• Published 14th Mar 2012
  • 1,771 Views, 22 Comments

A New Perspective - portaljumper339



First attempt at writing Fan Fiction, so constructive criticism is much appreciated

  • ...
5
 22
 1,771

Ch. 8

A New Perspective Ch. 8

It was a slow day at the Ponyville Cantina, the first they had had all week. There were a few of the usual barflies there, sitting in the booth and rambling on about one thing or another, as well as one purple pony with a grape cluster and strawberry cutie mark nursing a bottle of wine at the other end of the bar. Other than that it was just me, sitting on the barstool farthest from the door, staring into my mug.

A week had passed since the incident in the forest, and as far as I knew Fluttershy was still in the hospital. Rainbow had gotten back to the ruins as fast as possible, with Nurse Redheart, half the hospital staff, and the others in tow. Twilight was still walking with a noticeable limp, but she seemed to have gotten a little better.

I had still been cradling Fluttershy, her wounded form pressed against mine, and Redheart had to practically tear her out of my grip. They loaded her onto a stretcher and put her in the back of a hospital wagon, which they had refused me entrance to on the grounds that I was too distraught. What did they know about my mental state, anyway?

I used the walk back to fill in the gaps of what Rainbow had told to Twilight, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, and Rarity, doing my best not to break down in front of them. By the end, even Pinkie had sadness etched onto her face. Still, they could tell that I was hurt by what had happened, and led me back to the cottage instead of to the hospital like I had planned. I spent the better part of four hours that night restoring the cottage, thinking that Fluttershy would be out of the hospital in a few days.

Rainbow visited the cottage the next day to tell me that Fluttershy was probably going to be in the hospital for two or three weeks, and that she hadn't even woken up since the previous night. She tried her best to comfort me, seeing as how she was the only other pony who knew how I felt for Fluttershy, but her words fell on deaf ears. I asked her if there was a bar in town, and she led me to this place.

Which brings me here, staring into a half full mug of cider and wallowing in self-pity, trying to drown out my sorrows.

Taking a sip, I reflected back on all that had happened since I arrived here. Two ponies had been hurt because of me, I had lied to them about what I knew, and had generally screwed up their lives. Everypony I had come into contact with had been harmed in some way, whether directly or indirectly. This whole thing had been one big screw up from the start, and it all came down to me.

No, that wasn't true. Part of this was that cult leader's fault. He's the one who brought me here, HE'S the one who contacted me, goading me towards him.

No, THAT wasn't true either. Ultimately, this was my own fault. If I had just listened to my common sense, had ignored his entreaties, none of this would have happened, and Fluttershy would still be alright. She'd still be at home, living a blissful existence and caring for her animals if I had just used my better judgement. But no, I had to play the hero. I had to put the lives of my closest friends in danger for my own selfish reasons. And I now had to pay the price for it.

The frustration welled up inside of me, and it ate away at my insides. It's one thing if something bad happens to a friend, but it's quite another when you were directly involved. My stomach was twisted into knots, and I stared at my mug in contempt. Here I was, avoiding what needed to be done just because of my own stupid self-interest. My anger finally coming to a head, I whipped the mug at the wall beside me. It smashed to pieces against it, and cider and glass fragments went everywhere. The ponies in the booth turned and looked, but went back to their conversation almost as quickly. The purple pony, on the other hoof, looked over so fast that she lost her balance and fell off of her barstool.

The bartender walked over to me, a scowl on his face. "I hope you're gonna pay for that," he growled. "Otherwise, we might have a problem."

I pulled out my wallet, only to find that I had barely any money left. I hadn't gone to work all week, and my finances were beginning to show it. I had to find some way to pay for the mug and the cider, but it became increasingly obvious that I might have to work it off. Oh well, it would give me something to take my mind off of my pain and misery.

"Don't worry, I'll cover it," came a voice from behind me as eight bits clattered onto the counter. Turning around I found Rainbow Dash, in her weather team vest and clicking her coin purse shut. Didn't think she even owned a purse, coin or otherwise.

"Rainbow, what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be at work?"

"I finished up early, which is quite the accomplishment seeing as how I've been having to cover for you all week."

