• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 1,911 Views, 50 Comments

Colonial Marine in Equestria - Bastinator



Anon is the last survivor of the Platoon sent to a planet called Tranek-5. After activating some sort of device, Private Anonymous , Colonial Marine Rifleman, winds up in Equestria. He tries to move on, but he's not the only foreigner to Equest

  • ...
8
 50
 1,911

Chapter 6: Mobilization

The collar gouges into your shoulders as you continue forward. Your muscles ache as you force yourself to take each step. Applejack struggles right beside you, easing the burden upon you. “How is everything looking up there Dash?”

Rainbow Dash soars from cloud to cloud eyes peeled on the ground below. ”No activity yet.”

“Roger, stay sharp.” The sun begins to rise, casting its brilliance upon Equestria. “The red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night.”

Both of you pick up the pace, hastening your travel back to Ponyville. ”Are we there yet?” Granny Smith asks.

”Nope.” Big Mac mutters, still weakened from his own xenomorph encounter.

“We’ll be there soon Granny, don’t you worry about that.”

”Contact!” Rainbow hollers down.

“Where?”

”Over there!” God dammit Rainbow Dash.

”Ten o’clock!” Sweetie Belle clarifies. Thank god someone knows that terminology. You thrust forward, adrenaline pumping into you. Rainbow begins another strafing run to slow their advance. How can there be so many, and so fast? She continues mowing them down with every run, but it can’t last forever. ”I’m out!” Fucking called it Anon.

“Get back here, we’re swapping.” She lands next to you as you unfasten the collar. “You think you can go fast?”

”Please, Fastest in Equestria remember?” You nestle her into place, tightening her bonds.

“You better prove it.” You toss your empty pulse rifle into the cart and pull out your shotgun. A minigun would be nice right about now.

The cart picks up speed leaving you in a trail of dust. You backpedal down the road as the Xenomorphs approach. Cocking your shotgun, you rest it by your waist. “I like to keep this handy… for close encounters…” Easing on the trigger you fire at the advancing Xenos. Clouds of dirt kick up wherever you miss, the spread making it quite frequent. You fire again at one of the closer aliens and forging a hole clear through its chest.

The survivors back off a bit, acknowledging the threat you pose. Just a bit closer and you could take out another one. Unfortunately, they seem to understand that as well, keeping their distance. They hiss menacingly keeping your undivided attention. You take the opportunity to reload as you slam in another magazine. The tracker keeps pinging away, detecting your attackers. Shifting to the screen, you see there are five in front, and two coming in from either side. “Clever girl.”

You unload both barrels into the first one and whirl around to the second. It reaches you first, knocking your shotgun out of your grasp and pinning you down. Opening its mouth, it reveals a second set of jaws within. Well, fuck my life. I’m out! You pick up a tiny squeal, the creature looking away.

A yellow blur crashes into the xenomorph and throws it back next to its comrades. ”Leave him alone you… you meanies!” A wave of heat hits you as your savior unleashes a crackling inferno on them. The noise drowns out the cries of the aliens as they scurry away from the flames.

You pick yourself up and grab your weapon. Your savior helps you, lifting you up gently with her hooves. ”Are you alright, they didn’t hurt you did they?”

“I’m fine thanks to you. I didn’t think you had it in you Fluttershy.”

She blushes, “I couldn’t have them hurt my friend now could I?”

“I guess not. Again, thanks for the assist.” You wrap your arm around her as you both walk to town, safe at last.

Ponyville is in chaos upon your return. Citizens are in uproar, clamoring about missing children, structural damage and the strange bodies lying around. It’s a wonder that nop0ny awoke during the brawl last night. You find the others back in the town square; Twilight and the Mayor are on stage. ”Citizens of Ponyville. Please remain calm, everything is under control.” They’re trying to maintain order, but you know that the ponies won’t be subdued like this. They want the straight up truth, not generic government garbage. You make your way up to the podium and pull Twilight aside.

”Good to see you’re ok Anon. Things are a real mess here.”

“I can see that. Look, you can’t keep up that speech. It’s only going to bring trouble.” She doesn’t seem to agree, but she’s willing to listen to you.

”What do you have in mind?”

“Tell them the truth, we need everyp0ny to know what we’re up against so we can prepare. You’ve read the research over those things, they’ll be back.” She begrudgingly nods; the xenomorphs aren’t to be trifled with.

”How should I tell them? How could I tell them?” You place your hand on her neck in reassurance.

“I’ll do it. I need you by my side though, it’ll look like I have some authority and they’ll listen.” You walk over to the podium, Twilight and the Mayor by your side. The crowd sits in silence as you begin your speech.

