• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 527 Views, 32 Comments

Royal Harvest Festival - Featherdust418



Sweet Apple Acres has been chosen for the R.H.F., a contest in which ponies from all over sample their foods to the princesses to be selected to cater the Grand Galloping Gala.

  • ...
4
 32
 527

Chapter 10

"I knew it! You're just to much of a wimp to leave this barn! And, you'd nev- say! Who is that?" As the young stallion walked up to them, Buck groaned inwardly and A.J. narrowed her eyes at him. He was gray-blue with maroon colored eyes, and had black spiky hair, and black hooves. He was also rather chubby, and his cutie mark was that of a few bits and three small apples.

"Fruit Force, what are you doing here? I thought you'd be with gramps."
"I had to come back to this old place to pick up a few things. Enough about that, though- why don't you tell me about this pretty mare you're with? Better yet-" he paused as he turned to A.J.,"- Hello, madam! While I don't know why you are with my brother, you will not have to waste anymore time with him! I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, but I promise things will be far better from here on out!" As he said this he took A.J.'s hoof into his own, while Applebuck did a facehoof.

Applejack didn't know whether to be shocked, angry, or burst out laughing at his sad attempt at chivalry. She wriggled her hoof from his grasp and responded,
"My name is Applejack, and... thanks, but no thanks. And for you're information, your brother and I have been having a wonderful time! I think I'm gonna stick with him for now." Force looked at her in shock for a few seconds, then his expression changed to one of boredom.
"Pffft, your loss! You must be a farm mare, what with that accent and wanting to be with my brother instead of all this awesome! Well, that's alright- I'm certainly not interested in any farm mare." Applejack simply replied,

"Well, the feeling is mutual." Fruit Force rolled his eyes and turned back to his brother. "sheesh, dude! Where do you find mares like this? Well, I gotta say, I can't believe you have a marefriend! I didn't see that coming, especially after-'
"Whoa, whoa! Who said anything about her being my...well, uh, that? I told you, I have no interest in that right now!" He and A.J. both had a bit of red creeping into their cheeks. A.J. then said,
"well you're in luck, because neither do I! Nope, we're just friends, is all!"
"See, Force? Just friends! Now why don't you go and finish packing your stuff?"

"Well, I guess I could, but there's something I have to do first. Oh, what was it, hmm... oh! I remember now! Try to figure out why the hay you want to keep working on this old farm! You know you'll never win that dumb contest, so really, you should just give up now!"
"Oh please! You think dad's just going to give up the farm that easily? Even if we do lose, he'll keep fighting for it!"

"You don't seem to get it, do you? If you don't win this contest, you won't have enough to get by! I've done the numbers, Buck- there is no future for this place! The only way to keep this farm is if you win that contest! And that's so unlikely, what's the point! Besides, just think of how popular we'd be if we had a movie theater! It would be great- way better than a dingy old barn!"

Suddenly, A.J. had a terrible feeling in the pit of her stomach. Was what Force saying really true? She knew the reasons why it was so "important" for everypony to win that contest- fame, power, wealth... but were those reasons really as important as saving your own home? Deep down, she knew the answer, but what could she do? There was something she could do, but she swatted the thought away like a fly on a hot summer day, before it could come to the front of her mind. As she was thinking, Buck replied to his brother,

"Oh, please! You know I could care less about all that 'popularity' stuff! And I may not be as good at numbers as you are, but there is one thing I have that you don't- hope! You won't even give the contest a chance, but I believe we've got what it takes!" Force shook his head and said to Buck,
"You are so ignorant sometimes. Well, go ahead, hold on to your... 'hope', I can see that nothing will change your mind. I still think you and dad are making a huge mistake, though! Well, I'm getting out of here, this place is starting to make me smell bad. Have fun wasting your time in here!" He called out as he ran out of the barn. Buck shook his head, then looked over at A.J.

"Well, you met every member of my family... well, at least the ones around here! Though, to be honest, I was kind of hoping you wouldn't meet my brother, he's kind of... Applejack? Are you alright?" He noticed that she had a sad look in her eyes. She responded in a whisper,
"Buck... is that true? That saving your home relies on the outcome of this contest for you and your father?" Buck sat down beside her and said,

"Hey, don't worry about that! This is our battle, not yours! Besides, I doubt my dad would give up so easily. I mean, sure, things are pretty bad right now, but this place has always had it's ups and downs. I'm sure we'll be able to dig it out of this hole, just like we've always done!" Applejack looked at him suspiciously for a moment, then smiled.
"Well... okay, then. I... I guess I won't worry about it. Besides, if you have a couple more chances, even if you lose the contest- well, I'm sure you'll be fine!" Applebuck smiled in return and replied,
"That's the spirit! Now come on, it's getting late, I'd better take you back to the hotel." As they made their way back, Buck spoke,
"Oh, I can't wait for tomorrow, the Princesses will be checking the booths and making sure the preparations are going smoothly! I've only seen them on a few occasions, so this is a pretty big deal for me! What about you, A.J., have you ever seen the Princesses?" A.J. looked up thoughtfully, then gave a sly smile.

"Oh, I've seen the Princesses quite a few times" 'to say the least,' she added mentally.
"Wow! They sure are amazing, aren't they? So kind, and caring! I remember when I was younger, and I first saw Princess Celestia at the Summer Sun Celebration! Of course, Luna wasn't there at the time- but to be alive when she returned! Now that's something! I'll admit, I was... a bit intimidated of her at first, but, despite that, I strongly believe in second chances- Especially for Celestia's own sister! Hmm, when did you first meet the Princesses, A.J.?"

"Well, believe it or not, it was... oh, wait, we're here! Well, maybe I could tell you that story another time- I don't want to keep Granny waiting again!" Applebuck chuckled a bit and said,
"Okay, I understand! Well, you'll have to tell me that story sometime- how about tomorrow?"
"Alright, sounds like a plan!" Applejack exclaimed, then shook hooves with Buck, half as a goodbye, and half as a seal-the-deal. Then she went inside, where she would have a hearty meal and a good night's sleep, and be ready for the next day.

Author's Note:

Aaaaand here's another chapter! Yes, I'm still alive! Sorry this took a while to get out, I've been pretty busy lately. Also- I got a bit of writers block on this chapter, mainly at the part about Buck talking about the Princesses. I didn't want A.J. to tell him what she is yet- that will come soon! I've also been thinking of other stories I want to write, but I promised myself I would finish this one first! Alright, next chapter (hopefully) coming soon!