was trailing by 8 seconds. An incredible lead for anypony to have, but the usual for Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash saw that Shade was watching her with extreme determination, to further taunt the Stallion, on the purpose of riling him up to make a mistake, Rainbow Dash did a loop de loop then dived to the forest, and yelled a quick "NICE TRY!" as the topper on the taunt.

"ignore it just go" Shade yelled at himself and once again entered eh forest, repeating his previous boost session, he flew out of the forest and into town, where Rainbow Dash was standing on a cloud a scarf lying in front of her, Shade flew up to the cloud and landed on it. "what.. is that my scarf?"

"yep, sure is, decided to push myself in the forest, I got ahead far enough to get to your house and grab the scarf and come back to see your losing face!" Rainbow Dash had pushed herself in the forest and decided to push herself to her full potential, she completed the course and reached Shade's hose and back to claim an easy victory, as Shade had not exited the forest yet.

"Cheater" Shade picked up the scarf that had been in Rainbow Dash's hoof, the scarf was light blue from where Rainbow Dash had touched downwards, at the touch the scarf reverted back to black, Shade wrapped it tightly around his neck. "you just skipped the forest on the fourth time, your speed is great enough to do that" Shade growled "I thought you where better than that Rainbow Dash, I guess that was too much to expect from you"

"Hey!" Rainbow Dash growled "I did not cheat! and to prove it I am going to make a new race!" Rainbow Dash had noticed that somehow this pegasus' speed had fluctuated during the race, specifically getting faster in the forest "lets go to the forest to our right that curves around Ponyville, we race through that forest to your house, first to get there, wins" Rainbow Dash was still confident in her speed, so she jumped off the could and glided down towards the forest,

"Fine" Shade glided after Rainbow Dash, a small smirk descended upon his face, she was challenging him to a race in his territory, he had an advantage that may just win him this new bet. Shade followed Rainbow Dash as she glided over to a trail that went through the forest, she walked into the center of the trail and turned 90 degrees left, facing the forest that curved around ponyville.

"From here through the forest" Rainbow Dash stated, pointing a hoof, Shade gave no answer as he crouched, ready to take off.

“Same penalty?" Rainbow Dash asked, Shade only gave a solemn nod "alright... so... 3....2... 1.... Go!” Rainbow crouched and shot off like she was strapped to a catapult and flew into the forest, Shade shot off a second afterwards, focusing solely on speed once more he boosted through the forest, keeping up with Rainbow Dash.

"No cheating here" Shade said to himself as he boosted and boosted, focusing once again on just going as fast as he possibly could, throwing all thought of safety out the window as he accelerated, moving in front of Rainbow Dash.

Rainbow Dash decided to throw playing in safe out the window and went all out, she accelerated to her top speed that she would take when flying in open air and weaved in and out the trees no problem! "foals play, I had to do this every day in Wonderbolts training camp" Rainbow Dash left a weaving rainbow trail through the forest as she easily whipped through the forest and landed on Shade's cloud house with Shade Burst not even in sight.

"Ding ding ding~ we got ourselves a winner!" Rainbow Dash cheered and hoof pumped and sat on the cloud, a prideful smile on her face as she awaited her competitor.

meanwhile, when Rainbow Dash had accelerated to her normal speed, Shade screamed into the silence in anger and pushed himself harder, Boosting and boosting as fast as he could. trying in every way to increase his speed, to get faster, to push past his limit. Shade's mind flashed back to another time when he had pushed himself to his limit. the darkness and fear surrounded him as he flew faster. Shade ignored it and kept his colorless grey eyes focused on seeing the trees, he ignored the darkness with his eyes so his mind went to the screams, Shade's eyes widened as he heard them but ignored it to, finally the darkness formalized and attacked his eyes and ears he only saw black and words rang through his ears.

"RUN LITTLE PEGASUS, BECAUSE YOUR WINGS ARE USELESS HERE!"