“Citizens of Ponyville, you want the truth? Well, I’m here to speak it. I’m not going to lie to you; we’re all in a Grade A clusterfuck with a side of shit.”

”Anon what are-“

“I almost died about four times last night alone, but from what I hear others weren’t quite as fortunate.” You can hear a few weep in the crowd, the others listening intently.

>”Seriously you can’t ju-“

“We can’t bring back the lost, but we can make sure we don’t lose anymore. I can begin the process, but I need everyp0ny to give me their word that they will see this through to the end.” More silence. They’re too scared to even comprehend what you mean.

”Anon, let me talk to them. I can help them understand.”

“No Ms. Mayor. I’ll be the one who whips them into shape.” You grip the podium and put on your war face.

“The life you knew is gone! Get over it. You want to live? Hell if you want your family and friends to live, then you’ll listen to me. Are you desperate enough to follow me? Will you do what it takes to survive in these harsh times?”

A single p0ny stands up raising a bottle of Applejack Daniels. ”Anon, I’d follow you through the Gates of Tartarus itself!” Bottoms-Up Duff yells as he salutes. Vinyl and Raúl stand up as well, imitating his gesture. One by one, more join them as they each pledge loyalty to the cause. Twilight and the Mayor are perplexed by the event. You look at both of them.

“Have some faith.” This is going to be a large undertaking, probably more so than anything they’ve dealt with before. You turn back to the sea of ponies that stand ready to follow you. “We are all in this together, for better or worse, but I swear we’ll survive this. Be ready for further instruction, Anon out.” You motion the rest of your group to the town hall. “This’ll serve as our temporary HQ, so let’s get cracking.”

You all join the mayor in mulling over the map of Ponyville. ”We could stay here as our central hub and funnel supplies through the streets.”

“Negative. This place has too many entry points, plus it’s on its last leg as it is.”

”What about food?” Applejack asks, “Sweet Apple Acres was one of the town’s only sources.”

“And it still is, we can work the fields by day, but we’ll need an armed escort at all times.” You continue bickering back and forth with several ideas floating aground before finally coming down to a single plan. We decide to have the women and children pack up their belongings and leave. All ponies that can’t fight or have kids were to be evacuated to Canterlot. The remaining units would garrison various strategic locations around Ponyville. Movement by road is a risk we couldn’t take, so each location would be connected by a series of underground tunnels. The central chamber would be our HQ. From there we’d coordinate all operations within the town. You only have a vague outline of the plan, but it’ll have to do.

The others leave to inform everyp0ny about their tasks, leaving you alone with your thoughts. Well, almost alone. You look up at the cloaked figure one the upper floor, watching you and your friends. It has gotten easier to detect its presence, mainly because it always seems to follow you. It feels like the guardian angel that never actually protects you, observing you at all times. The creature could’ve killed you at any point since you got here, but if it was going to do so, you’d be dead already. You stand up and sling the shotgun behind your back. Giving it a brief nod of acknowledgement you exit the hall, following your friends.

Ponies flood the train station, each eager to find escape from the madness. Rarity and Pinkie Pie maintain order and usher them along. Twilight is showing the buildings she wants garrisoned to a group of ponies. Fluttershy is comforting some of the ponies whose friends and families have been reported as missing. AJ and RD are already getting to work on the tunnels, dirt and grim coating their manes. Everyp0ny is hard at work now, except for you. You pick up a shovel and join Applejack and Rainbow Dash. There’s a lot of work ahead of you.

You slave on, driving your way through the cold dirt. Twilight could’ve finished what’s taken you hours in minutes. A flurry of purple claws clears out the passage ahead of you, Spike popping his head through. “Nice one you got the whole passage cleared?”

”Yep. By the way, Twilight wanted to talk to you in that big room.”

“Thanks, I’ve got some ponies back there that could use your help.” He nods and the two of you part ways. These halls are just big enough for you to walk in if you hunch over, otherwise you’ll have to crawl.

After winding about a series of tunnels you enter a vast circular room. This is by far the most complete room thus far, and you can see why. Rarity is at the far side of the room sprucing it up. You stretch your arms, enjoying the extra space. Those cramped tunnels aren’t the homiest you’ve been in. Twilight, situated at the center table, looks up from her map and ushers you over. “I heard you were looking for me, what’s up?”

”Yes I was. Care to take a walk?”

“Ummm. Sure I guess.” Her horn begins to glow, transporting the both of you back outside.

The two of you stroll about in the daylight, watching the remaining ponies as they carry on with their duties. ”This place feels so empty now. So many have left, it’s just not the same.”