"Oh... right."

"Anyway, I just got back from the library, and I have good news and possible bad news, depending on how you look at it. Which do you wanna hear first?"

"Uh, the bad news." Please, PLEASE don't let this be about what I think it's going to be about.

"Okay, but it would be better if I told you outside. I don't want to make a scene."

Hoo boy, this was going to be a scorcher.

We walked out to the parking lot together, away from the street so nopony would overhear us.

"So, what is this 'possible bad news'?"

"Well, Twilight just got a letter from Celestia and Luna, and the five of us that represent the Elements of Harmony, that being myself, Twilight, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie, have been summoned to the castle in Canterlot."

"So how is that bad news for me?"

"You've been summoned, too. We don't know why, but the princesses want to see you as well. Twilight's said some things about you in her letters, so it could just be a meet-n-greet, or it could be more serious."

Well, that was a sucker punch. Of course, who could blame them for wanting to see me? According to Twilight, they are very sensitive to magic because of the fact that they're alicorns, and I had sent up the equivalent of a magical homing beacon. I'm surprised it took them this long, actually.

"And the good news?"

"I went to the hospital to check up on Fluttershy before I went to the library, and... she's awake."

I didn't even respond to her. I simply flapped my wings and took off, going as fast as I could towards Ponyville Urgent Care. I barely noticed Rainbow trying to keep pace behind me, but as far as I was concerned, she wasn't even there. My mind was focused completely on Fluttershy.

I had a lot of things that I needed to say to her.

===============

I landed at Ponyville Urgent Care at a gallop, not slowing down for anything. I would've broken down the doors were it not for an orderly who opened them as I barreled through, needing to jump out of my way to avoid being trampled.

I ran up to the front desk, drawing a few stares from the ponies in the waiting room. One of the nurses from the ruins was at the desk, and she must have recognized me judging by how her face grew slightly darker.

"Oh, sir, it's good to see you. We were just abou-"

"What room is Fluttershy in?" I interrupted, not wanting to bother with the formalities."

"Sir, if you could just take a seat, I'm sure-"

"WHAT ROOM!?"

"Uh, 1-730 I think," she stammered out.

"Thanks," I said before galloping down the hall. There would be time to apologize later. I charged down the halls past nurses and doctors, all thoroughly confused as to who this pegasus was that was in such a hurry.

Let them be confused, I have a friend I need to talk to.

I only gave passing glances at the signs on the doors, just long enough to see the numbers without having to slow down. 1-724, 1-726, 1-728...

I practically screeched to a halt at the door to room 1-730, giving Rainbow a good minute or two to catch up. Despite my haste, my bravado, my need to go in that room, I just couldn't bring myself to do so. It wasn't that I was afraid of what she would look like, covered in bandages and probably hooked to an IV drip.

No, it was what she would think of me. I had led her to her near demise, had torn her away from the quiet life that she knew. A pony can't do that to you and you not feel a little vindictive towards them. She had plenty of reasons to hate me right now, and all of them perfectly justifiable.

"Well, aren't you going to go in, he-with-all-the-patience-of-a-boiling-tea-kettle?" asked Rainbow between breaths, trying to recuperate after chasing me down.

"I... I don't think I can," I answered, not taking my eyes off the door. "What will she say? Will she be angry? Forgiving? Will she even want to speak to me ever again?"

"Man, what the hay are you talking about? If it weren't for you, she'd probably be dead right now, and not to mention me as well. You'll be fine."

"I don't know Rainbow. I don't think I could handle her being mad at me, not over this. Sneaking out to see Twilight is one thing, but I almost got her killed!"

"Look," said Rainbow, taking my face in her hooves, "it'll be alright. Trust me, she isn't mad. She was actually asking if you had tried to visit her while she was comatose, and was a little disheartened when she heard that you had spent the week in a sleazy bar."

"Really?"

"Really. Now get in there," she said, pushing the door open. "Hey Fluttershy, you have a visitor!" she called as she shoved me over the threshold and slammed the door behind me.

