• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 2,595 Views, 78 Comments

Horseshoes - Peter Yellowhammer



Caramel and Big Macintosh compete in an athletic competition. But nopony else knows why...

  • ...
3
 78
 2,595

Sideviews

Salt Shaker waited patiently as she was served outside the commoner's cafe. The waiter seemed to understand her needs, which was a refreshing contrast with the rest of the muted town's self-service attitude. She needed that contrast; she hated the carelessness that surrounded her new home. More ponies like him needed to live in places like this to make them bearable. It only made sense.

“Ah, my love!”, Money Mover called to her from the south. “So horribly sorry, that pink nightmare of a mare caught me by surprise again. A true night...mare? O-ho, that just hit me upside the head!”

Late again, darling. This keeps getting worse with each engagement! I'm starting to wish you were the waiter here to give you some perspective!

“Not to worry, dear. I just settled in myself.”

Half an hour ago...

Money sat down opposite her but neglected to peruse the menu. He had ordered the same entree for the entire summer, as if his entire world would fall apart if he dared to order something more substantial. If ponies here prepared food for substance in the valley, then she and he might as well embrace it! But no such luck, it seemed.

Perhaps this autumn will be different. With those two rowdies broken up, everything will shift again. New business, new potential connoisseurs, new opportunities for...just a moment of what we once had...

“Oh, did you change your hair, darling?”, asked Money. “It suits you just so!”

Salt made herself smile. The waiter refilled her water glass with a careless hum.

“Yes, thank you, my love. It's nice to know you noticed.”

At least those deviants were honest. I can't even access my own husband...

...No! Autumn will be different; I will make it so! He'll be enraptured with me yet, only for a sprig of inspiration. Something outside the nominal...

Of course. Of course!

“...so that's how she managed to get me lodged in a hollow tree! Hahaha! Can you imagine, love? My pampered self at the mercy of foliage; it slayed me to no end!”

Hmm. To be at the mercy of something greater than yourself, darling...I like that. No, focus, Saltine!

“Money, dear?”

“How much?”

The waiter chuckled; Salt forced herself to recognize that before continuing.

“No, you silly pony. What do you make of the Iron Pony debacle last week?”

Her lime green stallion scrunched his face up in thought. It was the same gorgeous face she crushed on for months before finally asking him to give a tour of the Canterlot Premiere Bank. Discussing the watercolors hung throughout the establishment, chiding the mindless gazers, even introducing the concept of fine-crystalline salt: a nip of it from her prize sample...and the result sat in front of her now, as it had for seventeen years. Perhaps this silly face would be her ticket out of this rut.

“It's...tricky, certainly. For me, it surprised me how much publicity the two got the day after. I was sure the novelty had worn off as soon as...as...”

“Caramel,” answered that ubiquitous orange mare. What was her name?

“R-Right, thank you, miss. Anyway, as soon as Caramel unveiling his cutie mark to the valley blew over, it seemed...blown over. The trending world moved on like it always does. So all the press the break-up received simply seemed unlikely. Am I wrong?”

He had you tripping over yourself to donate to Appleloosans. And you weren't the only one; he had most of our friends dipping into the principle! I was surprised the competition didn't have more reporters, with only the one speaking up in the name of modesty, of all things! I swear, you've become a mite oblivious.

..Did I just think 'a mite' to myself? Gracious, this town is infectious.

“Ponies can surprise you, love. Heavens knows you have.”

...I said that out loud. Oh dear. I must be losing my grip.

Money of course looked highly concerned. The waiter and even the farm mare – Apple-something? - peered at her with discomfort.

“Darling, is everything alright?”

Tell him tell him tell him quit fussing over prudence and say what you feel! Who cares if the whole town hears it; what really matters? This is your marriage here! Tell the truth!

“...Oh, yes, it's nothing. I just noticed how much we've changed.”

Spineless. So much for your mission of love.

“It's staggering, isn't it?”, said Money with muted awe. “I'm not half the pony I was when we came here, and you're...”

Salt feigned an interested gaze.

“...even lovelier than before, yes, my dear! This valley just swept us into the seasons without a care, always having something unexpected happen at the strangest times!”

