• Published 23rd Dec 2013
  • 501 Views, 4 Comments

Seeking Truth - Razorcat



A somewhat short story about a Gryphon who traveled to Equestria on a mission to discover the origins of a strange artifact. Will somepony be able to help him, or will the bad memories that Gilda left behind stop him from finishing his quest.

  • ...
 4
 501

Ponyville

Seeking Truth – Ch.2 – Ponyville


Seeker landed on the outskirts of the town and decided to walk the rest of the way. After crossing the bridge and reaching the town hall, he saw that there were a lot of Ponies up and about, despite it still being early.

As Seeker walked through the town, he noticed the unwelcoming looks some of the Ponies were giving him, some were hostile, but the majority of them looked at him with fear. They all remembered what happened when Gilda visited. And no pony was eager to repeat that incident.

It was ten minutes later when Seeker realized that he had no Idea what direction the library was in. He thought about flying but realized that probably wouldn't help much either. He noticed a yellow Pegasus coming toward him who could probably give him directions, Unfortunately, she had her head down, apparently trying to avoid getting his attention. The best thing to do, Seeker realized, would be to just let her pass by, avoid confrontation, and keep walking around till he either found the library, or somepony who would talk to him.

“You know what...” He thought. “Screw it.” And moved to get the Pegasus's attention.

"Excuse me..?" He asked.

The yellow Pegasus paused, glanced in his direction slightly, and said. "Um, y-yes? Can I h-help you?"

Seeker was surprised at the Pegasus’s nervousness. "Yes I'm looking for a unicorn named Twilight Sparkle. Have you seen her?"

"What!" The Pegasus suddenly got a lot more aggressive. "Why are you looking for Twilight!?"

The Pegasus started stalking forward, causing Seeker to back up out of fear.

“Who are you? I swear if your here to hurt my friends!”

Seeker stopped backing up and put his hands out in front of him.

"Whoa, whoa, calm down.” Seeker reached into in bag and retrieved to note Zecora had written. “Look, a few weeks ago I met Zecora out in the Everfree forest, while I was staying with her she told me that Twilight Sparkle could help me find information on an artifact I've been studying."

The Pegasus took the note from Seeker and quickly read it over. When she was done, her anger was quickly replaced with embarrassment.

"I'm, I'm sorry I yelled at you like that, but, h-how about I t-take you to the library to make for it?”

“I would very much enjoy having you escort me to the library.”

The Pegasus’s face reddened a bit more. “O-Okay, my name's Fluttershy by the way.”

As the two of them walked toward the town library, Fluttershy told Seeker about Gilda, about how she had been a bully and a thief while she was visiting, and how she had gone berserk during the party they threw for her. She also mentioned that her friend Pinkie had tried to contact Gilda after she left, but Rainbow Dash refused to tell anyone where Gilda lived.

“Oh!” Fluttershy gasped. “I forgot, Pinkie Pie welcomes everyone who comes to town, It's like her unofficial job.” She stopped, and put her hoof on Seeker's talon, a silent order for him to do the same.“I-Is it okay, If I tell Pinkie that you're here? She would go crazy if she found out she missed an opportunity to make someone laugh.”

Seeker sighed and ran his talon through his feather mane as he thought about his answer. “So, she would through me some kind of party right, or is the greeting just a handshake and a tour of the town?”

Fluttershy chuckled. “Well, It depends.” The two of them started walking to the library again. “When Twilight came to town, she threw a party with over a dozen ponies.” Fluttershy paused when an orange Pegasus filly sped by on her scooter. The kid looked back at Seeker in surprise before disappearing around a corner. “But most of the time,” Fluttershy continued. “She just plays a tune on her one-pony-band machine, and throws confetti in the air.”

This time, it was Seekers turn to laugh. “Okay, okay, go ahead and tell her, just, make sure she waits until I've finished my business with Twilight okay.”

“Uh S-Sure, no problem.”

Seeker thought that Fluttershy hadn't sounded very confident in that last statement, but, then again she hadn't sounded confident the entire time he had been talking to her. He looked up and saw that they were approaching a building that had been built into a giant tree.

"Here we are!" Fluttershy said as they approached the library. "Twilight should be inside."

She knocked on the door, and a few minutes later a purple Unicorn answered. “Hey Fluttershy, what are you, doing...” Her expression changed from happiness to a mix of confusion and concern when she saw Seeker. “Fluttershy, Who's this?”

Fluttershy had opened her mouth to speak, but before she could get a word out, Seeker began introducing himself.

“Twilight Sparkle, my name is Seeker de Anon, and I believe you may be able to help me.”

“Oh, really?” Twilight replied skeptically. “And what makes you think that, actually no, how do you even know who I am?”

Once more Fluttershy tried to speak up but again she was interrupted by the Gryphon.

“Your friend Zecora told me about you.”

Seeker pulled the zebras note out his bag and handed it to Twilight who began reading.