Her hospital room was actually quite roomy, or it would've been were it not for all of the get well cards, balloons, and bouquets that were littering the place. Through the clutter I saw the bed, and the figure laying in it. My heart caught in my throat, tears welling up in my eyes.

Fluttershy was laying down, maybe trying to get some rest. She was swaddled in bandages and hooked up to an EKG monitor, an IV in her left foreleg was dripping some sort of clear solution into her veins. It was the most humbling sight I had ever seen, and did nothing to improve my demeanor. I hesitantly shuffled over to the bed, brushing past balloons and cards while trying not to make a sound.

Drawing up next to her bed, I could see that there was at least one thing to be thankful for. As far as I could tell, her face had been left untouched by whatever arcane torment had unleashed itself on the rest of her body. She seemed almost at peace, eyes shut in a dreamless sleep, one that could bring true rest. I gave her the gentlest of nudges with my forehead, meant more as a sign of affection than anything, but it was enough to rouse her from her sleep.

Sleepily, she opened her eyes and looked up at me. Smiling weakly she said, "Hey Evan."

"Hey sleepyhead. A little birdie told me that you had woken up, and I wanted to see for myself," I quipped, again using humor to mask my suffering. "How are you feeling?"

"A lot better now that you're here. I was wondering when you were going to drop by. How about you?"

"Well, I've been better. Severe depression isn't as cracked up as everypony makes it out to be."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, as Rainbow undoubtedly told you when she visited, I've been drowning my problems in cider, or at least trying to. It takes my mind off of the fact that I nearly got you and Rainbow killed."

"Evan, you don't have anything to be ashamed about. It wasn't your fault."

"Oh, but it was. If I had just listened to that little voice in my head that says 'No, don't do this', then we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. We'd be at the cottage, living a happy little pastoral life. It's my fault that you're in this mess."

"It's nopony's fault but that unicorn at the ruins'. You were following what he told you, so you were just as much the victim as I was."

"Then explain why he turned his hatred on you rather than me? I was the prominent threat, not you. You had nothing to do with this."

"Evan, it doesn't matter why he did this, all that matters is what you make of it. You can either choose to wallow in depression, or you can get past it and do something about it."

"Good grief, why do you have to be so nice?" I asked in frustration, placing my head in my hooves. "Can't you feel even the slightest bit of anger at the fact that I almost got you KILLED!?"

"No, I can't," she answered, sitting up in her bed, a small smile appearing. "Call it crazy, but I simply can't find fault with what happened, or anything that you've done wrong since you got here."

"Why? What is it with you? I mean, I know you're the Element of Kindness, but I'd be royally P.O.'ed by this point. I've lied to you, Rainbow, and everypony else I've met, gotten the cottage ransacked and Twilight tortured, and put you and Rainbow in harm's way for myself. Why can't you HATE ME!?" The tears I had been barely holding back flowed out, and I put my head down on the bed, trying to drown out my own tortured thoughts. "It's all that I deserve," I managed to choke out.

I felt a hoof running through my mane, and I lifted my eyes to find Fluttershy gently stroking the top of my head. She still had that slight smile on her face, and I suddenly felt like I was five years old again.

Then it happened, a moment I had been anticipating with both abject terror and sheer joy. A moment that had inhabited my dreams, yet seemed more terrifying than the worst nightmare.

She kissed me.

Lifting my face so that it was level with hers, she kissed me. It wasn't a long one, but it seemed like it lasted forever. Her soft, warm lips pressed against mine, we melted into each other, neither wanting this fleeting moment of peace amidst a storm of uncertainty to end. The world came to a standstill as we sat there in each other's embrace.

When we separated I was filled with a new sort of vigor. Any lingering doubts on the seriousness of our relationship were thrown out the window, and my outlook on life changed in about a picosecond. She loved me!

"That's why. Do you think you deserved that?" she asked, my face still in her hooves.

"Nope, but it still felt good. Thanks, for everything. And sorry for being a bit of a drama queen."

"You're quite welcome, and don't be. You were distraught, and you weren't thinking straight. It could've happened to anypony."

"I guess so. Still though, thanks. Now, if you'll excuse me," I said, rising to my hooves, "I have to go and tell everypony in town the good news. Gossip won't spread without a source, or so I've been told."