But then something unexpected happened. The farm mare walked over with her chair in her teeth, set it down next to them, and made herself comfortable with the sunniest smile on her face.

“Mind if Ah throw in mah two bits?”

The mare stuck out her hooves to both Money and Salt. They were filthy.

“Th' name's Applejack, pleased t'meet you two.”

Salt gingerly gave her own hoof to shake, noticing that her husband was less hesitant to do so. That walking cotton candy ball must have influenced him more than she feared.

“Pleased to meet you, dear,” started Salt. “I am Saltine Shaker, and this is my dear husband Money Mover. But this is a private conversation, if you please--”

“Ah'm sorry t'intrude on y'all,” she said while looking straight at them, “but Ah jus' cain't sit by while two ponies who love each other muck 'round not sayin' whut they really mean. Ah've made that mistake before, an' Ah'm not gonna make it 'gain.”

The silver Unicorn shared a glance with her husband, who seemed completely befuddled. Even when she pressed him to address her by way of a hard stare, he simply threw his hooves up and bugged his eyes in a helpless shrug. It seemed she would have to take care of this herself. Yes. She would have to take care of his type of acquaintance.

“I'm afraid we have no idea what you're saying, dear,” she stated forcefully.

“Well, s'like this,” Applejack continued without a hint of trepidation. “Ah can tell you were fibbin' clear as day, Ms. Shaker, an' you were doin' it with a 'make nice or everythin's ruined' face to boot. Fer th' sake o' yer husband...fer th' sake o' yerself, jus' tell th' truth an' have done with it.”

Salt didn't even have to look back to Money to know he was nervous. She was preparing to rebut the audacity of this Applejack to prescribe anything for a relationship which had nothing to do with her, when--

“Shoot, if'n those two blockheads had done it, then maybe it wouldn't've turned out that way...”, said Applejack with her eyes to the ground.

Those two blockheads? Where in Equestria did that...ah. A-ha! I knew I had seen you before. Yes...over in the fields after the Cataclysm. Perhaps a different approach is in order...

Saltine threw aside her disgust at the situation, replacing it with her most sympathetic eyes and a slightly wan smile.

“It was tragic what happened, wasn't it?”, she offered sweetly.

The rude mare returned Salt's gaze despondently, almost suspiciously...and then shut her eyes as she swallowed. Excellent.

“Ah jus' don' git it,” Applejack finally admitted after a short wait. “Those two weren't th' most experienced pair – or th' least troubled fer that matter – but it seemed like they were better than that. Ah'm not usually wrong 'bout this stuff! Ah coulda sworn they woulda known better than t'behave that way.”

“Yes, it was a frightfully belligerent scene at the competition--”

“Wha?”, asked Applejack suddenly. “No, no, Ah meant fer th' long term! Those two had problems that were haunting them fer th' longest time, an' fer some stupid reason, they decided t'burden their love with them. They weren't even together fer that long! An' now...Ah've never seen mah brother this upset, not even back in the spring.”

Out of curiosity, Salt glanced past her beloved to spy a table outside Sugarcube Corner. She couldn't stand that establishment, for more than one reason. A decent summary of her contempt sat on the plate between two ponies: a small pile of daisies liberally covered in chocolate. Disgraceful. At least they bothered to put tables outside with the year's changes: there was no excuse for poor service for any business. Nevertheless, a large red stallion nuzzling a sun-colored mare hovered obnoxiously over the table.

He seems fine to me.

“Now don' you be fooled by that one,” spat Applejack without warning. “He was...”

Salt had to smirk as Applejack faltered; obviously, she was realizing just how intimate she was being in front of two complete strangers. This pony would not make a competent therapist, not with that all-on-the-table philosophy. As surreptitiously as she could, she checked Applejack's plate from the other table to see if there were traces of salt on it.

“...well, let's jus' say we all lost some sleep fer a few nights. It wuz nonstop misery tearin' at all our hearts; but then he up an' courts June like it's th' summertime! Out o' th' blue! As if that would solve his problem, great skies. That pair over there won't last, believe you me.”