“What’s wrong Twilight? We’re not here to talk about others are we?” The both of you take a seat nearby, relaxing for the time being. She looks sets her sight on you before turning back away.

”I’m scared Anon.”

You knew this was going to happen. Too much shit too fucking fast. You pat at her neck, trying to calm her down. “We’ll make it through this.”

”How do you know that?” She snaps at you completely out of character.

“Because I believe we can.”

She mutters to herself, “I’m sure your team thought so too.”

Twilight couldn’t have said that. She wouldn’t dare. “What did you just say?” She doesn’t say a word, staring away from you. “Answer me, what the fuck did you just say?”

”I said your team thought so too.” If you were any other marine she’d be on the ground by now, but you’re not any other marine.

“My team… they didn’t know what they were walking into. We do.” You stroke her mane and try to be as comforting as possible. “We know the stakes, and I know the game. You see these ponies?” You point to those who remained behind to protect their home. “They’re just as scared as you are, but they’re staying strong. Do you know why?” Twilight shakes her head. “It’s because they believe in you, and so do I. These people need a leader to keep them in line, and that leader is you Twilight.”

”No Anon, I’m not.” She looks directly at you, “You are.”

“Stop kidding yourself, you’re not getting out of this one.”

”I’m serious. They look up to you, not me.”

Fuck, this is what she wanted to talk about. You shift tone to be more serious. “No can do Twi. I’m a soldier first, leader last.”

”You were there when you rallied up all of Ponyville. Anon did that, not Twilight or Mayor Mare.”

“No Twilight, I’m not doing it. I’m an advisor at best. You’re a natural leader, and that’s what we want right now.”

”Have you not heard what everyp0ny has been talking about?”

“I try not to take part in mindless gossip.” Your insistent denial is flustering Twilight.

”They know that you put me in charge, and they don’t think I’m qualified. Worst of all, I agree.” She’s not going to give up on this. She’ll give command to someone else regardless; it might as well be you. You rub your temples with your fingers, fighting off the coming headache.

“What’s the first thing on the list?” Her smile is a nice change of pace from the typical gloom. Twilight’s horn begins to glow.

”You.” The both of you reappear at HQ, the rest of the mane 6 waiting for you. ”He said yes girls.” They breathe a sigh of release. So they all knew what Twilight had in mind. Typical.

“Then what’s second on the list?” You say to Twilight.

She rolls out a nearby map and points out Ponyville. ”Well, we have the initial structure laid out, but we don’t know where to proceed from there.”

”What are we going to do now?” Pinkie asks.

“Finalize preparations my dear Pinkie Pie.”

“The first order of business is to go over any concerns or problems we may encounter. I’ll start by saying that we need a team who’ll be tasked for scavenging for food, mainly from Sweet Apple Acres. Applejack knows those fields best, so I throw my bid in for her. You up for it?”

”Gotcha covered Anon.” AJ replies.

”And what about the ponies themselves?” Twilight continues, “This entire situation has thrown us all for a loop.”

“So you’re talking about morale? I recall Fluttershy doing a fair bit of counseling when I came out of the hall. Care to continue that?”

Fluttershy begins to back away, hiding her head behind her mane. ”Oh, I couldn’t… That was just umm…”

“You’re very important to us Fluttershy, we need that kind heart of yours.” You can only barely hear her reuluctance, but you’re just happy she said yes, s you give her a little hug to grant her solace. “Pinkie, you’re on morale detail too, you can never have too much.”

”Okie Dokie Lokie!”

“Anything else we need to cover?”

Rarity clears her throat, gaining everyone’s attention. ”Well, I’m sure about the rest of you are content with the present situation, but this place is absolutely dreadful. How can you expect a lady to live in such conditions?”

“Not good enough for you Rarity? That can be your job, tidying this hole up. We get outfitted quarters, and you don’t have to wear a hazmat suit everywhere.”

”With pleasure, someone has to stand against this travesty.”

Twilight goes down her list, ticking off things one at a time, even double checking her double checks. ”So that covers everything with Ponyville itself, correct?” The mane 6 looks at each and silently agrees.

“Now… What are we going to do about the main threat, these Xenomorphs?”

”I say we go on the offensive, strike back at them!” Rainbow answers.

”Sorry Rainbow Dash, but we don’t even know where they are.” Twilight counters.

“Twilight would be correct on that account. Any party we send out would be fruitless, plus we can’t waste that type of manpower.” You remember that the princess was investigating before everything turned to shit, maybe she could help.

“Did Princess Celestia every reply to my message Twilight?”

Twilight smacks her head. ”I completely forgot about that,” she states pulling a scroll out of her bag. You grab it out of the air and read it.

