• Published 9th Mar 2012
  • 1,404 Views, 25 Comments

The Drop of A Feather - RAVENous



Raven Quill makes the biggest mistake any thief could make.

  • ...
0
 25
 1,404

Chapter Two - Pay Back

My alarm went off at 11:00. I wasn’t in a heavy sleep at all. Too many thoughts had been plaguing my mind. I wasn’t sure why I was actually going to go along with Raven. I never thought I would want to break the law or hurt somepony, but I guess after years of neglect from my father and having a lack of ponies who understood how I felt I didn’t care.

I lifted myself out of bed not feeling any trance of tire yet no feeling of energy or excitement. I pulled my only black hoodie over my body and put the hood up. My room was only lit with the light reflected off the moon and through my window. I looked up into my mirror to see a shadow laden across my face. I didn’t look like me. At the time I hadn’t realized I was changing, but it didn’t really matter at that moment.

I lofted about for a bit before I left. I thought about when I was a younger filly and I used to go play with Applebloom and Sweetie Belle and quest for my cutie mark. Things used to be so nice back then. I felt like I belonged and somepony cared about me. Now both of them are too busy to ever hang out or do something. Applebloom is always in Fillydelphia helping her uncle with his carpentry business and Sweetie Belle is always focused on her singing, trying to become as famous as Sapphire Shores probably.

I pushed the nostalgic thoughts out of my head and left the house. Dad was probably asleep from having worked another long day. I started off toward Cheerilee’s house. I had no idea what Raven had in plan. I saw him standing under the tree close to her house. He also had a black hoodie on, but more than just that. He also had black saddle bags on his back and something that he wore on his hooves. As I neared I realize that small spikes were jutting from his hooves. Across the bottom and up to his shin.

“Glad you could make it,” He whispered without looking to me, “Here’s the plan. We are going to go into that window. I’ll climb this tree and jump and you fly up and open the window. We aren’t going to completely raid her house. We are just going to send her a subtle message. Subtle enough that she notices something, but not enough that she would know 100% it’s us. A few small things will go missing and she won’t be sure why, but she won’t call the police. Only take things a single ring or two out of a jewelry box. More than anything be silent. I’ll tap you on the shoulder three times when it’s time to leave. Are you ready?”

I gave him a nod even though I wasn’t very sure. He ran and jumped onto the tree. Using the spikes on his hooves he clung to it and ascended. He walked like a cat across a branch that was nearest the window. I flew up and lifted it open. I swore under my breath when I noticed the screen that lay over our entrance. I looked back to Raven for direction. He just smiled and lipped the words “watch this.” A slim knife slid out of his saddle bags as he backed up on the branch. To my amazement he ran across the thin branch and leaped using his magic to carry the knife with him. He slit an X into the screen right before he plowed through it. I was surprised not to hear a single sound come from inside when he landed. I flew into the window and landed trying not to make any noise. Raven stood crouched in the moon light. It was hard to spot him due to his grey coat in the near grey light. The only thing that stood out was his fire red hair that was revealed when his hood fell off. He pulled it back over his head.

He turned back to me and gave me a nod. We were in what seemed to be a guest bed room. He walked out of the room to search others. I began to scour around the room searching for some sort of item to steal. The only thing I seemed to find was a gold band. I realized then that this was a guest bed room and that nopony would keep anything of value in here. I left in search of other things. I knew I couldn’t steal much because it would make it obvious that we were to ones who broke in. I walked out of the bed room to see what other goods I could find.

I was opened into a ledge over the entrance of Cheerilee’s house. To my left was a stair case, a door directly in front of me, and what seemed to be a bathroom to my right. I noticed Raven creeping up the stairs. He saw and approached me. He put his mouth millimeters away from my ear and whispered, “That door leads to her room. When we go in there you can’t make a single sound. Jewelry boxes are usually on vanity mirrors or dressers. Remember only to take out a couple of things, not all of it.”

I became a bit distracted after having him that close to my face. I noticed that he actually smelled extremely good. His mouth came close to mine as he turned around to face the door. I caught a hint of his breath which smelled like mint ice cream for some reason. I forced myself to focus on the task at hand. We entered the room and found Cheerilee asleep in her bed. I slipped the gold band into Raven’s bags with my wing as we went separate directions. Raven headed strait towards her night stand and opened a drawer. I looked atop her dresser. There was a polyester case with different designs on it. I recognized it as a jewelry box. I opened it and peered inside. It was hard to make out the different shapes inside due to the lack of light but I picked up a ring that looked a bit odd. I pulled it close to my face and tried to examine it, but I couldn’t see much about it. I decided to look later and I closed the box.

I felt the tap of a hoof on my back three times. It was something I hadn’t expected at all because of how intent I was focusing on the ring. I jumped out of surprise and produced a slight sound. Cheerilee stirred in her sleep. I swore under my breath when I realized she was probably going to wake up. Raven signaled with his hoof towards the door. He quickly, yet silently dashed through it and closed it behind me as I followed. He jumped out the window we had come though and I flew out and closed it. Once he was on the ground he started off in full gallop. I flew over head finding it easy to keep up. He was extremely fast for a unicorn, but flying is always faster than hoofing it. He stopped outside a house that didn’t seem to be any different than other houses in Ponyville. I landed beside him.

“Well that was a bit close wasn’t it? Not bad for your first time. Come inside and we’ll see what you got.” He sounded like he was completely out of breath. He opened the door and lead me into his house. I scanned the room I was in. There was an old pink couch in the center of the room facing a small furnace. A blue mare was asleep on it. A kitchen area was connected to it, but slightly separated by a bar that held a refrigerator and a stove behind it. I walked upstairs with Raven. He flipped the light switch on in his room. It was a normal white room that held boxes in corners. There was a desk with several different composition books on it. Raven levitated all the good out of his saddle bags and laid them across the bed. It wasn’t really much. Most of it just small bits of gold or silver jewelry. All but that one ring I stole.

I picked it off of the bed and examined it properly. It was a ring made for unicorns to wear on their horns. Not sure why an earth pony had it. There was a purple gem that was mounted on the top, but the thing that really caught my eye was a smaller fiery stone that spun in the center.

“Whoa. Raven come take a look at this ring,” I held out my hoof toward him. He looked up from the other things we had stolen and levitated the ring. “Do you have any idea what it is?”

He looked at it for a bit longer, “I honestly don’t have any idea. It’s not like anything I have ever found before. I have this guy I know down here. He might be able to tell us what it’s worth. We’ll go see him tomorrow.” My heart lifted when he implied I’d be going with him to appraise the ring.

“You know I could get used to having a partner in crime,” I put the ring down on his bed and stood up. “You know something? I like you Scoots. You have potential. You’re also not bad to be around.” He walked towards me.

A kiss was laid onto my lips. Something I hadn’t expected at all. I didn’t fight it. In fact I returned it back to him. He broke away, but held his face close to mine. “I’ll see you tomorrow. Meet me in front of town hall in the morning.”

He fell back onto his bed and pulled a note book with a quill from under his bed. He looked up at me with a smile. “Have a good night, Scootaloo.”

I walked out with out saying a word. My mind was filled with different thoughts. Most that of confusion. Between the mystery of that ring and his sudden expressed affection towards me I wasn’t sure what to think. All I knew is that I was dead tired. When I arrived back home I fell onto my bed, but I couldn’t sleep. Thoughts raced through my mind.