Telling herself it was purely out of attentiveness this time, she spied the pair again: they did have warm, giddy smiles gracing their faces, mirrored corner for corner to each other. If the smile on the stallion was actually fake, then he was a convincing actor. But at the same time, the contorted faces the same pony was pulling the week before...to be smiling so quickly after a scene like that would be suspicious.

Money said nothing. It was like he wasn't even there.

“Ah haven't even seen Caramel since that day. But Ah cain't imagine that he's doin' much better. Probably still in that house all this week...”

Suddenly, Money snapped back into reality. Or at least, it had seemed like he had left reality before. Yet another mystery to add to the list...

“Oh, I can tell you that, miss. Young Caramel ventured to Canterlot for a while, saying he would return here for the Running of the Leaves. It wasn't clear why he went there or why exactly he felt the need to leave, but the Valley Chronicle covered the whole thing; didn't you read--”

Applejack softly grunted in what could only be discomfort. Were she in her position, Salt wouldn't much care for reading gossip either.

“--Ah. My apologies,” offered Money.

“N-Not a problem,” answered Applejack. “It's jus' that Ah have enough t'think 'bout without all that nonsense. Ah really should jus' buck up an' git a copy, though; Ah cain't afford t'be uninformed much longer.”

As if hit by lightning, Salt changed from regarding Applejack with a kind of irritated pity to a poignant astonishment. This mare was unabashedly honest. She had told herself fervently that the language of truth was the most beautiful of all, even when she told the most pathetic lies. But here across from her sat the face of honesty, and it seemed so very...awkward. Honesty would be nothing if not awkward; that was the lesson here. Apparently, this Applejack couldn't be bothered to dress up her speech with smooth little half-truths or pretty understatements, unless it was necessary, like before. What an odd pony!

What must it be like to live like that, to be like that? Real honesty...

She gazed wistfully at her husband.

It's worth a shot. She still needs to learn, as does he.

“...so Ah'll be fine once Ah figure out whut t'do. That's all.”

“That sounds perfectly reasonable,” said Money. “I wish you luck on mending these bridges.”

“Thank you kindly, Mr. Mover.”

The pensive mare took a deep breath as she shook out of her reverie, noticing the other two at the table glancing aimlessly around them at various objects...but most of their eye contact was concentrated on her, albeit intermittently. That could only mean one thing. Great: now she was the awkward one.

Well, this is as good a time as any.

“Well,” started Salt, “this was a refreshing chat we had. But before we part ways, Miss Applejack, there are a few things I want to say.”

Applejack leaned forward slightly before saying: “Yes, Ms. Shaker?”

Salt also leaned forward – toward Money.

“You never listen to me anymore; you run off at the oddest occasions to go Celestia knows where; we barely have any quality time together, and when we do, you're late for it without fail; we've stayed in this valley for longer than we need or even than we're welcome; out daughter's so alienated from us that we can't even talk to her anymore; little Toodles is constantly ill and depressed, yet you ignore him as if he weren't even there; Honda can't manage your unpredictable monitoring anymore...”

She deliberately paused, taking the opportunity for a deep breath.

“...And perhaps the most telling of all, I did not change my hair! How oblivious can you be?! It's...it's not even vaguely different, darling!”

Levitating her water glass, she coaxed the flavorless liquid down her system as she observed the fruits of her work. Applejack was tight-lipped and wide-eyed with a bold blush painted on her cheeks, evidently not daring to say a word. And her dearest lover looked like he was about to faint. She coolly set her glass back down on the table.

“Thank you for listening, Miss Applejack,” she said with grandeur. “I have to say, young Caramel and Macintosh lying to each other is understandable. After all...honesty has its consequences.”

Money noisily forced breath into his lungs, his terribly flattering blush growing darker to match his hide more closely. Applejack seemed at a loss for a response.

“...W-Well,” the farm mare finally said after a minute, “it's clear Ah'm jus' intrudin' now. Ah'll leave you two t'yer lunch....hahaha...”

Saltine could tell that Applejack was deliberately cleaning up slowly to avoid any more conversation. Luckily for that mare, she needed to say nothing else. At least, not to her.

