• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 302 Views, 0 Comments

Tales of Midnight: The Colony - NA_SolarEclipse



Midnight Star, failed assassin, is found guilty for attempted murder of Princess Platinum. However, Clover the Clever calls for a ruling beside the death sentence; that Midnight is sentenced to The Colony.

  • ...
 0
 302

Chapter Six: The Missionary

My eyes shot open to see glorious daylight. I managed to sit up, but found something strange. I was in a very cushy bed looking at the inside of what looked like a log cabin or something. There wasn’t any kind of flooring, just dirt but it was refreshing to have a roof over my head. But why was I here? More importantly, where was here?

I started to look around, but then the pain started. Just like in the black book, I felt like my blood was boiling under my skin. My face was hot and I felt like I needed fresh air. I fought my way off the very soft bed I was laying on, no matter how much my body protested. Managing to get to my hooves once more, I looked for a door or entrance of some kind. To my relief, there was a quaint little door on my left. It was very sophisticated for where I was.

Pushing the door open, I looked out to see a much less aggressive sun shining high in the sky upon actual green grass. There wasn’t any of the dry, yellow prairie grass here. There was only lush, green grass and tall pine trees. It wasn’t too hot, it was relaxing even. There was a lovely breeze that swept through my mane. I suddenly realized that the lace I used to tie my mane back in a ponytail was missing. While it was relaxing to not have it pulling back on my head, it was still unsettling that it was missing. The idea that I was suddenly here in this little log cabin was unsettling. “How did I get here?” I asked aloud.

In response, the wind simply blew again on my face. Strange, someone or something usually answered my questions at convenient times like that. I looked around at the surrounding area to see more pine trees and more green grass. Why was this place so lush and green while where I had been was so dead and dry? Where the hell was I?

I walked back into the small cabin and looked around for my stuff. Next to the cushy bed, I found Warner’s backpack that I had grown so attached to. Even if the only contents were those damned black books and that zebra mask that I had found in that third cone tent. What were those things actually called? On a little, if not crude, bedside table were my glasses and a note. Wait, paper?

I quickly floated my glasses over to put them on, and grimaced at the cracks on the left lens. I really should be more careful with these things. They were made specifically for my eyes, and I was just being brutal to them; dropping them all over the place and throwing them in my back pack with books to be smashed in. If there was a spell to repair these, I couldn’t find it fast enough.

Dismissing my thoughts on my glasses, I put them on and picked up the note on the table. How there was paper here was completely baffling, but I didn’t think on it further. The note seemed to actually be part of a book, as it was torn on one side and had scrawled writing on one side reading ‘table of contents.’ I looked on the other side and read the note aloud. Because that’s what sane ponies do when their alone right?

“If you wake while we are gone, simply stay put. There is much reason for you to leave in your mind, but stay here. The red one, Sharpe, knows you and says that he wants to help. We will return relatively soon, so don’t run off. Graham.”

Who the heck was Graham? Either way, he knew Sharpe. While he wasn’t specifically the pony I wanted to find, I felt like I had to help him get off this continent. I was kind of responsible for his being here in a sense, so I wanted to help him if possible. No matter how much he probably hated my guts. If he was here before, and didn’t kill me while I was knocked out or ‘sleeping’ then he obviously didn’t have too much of a vendetta against me.

I put the note back on the table and sat on the bed again. I wanted to find out where I was, hopefully still on the same continent. Then again, maybe it was best if I was somewhere else. If that were the case then I wouldn’t have to worry about the Colony, zebras, or…Sunset.

Even though he was a bit of a creep, I couldn’t help but like Sunset a little. He wasn’t terrible for living where he was for so long. If being in these zebra lands had changed me as much as I had in a few days, I could only imagine how difficult it was to remain as charming as he was for two and a half years. I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss him, or Edge. They seemed nice enough, and I would feel bad if I somehow got out of here without them…or Warner.

I had a lot to talk to Warner about, from these black books to apologizing for his ship crashing. I needed to know more about these books, and he had them for much longer than I. Maybe he knew something about the yellow fire pony, I dare not think her name or I might catch this nice log cabin on fire, or the grey shadow one. Then again there was still the third book, but I didn’t want to read it or even try. I had enough of those books already.

Then why didn’t I just throw them into a fire? Oh yeah, I couldn’t make fire without burning absolutely everything around me.

I got up from the bed and slung the back pack on again. I felt like getting up and going somewhere, but I had to stay here. While I was indeed letting a piece of paper dictate my decisions for me, it did ask that I stay here. That wasn’t telling me, but it wasn’t the kind of thing that one should just ignore.

In light of all this, I decided to stay. There wasn’t a point in trying to find Sharpe and Warner if one of them was here at least. Maybe he knew where I could find Warner and we could all try to find the Silver Sapphire shipwreck.