With a giggle, she waved as I walked out into the hall, a new spring in my step. I felt like singing to the world. I bet even Pinkie Pie couldn't beat me in a happiness contest right about now.

I trotted out into the waiting room to find Rainbow Dash reading some sort of sports magazine. She looked up, her pink eyes filled with worry. Worry which evaporated like an ice cube in July when she saw the smile on my face.

"It went well, I assume," she said.

"Try the best 15 minutes I've ever spent in a hospital. She kissed me!"

"No way!?" she said, eyes as wide as dinner plates.

"Yeah way! She loves me! SHE LOVES ME!!" I was so overjoyed that I started bouncing in a very Pinkie Pie-esque way. It may have been as out of place in a hospital as a clown in a cemetery, but social morays are for those who aren't in love.

"Now aren't you glad I shoved you in there?" asked Rainbow, putting her magazine back and making to leave.

"I'm as happy as a clam. At least before you rip the poor blighters out of their shells and dip them in sauce."

Rainbow gave a hearty chuckle at my lame joke, caught up as she was in the moment. "Anyway, I'm happy for you. You wouldn't happen to know what time it is, would you?"

Looking over at the nearby wall clock, I said, "About 2:30, why?"

"Oh hay, we were supposed to be at the library half an hour ago! We're all meeting the princesses there to be taken to the castle!"

"Well, lead on you crazy diamond."

===============

We got to the library in 10 minutes thanks to the breakneck pace we maintained, and saw the others waiting outside. While Pinkie was her same usual, bubbly self, Rarity, Applejack, and Twilight seemed a bit out of sorts. We landed with enough noise to draw their attention, and they came galloping over.

"Finally," exclaimed Twilight, more than a bit annoyed. "Where were you two?"

"We dropped by the hospital to see how Fluttershy's doing," offered Rainbow Dash.

"Well, y'all couldn't have cut it any closer if you'd tried," added Applejack. "Here come the princesses now!"

"Where, I don't see a carriage," I asked, looking down the various roads leading to the library.

"Not there, silly," said Pinkie, grabbing my head and tilting it skyward. "There!"

And sure enough, there were two sky bound chariots coming right at us, one white and gold, the other black and midnight blue. In between the two was a large round carriage that looked as if it could fit all six of us quite comfortably, and all three were being pulled by armor clad pegasi. A brief fanfare announced their arrival, just to be sure everypony knew.

The chariots landed softly, and two mares I could only assume were the princesses disembarked. The taller of the two was a true picture of royalty, with a flowing rainbow mane that moved on it's own and a golden tiara, with horseshoes and a breastplate to match. The smaller (and probably the younger) had just as much regal beauty, with a mane of shimmering stars and a tiara and armor of deep navy blue.

"Psst!" hissed Rainbow Dash as she elbowed me in the side. Looking down, I noticed that she and the others were all bowing in reverence. Oops. I hastily got down on one knee and averted my eyes, praying that they hadn't noticed.

"Please, there's no need for the formalities. We have much to discuss and little time to do so."

We all got to our hooves, and found the white alicorn (who I'm assuming is Celestia) standing over us, her expression grim. Luna followed closely behind, and didn't look any better.

"Princesses, it's good to see you again," said Twilight with a bow of the head.

"We only wish the feeling were mutual," said Luna. "Unfortunately, I fear that we bring bad tidings."

"What do you mean?"

"We would explain, but it is too easy to be overheard here. I'm afraid it will have to wait until we are back at the castle."

"Whatever you say," said Twilight, motioning for all if us to follow her to the carriage. I was just about to step on when I felt a hoof on my shoulder. I turned to find Celestia stopping me.

"Not you. I apologize, but I would like to speak to you personally."

"Oh, um, of course your majesty."

"Please, call me Celestia," she said, leading me over to her chariot. Perfect, now she's getting chummy. Luna was already on board, her chariot having long since departed. A cold sweat broke out on my brow, and it was all I could do to maintain my composure.

Whatever this was about, I doubt that it was good. I'm not nearly as well-versed in the ways of magic as Twilight, but I think they knew that I was the one who sent up that bolt of energy in the forest. Gulp.

