• Published 14th Dec 2013
  • 1,718 Views, 28 Comments

Wings of Darkness - Strange Charm



Scootaloo, unable to bear the shame of being a flightless pegasus, is offered a dark magic to cure her wings.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,718

Chapter 3

Author's Note:

Sorry about the delay! (Stupid school, stupid January finals, etc.) But hey! It's here! Chapter 3.

The shadow completely enveloped Scootaloo like a blanket. It was warm, but also cold, like a fire made of icy shadow. The feeling didn't really make sense to Scootaloo. It swirled around her and formed a ball-like shape, so that all Scootaloo could see was the shadow. "This shadow is only a small fraction of my power," whispered the voice, more solid sounding and less echoey, "so it will not overwhelm you with power when we merge." Scootaloo was confused. Merge? What was the voice talking about? All she wanted was wings.

"What do you mean?" asked Scootaloo. "I thought I was getting wings out of this."

"Oh, and you are," said the voice. "But my magic will keep your new wings from disappearing, so my power must be with you always to keep them solid. Do you understand?"

Scootaloo was still very confused. "No...not really."

The voice's tone flared in annoyance. "Your wings will be made of shadow. Without my magic they will simply disappear under the light of day." The voice calmed down and returned to its more soothing tone. "I will be with you, in the back of your mind, at all times. I will protect not only your wings but also you from harm; not even that wretched sunlight will destroy them."

Scootaloo tried to process all this information. There would be a voice living inside of her? Always? Weird. But if it meant wings... There was still one thing that bothered her, though. "Shadow? My wings will be made of shadow? Won't that look...strange?"

"No," the voice scoffed. "If my magic can protect your wings from the sun, it can also make them look like normal wings. Have a little faith in Nightm-" the voice cut off its sentence. "I mean, have a little faith in your dear Miss Moon."

"You can make shadow look like flesh- er, feathers and blood? Cool! And so your name is Miss Moon...I thought you sounded feminine."

"Mmmm...Let's get started then." The shadow pressed closer to Scootaloo and it swirled faster and faster, spiraling until it was just a blur. The air pressure seemed to increase and push against Scootaloo's body. It pressed harder and harder, until she thought it couldn't get any closer. But it just kept pushing and spiraling, harder and harder against her skin. It pressed and pressed, becoming more and more tangible and less like a shadow. The shadow began to create wind currents from its movement, and as it moved faster it created an ever-increasing sound. It condensed itself until it was a swirling, swooshing mass that was a thin coat of shadow surrounding Scootaloo's body. The sound had been getting steadily louder and was now almost unbearable, like the wind of a hurricane. The shadow was now as solid as could be, and far away from the intangible shadow it was a few moments ago.

Suddenly, everything stopped. It was eerily still, and the silence of the night filled Scootaloo's ears in sharp contrast to the loud wooshing she had just heard. She still couldn't see anything but the shadow, though, because it covered every bit of her skin in a tightly-fitting and extremely hard armor-like shape. Scootaloo tried to open her mouth to speak, but found that she couldn't; the 'armor' was too tight for her to move her mouth. Instead, all that came out was a "Mmmmphh!"

As if in response to Scootaloo's protests, the shadow did something very unexpected. It melted into Scootaloo's fur and skin. The hard shadow seemed to melt like ice and push inside Scootaloo, passing through her skin and into her body. The feeling was strange enough, but when the shadow passed through her eyes and ears, Scootaloo screamed. She hadn't meant to, because she trusted Miss Moon, but the shadow blocked out her sight and hearing entirely, and that was on top of all the other strange things happening. It was too much for her to handle. "Shh...," reassured the shadow. "I won't hurt you..." The comfort did nothing, because just then Scootaloo blacked out.

The shadow, now entirely inside of Scootaloo, laughed evilly, "...yet."

==========================================

Scootaloo woke up outside. The sun was shining brightly into her eyes, making her squint. She was collapsed in a rather unflattering pose, with her face in the ground and her rear in the air. She shook her head and spit out a clump of dirt. She sat up normally. What was she doing passed out on the ground again? It must have happened last night when...

Scootaloo remembered the previous night. Despite all the strange things, all she could think to say was, "Well, that happened."

She gasped. Yes, yes! that really happened. Which means... Scootaloo held her breath. She turned her head slowly. Taking each moment in, she flexed her wings. She spread them out fully, and laughed out loud. There they were: real, normal pegasus wings. They had secondary feathers and primary feathers. Flight feathers. There wasn't a speck of down in sight. They weren't too big and they weren't too small. They were just right. They were perfect.

Scootaloo gave them a test flap. They felt much, much stronger than her old wings had. There was definitely more muscle. She grinned. Only one thing to do now...

She raised her wings as high as she could, then pulled down with all the strength she had. Woosh! In a gust of wind, Scootaloo was lifted off the ground. She was propelled into the air about five feet. She marveled at the sight of the ground whooshing away from her. She was so ecstatic that she forgot to flap her wings again. She crashed back down to earth. Scootaloo didn't care, though, because she was laughing joyfully, sprawled out on the ground. "I-I can fly!" she said. She giggled like a little filly does. "I can fly!" she said again. "I CAN FLY!" she yelled with all her might. She giggled as she looked at her wings again. They were so perfect.

"Do you like them?" Scootaloo heard Miss Moon and jumped. She looked around, but saw no shadows that were swirling and moving.

"Where are you?" asked Scootaloo. She still didn't see anything that looked like Miss Moon, though. The only moving shadow was her own. Then it occurred to her. "Hmm...," Scootaloo thought aloud. "Could you be hiding in my shadow?"

She herd Miss Moon's voice again, "No...," she laughed, "but that is clever. I'll have to use that one sometime." The voice was back to being echoey, like it had been in Scootaloo's dream.

"Then, where...?" asked Scootaloo.

"Don't you remember?" she asked with a hint of venom in her voice.

Scootaloo thought back. "Oh yeah... So, you're inside my head? Uh, that's cool I guess."

"There it is." There was a pause. "You still haven't answered my question, Scootaloo."

"Which one was that again?"

"Do you like your wings?"

Scootaloo blinked. She had already forgotten. They felt so natural on her body. She smiled as she remembered. She gave her wings a gentle flap and felt the powerful muscles beneath the feathers.

"Yes, I like them very much."