Why did I feel like that was something that could happen? Sharpe was a guard whose purpose was to make sure I got to the Colony without escaping, and Warner was simply the sailor burdened with the task of taking me there. Why would they have any mind to go anywhere with me?

I shrugged the back pack off again and laid on the bed. I suddenly felt really helpless and alone. The closest pony I thought as a friend was simply my transport to a faraway prison. What kind of pony thinks that? And the thought that my delivery assurance was a friend too was absolutely crazy. I could only guess that Sharpe hadn’t killed me in my sleep was just because he wanted to do so while I was alive to see the light fade from my eyes.

Some ‘friends’ I had.



I wallowed in my thoughts for quite a while. When I had went outside before, the sun was high in the sky around what I could assume was noon. Now it was sinking on the horizon getting closer and closer to evening. If I could guess, I’d say it was around four hours past noon.

I was stirred from my thoughts by voices I hear outside. They were low, and somewhat distant but they were approaching. Perhaps Sharpe and whoever Graham was were approaching, or maybe it was zebra. My last encounter with them had been less than pleasant. What if they found me and were going to spear me? What if I couldn’t run away fast enough?

As the voices got closer however, my suspicion was alleviated. “I understand what you think about zebra, but they are living things just like you. They have as much of a right to freedom as the rest of us Sharpe. There is no reason incarceration would convince them to adopt more as you say ‘civilized’ behavior.”

“I see your point. But don’t they know that there is a better way to live than in tents and in the mud? Wouldn’t they want to better themselves?” Was that Sharpe? Asking about bettering another pony, or zebra’s life?

The two were close now, right outside the door. “Just because we see something as better for them doesn’t mean they do too. It’s a matter of perspective and tradition. What if one of them came to you with a potion that cures headache? You wouldn’t be too keen on partaking since you know about magical spells that do the same thing without consuming anything. They don’t know that, so their medicine is their best way to cope with such things. Zebra are a race rooted in tradition, organization is not very prominent. Even their Caesar know this and does not outlaw tribes and provinces. Now, I want to end this discussion. Alright Sharpe?” Whoever this Graham was had a very refined understanding of the zebra.

Wait a moment, they were coming in. And I was still laying down like a lazy mule. I made a valiant effort to jump out of bed to my hooves, but ended up undershooting the jump and ended up on my back in a very unceremonious position right as the door swung open. Great first impression. I looked to the open door at the two stallions standing in the doorway. “Uh, hey there.” I greeted as normal as possible. Then again, laying on the ground with my hind legs still on the bed wasn’t very normal.

Sharpe tilted his head slightly giving me a very confused look while the other pony, of tan coat and short black mane, simply raised an eyebrow. “So this is your friend awake.” He deadpanned. Awesome, just awesome. The first impression this Graham had of me is my clumsiness.

I fought my way to my hooves and tried to act as if nothing had happened. I would have been better off just lying in bed, and being invisible seemed like a great idea right about now. “Midnight, what the heck was that all about? If you’re trying to send me a message, you’re kind of going about it the wrong way.” Sharpe ventured humorously. He wasn’t wearing his silver armor anymore, strange. I never realized it, but Sharpe had a really nice brown mane that fell down half his neck and just above his eyes. I couldn’t see before because of his armor.

“I-um, I just don’t know what went wrong.” Somehow the words just seemed natural to say. “I’m guessing that you are this Graham name that I saw on the paper?”

The tan pony nodded his head slowly, and it was immediately evident. Graham was an earth pony. “Yes, a missionary sent here to zebra lands to try and convert them to civilized living and organized religion. However, the longer I stay here the more they seem to change my thoughts instead.” Well, the missionary part explained his book cutie mark.

“And it’s good to see you too Sharpe! I’m so sorry I didn’t say hello. How did you find your way around and to here?” I suddenly realized that I had almost completely forgot to greet him. Really considerate Midnight.

“Clearly you had a different idea of greeting from what I was thinking. Like I said, there are better ways of sending messages Midnight.” Yeah, I get it Sharpe. “As for how I found my way here? I was found by Graham.”

The two stallions cantered into the cabin. Sharpe sat down near the center of the room and Graham near the door, closing it quietly. I sat down against the bed, as it was pretty comfortable. What was it made out of? “Alright, I guess that makes sense. Have you seen Warner?”

Sharpe shook his head slowly. “No, haven’t seen him since he ran us onto land. You flew off the ship and I have no idea where he went. Me? I was onboard the damned thing when it hit the rocky shore. I didn’t know where to go, so I simply stayed put for a while. Warner never showed up and you seemed to have just flown away, so I stayed onboard the ship for a day or so. Eventually, Graham found the shipwreck and offered to give me a place to stay. I couldn’t just say no to such an offer, so here I am. Welcome to the Mission.”

“The Mission?” I asked confused.

