• Published 15th Nov 2013
  • 2,864 Views, 40 Comments

Of A Princess & A Pirate - Renegade3299



Luna loved him. He loved her. But he was a lowly peasant and their love was forbidden. When he left, he became a fearless pirate. Centuries later, he returns to Luna with wealth & power. But will everypony welcome him? More importantly, will she?

  • ...
3
 40
 2,864

Book 1, Chapter 6: Pride & Payments

Blackmane sat at his desk in his cabin, writing down the events that had just taken place- the raid and recapture of an important fort, which would lead to a substantial payment. After he had finished, he then opened his personal journal and quietly spoke to himself as he wrote an entry.

"The crew and I reclaimed a fort for Bridleton this evening, and we will be receiving a large payment from the Governor. It was actually a close call tonight, but we pulled through- all thanks to Maelstrom, who once again, proved himself to be a great help to fend of any hindrance. We were surely outnumbered, but when it seemed like we were done for, Maelstrom moved with lightning quick speed, eliminating at least fifteen extra bandits in a matter of seconds. Then, a large group of reinforcements could be seen heading toward us. A group that seemed to large to belong to belong to a group of bandits- but so largem that we could not have possibly taken them- they outnumbered us far too greatly. But as luck would have it, the group was quickly struck by a bolt of lightning. The ground shook with the rumbling of the thunder that followed, but strangely, not one crew member felt any shock from the lightning. A couple of them survived, but Maelstrom grabbed two daggers and threw them at the bandits, sending them to the ground in the blink of an eye. The fort was then set to be reclaimed. Maelstrom is indeed, a very uncanny and interesting stallion."

"I have made a decision, one that I did not make lightly. Tonight, I am officially appointing Maelstrom as second-in-command of this ship. Most, perhaps even all of our contracts have been either made easy by something that Maelstrom had done to assist us... or whenever we get caught in a bad situation, Maelstrom has always been there to pull us out of it. He has saved our skins more than I, or any of the crew, can count. He can operate the ship as if it were the back of his hoof. He completes tasks with ease, in much quicker timing than any ordinary pony could. And he's certainly lived up to the name we gave him. Many a storm has fallen upon us, and each one that we get caught in, Maelstrom takes the helm and guides us to safety. No other sailor that I know of, not even myself, can do some of the things he can do. Sometimes, it even seems like the weather itself can be controlled by Maelstrom. I would not doubt it if that were the case."

Blackmane paused, thinking something over before writing it down as well.

"I am actually beginning to wonder if he is the pony of an the old prophecy I was told about years back. Though I don't know all of it, and I only know a few lines of the prophecy's poetic form- but it is very uncanny that he fits the few lines I know of."

The prophecy he spoke of was a legend that he'd discovered he was apparently part of. The Captain had spent a few years collecting what information he could about this prophecy. Most ponies did not believe in legends, prophecies and the like, but Blackmane was a firm believer.

He recalled back to the days when he'd been first been named Captain and he'd first been told about the old legend. Shortly into his first days as a captain, he had met and spoken with a zebra shaman, who had told him that he would one day meet a young stallion with uncanny abilities for anything to do with the sea. The shaman had told him that this pony would be the one to fulfill a very old prophecy. In fact, it was so old, that most of it had been forgotten. Even the zebra only knew bits and pieces, but she gladly gave what information she knew to Blackmane, in order to help him with the ancient tale.


Coming out of his thoughts, he opened a drawer on his desk, pulling out the old book that the young zebra mystic had given him. Many pages were faded or missing, but there was some solid information in there. Upon opening it, his eyes fell to the part about the island. A hidden island where one could find the gift of immortality. He'd spent a few years collecting what he knew about the island- because even though most peope regarded it as a legend, it was in fact real- but of course, nopony knew where this island was. The book once had a charted map that led to it, but it had been torn out of the book long ago and scattered across the known world, for whatever reason.

As the legend went, only one pony would ever find this island. And that pony would be the one to fulfill the prophecy. Could it be Maelstrom? Turning a few pages and eventually coming across a small sheet of parchment that he'd found a couple of years back. On it were the few lines of a poem that detailed the prophecy- but these were the only lines he, or anypony else, knew at the time.

It is spoken of he who was born on the sea,
Born into hope, but in poverty.
He who would love a maiden most fair,
But inspired her father's anger to flare.
The k-

The poem ended at that small section, but looking over it, Blackmane knew that all of these few lines had been recounted to him by Maelstrom when he had told him about his past. And as luck...or fate, would have it, Maelstrom did have exceptional skill, almost eerily exceptional skill, when it came to the seas. Just as the zebra had told him. Coincidence? Blackmane was sure that this was no such thing.

