• Published 21st Dec 2013
  • 297 Views, 6 Comments

Pick Up Your Pencil - Nova of Silver Skies



Nova Sketches is out of luck. A struggling artist, out of ideas, he gets an unexpected source of help.

  • ...
 6
 297

Chapter 1

Luna had sensed the stallion's unease, and decided to find what was troubling him.

She closed her eyes, her essence connecting with the unicorn's consciousness. Luna had heard of this stallion before. What was his name again? Ah, she remembered. Nova Sketches. The artist.

Once he was fully asleep, she walked into his dream. She sensed that he was aware of her presence.

"Princess Luna? Are you here?" He walked around the dark clearing, horn aglow, looking for any signs of the Princess of the Night. Her suspicions had been confirmed.

"Nova Sketches." She walked out from behind the bush. He bowed, eyes wide.

"Your Highness. Why are you here?"

"As I was stargazing, I noticed you were in distress. I thought I could be of assistance."

"No, no, no, Princess. Don't trouble yourself with me. It's minor, really. Just a little conflict."

"Is that so?" The alicorn walked to his side. "You still seem on edge about something." She noticed the dark rings under his eyes. He must have been up all night by the looks of it.

"It's... nerves. Yes. It's nerves." Sweat beaded on the stallions forehead. He didn't like these kinds of situations. Luna eyed him warily, but there was concern mixed in. Nova sighed.

"I'm out of ideas."

Luna furrowed her brow. "Whatever do you mean?"

"I have artist's block. I have a big project due for Mayor Mare in a week and I haven't been able to start it. I'm just so stressed and-" Luna cut the worried stallion off. "Hush. Relax. I think I can help you. Walk with me."

Nova was surprised as his tension was released while he walked. It was never that easy for him to do that when he was awake. "But how, Princess?"

The mare looked down at him with kind eyes. "Follow your dreams."

He stopped in his tracks. "Wait... what?"

"Follow your dreams."

"Um..." Nova was at a loss for words. He had heard the saying before, but never in this context. Suddenly, his vision began to cloud over.

"What's happening?"

"You're waking up." Luna's image began to warp and ripple.

"But I don't understand yet!"

"I shall explain later! But now, you must awake!"

Nova woke up with a jolt, breathing heavily.