It was Graham that spoke up however. “Not a proper one no, but one in a sense. A mission is usually where a large number of non-believers are converted to being saved, but my superiors didn’t really think that through when they only sent me here. Since they only sent me, I simply only built quarters for myself and perhaps a few guests. Instead of having a large fort built, I simply decided on visiting the local tribes. While one tribe was inviting to me at first, they changed their mind when they realized that I was there to spread religion. They found their deities of logic and reason more appealing than an ideological salvation from my higher power.”

I had no idea that earth ponies were such religious types. Then again, without magic it would seem that a lot of things were made wonderful by unknown means. For better or worse. “I see. Then it must have been you that the zebra mare was talking about.” I concluded aloud.

“Indeed. Zavalla, if that is the same zebra we are both thinking of, was open to learning our language if only out of curiosity to what I was saying. However, when that curiosity was sated she demanded that I move on. Out of respect, I did so. Moved onto another tribe. I had more luck with this tribe as well. They don’t sacrifice other animals to appease their deities of rain and sun, and are even open to the ideas of salvation. But there is only one problem: I fear that they accept this salvation only in reverence of me, not for religious purposes.” Graham seemed to be downtrodden about this.

“What do you mean by that? Do they think that you are some sort of higher power yourself?” I asked, a tad confused.

Graham chuckled quietly. Damn it! Why was I apparently so funny? “Well, they see my helping them with farming and teaching them self-defense as a blessing from the deity I represent to them. I fear that they will follow me instead of finding their way to Harmony.”

I guess that would be a pretty significant failure in a missionary’s view. Converting them not to follow the religion, but to simply follow the pony giving out stuff. Even if it was farming and self-defense techniques. Wait, self-defense? “So you taught these zebra how to farm and how to defend themselves? What does that mean?”

“Quite simply, they asked for help. This tribe, the grounded rocs, have been in a scuffle with the first tribe I encountered for many years. They needed assistance, and so I gave them my knowledge of self-sufficiency and self-defense. Now they are thanking me by honoring me as a God. I didn’t ask for that, and it’s not something one who is with Harmony is supposed to enjoy.” From the repetition of Harmony, I guess that’s what religion he stood for. How could Harmony be a religion? “Worse though is that now the rival tribe, the blooded bark, have had their camp burned to the ground. Stranger though, I found you there. Care to explain yourself?”

Suddenly I felt very uneasy. This went from a little strange to aggressive in the blink of an eye. I wasn’t ready for the sudden change in tone and feeling. I looked to Sharpe, but he too seemed interested in this topic. “Um, well I was on a mission really.” I wasn’t sure if telling a religious pony like Graham about my black magic was a good thing. I didn’t know if he would denounce me as a demon or something like that. “I had been taken as a prisoner by this tribe the day before, and when they were about to kill me I was saved. The unicorns of a criminal settlement called the Colony charged on the encampment and killed a majority of the zebras then burned the rest of the camp. I was taken in by the leader, and he sent me on a mission to retrieve anything else of use left in the camp.” It pained me to lie and put the burning on some pony else, but I wanted to keep things civil here. No need to call on the shadows to aid me. Oh great now it wasn’t just thinking fire was beautiful, now I thought that I could use the shadows to make a weapon. All I needed was some of my blood and-NO! I was not doing that!

Graham was unconvinced however. “Not the answer I was looking for young lady. I want to know about those black books you have in your bag.” Oh great, he knew anyway. “Sharpe here tells me you were supposed to burn those, but something tells me that you haven’t been as motivated to do so as you were instructed. Sharpe told me of Warner and his books, and I know these books. They have caused much destruction and doubt to my race for generations. I don’t have to ask if you’ve been reading them, as their pages are blank. I want to know why you are here and to what ends you wish to use your dark influence. What say you, monster?”

I was not a monster! At least…not in my eyes. I only burned down that camp in self-defense. “I-I don’t see what ground you stand on Mister Righteous. You say you’re here to spread religion and salvation to the zebra, but all you’ve done is make them more dangerous and believe that you are some kind of God. If my reading of supposed dark and forbidden magic is so wrong, I dare you to sink to my level and tell me how wrong I am knowing that you have changed not just the lives of zebras as I have, but misguided them.” Why was I so aggressive to this pony I hardly knew? I hadn’t been like this when questioned in court at all. I was submissive before these black books. Maybe they really did turn me into a monster.

Graham kept his gaze on me throughout my little tantrum, and kept it up even after I finished. He really did have a piercing look though. I was on the offensive of this argument, and I felt like I was under attack by his green eyes and silence alone. Then he spoke. “Perhaps I was wrong. That is…unusual. But you have a point monster; one shouldn’t throw rocks if they live in a glass house.”

“I’m not a monster!” I insisted.