Shade gasped as his nightmares attacked, his wings broke from the dive and his boosts stopped, the edge of Shade's wing clipped the side of a tree and Shade spiraled out of control and straight into the ground. Shade closed his eyes and black energy seeped out from under his eyes, his body became a Shade darker as he crashed and rolled into the group, creating one stallion sized rut into the ground twenty feet long. Shade climbed out from the rut, his body became normal colored once again as he shook his sore body to get the dirt off of him, Shade brought his wings out but pain rushed through right tip of his wing. Shad equickly looked at it and stretched his wing a few times "I clipped it, it would only hurt to fly now, but I can if necessary" Shade diagnosed and galloped through the forest, intent on keeping himself going at some speed to get to his house, he didn't want Rainbow Dash to think he quit the race, "this is not the first time I have ran when my wings where bad" Shade mused to himself but stopped the thought as his nightmares threatened to rush him again. "the punishment for secrecy" Shade sighed as he brought his wings out and began flying again, weaving a little slower and not using his boost, "you cannot live anywhere near a normal life"

Shade Burst finally broke the tree line and ascended up to his cloud house.

5 minutes after Rainbow Dash


"Yes, I have lost" Shade panted as he stood on his cloud house's entrance.

“Wow. what the hey happened there? I thought you where faster in the forest? maybe you where the one-" A growl stopped Rainbow Dash from continuing the sentence. "okay, what happened?"

“would you like to know? fastest flier in Eqestria? Because I will not tell you” Shade panted “and you deserve you answer for thinking such a thing, ch-"

“Hey!” Rainbow glared at Sade and flew up in front of him and landed, grabbing the midnight blue pegaus' scarf “Don’t even think about saying I'm a cheater! I beat you fair and square! alright!”

"now I have to buy you lunch for a total of five days. Correct?” Shade responded cooly as Rainbow Dash let go of his scarf.

“You are gonna buy me lunch for five days! Today's omelet does not count, and you have to eat with me when you buy lunch with me! that's for saying I cheated” Rainbow smiled gloatingly as she laid out the specifics of the penalty.

“I understand the pentalty, I will buy you lunch and eat lunch with you for five days, starting tomorrow.” Shade nodded and brought his hoof to his chest once more confusing Rainbow Dash. Rainbow nodded as well her smile growing bigger. an idea formed in her mind, as Rarity had said that the pony had a job that started after noon was over...

“soo... It's like 2 o'clock-”


“WHAT!?” Shade jumped in the air and then zipped in his house, he was shoving his coat on and running out the door “no no no no! I am going to be late! Mr. Haykenama will be furious!” Shade panicked as he went out the door again, as Rainbow wore an amused smile on her face, Shade took his cell out of his pocket and checked the time. “It is… 1:25.” Shade turned and glared at the now rolling-on-the-cloud-laughing-so-hard Rainbow Dash,

“hahaha! That’s priceless! The look of panic! “no no no no!” hahaha! Priceless! Hahahaha!” Rainbow had tears in her eyes that where falling on her cyan blue coat as she rolled on the cloud, Shade found the light blue Pegasus' laughter contagious. Shade laughed at his own over-reaction, eventually falling on the cloud right next to Rainbow Dash because of his own laughter, their laughter eventually died down and they lay there on the cloud, side by side.

“I work at the Wildhorse cafe, that’s where I learned to cook... And showboat while doing it, my shift starts at two during weekdays, and I have weekends off” Shade admitted... the anger at his loss had faded with his laughter, it was to be expected if you raced the best flier in Equestria that you would have no chance of winning. and he accepted the fact.

“Cool, I know something about you actually. Like fact stuff. Well…. I work on weather control as the captain for ponyville. I also am a Wonderbolt in training; my dream is to become a Wonderbolt.” Rainbow admitted back.

“A Wonderbolt? Nice, you can do it, I... I really do not have a dream.” Rainbow looked over at Shade with a annoyed look.

“Yes you do, everypony has a dream” Rainbow commented stubbornly.

“...I have a dream, but that is for me to know and you to find out, Rainbow Dash”

“Aw come on!” Rainbow Dash sat up and looked at Shade, who shook his head.

“No”

“Fine! I'll figure out later then” Rainbow sighed as she stood up and jumped, hovering in the air with her wings and flying backwards out of boredom and her desire to just be a showoff. Shade stood up and cleared his throat. Rainbow Dash stopped and landed on the cloud, tilting her head in curiosity.

