• Published 27th Nov 2013
  • 335 Views, 3 Comments

Mountain Vacation - Spirit 0f Chaos



Vinyl and Octavia go on a trip in the mountains together. Just Vinyl, Octavia, and a week alone in the mountains together. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
 3
 335

The Train Ride

The sun was rather high in the sky as the Equestrian Land Transportation Express- known colloquially and affectionately as the “Friendship Express”- idled at the Ponyville station. A few ponies milled about the platform, but per usual the station was rather dead by other cities’ standards.

Octavia stood in the shade of the veranda while Vinyl chatted up a stallion that had appeared a few minutes ago. Their luggage was stacked beside her, leaned precariously against a nearby pole. Missing from the pile was the distinctive shape of her own cello, something she had dearly wished she had brought. Her previous arguments of weight and distraction from spending time with her friend seemed feeble and hollow in the midst of standing and listening to Vinyl’s (to her ears) comical flirts.

Sighing, she dug into her saddlebags and pulled out the book she had brought with her. It was one of the renowned Daring Do novels- not her typical cup of tea, but she had been intrigued nonetheless. While she didn’t care as much for the action sequences, she did find the character and personal life of the mythical adventurer to be extremely engaging. It was something she regarded as something of a guilty pleasure- especially when she had discovered others’ personal tales of the heroin’s more… intimate encounters. She shuddered, wishing she had never found those stories.

Just as she finished the telling of Daring’s escape from the Crystal Isle she heard the telltale whistle of the train announce its imminent departure. She stowed the book in her saddlebag and readied herself to board just as Vinyl bid goodbye to the stallion and came back to her side, giggling slightly. Rolling her eyes, she grabbed the nearest bag and pulled it behind her to the train. A unicorn staff member noticed her and graciously used his own magic to assist her. She smiled and nodded her thanks before boarding.

The two friends chose a bench near the back of the car and settled on the seats just as the train began to lurch forward. Vinyl took off her shades and placed them inside her saddlebags before sighing and leaning back against the bench. “This is gonna be great Octy. Just me, you, and a whole week in the mountains together.” Something seemed to jog her memory and she rummaged in her saddlebag for a minute before producing a camera. “Oh, and I got this so we could take pictures of the whole thing!” She fiddled with the device for a moment and then leaped over to sit beside Octavia. “Let’s get one right now! The start of our trip together!”

Octavia smiled despite herself. “Very well, let’s start it off.” She shifted so both of them would be in the frame.

Vinyl returned and the smile and put a hoof around her friend, levitating the camera in front of them. “Ok, say cheese!” They both did and the camera flashed, taking the first picture of their week-length journey.

After the picture, Vinyl returned to her seat and pulled out a pair of headphones. Octavia could hear the pounding music much like their dishwasher from across the space separating them and shook her head to herself. She briefly considered pulling out her book again, but she decided against it. Tuning out the music as best she could, she rested her head on her hooves and let the train rock her to sleep.

After checking to make sure Octavia was asleep, Vinyl turned off her music and reached into her saddlebag once more, this time taking out a very well- kept secret on her part. She had made sure to keep it hidden from her housemate as long as they had known each other- an impressive feat considering how long a time that was. Octavia wasn’t the spiteful type, but she knew the grey mare wouldn’t let her hear the end of it if she ever found out about this.

Pulling a pen out along with the book, she began to write.

Dear Diary,

Me and Octy started on our trip today. Man am I excited! We haven’t had a real vacation together since that trip to Los Pegasus years ago when we were still barely out of fillyhood. That was a really weird trip, and it’s a good thing Octy doesn’t remember most of it.

Anyways, we’re on the train right now, and she’s already fallen asleep. Wish I could sleep as easily as she does on trains- the shaking is too much for me to relax. She seems to be able to relax anywhere! Must have to do with that music she listens to. I don’t care for it much, but it is pretty relaxing.

Also, note to self- get a new phone before talking to stallions. I don’t know what I was thinking when I threw my last one in the fireplace.

Satisfied, Vinyl stowed the pen and book back in her bag and donned her headphones and shades once more. Smiling when the music resumed, she settled in for the rest of the trip.

Author's Note:

Short chapters... the bane of my writing existence. Why must my mind be so painfully compartmentalized?!