Graham gave a slow nod. “Perhaps, perhaps not. That is for you to decide, not me. It is not what one has that dictates their own salvation, it is how they use the gifts and curses they are given. Maybe there is purpose to your dark magic after all; a sort of release for those who cannot go on living with the curse that they have bared for so many years.” What did that mean? Religious jibber probably. “At any rate, I believe it is really Sharpe here who wanted to talk to you more than I. I’ll leave you to discuss, but I’ll be around.” Graham then walked out the door calmly, as if nothing had ever happened. He was certainly a strange one.

“Midnight Star.” Oh good, now to face Sharpe. I hoped this would end well. “You and I have a lot to discuss.”

“Yes, I know. And I’m so sorry for the way things ended up! I didn’t mean to cause you such pain and confusion by simply being around me. I never meant to do any kind of harm.” As I spoke, Sharpe got up and cantered over to me. I got up as well, fearing that I may have to run away or something. But if he was going to kill me for what had happened, I wouldn’t stop him. It was probably for the best anyway. “Sharpe, I know that things haven’t exactly been good between us since we met but I assure you that I plan to make things better. I just don’t know how I’ll-mmph?!”

While I was trying to give Sharpe reason not to kill me, he…kissed me. I was confused beyond measure, and it was by no means a good kiss. Just strange and out of place. After we were done he simply looked at me and smiled. “Sorry, you were kind of blabbering on. It was an effective way to shut you up for now.” I was not blabbing! And he could have just shushed me with a hoof or something! “Look, I know you feel responsible for my being here. In truth you really are. Thing is though, I couldn’t be happier about it.”

I found it nearly impossible to find the words, as I was still confused by that kiss. “Wait, what?” Was all I could come up with.

Sharpe looked me dead in the eyes. “All my life, I’ve been told what to do. All my life, I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to make my own choices. You and Warner gave that to me Midnight. I always wanted a life where I could make my own decisions of where to go or what to do. Now I can. I may have thought that you were just a curse on my day and that I’d just go to my life again when this whole ordeal was over, but it has been something much greater than that. I’m free here. Free to do what I want for once.”

I had never thought that a guard would feel imprisoned by his own duty. “I-I don’t know what to say. I thought that you were just waiting for the opportunity to kill me or something.”

“No Midnight. I wanted to thank you. Here, I’m not under the order of some higher up officer or Princess. I buried my armor in the sand before I came here with Graham, in celebration of my freedom. So long had I been imprisoned and blinded by that armor that I forgot how to see and how to feel normally. All I knew was my duty to the Princess, but no more.”

That certainly answered a lot. “Well, why did you kiss me? You could have shushed me with a hoof or something.” It’s not like it was the worst thing I had experienced since I’ve been here, but it was still weird because if was Sharpe.

The red pony just smiled though, tossing his brown mane to the side a bit with his neck. “In my family, before I was sent to guard training, that was how we showed affection or appreciation. Of course no, I wasn’t trying to show the former as much as the latter. In all honesty, you aren’t really my type.”

Hey wait a second, I wasn’t his type? Who was denying who here? “Uh, alright then. What do you plan to do with your new freedom Sharpe?” I asked tentatively, trying to change the subject.

Sharpe smiled. It was a bit strange to see him smile, but a good kind of strange. “Well, I actually intended to make sure you were safe foremost. Then was finding Warner, wherever he has gone. Lastly, I actually wanted to travel these lands with Graham. He has a strong sense of duty and honor about him, and I think that having some pony else around would do him some good. He’s a bit reclusive, but can be a really great pony. Generally wants the greater good for all ponies and zebra, most importantly he isn’t discriminant of who he helps. He’s a lot like my brother I think, back before he was executed.”

Wait, Edge said his brother was Sharpe. Did he really think that Edge was executed? “Um, actually Sharpe I don’t think he was executed like you think.”

Sharpe gave me a critical eye, like he actually wanted to kill me this time. “Don’t toy about my family Midnight. They weren’t the best of families, but they gave me a sense of duty and honor.”

“No seriously Sharpe, I’ve seen your brother.” He continued his disbelieving gaze. “His name is Edge isn’t it? He’s here, in the Colony!”

Sharpe shook his head, again looking as sour as he had back on the Silver Sapphire. “I know my brother was executed because I heard about it from the new guard captain. They told me that he was burned at the stake. They told me-”

“That’s exactly it Sharpe. They told you. I’ve met him, in fact he saved me from that zebra camp. When I saw him in the distance, I thought it was actually you! But when I got a better look at him, I saw that he was different. He’s a bit taller than you, has a brown coat and red mane, and is the leader of the Colony last I heard.” Through Sharpe’s disbelieving gaze, I could see a flicker of hope.

“How do you know that it’s my brother?” He demanded, eyes glassy with tears.

“When I asked if it was you, he said he had a brother named Sharpe. I don’t know a lot of other ponies named Sharpe, do you?”

He remained unconvinced. “I don’t believe you Midnight. My brother is dead, it’s better that way.”