"I formally apologize for calling you a cheater. It was vile of me when I was clearly outmatched, to resort to belittling my opponent to get revenge for my substantial loss. That is the ways of less honorable stallions, and is something I will never be proud of. I hope you can find it in your heart to eventually forgive me for my disrespect and misconduct" Shade bowed his head down at the end, Rainbow Dash was taken aback by Shade's actions, for she had already forgot about the "cheater" comment, but apparently Shade Burst had not.

"It's fine, Shade, I forgive you, I had already forgotten about it already" Rainbow Dash smiled as Shade's head came back up.

"Thank you for you forgiveness, Rainbow Dash" Shade nodded and Rainbow saw his shoulders lighten a millimeter, like a weight had been taken off.

"He's big on honor , isn't he?" Rainbow Dash mused to herself as a silence descended upon the two of them, Shade reached into his pocket and pulled his phone out and checked the time.

“Excuse me, but my shift starts in ten minutes. as I do not want to be late, I have to go”

"Later Shade!" Rainbow said goodbye with a wave, "don't forget lunch tomorrow!" Rainbow adopted a taunting smile as Shade rolled his eyes.

“See you tomorrow, Dashie.” Shade was grabbed by the scarf right after he used the nickname he had randomly come up with as a way to get Rainbow Dash back for the reminder

“Don't call me Dashie!” Rainbow Dash grabbed Shade's scarf and pulled him face to face.

“Or else” the two said in unison and Rainbow Dash could not stop herself from smiling. She let go of the scarf with a laugh as Shade smirked. Rainbow Dash flew up, and with wave, shot off into the distance. Shade watched the Pegasus's retreating figure with concern.

“What is this?” the thought was forgotten as Shade looked down at his scarf that had fallen out from being grabbed haphazardly out from under his long coat by a certain light blue mare, it had changed color, it was cyan from the spot Rainbow touched down, Shade rubbed the spot and it faded back to black “what was that? this is the second time this has happened.” Shade thought to himself as he flew off to Wildhorse cafe, but the thought was quickly replaced by thoughts of the light blue- in his eyes- mare that he had just spent time with, and the way his fears had made him spiral out of control. It upset his flying and he nearly ran into Derpy. “Sorry!” he apologized and looked to see if the mailpony was okay.

"It's fine Shade! just whatch where you are flying! crashing into pegasai is my job" Derpy called with a smile "oh that and delivering mail, see you around Shade!" Derpy flew off, Shade smiled a small smile and continued flying, his smile turned into a frown the farther he went

"This is dangerous" Shade banished the pegasus from his mind and focused on his flying "don't get caught in thoughts while flying"


Soul Song walked out of his practice room, leaving his guitar as he walked around in his cloud house in Applewood. He stretched his wings as he trotted up to his room to grab his guitar case, he grabbed his acoustic guitar and it's case and set his key inside it in a pocket as he put the guitar case, he locked the windows all shut, and flew around, humming a bit of song to himself. He grabbed his music player and headphones along with his cell phone and set it in the case as he flew around.

Soul flew past sheet music that was lying around in the middle of the table in the center of the high ceilinged room of his cloud house. Soul grabbed and organized the music, finding a few sheets of a rock Song that he had composed but not found the vocals for. He hummed a melody as he otherwise silently went about taking his un-composed music and putting it in a multi-layered folder. He put it in the guitar case; he then took the complete music and put it into a black locked briefcase, put the key in the guitar case, and slid the briefcase into the bookshelf in a cabinet behind it.

Soul Song walked around once more before setting the case on the table and went to go make a hay and jam sandwich, he never made it as the front door to the living room opened and a turquoise unicorn with a light blue mane trotted in, a red check mark on her flank, having used the spell to walk on clouds, her horn glowed as she walked in, the door shut behind her with a turquoise glow,

"Hello M." Soul greeted with a halfhearted wave.

"Hello. Song you’re re-recording is in an hour, get ready, now"

"Re-recording?" Soul Song asked, his eyebrows rising incredulously

"Yes, your last cd recording was sub-par at best, now you have to go and re-record the cd.”