"But what is the prophecy?" Blackmane wondered aloud to himself, musing on what the rest of the old poem could possibly be about.

Eventually, the Captain decided that he would ponder more on this later. For now, it was time to get going, so he put all of the journals, books and logs into their right places and exited his cabin. Maelstrom stood on the deck of the ship, looking at the enemy's fort as it disappeared from sight. Blackmane joined him, patting him heartily on the shoulder while they sailed away, a large amount of gold now safely below deck.

"Another fort, another payment." Blackmane commented as he sighed. "Great job tonight, Maelstrom."

For about eight months now, the crew of the Sea's Fury had been getting more and more contracts, each one increasing with higher payouts. Blackmane's crew had quickly risen in ranks, eventually becoming the top crew, the Governor's most trusted privateers. When Governor Chevalier had learned that the group of bandits had been stealing money and valuables from differing villages, he immediately sent word to Blackmane. The Captain was more than happy to clear out the fort.

It had been a battle that lasted the entire night, but the privateers emerged victorious. The bandits had been cut down and/or imprisoned, the gold had been secured for Bridleton, and the fort was now reoccupied by a company of Bridleton's soldiers. The payout for this skirmish was going to be more than substantial- each crew member would be recieving all of the gold and other treasures that the bandits had taken over time. All they had to do was report it to Governor Chevalier, and they were set.

"It's been quite an experience so far, Captain." Maelstrom said, "I can't thank you enough for taking me in."

"Ain't nothin' to it, lad." Blackmane replied, "This crew was formed out of nothin' but hard-workin' ponies who needed money, and through ambition, bravery and honest work, we've made a pretty penny in the last year or so."

Blackmane then approached the helm and summoned the crew to his attention. Maelstrom looked up at his captain, wondering what he had to say.

"Tonight, I have a very important announcement to make." Blackmane began, "Let me start by saying that everypony did a fantastic job in reclaimin' the fort. But furthermore- ye all know that Maelstrom has once again pulled us through what could'a been death fer all of us. He's done this on several occasions with raw, unexplainable talent with the ship, and I know that I speak fer everypony here when I say that we sometimes can't help but marvel at his abilities. In just a year's time, he's gone from bein' just above a stowaway, to bein' the most talented privateer on this ship. Fer that, I have given much thought on this matter, and I know that this is the right thing to do. Maelstrom, would ye please join me?"

The pony nodded, walking up the steps and standing beside the captain.

"Gentlecolts, I hereby declare Maelstrom to be second-in-command of the Sea's Fury! All in favor, let yer voice be heard!"

"Aye!" came the voice of every smiling stallion of the crew.

"Then so be it! Maelstrom, ye are hereby placed as second-in-command of the Sea's Fury. With yerr help, this ship and this crew will surely make its way to greatness!"


The crew cheered their approval and praise before returning to their duties, while the captain and the ecstatic new second-in-command stood at the bridge. Maelstrom sighed with content.

"Thank you, Captain Blackmane." Maelstrom spoke in high gratitude.

"It's nothin', Maelstrom. And no need to call me Captain, anymore. It's just Blackmane to ye."

It had been just over a year now, since he was welcomed into the crew. Though a dark past led up to this, he would not have traded it for anything. All of the pains and torments we had been put through seemed to vanish whenever he saw the gold that belonged to him. Within a couple of years, he would be back in Equestria and his beloved Luna would be back in his arms. He couldn't help but smile at the thought of this. Blackmane spoke in confirmation to his thoughts.

"Aye, lad... this is the life. May in never change."

Of course, neither of them knew of what lay ahead for them in the near future.

************

Two weeks passed, and the day came where the ship docked in the harbor near the Governor's estate. Blackmane and his crew eagerly made their preparations to meet Governor Chevalier. But when they made their way out on deck, they were greeted by soldiers led by a yellow Pegasus stallion they had never before seen.

"Gentlecolts," the Pegasus addressed, "I am Commodore Brass Flaw. I will be seeing you to the Governor."

The crew was puzzled by this, as Governor Chevalier had never before introduced them to this stallion, let alone have them escorted to his place. Regardless, Blackmane nodded and followed the Commodore and the crew of soliders. Maelstrom and High Tide tagged alongside their captain as they walked through the streets, making their way to the mansion's gates. The guards stood at attention as the Commodore stated the matter of business at hoof.

"The crew of the Sea's Fury, here to meet the Governor."