As soon as it was just the two of them left, Money's breathing slowed and calmed completely as he furrowed his brow. Salt hoped he was trying to figure out what to say and not developing a fever.

“I...”, started the silly pony, “I s-suppose we have a lot to discuss, my love.”

Saltine rested her head on her hooves and glanced a final time at the Sugarcube Corner pair. The sun-colored mare wasn't smiling anymore, staring at some other abomination of a sweet. She smiled at her husband.

“Yes, dearest, we do.”

---

Junebug frowned at the empty plate between the two of them. The chocolate was too rich to be enjoyable for too long, but Mac certainly enjoyed it, if his lip-smacking was any indication. She herself thought the daisies were too dry for the snack to be worth it. And she would be dense to not realize what else was dry between them.

It was not by accident that she wanted this treat when Pinkie Pie was throwing a party on the other side of town.

“June?”

June instantly felt invigorated at the sweet, rumbling voice. She wouldn't have admitted it before, but that was always the case, without fail. On reflection, she would have sought him out to ask him on a date after enough time had passed since Iron Pony; but she didn't expect the wonderful stallion to ask her out only four days after the fact! She counted herself lucky, if for no other reason than getting to see Mac's good side more often. On the other hoof, it was painfully clear that this was merely a side of Macintosh, that the admittedly entrancing smile on his face came at a price.

Part of that price was not having the luxury of long thought.

“Yeah, Mac? This is just a perfect day for this, isn't it?”

“Eeyup. You, uh...you doin' alright, babe?”

This was the same problem as yesterday: she had to guide him along the right path, else history would repeat itself.

“I'm doing great! But I have to admit, this snack we got is a little--”

“Wait here.”

Junebug started a little. This was not the same as yesterday. He seemed almost panic-stricken as he got up to go into the bakery. Maybe she looked bored, so he was trying to impress her? Maybe it was something entirely unrelated? Whatever the case, she suspected he was about to get a cupcake lovingly topped with swirling, bright frosting and possibly garnished with a morning glory flowerhead. And he would do it all with the same, sunniest smile. What could she do?

“Psst!”

Junebug whipped her head in the direction of the colt's call but saw nothing. She was simply staring at the ponies in front of Quills & Sofas, looking like a frightened rabbit for seemingly nopony in particular. Satisfied that she wasn't the one being called, she turned her head back to face forward...and beheld something that shouldn't have existed anymore:

Smartypants sat in front of her, slightly nudging the chocolate-stained plate in the center. It was sitting right on top of her copy of the Valley Chronicle.

This...this was destroyed by Caramel, wasn't it? Just the sight of it reminds me of Twilight all crazy-maned, eugh. Yeah; Mac made a bit stink about it when it happened. The only time he mentioned his name after that day...What the hells is it doing here?

Simply being made aware of the doll's presence subconsciously made her hearing more sensitive to lower noises. As she heard the sound of hooves begin to bore through the atmosphere from the bakery, she quickly snatched Smartypants and threw 'her' around the side of the building, making a mental note to retrieve it once Mac was out of the line of sight. Although, as soon as the sound dissipated and Mac finally came out with the sweet in tow, it occurred to her she had no idea when that would be. That, and...

...Why did I do that?

“Ooh!”, she made sure to exclaim at the sight of the frosted...brownie? Unusual, but she supposed worse confectionery ideas existed. It probably tasted sinful, despite looking like an accident. Predictably, Big Mac grinned as he sat it down.

Unpredictably, he said: “They jus' begged me t'take it from them! Cain't imagine why; looks delicious.”

Junebug glanced to the kitchen obscured by the faux-candy walls, trying to imagine what the hells could have happened to make a frosted brownie unwanted. She found she couldn't imagine anything, but just the effort helped the phantom of that patchwork donkey fade from her mind. But if that were all she did, she knew it wouldn't be enough.

Augh, I'm gonna blurt it out at this rate! Come on, June, you can figure this out...um...distractions, distractions, right. What would distract me from this?