"What!? All of it?!" Soul exclaimed, his producer, the recording technician, and the cd company representative had said that this was his best cd he's recorded so far, and his manager wanted him to re-record it!? A re-recording means losing money to bring the recorder back and probably the rest of the day, because she would make Soul Song do twelve retakes for each song of the 15 song cd, it was an unreasonable order to make to a singer.

"You know what? No. I'm not re-recording the cd, I did one of the best cd's I’ve ever done, this would be the second time you are gonna make me rerecord it. So no, I’m not going to do it"

"No, you are going to re-record the cd."

"No, I’m not, I’m taking a two week vacation! You have been making me work all day every day. I have had no down time. You can admit that much!"

"Fine, I admit I have not given you any free time, but as an artist you need to work! And an artist works best when worked fully."

"No, I come back from every concert pleasantly tired than you make me record a cd or do an interview or practice, I am going to lose my voice!" Soul Song argued. That took the wind out of her wings.

"I see, but you still need to work. You are hired by co-"

"Contract? I've read it a thousand times. I have done over 40 hours of singing a week, so I am entitled to "off time" and can declare it whenever I want.”

"yes, but I can revoke that if I say that you are needed to do a concert or cd recording that is required, I have set an interview up for two separate magazines on you and Vinyl Scratch's relationship. You two have been seen together a lot."

"Only ‘cause you made me and her go on what looked like a date a bunch of times! We have met and are friends due to being fellow artists and liking each other's music, but nothing more. And I like somebody else..." Soul Song replied, breaking eye contact.

"Oh, that weak willed fluttlershy? She's not interesting at all, whereas we have the brash mare, Vinyl Scratch, she's perfect for your image, the two best artists in equestria, together! Think about all of the opportunities. You could do a dual CD and singles! Exclusive mixes of the two of you together! Think about it! Your popularity would go through the roof!"

"And you would make a ton of money off me. By using me and Vinyl, no, I will not is any way be forced to date Vinyl. I’m leaving" Soul grabbed his guitar case and got up and left. "I’m going on a two week vacation!" Soul flew off before his manager could stop him and went off towards the train station, he bought a ticket for a train that was leaving towards ponyville and walked up to the train as it pulled in, he brought his guitar case with him and sat in a seat and set his guitar case next to him. After a few minutes the train’s whistle sounded and the train moved off towards ponyville. He brought his cell phone out of his case and opened the flip phone to select Shade Burst for a text.

[Hey Shade, I’m coming a little earlier] Soul cringed after he sent the text, he felt bad for putting a burden on his friend, but he needed it. His phone dinged a second later.

[How early?]

[Tonight, I’m coming by train] Soul sighed and sent the text and facehoofed, he felt pretty stupid.

[It is okay, is M overworking you?] Shade somehow knew the reason and had predicted it, Soul frowned,

[Yeah, she’s making me rerecord my newest CD. Again. And trying to pair me and Vinyl up just to get money off the two of us]

[I am surprised to say the little, you sent me the prototype of the re-record, it was very good. And what do you mean. “pair me and Vinyl up”?] Soul smiled at Shade, he sometimes didn’t always catch slang, and didn’t use shortened versions of words, and sometimes messed up slang he was trying to use, Soul found it fun to poke fun at his formality, but today he decided against it.

[She is trying to fake a relationship between me and Vinyl.]

[That is not good, I will have to talk to her sometime in the future, trying to put to people together in a relationship when they do not want to be is wrong, very wrong]

[I agree about what you just said, so I left]

[You quit?]

[No no no no! I went on a two week vacation, does that sound good?]

[So you did not quit, thank Luna, and yes, that is a viable reason] Shade did sometimes use uncommon words that he found more interesting than the normal ones

[So can I come here tonight?]

[Of course, you are always welcome in my home. I will await you at the train station]

[Okay, see ya soon Shade Burst.]

[See you soon, Soul Song] after that last text Soul flipped the phone shut and looked put the window. His mind drifted to that of Fluttershy, and he let his head rest against the window and let himself fall into the darkness of sleep.

Author's Note:

well, this is not my first time writing fan fiction, but it is my first time writing my little pony fan fiction, I hope you enjoyed it! tell me what about it you liked and what about it you didn't. constructive criticism is welcome. thank you for reading.
Shadow of a Former Brony out.