• Published 26th Nov 2013
  • 529 Views, 14 Comments

The Crackle of a Flare - LunarLife



What happens when a Miami resident decides to retire for a while, but one night wakes up in an all too familiar place?

  • ...
4
 14
 529

Chapter 2

Canterlot

11:00 p.m

21 Hours before contact

Deep within the catacombs under Canterlot, behind doors, upon doors, upon doors that were magically sealed, a sickening crack could be heard. That devilish crack could only come from one thing, one thing everypony feared. It could be seen on the back of a stone statue. One could look at that statue and think, "What kind of strange deer-goat-bat-snake hybrid is that?" It could be none other than chaos in its purest form.

"Princess! Princess!" A royal guard in bright golden armor flew straight into the throne room. Celestia seemed to be dozing off on her throne when the guard came running through. She opened one eye and noticed the look on the guard's face. "Your highness, the elements have failed to completely seal away..." he gulped for a second and looked around, "Discord..." Celestia looked unusually concerned, rather than her calm self.

"Then it's only a matter of time before it completely breaks..." the princess muttered to herself, "Continue monitoring the cell." The guard put a hoof to his forehead and galloped out of the throne room.

"Should we warn the citizens sister?" Luna walked in from the back of the room, looking disheveled.

"No, it would put all of Equestria into panic, thinking that the elements had failed them," she looked out of the window onto the city. "I didn't want to have to do this, but it seems that I must," Celestia looked over at her sister, "We need to get some rest." Luna nodded softly and went back behind the thrones, Celestia following suit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Present

Zach's eyes fluttered open to a blinding sun. It seemed bigger than before, and not only that, it looked to have a dark outline. He put a confused look on his face; something wasn't right. The bones in his body felt way too compressed, and the muscles in his back seemed to sprout out and create a fold. The grass on his back was soft, very soft, almost too soft. He tilted his head off to the left. There was nothing but open field. He then tilted his head off to the right, where he could see a mountain range. The snow capped mountains seemed to come from nowhere. Still looking confusedly at the mountains, he tried to stand up, only to be met by the ground again. "Ugh..." Zach groaned into the dirt, wondering why he lost balance. He brought his hand, rather, his hoof up to mouth to rub off the soot. It took a second for him to realize that a hoof just scratched his face. He stared at it for a moment before following the arm back to a shoulder that rested beside his head. His eyes opened wide when something clicked in his head.

He was breathing very heavily, while staring at the hoof that was connected to his shoulder. His heart was beating faster and faster as his heart raced. That hoof was a part of his arm, no fingers, no hands, just a hoof. He looked at his back legs, which were also hooved. "Nonononono...." Zach muttered to himself while he was trying to calm down. His survival instincts were starting to kick in. "Alright, alright, calm yourself down.... this isn't time to panic," he told himself. First off, he needed fresh water. He didn't care what he was right now, he knew he needed water. He noticed a hill to his right, he could probably get a better view there. "Ok, it looks like you're some kind of,...pony. How do I walk with these? Right front out, left front in, back right in, back left out." He contineued this motion forments, getting used to the rhythm. He knew that he would have to learn to run, but that was for later. Once he reached the crest of the hill, he noticed that there was a forest at the bottom of the mountains. There was a stream flowing at the edge of the treeline.

The water in the stream was refreshing, cold and clean. By the time he even reached it, Zach was thirsty. He didn't even take time to notice himself. As he peered into the surface of the water, he was just completely baffeled at what was looking back. The creature staring at him had a matte orange body and, as he had guessed, was pony-like. Folded onto his sides was a pair of feathered wings, with a darker orange on the tip of them. His mane flowed like a flame, and it seemed to look like one. On his flank was a mark that looked like a flame with a golden streak coming from it. But what pulled more of his attention is what was paired with the wings. Portruding from his head is what looked like a twisted orange bone, better yet, horn. "I-I-I'm an..... I'm an alicorn..." Sure he knew what it was, he had watched a show called My Little Pony and, besides all the hate he got, he liked the show. He was practically living the dream of every single brony, and all he could do was deadpan. He looked over towards the mountain and forest, "Then that means... I'm in... Equesrtia...."

His mind had just been completely blown.

Author's Note:

I realize this chapter was a bit short, but I was only using it to explain the situation and introduce our character. I will try my best to make some chapters longer, but I can't promise 8,000 words or so. It gets pretty busy with college. Anyway leave feedback because anything helps. Lunar out.