“Why don’t we go meet him then?” I asked quickly. “Then you can decide if I’m lying or not.”

Sharpe gave a curt nod. “Fine. We will go to this Colony tomorrow and I can prove how wrong you are.”

For a moment, there was silence in the cabin. In the silence, Graham entered once more with two grass mats. “Well, it’s good to see you two getting along. I brought these so that we could all sleep comfortably for the journey tomorrow.” Both Sharpe and I gave Graham a confused look. “What? Just because I’m a religious stallion doesn’t mean that I can’t hear two ponies yelling inside my home. Reminds me of my family all too well really.”

“Um, thanks Graham. It’s thoughtful of you.” There wasn’t any use in courtesy if it wasn’t used.

“Of course. We shall depart in the morning. Good night.” Graham laid down on one of the grass mats he brought in, turning away from me and Sharpe.

“It’s a bit early for sleep don’t you think? Also, shouldn’t you sleep on the actual bed? It is yours after all.” The sun was still visible on the horizon! That is way too early for sleep.

Graham chucked in his deep register. “It’s rude to not offer the best for a lady. As for the earliness? We will need as much time as possible to arrive at the Colony at a reasonable hour. So getting as much sleep as soon as possible is for the best. Good night.”

Sharpe and I exchanged a confused look but just shrugged and accepted it. “He makes a point Midnight, we should try to save as much energy as possible.” Sharpe laid down on the other mat, a few paces from Graham’s. “Good night, if there was such a thing.”

I sat there for a moment and thought. I didn’t really deserve to sleep on the actual comfy bed, but it wasn’t like I was going to complain. I laid down on the cushiness and was instantly comfortable again. You never realized how much you missed something like proper cushioning until you have slept in the dirt and on rocks for a few days. Even though I wasn’t sleepy, I at least tried to get to sleep. After an hour or so the sun was below the horizon and no light entered the cabin from the door frame. Soon after, I found myself drifting away into sleep.



Turns out, the Mission that Graham called home was actually on the mountain that I kept seeing before. For the longest time I kept away from it, in fear of falling off one of the cliffs or something. In actuality, there was a nice decline on the leeward side; making for a pleasant morning of trotting downhill and listening to Graham talk about the secrets of farming. While most of it didn’t make sense, there were some easy things to take away from it. Planting during the winter was a bad idea, and planting in the spring made for a bountiful fall harvest to keep food for the winter. While these were all fine and dandy, I had a feeling that a lot of common sense or trial and error could have told me the same thing.

While the conversation wasn’t an actual conversation as much as a horticulture lesson, it did make the time pass faster. Before we knew it, we were nearing the zebra camp that I had burned. Oh such fond memories.

“Here is where I stop leading Midnight. I have not been to this Colony, as I have no place among criminals. You lead from here, you know the way better than I.” Graham stated, slowing his pace a bit. The first words out of the subject of plants were a good change, but not one that I was looking forward to.
I had no idea how Sharpe would react to seeing his brother that he believed was dead, or how the other ponies of the Colony would react to a religious pony like Graham. Then again, both of them were trained in some kind of self-defense apparently and I had my black magic. No! No black magic against ponies that were supposed to be a sort of family to me.

Finished thoroughly racking my brain, I finally responded. “Alright, next stop: The Colony!” I took the lead and made off in the direction I knew the Colony lied. I had a good sense of direction when I knew where I actually was, but it you asked me what cardinal direction it was I wouldn’t have a clue. While Graham and Sharpe conversed quietly behind me, I simply stayed silent on the last leg of our journey to the Colony.



The sun was setting at our backs as we made it closer and closer to the circle of trees that was The Colony. “Alright guys, we’re here!” I announced loudly. “Welcome to the Colony.”

With a look around, both Sharpe and Graham stated the same thing. “Is this it?”

This time, I had a chuckle at the silliness. It felt good to laugh, apparently being so funny myself, I felt a little better to pass the mirth on to someone else.

I looked around the empty trees in confusion. “Where is every pony?” I asked aloud, hoping to get an answer. There was only silence though.

“Isn’t there supposed to be more than just trees here?” Graham asked rudely, apparently doubting that I had taken them to the right place.

“I know it’s here, I just don’t know where they all are.” I defended quickly.

Suddenly wood crashed down all around us. At first I thought that a tree had fallen down upon us and we would be buried by twigs and branches, but that was not the case. Instead of branches and leaves, it was a crudely made wooden cage. “Whoa! What is the meaning of this?” Sharpe demanded within the cramped space of the trap.

“Should have known that a criminal would lead us into a trap.” Graham accused angrily. “What do you plan to do now that you have us trapped Midnight?”

“If you haven’t noticed, I’m stuck in here too! Why would I set up a trap that I would get caught in?” I knew that he didn’t trust me that much, but that idea was ridiculous.