“Twilight Sparkle the Gryphon you see, was saved from dire plight by me.”

“His words are honest and his intentions noble.”

“So help him please if you are able.”

“And just to prove no one is pulling your leg.”

“I still remember that Parasprite plague.”

“Alright,” Twilight said after she had finished reading. “there’s no way you could have known about the parasprite incident, and if Zecora trust's you, then so do I.”

“Excellent.” Seeker said smiling. “Now,” He held up his arm to show Twilight the bracelet artifact. “I think this little trinket may interest you.”


“Ah, no, where's...” A entire shelf of books suddenly began floating in the air. “Let's see, C.A, C.H, Ahh dang it spike, I had these ordered by subject not...”

While Fluttershy simply had an expression of curiosity on her face as she watched her friend run around the library in frustration, Seeker could barely contain his laughter as he was reminded of himself back when he was a student at the university.

“Ah hah!” Twilight yelled in triumph when she finally discovered the book she had been looking for. She trotted back over to the table and placed the old tome next to Seeker's bracelet.

“Ancient Equestria, Vol. 3, Discordian rule.”

“Discordian?” Seeker questioned “You mean Discord, the ancient Draquonius Sorcerer who ended the first war between ponies and gryphons, and then conquered Equestria?”

“Yes, but Discord isn't a sorcerer, he's a god.”

Seeker rolled his eyes at the ponies words. Not many Gryphons believed in gods. They could accept magic as a natural force of the universe like gravity or magnetism, and they even had stories of what the afterlife would be like, but the idea of gods had never appeared in the Gryphon culture, and so beings like Discord, Celestia, & Luna were recorded in their history as exceptionally powerful magic users.

“Let's just agree to disagree, Okay?”

Twilight thought for a moment then answered. "Okay.”

She opened the book to about it's mid-section when it showed a picture of a stone tablet covered in an illegible script. “This is Discordian, the language Discord forced the ponies to use when ruled Equestria, Look familiar.”

Seeker's eye's grew wide as he realized the text in the book matched that text on his bracelet. “No, It can't be.” He said in awe.

“But it is.” Twilight replied smugly. “You see, back then, magic was a lot more powerful, it was more free, more primal, more...”

“Chaotic?” Seeker suggested.

“Exactly! Discord was said to have used this primal magic to open doors across time, and even to other worlds!”

“Doors to other worlds... But, why, what did he do?”

“Anything that entertained him.” Twilight replied. “And one of the things that entertained him most, was bringing beings from other worlds into Equestria.”

Seeker couldn't believe what he was hearing, he knew that magic must have had something to do with his creation. He had even considered the possibility that he might have once been someone else entirely, but, to actually hear it confirmed...

“Twilight,” He asked. “what exactly does the bracelet say?”

“I don't know.” She sighed. “I can translate it, but it would take some time.”

“Do it!” Seeker yelled suddenly. “Please, I can pay you.”

“Whoa, don't worry about, I'd be happy to help you, free of charge.”

A look of relief swept over the Gryphons face. “Twilight Sparkle, you are too kind.”

She smiled and said. “You're welcome Seeker, but really it's no trouble.”

Twilight went to work immediately, Seeker wanted to stay, but he knew from his own experience that ancient languages could take days to decipher.

“Is, there an inn in town?” He asked.

Without looking up, Twilight replied. “Not here in Ponyville, but there is one in Cloudsdale.”

“Cloudsdale?”

“Oh, It's the city of the Pegasi.” Fluttershy said. “It's made entirely of clouds and maintains a course around Ponyville.”

“Exactly,” Twilight jumped in. “It has a flight circumference of about 10 miles, and maintains an altitude of around 6,000 feet above sea level. Don't worry about finding an intercept point though, just fly up and in the opposite direction of the Sun till you see the city.”

“Up, and in the opposite direction of the sun for about 5 miles, got it.”

Seeker picked up his bag then took one last look at his bracelet before leaving the library. After Seeker had left Twilight turned to Fluttershy to ask her a question that had entered her mind the moment she saw her with the Gryphon. “So, how exactly did you meet him?”

Fluttershy turned and coked her head at Twilight. “What do you mean.”

“I mean, did he intimidate and bully you into bringing him here, and do I need to call up everyone else to get rid of him.”

Fluttershy gasped. “Twilight, no of course not, you saw for yourself how nice he was, and you read Zecoras note!”

Twilight sighed. “True, but after how dangerous Gilda proved herself to be, I don't want to take any chances with this Gryphon.” She turned back to the bracelet and the book. “Still, this artifact is interesting, I think I'll just look at for a few more minutes before I go talk to Zecora to confirm that this note is hers.”

Fluttershy shook her head, she knew that once Twilight accepted a challenge, she wouldn't stop until she had beaten it.

“Oh well.” She thought as she headed out to find Pinkie and tell her about the Gryphon visitor.