• Published 17th Nov 2013
  • 4,871 Views, 0 Comments

Taylor Talker - taywing



Taylor Talker moves to Ponyville from Maretropolis as the new spokesperson for Mayor Mare. What will his new life entail, especially being the socially awkward type he is?

  • ...
 0
 4,871

Prologue: The Night Before the Dawn

Taylor Talker

Prologue: The Night

“I see. So, Winter-Wrap-Up really has picked up pace these past few years,” Taylor Talker stated. It certainly was impressive. If Mayor Mare was right, this “Twilight Sparkle”, now known as “‘Princess’ Twilight Sparkle”, had taken the reigns as all-team-organizer entirely restructured Winter-Wrap-Up. As such, the speed increased from a two and a half days, to about eight hours. “However, why would you want a greater speech now? This increase has been going on for a while, yes?”

Taylor was a marine-blue pegasus with a speech-bubble cutie mark. He was an average pegasus by physical form, though he lacked weather-talent as he had been born in Las Pegasus rather than in Cloudsdale.

“Indeed,” answered Mayor Mare, “but now we have a Princess among us, so I feel it needs to ring of more… prestige?... pride?” The Mayor paused, clearly pondering the best word.

Taylor Talker rubbed his snout at the mention of royalty, a habit he had formed out of pride as a foal whenever he helped somepony. He had just moved to Ponyville earlier that same day, not stopping to speak to anypony as he had business on his mind. He had worked as the announcer for any events that came through town back home, but wanted something more consistent to bring in bits. It didn't hurt that Mayor Mare's offer position also gave him an excuse to escape the city-life.

Taylor had only been pondering the idea as an option when he brought it up to Mayor Mare on her annual visit to discuss politics with the Maretropolis Mayor, which regularly rotated seat-holders. She immediately offered a modest public speaking position as her assistant. Mayor Mare was getting on in years, and her voice could no longer remain strong through a speech as it had through her time in office. Taylor didn't need any more deliberation on the matter. Mayor Mare needed him, which meant a town needed him, and he was always where he was needed.

His devotion to those who needed him stemmed from that day back in basic flight training in Las Pegasus, where he was born. He hadn’t made any close friends. He knew some colts and fillies as pleasant acquaintances, but it never developed beyond that.

However, that day changed all that. Taylor had been absentmindedly flying his laps around the course when he heard a broken, pained noise. He veered to the left of the course to find the cause, and heard an accompanying, angered tone. “… and really, who would blame coach? I’m surprised it took him this long t’a point out ‘cha weird wings, ya freak!” the angry voice attacked. Taylor locked his jaw. Nopony deserves to be talked to like that! Taylor tolerated being talked down to all the time: by his mother, teachers, and even random ponies on the street, but he had always remained silent. He knew that pain, but he was no proud Pegasus if he did nothing about somepony else in that pain. The voices were coming from behind the bleachers, so Taylor flew over the bleachers and dove.

“Gaah!” the voices exclaimed. Taylor saw the two ponies now. A temporary transfer student from Cloudsdale named Thunderlane had been harassing a quiet-but-friendly acquaintance of Taylor’s named Snowflake. Snowflake was trembling, sobs escaping occasionally. Taylor stood between them, facing Thunderlane with defiance.

“That’s enough, Thunderlane!” Taylor stated firmly.

“Well, if it isn’t the wash-out helping the freak! This is priceless! It might be the first time I’ve heard you speak a full sentence to boot!” Thunderlane roared with laughter. Taylor could hear Snowflake stifling a new round of sobs behind him.

“Wash-out”, that’s what most had called Taylor since he started here. He wasn’t particularly good at anything weather-related, so most pegasi looked down on him, but this moment wasn’t about him.

“What gives you the right to call him a freak?” Taylor retorted, his voice raised but confident and stable. “He scored higher than you in the obstacle course every time!” Snowflake was at Taylor’s left side now, though still a bit back. There were signs of a smile trying to form on his face.

“Only cuz it’s all flyin’!” Thunderlane complained. “I’m way better at runnin’!”

“What a proud pegasus you are Thunderlane,” Taylor grinned sarcastically. Snowflake was clearly fighting to restrain a laugh.

“You want to see what gives me the right to call him a freak, wash-out?” Thunderlane made a quick turn and bucked Taylor across the snout. Taylor managed to stay standing even as his nose started bleeding. Thunderlane was aghast when Taylor showed no reaction.

“See, Thunderlane? You can’t even do that much right. That must hurt to hear coming from the ‘wash-out’,” Taylor stated in a matter-of-fact tone. Snowflake had clearly gained confidence and was beaming., although he did seem worried as he kept glancing at Taylor’s bleeding nose.

Thunderlane stuttered before saying, “Whatever. I’ll be heading back to Cloudsdale tomorrow anyway, while you losers will be stuck here.” With that, he turned to fly off before the coach walked into view from the left side of the bleachers. His scowl made evident he had heard every word.

After the teacher took Thunderlane away, Taylor subconsciously placed his hoof on his nose, not from the pain alone, but from knowing that pain meant Snowflake didn’t feel his pain anymore. Snowflake thanked Taylor feverishly before stopping to gawk at Taylor’s backside. Taylor couldn’t help but think he had truly earned the cutie mark that had appeared.

Snowflake transferred soon after, but that day changed both young colts.

“Taylor? Mr. Talker?” Mayor Mare questioned, breaking Taylor’s trance.

Taylor shook his head before responding, “I’m sorry, Mayor. Could your repeat what you said?”

“I said I think we have enough of an outline for you to go with and show me your skill tomorrow,” Mayor Mare responded, chuckling slightly at Taylor’s absentmindedness.

Taylor reviewed their outline before replying, “Perfect.”