While the three of us were arguing in our wooden prison, ponies started approaching tentatively with magic wielded spears pointed at us. A look upwards and I saw Sunset looking down on us with a smile, but when he saw my eyes his smile faded to surprise. “Who do you think you ponies are? I don’t know what your intention is, but I think that we can reach a fair agreement as long as you behave yourselves.” I looked back down to see Edge approaching slowly to my right. “And Midnight, so good to see you alive. Most of us thought you were dead, being gone for the past three days.”

“Been a bit busy. You know, just looking around. Stuff like that.” I answered sarcastically.

“That’s excellent. I’d just like to know who are new guests are, and why one of them is a mud pony.” Edge certainly didn’t have any kind of manners toward Graham.

“My being here is by Midnight’s doing. Then again, I suppose I’m to blame for this. Trust isn’t something that should so easily be given.” Graham sure had a cryptic, if not rude way of putting things like that.

“Enough.” I demanded. “I’m here because I found your brother Edge. He’s in here.”

There was silence for a moment. Edge walked over to the wooden cage and gave the red stallion beside me a critical look. “Sharpe, is that really you?”

I turned my head around to look at Sharpe, and he had a similarly disbelieving frown on his muzzle. “Edge. I thought they killed you.”

Edge looked up at Sunset. “Hey! Get this cage off them Sunset!” To his command, the yellow Pegasus lifted the wooden cage off us with some difficulty. Now with no wooden bars to contain us, most of the surrounding unicorns pointed spears at me and Graham’s necks. Sharpe was spared such spear pointing. “Sharpe. What are you doing here kid?” Edge asked after some silence.

“I was here with Midnight when our boat crashed. How are you here?” Sharpe was simply baffled at his brother’s being here.

Edge looked down to the ground, not wanting to face his brother. “I…was sentenced to the Colony for taking justice into my own hooves. When that thief killed mother, I just couldn’t let him get away. The guard was sad to sentence their captain here, but they didn’t want to see me put to death.” That explained a lot. That’s why he had taken such charge here, he had been the captain of the Platinum guard before.

Sharpe and Edge hugged each other close while the rest of the Colony ponies lowered their spears. “I can’t believe you’re here brother. It’s been too long.” Sharpe muttered.

I could swear I saw a tear in Sharpe’s eye. Even Edge’s eyes were watering. The two toughest ponies I knew were crying over their reunion. It was touching, until Edge gave me a sour look. “Midnight I sent you out to get any remaining supplies from that zebra camp, and you come back with my brother and another pony? That’s either a terrible failure or a great success in my eyes, I just can’t decide on which.” Edge took a step away from his brother, breaking the embrace. “More importantly, why have you brought this other one here?”

I tried to take a step back, but I didn’t have anywhere to go. Behind me were two unicorns bearing down on me with spears again. They just couldn’t make up their mind could they? “I needed a guide. Graham led me to the zebra camp again after I…got lost.” I looked at Graham, who gave me a knowing nod. “But I think that he can help us here.”

“Really now?” Edge seemed skeptical, of course. “What exactly does your earth pony friend here have to offer us that we don’t have?”

Graham smiled, as if he was in on a joke or something. “Well as I can simply see from where I am standing, a lot. You don’t have any kind of living conditions that are actually safe, you don’t have a permanent source of food, and your pony’s spear maneuvering is terrible. I can help with all of those things actually. I’ve been living here for at least five years now, and I can honestly say that I have been living much more comfortably than inside trees and such. I could help with those sorts of things, if you don’t simply choose to end my life here at the end of a badly used spear.”

Edge gave Graham a critical look, but nodded a few times. “You have a point mud walker, but what makes you think we can trust you?”

“Well for one, there’s around twenty of you in total counting the one’s hiding in the tree line. Twenty plus two, Midnight and Sharpe here, means that there are twenty one more of you than me. Twenty one of you that can use magic where as I cannot. It would be in my best interest to help you rather than rebel against you, I don’t think even I could take on all of you with your magic. Maybe just half.” Graham could asses a situation really quickly.

Edge nodded a few times, as if gauging the earth pony. “You make a good point, but why would you help us? We have you captive at the moment. Furthermore, our kind has been at ends with yours for years. Why help us knowing that we are all criminals?”

Graham smile. “Assistance, in its very essence, is not discriminant. What kind of pony would I be if I denied another assistance of any kind? I would be the very thing that I am here to fight against, hardship and denial.”

Edge stared into Graham’s eyes critically, looking for any sign of wavering. There was none however. “Alright. I trust you, for now.” I couldn’t help but smile. “But give me a reason to take that trust away, and I will. Along with your life.” That was dark. “What is your name anyway? I like a good mystery, but names are good if you’re going to help us.”

As the surrounding unicorns stepped away, I felt much better. Less spears, more trust. Always a good thing. “My name isn’t important really, just a missionary. But if you must know, I am Graham. Like my father before me.”