Ever careful not to betray her thoughts, she picked up her half of the brownie and took a small bite. It tasted like she was brained by a bag of sugar; maybe that was why the Cakes wanted to get rid of it. Then again, the over-sweet part came from the frosting; all she had to do was scrape it off and it was fine. Funnily enough, it seemed fitting for the scene in which she found herself too often. Sickeningly sweet amid bitter times...like an over-thorned rose in the center of a field of weeds. Inevitably, the odd plant out would be the undesired plant, and thus the rose would become the weed. But all it would take is a simple snip of secateurs to sever the shrub, and then maybe the flower could be saved...

Of course!

“Mac, babe?”

“Eeyup?”, crooned the oblivious lug.

“...You ever miss the summer we had?”

Mac frowned, undoubtedly in confusion, while Junebug compromised with herself by stealing a glance toward the hidden doll. She couldn't actually tell if it were still there behind the corner; but then again, she couldn't see why anypony would whisk it away. She still had to look there despite the futility to calm herself, maybe take a deep breath. Yes. Everything would be fine. Everything would be fine. Mac would remember the confusing summer haze, and everything would be fine.

“Ah guess a little. Ah don' miss all th' work we had t'do.”

“I hear that,” said Junebug. “But I have to admit, it was wild what we got those rock-needles to do.”

Mac's smile returned; Junebug could almost smell the mid-June dirt off of him with that smile, the very first patch of real dirt they recovered out of the unearthly terrain.

“Whut wuz wild wuz you turnin' 'em into our ticket out. We were ready t'stomp all that crud out bit by bit...but then you up an' poured some water where yer little garden used t'be...”

Junebug blushed, but not strictly out of flattery.

“I was half-asleep, Mac; I thought my flowers were just covered in dust or something ridiculous like that.” She chuckled softly. “The only reason it worked--”

“--Wuz cuz it wuz water that wuzn't touched by chaos, Ah remember. You don' hafta explain it every time, babe, heh heh!”

Her blush grew deeper and darker.

“...It was only an accident.”

“But that 'accident' saved our hides. You should be proud, sugar! Ah still don' git why you won't tell anypony.”

The flower mare allowed herself to smirk.

"Oh...I don't want everypony going crazy over me. Oh, speaking of going crazy..."

With practiced ease, she started talking on autopilot. She was used to doing it when working at the flower shop with Rose and company, gabbing about whatever happened to whoever. But this time, it really helped her reflect on her 'accident': that clumsy, but admittedly defining moment in her life...and in Equestria's history.

She bore the trauma of the cataclysm itself without too much strain – at least not compared to everypony else – but it was the complete lack of natural plant life around her that tore her up inside. All of her precious stems and petals were devoured in the roar of forced decay. It wasn't until her slip-up that the jagged stone, in front of her then-dilapidated house, melted into the rich brown with which she was familiar. Then, as if it were icing on one of Pinkie's cakes, a cluster of seeds manifested and planted themselves in the soil. All she and the rest of Ponyville – the rest of Equestria – had to do was track down their purest water to retrieve their soil from the same curse that robbed it so greedily.

“...so then Rose decided it just wasn't worth the trouble and left the poor boy alone. Oh, look here on page five!”

Of course, this had to be balanced with using the pure water to drink...but not a moment too soon, the Pegasi managed to eke out the first rainclouds in two weeks, one for each community. With an entire reservoir of pure water available, ponies were able to sate their thirst and start reducing the corruption on the land in earnest. All because of a sleepy act of habit.

“...but that's just silly, Mac! Brownies are always good. And don't take that from me; take it from your taste buds. They should have just left it bare.”

She decided to simply act surprised when the other ponies noticed her garden with fertile soil, setting the pail next to it as an obvious clue; having too much attention on her just never sat well with her. She planned on telling nopony whatsoever...That was, until Big Macintosh came along and undoubtedly saw right through her.

“...Ugh, alright, fine! Hahaha...it was nice being the one who salvaged the soil, I admit it. Why wouldn't it be nice, really? O-Oh, hey, that reminds me of...”