“Dear Anon, I apologize for the lengthy reply, yadda yadda yadda…” You keep reading, sifting through the over friendly BS. “I have not yet ascertained the location of the creatures from the temple. Big fucking help she is.” You toss the letter back to Twilight who reads it herself.

”She says she sent a large portion of her guard to the Everfree forest, why not start there?”

If there was another level of facepalm, it’d be strong enough to blow a hole through fucking steek, alas, she doesn’t seem to understand the gesture. “How big is the Everfree Forest Twilight?”

”Well if you want to get technical-“

“It’s pretty fucking big. Am I right guys?” The others nod in approval. “I’m not wasting precious hoofpower when someone else is willing to do the job for me.”

”So what else are we going to do about the Xenowhatevers then?” Rainbow includes.

“We need someone to lead the groups when I’m not around. So who will it be?”

”I’ll do it for ya,” Applejack shouts out, ready for some additional revenge.

“I appreciate the enthusiasm, but you’re going to have your hands full with the food supply. You’ll get your chance don’t worry.”

”Then who the hay is going to do it?”

You look at them wondering who’s still free. A smile grows on your face when you figured it out. “You up for the challenge Rainbow Dash, or is that a bit much to ask?”

She snarls in response, “No challenge is too great for the fastest flier in Equestria.”

“Pompous as ever, glad to hear it.”

”I am going to need some more of that magazine stuff you had on you though.”

“Roger. Now, that brings us to the last order of business. My shit.”

”Now’s not the time for that Anon.” Why is Twilight so smart but so fucking stupid at the same time?

“My guns, I mean my guns.”

”Oh those, of course.”

“I have a decent stash of weapons back at my house. There should be enough to equip the garrisons at least.”

Dash seems to get where you’re headed. ”Let’s start passing them out then.” Or not.

“It’s not that simple Dashie, the ones I gave you all were modified so you could use them. The ones at my house aren’t the same.”

”Why not just modi-, mudifu- buck it, change them like the others?”

“Twilight was the one who performed the change, and I don’t know how long that would take.”

Twilight takes this time to jut in, ”Now that I know what to do I could alter any others fairly easily. I just need my tools and a place to work.” Thank the lord for repetition.

“Fucking brilliant. I’ll need you to get on that immediately, the sooner we have these guys trained in basic firearm use the better.” You place your hand in the middle of the table. “If we’re going to do this, we’re going to have to work at our best. You with me?”

”Back to back forever,” Rainbow puts her hoof in.
”Through thick and thin,” Applejack follows.
”Preferably thin,” Rarity comments.
”For my friends,” Fluttershy says proudly.
”Stick a cupcake in my eye,” Pinkie gives her signature promise.
”For Ponyville,” Twilight finalizes.

“Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.”

They all look a bit confused, Rainbow Dash starting to speak, “What does-“

“Don’t spoil the moment.”

Each of you departs, gathering up their individual teams to complete their tasks. You take the time to check in on each garrison. The school house acts as your perimeter guard, alerting the others when trouble approaches. The bell tower rings when anyone sets their sights on a Xeno. Rainbow Dash assigned a patrol rotation of available fliers to act as perimeter guards. The café, hardware store and Railway are a few minor points that we hold. Each still serving a significant purpose. However, your magnum opus of garrisons is none other than Vinyl’s nightclub. It’s by far the most secure location in Ponyville, made from Grade A Equestrian concrete and steel. HQ rests directly beneath it. The only entrance being a trap door from behind the DJ’s stand.

You work your way back to the school house, climbing up to the bell tower. Rainbow Dash is at the top watching the sun’s steady descent. “Beautiful isn’t it?” She’s startled by your sudden appearance, but still welcoming to you. “Or would that be to girly for you to say?”

”Unique would be more fitting.”

“Quite.” You both stand there beside each other sharing the moment.

”Do you really think we’re going to make it through this?” She never pegged you as the type that would worry. That in itself worries you.

“No, I don’t think we will.” Any confidence she had left drained at your words. “I know we will.”

She clocks you in the face with her hoof, totally worth it. ”You’re such a… what’d you call it again? Asshole?”

“Don’t let any fillies catch you saying that. Scootaloo’s learned enough from you already.

”What can I say; I have that affect on people.” You wrap your arm around her and hold her tightly. You’re not going to let anything happen to her, you swear it. The sun begins to disappear behind the horizon, its glow starting to fade. Its times like this that you remember in the long run. “The suns going down…” You crack a smile, not wasting such an opportunity. “Better drink my own piss.”

”Why woul-“

“Stop ruining my moments, Rainbow Dash. Now come on, someone needs to teach you to actually land a hit with that rifle.”