“Well then, Graham, welcome to the family…temporarily. Pick a tree and go ahead and sleep under it, if you want. I don’t really care where you go, just don’t cause any trouble and we won’t be any trouble. For now.” Edge turned around, walking toward his tree hovel.

“Tell me brother, this Colony, how did you come to be the leader?” Sharpe said, following his brother swiftly.

I didn’t care to listen in on their conversation, I simply looked at Graham now that the other unicorns were clearing out. “Graham, I’m sorry the way things turned out. I didn’t mean to tie you up in my problems.”

Graham smiled down at me, reminding me how short I was compared to most other ponies here. “I go where I am needed. How I get there is for Harmony to decide, not me. I will assist these ponies in the way that I help all who need help: until they don’t need me anymore. May be a short time, may be a year or so. Until that appointed time, I will remain here. The Mission will be there when I return, if not I can always go elsewhere.” He started off towards my right, looking at the trees. “If anything, I should thank you. If I am to be an instrument of assistance to those in need, then I must be utilized in all ways possible. Even if I am not wanted, as long as I am needed I will help. Whatever form that takes.”
He certainly had a…interesting outlook on life. “Alright. I’ll see you later then Graham, I have something I need to check on.” Graham gave me a nod and continued to look around. I however went towards the beach.



With no sun rise, there wasn’t very much light on the peaceful beach that bordered the Colony’s tree line. All I had to light my vision was the fading light given off by the setting sun hidden by the trees. I knew he would be here though. “Sunset Gale! You can stop hiding or whatever! I know you’re here!” I yelled out into the orange sky above me.

A few moments of silence passed and I almost thought that Sunset wasn’t actually here, but then a rustling in the trees behind me told me otherwise. I turned around to see the yellow Pegasus emerge from some of the branches, a shameful look on his face. “Look Midnight, I’m sorry for dropping that cage on you and your friends earlier. I was just following orders and cues. I didn’t know it was you until I had already dropped the damn thing.”

I scrunched up my face into a frustrated looking frown, but probably just looked silly. “I’m not a cage girl Sunset.” The yellow Pegasus in question landed in front of me, eyes downcast. “Unless I’m the one putting the cage on some pony else. I’m not into the whole ‘being left helpless’ thing.”

Sunset looked up and gave a wide-eyed expression of surprise. “Wha-huh? What’s that supposed to mean?”

I couldn’t help but laugh. I was really bad at the whole dominating personality. “Nothing, really. Just thought I’d break the tension or something. You take yourself way too seriously. Also, you act like I’ve never heard of having to do something by and order before. Trust me, I understand that feeling of regret. I lived my whole life under some pony else’s order. If anything, I happen to be an expert on the subject.”

Sunset looked like he was searching for the words, but couldn’t find them.

“It’s alright, okay? I don’t hold it against you, I’ve done worse before.” These words just kind of found their way into my mind. I hardly had to think to find them.

“Uh, um alright.” Sunset finally looked me in the eye without such a ridiculous wide expression. “Would you mind me asking about what you did that was worse?”

Damn it. Knew I shouldn’t have said anything about that. “Um, well you know that zebra camp?” Sunset nodded. “Well, I kind of…burned it to the ground.”

This time, Sunset had no silly expression. “Well, according to what Edge told me they were going to kill you. So I’d say that self-defense is a good reason to strike back. You say that like I’ve never had to fight back at something for being aggressive to me.”

Oh good. Now he was using what I said against me. It was kind of cute, if anything. At any rate, he brought a smile to my face. “Thanks Sunset.”

“Anytime.” He responded easy. “But we have got to discuss something.”

Whoa, wait a second. “What do you mean?” I asked, confused.

Sunset wore his best pouty face. “You can’t just go off and make me think you are dead! You were gone for three days with no word as to if you were alright. I checked the zebra camp and found nothing but ashes and some tents. I’m going to keep an eye on you, I don’t want you to make me think something like that again.”

I smiled once more. “Alright Sunset, just don’t stare too hard.”

Sunset looked around at the purple sky above, fading into the darkness of night. “Well, it’s getting pretty late. We should probably get back soon.”

Sharing a look around, I couldn’t help but agree. “Yeah, darkness can be pretty scary can’t it?”

As we turned back around and started towards the Colony, Sunset looked like he got an idea. “Hey, want to see something cool?” He asked, slightly excited.

We stopped for a moment. “Sure, what’s that?”

“Depends, do you trust me?” He asked quickly.

I narrowed my gaze at him. Trust was something that I had issues with. But I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. “Yes, I do.” Not exactly what I was thinking. Damn it brain! Why didn’t you say what I wanted you to?

Sunset wore an expression of absolute giddiness. His smile was a bit contagious. “Alright then! Hop on.” He laid down on the sand expectantly.