The carriage took off before we did, probably to ensure that the others wouldn't hear us. With a stamp of Celestia's hoof the guards rocketed into the sky. My stomach felt like it had left my body and only realized it when the rest of me was some sixty feet away. Quite the discomforting feeling, mind you, and not doing anything to help my frazzled nerves.

"So," I offered, trying to drum up a conversation, "What's up?"

"Oh, nothing much. I simply wanted to get a chance to know you better. Twilight has said quite a bit about you in her letters, so I thought it would be nice to meet the stallion in question personally." She seemed purposely evasive, so I thought I'd press the issue a little.

"Well, it really is an honor to meet ponies of your stature in society. Not everyday you meet the rulers of an entire country. But, if I could be so blunt, what exactly is this whole thing about? I mean, Rainbow Dash told me you specifically needed the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, so I doubt that this is a simple meet and greet."

Luna looked nervously at Celestia and asked, "Do you want me to tell him, or should you?" Uh oh.

"Hmm... you. You tend to have a calming effect on ponies, something that has always eluded my grasp."

"Especially since you caught me up on Equestrian culture and dialect after the fiasco at the last Nightmare Night."

"Well, it was a little remiss of me to not have you tutored after you came back."

"A LITTLE remiss? It was a public relations disaster in Ponyville, one that was only fixed in the nick of time by your student. Were it not for her, the whole thi-"

"Uh, sorry to interrupt," I interjected, "but you had something you needed to tell me?"

"Oh, right. Sorry that I got off on that tangent. Anyway, this news really is more for the bearers of the elements than anypony, but you seem trustworthy enough, and you know all of the bearers personally, so they no doubt would have told you. A week ago, my sister and I felt a strong magical presence come erupting out of Everfree Forest, one that we had not felt since before my..."

"Banishment?" I supplied, my voice cracking slightly at the revelation.

"Right... that," she muttered, looking at her hooves.

"Oh, Luna, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up."

"No, it's alright. It's simply another part of history. One that I might have had a more direct involvement with, but history nonetheless. Think nothing of it."

"Right. So, you were saying?"

"Anyway, we would have contacted the bearers sooner, but there were matters of great importance that needed to be dealt with in the government so as not to cause a panic. Some of our more magically attuned unicorns in Canterlot felt the onrush of magic and demanded an audience with us, wondering what it meant."

"We managed to assuage most of their fears, but the sheer number of ponies was what kept us so busy. You would not believe how quickly news spreads of magical happenings in this city. We only managed to get the courier out yesterday, and he was the fastest that we had."

"Ah." Well, pony-feathers. This is exactly what I was afraid of. Can't say I didn't see this coming at least. But now how do I keep the others from mentioning my involvement with out the princesses knowing? The last thing I want is to be dragged into Equestrian politics or whatever that unicorn is planning. Or what the princesses might have planned.

"Hold on, you mentioned that you had felt something like this before. From what I understand, magical beacons aren't all that common, so do you have any idea what may have caused this?"

"How'd you know that it was a magical beacon?"

Horse-apples, me and my big fat cake socket. Gotta think, think think think!

"Uh, Twilight told me." Yeah, that would hold. "Being one of the most magical unicorns in Equestria, she picked it up really easily, and then told the rest of us about it." Good, good.

"I see," replied Luna, eyeing me suspiciously. "Well, it was good of Twilight to tell you. She must really count you among her good friends. Oh, there's the city now," she added pointing with her hoof. I followed her hoof with my eyes.

If I were walking, I would have tripped over my own jaw with the sheer amount of awe that was throttling my brain.

Before us stood the capitol city of Canterlot, in all of it's resplendent glory. Almost every building was decked out with gold or purple design, and the curved marble architecture espoused a feeling of grandness. One structure stood out above all the rest, and I could make a pretty educated guess as to its purpose.

I let out a low, sliding whistle, like the type you would emit if you were passing by a road accident. "Wow. Just, wow," I stuttered out, my brain still grasping at what I was seeing.