It was two weeks after Caramel left, so Junebug wasn't sure how to relate to her sudden investigator. But the simple fact she had to consider their relationship was telling enough to her. She couldn't speak for him exactly, but she had to admit to some repressed interest at the time, to put it mildly. The only safe option she could see was to foster the new plants given to them by chance; he agreed to keep her secret, although they did talk about it in depth when it was safe. As much as she didn't like it, as much as it confused her...she deeply enjoyed it and achieved a deeper sense of peace, just from being next to him. It became a summer outside of time, making the future uncertain yet never worth pushing away.

Even though that was exactly what they did.

“...but that's all I have to say about it. By the way, where were you last week?”

Junebug stopped herself from looking back at where Smartypants was concealed again. She was seeing reminders of their decision everywhere today: the doll was thrown aside like they had thrown their connection aside once Caramel returned. The void that was made that day wasn't filled even now. She still had to find random targets of conversation to gloss over it, even to herself when she was alone. It was pathetic, but it seemed unavoidable unless something drastic happened. Something else drastic, that is.

...Wait. What did she just say?

Uh oh.

Mac's face held no smile now. And she knew exactly why that was. She put the paper down below the table.

“...Ah already told you: it's private.”

Oh, is it so private that you can't tell your own girlfriend? Is that really how it is?! You're so...oooooh crud, this is not good, not good at all. Me and my big mouth.

“I-I'm sorry, really. It's just--”

“Don', June. Jus' don' even.”

The bakery was oddly quiet. For some silly reason, Junebug found herself hoping the Cakes weren't eavesdropping on them.

I really don't see why this is such a big deal! It's not like you're the mischievous type, so you should just tell me and have done with it! I can tell you hate keeping this secret, too! Why won't you just open up to me?

“...So...”

“So whut?” It seemed his humor wasn't coming back easily.

At that moment, Junebug was struck with the strangest inspiration. Although she wasn't prepared to give up what was given to her – albeit under awful circumstances – she thought it made sense to raise the stakes a little. Maybe then some shadow of intimacy could be restored between them.

“...So are we never going to be able to talk about it?”, she asked plainly.

June...!”, Big Macintosh growled.

“I'm serious! We can't just gossip about random things all the time! We need to...share our lives, you know?” She kept herself from adding 'starting with that trip you took.'

“Ah don' need t'share that. An' none o' yer business why! It's...”

Junebug shuddered as Mac took a very heavy sigh.

“...Ah don' mean nothin' by it, babe. Honest. Ah jus' gotta keep this t'mahself fer however long. An' besides...”, he said with a sudden shift in tone, moving from defensive to offensive, so to speak, “...it's still early fer us. You can gossip 'bout yer friends all you want, an' Ah'm happy t'listen. S'no big deal.”

If it weren't for how we got together, I wouldn't think it was a big deal, either. Four days and you're my boyfriend? I'm not stupid; I know a rebound when I see one. Well, we'll see about that.

Junebug recoiled at her last thought. Since when did she think thoughts like that? It was horrible what happened, and she dearly hoped that Caramel would return to Ponyville and not wallow away in Canterlot. Then again, if there were a place to wallow...No, it made no difference! Caramel was her friend, and what she and Mac were doing was just weird. The only thing about it was that she wasn't about to stop it...

I guess good and evil really do walk side by side.

“...you an' him are so alike, Ah suppose s'no wonder Ah picked you. Yer both so damn pushy.”

“E-excuse me?!”

Mac jumped at her voice, looking just as surprised as she felt.

“U-Uh, nothin'! Nothin' at all, jus'...haha, me an' mah big mouth...”

Junebug was almost bowled over at the irony of that sentence; let alone the fact she wasn't buying it for a second. Frankly, she was surprised he mentioned his last relationship. Thinking over her options, she recognized how she stepped on unfriendly territory earlier, and so decided to just call it even.

“Haha...yeah. You know what, babe?”

“E-Eey...yeah?”

“You're right. It's no big deal.”

She didn't bother internalizing her emotion this time, laughing mindlessly with her stud like nothing really mattered. After all, if she played her cards right...nothing really would. She just wished she didn't have to play at all; but if she weren't playing, somepony else would be.