I stared at him, endlessly confused. “What?”

He looked up at me, still with a smile on his face. “Hop on my back. Got something I want to show you.”

Still skeptical, I continued to stare for a moment. “Alright.” I slowly maneuvered myself onto his back, wrapping my hooves around his neck like a foal would her parent. “But if this is some kind of trick, I’m never going to-Whoa!”

Before I could even finish my sentence, Sunset took off. Flying high into the sky with me hanging onto him for dear life. I may have screamed a little, or a lot. I was deaf to my own screaming with the wind whipping by my ears. We passed through a layer of clouds, where Sunset finally stopped and stepped onto the clouds! “Here we go, check it out.” Sunset said calmly, as if he hadn’t just taken off and scared me half to death.

“I ought to kill you, you stupid…” I looked in the direction he was and couldn’t help but gasp. From the ground, you never got to look at the last seconds of the setting sun with such a gorgeous view. The sun was just setting over the horizon, a great orange ball of light that shined ever dimmer and dimmer. “That’s, that’s just spectacular.” I whispered.

“Yeah, it’s really something the first time you see it. I wanted to capture it in painting once, but I couldn’t make myself trap such beauty onto canvass. It would be a crime against nature.” Sunset seemed rather…reflective looking at the sun set. “When I arrived here, I thought it was like my hope setting over the horizon. Like my hope was figuratively setting on all possibilities.”

In the orange-purple light of the night taking over the sky with the absence of the sun, I could see a tear in Sunset’s eye. “Hey, don’t be sad. It’s beautiful, remember?”

There was silence. On the ground, the night was alive with birds chirping their night song and bugs calling out to each other. But up here there was nothing of the sort, just the silence of the night. Sunset closed his eyes, causing a teardrop to fall onto the cloud he stood on.

“Hey, none of that now. If you cry, I’m going to cry.” In truth, I could feel my eyes well up too. He didn’t open his eyes though. “Alright look. There’s no such thing as hope setting like the sun. Not when you got me anyway.”

That got Sunset’s attention. “Wait. Wha-”

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was under the impression that I was sticking with you. Didn’t you say something really cute about that sort of thing earlier when you were creeping on me on the beach?” I asked, attempting to cheer him up.

“Yeah I-wait…but. Huh?” Sunset tripped so badly over that, it made me laugh.

“What? I thought you were mister confident or something like that. Can’t find the words here?”

Sunset looked back at me with a tear in his eye and a smile on his face. “Yeah, but that was when I didn’t know if you felt the same. Um, do you?”

Oh man he was so cheesy, but then again so was I. Like a cheese sandwich. Is that a thing? “Well that depends.”

“On what exactly?” Oh he was so curious.

“Stuff.” I looked up at the purple-blue hue of the sky. “But tell you what.”

“What?” He asked quickly.

I got really close to his ear. “You can start by taking me back down. I want to feel solid ground under my hooves.”

Clearly that wasn’t what he had wanted me to whisper in his ear, but he smiled anyway. “Alright miss Midnight. Ground floor it is!” He splayed out his wings and took off again, descending back towards the ground at a soft angle.

When we were back on the ground, night had taken over the sky. Leaving only the rising moon and the stars to shine down on Sunset and I. As soon as the yellow Pegasus touched down, I jumped off his back and was instantly relieved to have ground under my hooves again. Oh sweet ground, I will never leave you again. “So, what exactly did all of that mean up there?” Sunset asked while I was figuratively making promises to the ground.

I put on a sly smile and turned to the confused Sunset. “It means what it means.” I said nonchalantly, walking towards him slowly. “So does this.” As I passed the Pegasus by, I gave him a peck on the cheek and continued as if nothing had happened.

Sunset sat there for a moment, endlessly confused and tripping over several different attempts at speaking. “Um, I guess I’ll see you later then?” He asked as I slipped into the tree line.

I didn’t answer though, it was more fun that way.

After a short canter through the dark, I found the empty hollowed out tree that Edge had given to me before. I had to squint in the darkness to see, but the moon was generously full tonight making it rather easy. I slung my back pack to the ground once more and put my glasses on top of it, I then proceeded to make myself as comfortable as possible on the muddy earth below me. It was definitely not the same as the bed that Graham had in his Mission, but it was better than not having ground below me.

I again looked up to the sky in the night, seeing several clouds covering the stars. I was up there just a while ago, but ground was much better than clouds. I could stand on the ground.

Finished contemplating the advantages of ground and walking, I started to count the stars that weren’t hiding behind the clouds. Unlike the time before, I had only made it to fifty-two or so before I drifted off into sleep.

Author's Note:

Graham obviously inspired by Joshua Graham from Fallout: New Vegas: Honest Hearts.
Cheesy romance at the suggestion of a friend.
This is why I don't write romance, I'm terrible at it.
Enjoy!