• Published 18th Nov 2013
  • 390 Views, 2 Comments

Pain - Brother_William



All breakups are difficult. some ponies handle it better than others.

  • ...
 2
 390

Misery

"I-i didn't k-know," the mare said through her tears, "he's a-always been prone to d-depressions, but I didn't think it'd b-be this bad."

She had been sitting in the hospital waiting room for almost three hours after she had been called by the policepony who had stumbled across him. According to the doctors, he had an inch deep cut from his hoof to his shoulder. They said he was lucky; any longer and he would've bled out.

She didn't see how that was lucky. He'd be in the hospital for at least a month, and then he'd be in a psychiatric hospital for a year by court order.

Looking up from her hooves, she saw a nurse walking towards her and quickly wiped away her tears.

"He's awake, though just barely. He won't stop asking to see you, and refuses to sleep until he does. Please come with me."

The nurse turned around and began walking away, the mare quickly following after. They passed several hallways before turning down one marked I.C.. Through one of the windows, the mare saw a unicorn in a full body cast, a bit of purple hair peeking out of the bandages around their head.

Looking away, she followed the nurse until they stopped at a room labeled I.C.U. 8. Opening the door with her hoof, the nurse ushered the mare into the room, closing the door behind her.

The sight that greeted her caused her heart to cringe. Before her was her ex-coltfriend, but he no longer had an electric blue mane and tail or a lusterous midnight black coat. Now, his mane was a pale icy blue and his coat was a dull charcoal gray.

"Hey," he said, his voice dry and raspy, "I'm actually surprised you came."

A brief coughing fit interrupted him, and brought tears to her eyes.

Looking up at her after the coughing subsided, he was surprised by the tears, "I thought you didn't care about me anymore. Why are you crying?"

Another coughing fit racked his body, punishing him for speaking with a sore throat.

"Please stop hurting yourself," she said as she stepped closer, "if it hurts to talk, you don't have to."

He opened his mouth to speak, but was silenced by her hoof on his lips.

"Please. Just relax. You shouldn't strain yourself," tears flowed down her cheeks as she moved her face closer to his, gently placing her lips on his one last time.

She felt a smile spread across his face as his chest stopped moving. She kept her lips pressed to his until a doctor came in and moved her out of the way, shoving her out of the room.

"Starting cheat compressions. Nurse Redheart, fetch me the Defibrillator. And will somepony please shut that door!"

The door closed in the mare's face as she watched the doctor start pushing on the pegasus's chest with his hooves.