Nodding, the guards opened the gates. The rest of the solders remained at the gates while the three privateers followed the Pegasus through the mansion's doors, up the stairs and down the hall which led to Chevalier's office. Upon entering the room, Blackmane and his two most trusted privateers were very surprised to see that the pony sitting in the chair was not Chevalier. Unlike Brass Flaw, however, they had seen this pony several time before- a white Unicorn stallion with a dark red mane. They had seen this stallion on several occasuibs when speaking with Chevalier- he was the Governor's personal assistant. They had never made much conversation with him, so it went without saying that they were confused as to why he was behind Chevalier's desk.

"Ah, Captain Blackmane, so good to see you!" the Unicorn addressed before looking to Brass Flaw, "Thank you for bringing them here, Commodore."

"Of course, Governor Moneyburn."

"Governor!?" all three privateers shouted at once.

"Wh...where's Chevalier?" Maelstrom asked, speaking aloud for all of them.

"All in due time, gentlecolts." Moneyburn answered the three in a casual tone. "First off, did you recover the gold from Fort Triumph?"

"Uh... aye, we did." Blackmane stuttered, unsure what to make of all this.

"Excellent!" Moneyburn exclaimed, arising from his seat. "Guards, would you please go to the docks and bring the gold here?"

Two guards at the door nodded firmly before opening the door, exiting and shutting it behind them, leaving Moneyburn, Brass Flaw and the privateers in the room.

"Now, while we await the guards, I suppose I should fill you in on what has taken place." Moneyburn said as he casually paced the room with a smug grin, not even bothering to make eye contact with the three privateers.

"Last week, Chevalier passed away in when he came down with pneumonia. The morning that he passed, I was at his bedside with him. He told me that he would depart from this world a happy and content pony. There was one thing, however- he told me that his work was unfinished, and that he left it up to me to continue it."

"What work?" Maelstrom inquired.

"As you know gentlecolts, these waters are ridden with battles nearly every day. Differing regions taking valuable items from one another, things that don't belong to them. You may not have noticed it in the past, but Governor Chevalier had grown very weary of it. He longed for the day that lands and regions no longer fought, where it was safe for a ship to sail through the seas without fear of being attacked by a different land. Where trade could easily thrive between regions and kingdoms. Gentlecolts, this friction between all these lands must come to an end, and that task has come upon me to do so. Chevalier appointed me Governor, and he asked me to carry this legacy. And so I shall."

At this point, the guards walked in with a chest of the treasure that had been reclaimed.

"Excellent work." Moneyburn commented, "But I'll be needing the rest of it as well."

"Ye WHAT!?" Blackmane exclaimed in surprise, shocked at hearing that their payment would be going to the Governor.

"Yes, I'm afraid that in order to make this possible, I will be needing as much gold as possible." Moneyburn casually replied.

"But we took down that fort!" High Tide countered, "And Governor Chevalier said that we could have what the bandits had stolen! He said that he was only concerned with reclaiming the fort!"

"Yes, but that was Chevalier's terms." the Governor said, "I, however, need the gold in order to fund the means to put an end to these wars."

"With all due respect, sir," Blackmane spoke, "We did reclaim that fort for ye, and we are employed by the land of Bridleton. Lawfully, we must be paid for our work."

"True enough." Moneyburn said and approached his desk, taking a quill and parchment and writing down the ship's take. "And for that, I will be paying the amount of five hundred in gold."

"Five hundred apiece?" Maelstrom asked, to which the Governor chuckled.

"Of course not." he responded, "Five hundred for the crew."

"But sir! That's not nearly enough to each of us to fend for ourselves!" Blackmane nearly shouted.

"That's why you take as many contracts as you can." Moneyburn said, signing the payment slip and giving it to Blackmane, who barely held it at all. "The more you do, the more you'll earn, it's as easy as that. Now, Commodore- please see these men out."

Brass Flaw nodded, escorting away the privateers, who were shocked in hearing about Chevalier's passing, and angry with the miniscule payment they'd just received.

"Give me a day or so, men, and I'll have another contract for you!" Moneyburn said smugly as they went through the doorway, "After all, you are the best privateers Bridleton has! Just remember- I have no hard feelings, I just need the gold to stop this pointless fighting between lands!"

Once the privateers had left and Brass Flaw had shut the door, Moneyburn slumped down behind his desk.

"You think they bought it?" he asked.

"It seemed like they did." Brass Flaw answered.

"Marvelous." Moneyburn grinned, "As long as we keep this a secret, nopony will know. And soon, you and I will be the richest stallions in the entire known world!"