"Yes, it is beautiful, isn't it?" said Celestia, not taking her eyes off of the sky.

"That's one way to put it, I suppose. Another would be retina-burningly glorious, but I guess that's a matter of opinion."

"Indeed it is. My view on the place may be dampened by having lived here a thousand and some odd years, but it is beautiful no matter which way you look at it. We'll be landing in the castle courtyard over there," she said, gesturing over to the flat expanse within the outer walls of the really big structure.

The chariot ground to a halt with an accompanying whinny from the guards at the front. I leaped down from the chariot to find the others milling about. Pinkie was the first to notice our arrival, and signaled it with a big ol' wave and a smile that could barely fit on her face. Typical Pinkie Pie.

Applejack walked over to greet us. "Well, it's about time y'all got here. Was the flight alright?"

"It was fine," answered Luna. "It was very... informative," she added, looking at me mischievously, a sly smirk on her lips.

"...Alright then," said AJ, suspicious eyes flicking between me and Luna. "Anyways, what say we get this show on the road, hmm?"

"Certainly," answered Celestia, rearing up to her full regal height. "Everypony assembled," she said loudly enough so that the others could hear, "We are to go to the Canterlot Parliamentary House held within these very walls to meet before the Equestrian Senate."

"I thought you and Celestia ran the show around here. What gives?" I muttered to Luna, everypony else watching Celestia.

"Well, that's what I assumed, but apparently we became a constitutional monarchy a few hundred years ago. Sister and I are still heavily involved in ruling the country, but we share it with the senate."

"This will be a new experience for all of you," Celestia continued, "but do not worry. As the bearers of the Elements of Harmony, you hold almost as much sway in the senate that Luna and I hold, and will be treated with the deference that is due your position. Now follow me, there is much that needs to be discussed." She took off at a brisk pace towards the castle doors, but we all managed to keep up.

The doors to the Parliament House swung open with a dull creak, and everywhere I looked there were ponies of every type seated in the gallery. Pegasi, Unicorns, and Earth Ponies jammed in there like sardines, all dressed to the nines and talking quietly amongst themselves. The pony I could only assume was the prime minister, or whatever the highest governmental position was, was seated at the far end of the room.

A hush fell on the room as everypony turned to look at us. A cold sweat broke out on my brow, and panic started setting in. To everypony else, I was just a random pegasus in a stupid coat. The fact that I was in the company if the rulers of Equestria and five of the six bearers of the Elements of Harmony did nothing to calm my screaming mind.

"Ah, Celestia, good of you to come on such short notice," said the stallion at the other end of the room. Gesturing to the gathered ponies, he added, "Now that our beloved regents and the Bearers are here, we can begin. As we are all very much aware, a great distur- Celestia," he said, interrupting himself, "if I could be so bold, but who is the stallion standing next to your sister? I don't recognize him.

"Oh, where are my manners? Mr. Prime Minister, this is Evan. He is here as my personal guest, and would ask that you treat him as such." She added a small reassuring wink and a smile to me. I need to remember to thank her later.

"Very well then. Evan, if you and the six Bearers of the Elements would take your sea- wait, one of the Bearers is missing! Where is the Element of Kindness?"

A murmur broke out in the crowd, obviously disquieted by the absence of one of the six Elements. Celestia was about to answer when I jumped in.

"Mr. Prime Minister, if you mean Flutershy, she is currently hospitalized at Ponyville Urgent Care, and will be for the next two weeks or so."

"Well, do you happen to know what happened to her? We could certainly use her guidance and insight in this matter. Oh, this is simply dreadful. The proceedings are going to take much longer without her."

"Sir," I said, keeping an even tone, "from what I can tell it was severe burns on most of her body. I'd be happy to fill in for her, if that's alright."

"Very well then, take your seat." I sat in the chair between Rainbow Dash and Rarity, Rainbow offering a consoling smile.

I felt a hoof on my shoulder, and turned to find Rarity giving me a pat on the back.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay, dear? You took what happened pretty hard, and you're as pale as a sheet."

"I'll be fine," I answered, offering a brief smile.

"Just remember, we're all here for you, through thick and thin."