They both finally decided their lunch date was over and got up. Having paid the requisite bits earlier, they decided to have a short stroll by the north side of the valley. This was the relationship...well, if it could be called that, that she remembered and strived for with each tactic. Just the two of them enjoying themselves, not a word needing to be spoken...why talk and ruin the moment?

“WHUT?!”

Case in point.

Instantly remembering what she had forgotten, and filled with dread at the realization, Junebug turned around to see Big Macintosh gob-smacked at the stuffed donkey toy lying face-first in a mud pile. She hoped with all her heart that he wouldn't turn around and prompt her for an answer with those damn entrancing eyes, green with indignant beauty. She couldn't take those eyes, not when they bore right into her soul like that. She...she just couldn't risk it; she had to act before it happened.

“What's that thing?”

---

Spike wasn't truly sure of anything anymore. That little nugget of comfort had been crushed underhoof when he was transformed in the springtime. Granted, he had requested it, but it seemed ever since that confusing day, everything else became even more confusing in a series of falling dominoes. But no matter how confused he was or would become, he had to do his part for the community. That was exactly why he was bothering to put on his humiliating dragon scale suit as he ascended in the balloon to comment on the Running of the Leaves, even though hardly anypony was there and he had abandoned that form and all it made him suffer.

That, and Rarity made it for him a long time ago. He wasn't about to break a promise.

A few dozen meters above the ground, he could see the unfortunate situation even more clearly: the thirty-something ponies sick from some Everfree pathogen left the track with only half of the needed amount to make the leaves fall. It was made especially poignant in that the cataclysm made the leaves burst into multihued flame before said flame consumed all the trees throughout Equestria. Only by the grace of his fight alongside Twilight and their friends were they able to stop the upheaval in time to save whatever sapling trees remained – the only saplings strong enough to resist the abominable energy coursing through the land.

No matter how long he lived, he would remember the fury of Draconequii when they joined forces. If he wasn't able to save Twilight...he wasn't sure what would have happened. He wasn't sure how he could live with himself if that were what really happened. But well, that had nothing to do with making leaves fall from trees, did it? Nope, not really.

...But that didn't stop him from thinking of it, especially since the solution to this predicament wasn't showing itself. Worse came to worse, he could run with them; he had the bulk for it now. And it wasn't like he wasn't used to running...Revolt and Discord made sure he was fit for any marathon.

It only took the shallowest thought of Revolt to make him shiver. It wasn't so much a sexless Draconequus itself that seemed so jarring to him: it was what it implied. If Revolt was sexless, and Discord was male...there was a chance of a female running around somewhere in the world. Twilight could keep telling him he was crazy all day, but it wouldn't make a difference. Banishing those two alone to the Hell of Oblivion wasn't going to be enough; it was only a matter of time, he could feel it down to his hooves.

Swallowing his anxiety, he cleared his throat to speak into the microphone.

“The Running of the Leaves is taking any last-minute volunteers. Don't be shy! Now's your chance to work your legs and show what you've got!”

This is so embarrassing. It's like the Pegasi Tornado all over again...but worse. T-then again, it's not like this will make us run out of water, just...slow things down a little. Oh, please Celestia, just bail me out this once! Haven't I done enough?!

He called out over the next fifteen minutes, but no such luck came upon him. It seemed he really would have to help out the thirteen ponies that were actually down there: they couldn't get behind schedule, or he would never hear the end of it! He was already dreading the press backlash, as unjustified as it would be. Even though organization was more Twilight's specialty, this certainly wasn't his fault. But on the other hoof, participating in the Running itself would make him look good...

Spike sighed. Getting press over a change like he went through was nice; getting press just because was tiresome. Ponies like Rarity and Caramel were left alone as soon as the event passed by...but apparently Spike wasn't one of those ponies. Well, at least he would be one of those ponies that didn't crack under pressure. If only he had a few more runners to make a fatter photo op...

“It's about time!”

“Now we'll kick some butt! Oh, I'm PUMPED now!”

Could it be?

“It's good t'see you here, ain't that right, Rainbow?”

“Hells yeah, it's good! You're going down, heartbreaker!”

