• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 333 Views, 11 Comments

And From The Sky Came Fire - AnimalCafe



A mysterious ship has appeared over Canterlot, will the ponies be able to make contact with the strange denizens that reside within?

  • ...
 11
 333

Fourth Kind

Twilight pulled her mug of coffee closer as she poured over her notes in her laboratory. It had been almost two years since they had arrived in Equestria. Twilight could remember each waking second since in excruciating detail.

They had arrived just after the winter wrap up two years ago. Twilight had been riding the Friendship Express back from a visit to her family in Canterlot when she saw the ship for the first time. For a brief moment the beautiful blue sky turned purple, there was a loud crack then there it hung in the sky. Sleek like a shark it hovered over Canterlot. The silvery metal glinted in the sunlight, if it weren't so sinister in nature Twilight could have almost called it beautiful. She knew better now, what they really were. What was inside that ship had caused her and the other resident denizens of Equestria almost non stop torment for two years now. When the aliens had first arrived no pony was ready for the destruction that they brought with them and no pony could have predicted the amount of devastation they could wreak in only the first day that they had arrived in Equestria.

Twilight had watched on in awe alongside the rest of Equestria when first contact was made. The Wonderbolts had assembled quickly, Soarin and two other members gathered beneath the ship only hours after it had appeared. An azure beam of soft light had appeared only feet away from where the crowds had gathered. Two gargantuan figures then descended from the beam. Twilight now knew they had been using some sort of gravity manipulation object not much different than casting a large scale low gravity spell. The monsters had stepped out of the light to reveal their hulking armoured bodies. The creatures stood on two legs that had bending joints similar to ponies but their upper bodies were more akin to the creatures Twilight had lived amongst when she had traversed the Magic Mirror in Equestria, though their “Hands” had some significant differences. Instead of four “fingers” and a “thumb” they had two “thumbs” and two “fingers”. All this knowledge was completely useless to Twilight but their xenobiologist seemed to think that the information was important and was still very invested in her research.

The creatures had strode out into the grassy clearing outside Canterlot the ship had settled over. Twilight remembered the scent of fear hung heavily in the air as the ponies in the crowd began to become fearful of the creatures, even the Wonderbolts were put off by the creatures strange appearance.
Twilight could tell by the way the creatures heads had bobbed up and down as they strode forward they could smell the fear in the air as well. The armour of one of the beasts was a deep amethyst and the other a brilliant crimson. The one clad in crimson had curled up three of its fingers and use the last to sort of point at the Wonderbolts apparently unaware of which pony it should address. Everything went down hill from there. Once the monster dressed in red opened its four mandibles and barked something in an unknown language at the crowd of scared ponies.

Soarin lost his cool at the sight of the mandibles, he shouted an order to the two other Wonderbolts with him and they sprung into action. It had been a noble action though in hindsight Twilight realized it had been a completely futile action. The Wonderbolts had glanced off of the beings as though they had barley even grazed them. At the onset of combat the crowd of ponies quickly dispersed, but Twilight and a couple other ponies had remained to watch in morbid horror the events that unfolded next. Twilight was glad she had stayed, she had gathered vital information that she could use now against them in their fight. Twilight remembered the Wonderbolts had regrouped after the initial assault and had looped around in an attempt at a second attack. The aliens crouched down low to provide the Wonderbolts as little a target as possible and had drawn strange horseshoe shaped objects from their belts. There was a burst of white light from one of the devices and one of the Wonderbolts fell from the sky in a smoking heap. Soarin and the remaining Wonderbolt scattered under the assumption that they were now dealing with magic users. Soarin and his remaining team member acted in unison dive bombing with their back left leg extended in attack formation. The creatures moved with amazing speed for creatures of their size, the monster in blue quickly battered Soarin's team mate to one side there was a sickening crack as all the bones in her body shattered as she was thrown to one side. Almost instantaneously the other monster shot its arm into the air and wrapped its hand around Soarin's neck then brought it only inches away from its own face. Twilight could see the terror in Soarins eyes even though she sat a very safe distance away from the action. The creature had muttered something again in its strange language then bludgeoned its helmeted head into Soarins. They had taken Soarin's body back into the gravity lift. Twilight had no way to know if he were alive or dead, but then again she had more pressing things to worry about. Her research had to come first she needed to find out as much as she could about these creatures. After all wasn’t it HorseShoe who had written “Know your enemy as yourself?”

Shortly after that encounter the ship had moved its placement in the sky. It listed lazily forward until it came to rest over the heart of Canterlot itself. Twilight had watched from the field as light began to gather on the underside of the ship. Twilight remembered realizing what they were intending to do. She had tried to make it back to the city, tried to warm the princess, tried to warn ANY pony. But she couldn’t make it. Before she even had time to think a jolt of super heated plasma spewed out of the bow of the ship then an orb of light blazed from the centre of the city followed by a crippling shock wave. Twilight didn't remember anything after that. All she knew was when she woke up Canterlot was gone, in its place on the mountain sat a mess of glittering black glass. There was absolutely no way any pony could have survived.

The ship had sat in place ever since then. Apparently unwilling, or unable to move. A constant supply of troops had since been deployed all over Equestria, Ponyville had been completely overrun in a matter of hours and Manehatton had dropped completely out of contact Twelve moons ago. Most ponies lived underground now. In sewers or old diamond dog warrens. Twilight had the luxury of her basement laboratory that stretched out under most of Ponyville. Twilight finished her coffee before abandoning her research for the night. The war would still be there tomorrow if she called it a night now.

Twilight left the steel table where she had her work notes spread out inside the square concrete room. She blew out the dim lantern that decorated the wall and enveloped the room in darkness. She trotted down the dismal grey corridors passing a few of the world weary ponies that had taken shelter with her when the assault on Ponyville first began, her facilities were suited to shelter almost one hundred ponies. Unfortunately when Twilight had brought news of what had transpired in Canterlot to Ponyville only a few people had listened to her. Amongst the few who had joined her was Applejack Pinkie, Fluttershy and Rarity. Rainbow had been visiting Cloudsdale during the initial assault and Twilight had suspected the worst.

Twilight was in poor humour that night due to her lack of success at deciphering the latest glyphs that the scouts had found burned into the sides of the ruined buildings.

“Twilight! Twilight! Twilight!” Twilight could hear an excited sounded pony running up from behind her.

“What is it Lyra?” Twilight sighed as she turned to regard their eccentric xenobiologist who was considered as such even by Twilight’s standards. The mint coloured pony's cyan mane was unwashed and tousled, there was a strange look in her eyes that Twilight hadn’t seen in any pony in a while.

“We did it! We'll they did it more like, but at any rate WE did it!” Lyra was almost shaking with excitement.

“Slow down Lyra, what exactly did we do?” Twilight turned to regard the unicorn. Twilight swished her tail in agitation.

“We got one of them! We'll I mean they got one, one of the scout troops AppleJack n' BigMac and a couple of the other ponies managed to capture one!” Twilight's heart skipped a beat. Did Lyra seriously mean they actually captured one of those aliens?

“What did they get Lyra? Tell me what they captured!” Twilight was almost too excited to be annoyed with the pony, she leaned forward intently awaiting Lyra's response.

“They got one of the big ones! One of the aliens with those cool hands!” Twilight was almost taken aback with the amount of excitement Lyra had for the physical appearance of the creatures rather than focusing on how to drive them out of Equestria. After all they had committed genocide on a massive scale...

“We'll it looks like I've got a lot more research to do tonight.” A wry smile spread across Twilight's face. It was time for pay back, and maybe a little research to kill the time.

Author's Note:

Again, constructive criticism is greatly appreciated.