"Thanks Rarity. You really know how to help a pony back to his feet."

"That's what I'm here for, darling," she replied, turning back to the proceedings.

"Now, as I was saying," continued the Prime Minister, "there has been a great disturbance in our land. Last week, a large magical force was detected coming out of the Everfree Forest. While our most gracious princesses have assured us that all is well, I convened this meeting of the Equestrian Senate to decide on whether or not to investigate the matter. Now, I would allow the pegasus contingent from Appleoosa to speak on the matter..."

And that's how it went for eight... bucking... hours! Each of the three types from every town and municipality and city in Equestria going on a half hour rant about the merits of exploration and all those horse-apples. By the end, only Twilight was still paying attention, being the sickeningly wholesome nerd that she is. Even Pinkie was sound asleep, and I was barely managing to hold my eyes open. Only a couple of times did they actually ask for our opinion, and that was early in the proceedings. Lord, I despise government bureaucracy.

My patience was hanging by a thread, and I was surprised that I hadn't simply gotten up and left by now. I had no business being here, and I couldn't even decipher half of the buzzwords that they were using. I should be out there looking for that unicorn, for Fluttershy's would-be murderer. But here I was, thoroughly entangled in the political machine.

"What I really wish to know is what exactly caused this magical catastrophe," piped up a pegasus from Ponyville. I had finally had enough, and I was ready to put in my two bits.

"You want to know what happened?" I asked, rising from my chair. "You REALLY want to know?"

"Evan, what are you doing?" hissed Rainbow Dash, who had been roused from her sleep by my outburst.

"Don't worry, I've got a plan."

"I beg your pardon, but what could you possibly know about this?" asked the Prime Minister, obviously taken aback by my breach of etiquette.

"Oh, do you want the alphabetical or chronological listing on what I know about this? Well, for starters, I know who caused this, and their intent on doing this."

"Well, tell us!" Everypony was on the edge of there seats, staring hard at me. Showtime.

"I was in the Everfree Forest last week, along with Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. We were traveling to the ruins of the Castle of the Royal Pony Sisters for some archeological research. When we arrived there, we encountered a cult. They captured my two companions and myself, and their leader told me that they were trying to bring about a new world. He claimed that sacrifices had to be made, and a ring of unicorns proceeded to channel their magic into some sort of killing spell, which they were going to use on Rainbow and Fluttershy."

Everypony watched me with rapt attention, and a few of the mares covered their mouths in shock when they heard about the killing spell.

"I'm not quite sure what happened next, but I felt energy surge through my body, shattering the shackles holding me to the ground. I took their leader head on, but it was too late. The ring had started the spell, and Fluttershy was to be their first victim. He disappeared into a cloud of smoke, and I flew to get Fluttershy out of the spell." I was barely holding myself together, all of the old thoughts and sadness welling back up during my recitation.

"Its hateful energies turned on me, but instead of harming me, they built up inside of me, until they exploded out in the magical beacon that the more magically equipped of you picked up last week."

Everypony was shocked at this revelation, and even the princesses looked thoroughly horrified. A few ponies even fainted.

"What about Fluttershy?" asked an earth pony from the Fillydelphia side of the room. "What happened to her?"

"After the energies died down, I found a room charred with magical energies and all the cultists conveniently missing. I untied Rainbow, who then went to check on Fluttershy. I went to see and she... she..." My voice cracked, and I barely managed to say through my thickening voice, "She's not here today because of me." Here it comes.

I collapsed to my knees, right there in front of the entire senate, and cried. Rarity ran over to me, laying a hoof around my back and held me, trying to calm me down. I let the tears flow freely, damn what the senate thought.

I heard sniffles in the crowd, and could see some of the representatives, even the stallions, shedding a few tears for me. The Prime Minister, however, seemed just as stuffy and stoic as ever.

"That... that was impressive. That you would sacrifice yourself for a friend is something to be commended. Unfortunately, as you are now obviously a threat to this insane and wicked cult, I am afraid that I have no options here. I move to banish Evan from Equestria, in perpetuity throughout our great land, until such a time as this situation has been remedied and the cult dealt with."

Wait, WHAT!?!?