Eugh. Yes, it was. Yes...YES! This was perfect!

“RAINBOW!”

“...Too soon?”

It was like a prayer answered from Paradise.

“WAY too soon!”

“Alright, I'm sorry, sheesh...”

Everything would be fine. Everything would be fine. Big Macintosh overcoming his personal troubles to help the town? It would fit the bill perfectly.

“...Don' worry 'bout it none, Rainbow. Let's jus' git these here leaves down.”

“That's more like it!”

...After all, what better time than now?

“Big brother, you sure 'bout this? Ah mean, Ah could round up our herd o' cows an' jus'--”

“No need. Ah got...this...”

What? Oh, no. He didn't like that tone. He didn't like it at all. What was going on? Spike anxiously scanned the area to find...ah. So that was why. The guy did say he was coming back for this. Spike had completely forgotten amid all the minutiae.

“N-Now let's be civil 'bout this. We're all here t'run fer th' good o' th' trees. We worked awful hard t'git them back. An' let's be honest, we need all th' help we can git now. We good?”

“Um...”, said Spike from the balloon, “AJ? Open your eyes.”

She opened them and looked around her: all the ponies except for the Apple siblings and Rainbow Dash had fled the scene, and no guesses needed as to why. So much for his announcing gig. Without even looking, Spike knew in heart that Caramel saw what was happening and just 'smiled.'

...Then again, looking at him now, it seemed the pony was in a friendly mood? What for? He had just been considerably insulted: if it were him, Spike would have at least sneered a little. But Caramel didn't even seem troubled. To think that pony was the reason he still had nightmares of hordes of hoof-wrestling horses.

“Uh....heh heh,” began Spike, trying to soothe his poor nerves. “Well, this is just off the cuff, but I'm confident these four ponies can do the job! There's certainly enough power between them, especially with--”

“Spike!”, shouted Caramel to the balloon. “Just...don't bother. Don't do that to yourself. You should come down.”

He couldn't believe his ears. Somepony told him to take it easy. Caramel of all ponies, after everything that happened, was saying exactly what he wanted to hear without even being prompted. He almost wanted to cry.

“...You seem different, Caramel,” he opted to say instead.

Caramel shrugged as he replied: “I feel different.”

“....I'll just come down, then.”

“Good idea.”

Turning off the microphone, the severity of the situation was made apparent to him again. The two former lovers were standing on the extreme ends of the starting line, refusing to look at each other. Well, Big Macintosh was refusing to look to his left. Caramel still seemed much more agreeable than two weeks ago, looking all around him with a cool, mildly concerned gaze. Maybe Canterlot had set him straight?

Dammit, I'm still in announcer mode. I'm getting out of here.

...No no, they still need a good start. I'll just dismiss the grand marshal and make it simple.

Having done as he promised himself, Spike held the whistle between his teeth somewhat unsteadily. The four other ponies seemed to just stand there awkwardly, making it unclear when to start, or even if they should start at all.

“Uh...”, started Rainbow, “I, uh, should probably--”

“Rainbow, don' you DARE skimp out on this.”

“Oh, come ON, this is so awkward it's creepy. I really need to--”

“You know what, Rainbow?”, interjected Caramel. “You and Applejack probably should go.”

“Whut did--”

“Eeyup.”

Spike had never seen Applejack quite so stunned in his time in Ponyville. Then again, he was sure he looked fairly taken aback as well, having dropped the whistle as his jaw dropped. Rainbow Dash flew off toward her home, Spike surmised by the rushing wind to his right.

“Ah don'...BELIEVE this! You cain't jus'--”

“Eeyup, Ah can. Now go.”

“Yer bein' silly! Jus' let us--”

“Ah SAID you should GO, sis. Ah'm yer elder, an' you'll obey me!”

“MACINTOSH, DON' YOU DARE--”

“GIT TH' FUCK OUTTA HERE BEFORE AH...j-jus' GO, NOW!”



There was nothing more to say. Applejack was gone. Spike sounded the whistle, and Big Macintosh and Caramel started running down the bare dirt path.

Spike left.