• Published 9th Jan 2014
  • 634 Views, 12 Comments

Creationism - Sollace



A mystery wrapped in an enigma. Twilight Sparkle and her friends find themselves in unknown surroundings, some are trapped, others are lost. They cannot remember what happened, where they were going, what they were doing.

  • ...
3
 12
 634

Prologue: There was nothing

There was nothing, an infinite expanse extending outwards onto itself; emptiness.

For a time this nothingness remained, for a short time, a long time, somewhere in-between. That is until an idea emerged. A thought by an unseen presence, this idea drifted across the infinite expanse taking on solid form, the first and only thing to exist.

Bringing with it something; from a single pin-prick of light the idea expands. It pushes aside the nothingness, ushering in the pure white of its own light. The whiteness giving way to a grey din, from which emerges the first discernible forms. Multitude pin-pricks of light become clear upon the darkening blackness.

The presence awes at the expansive beauty in all its wonder. Yet feels there is still something missing. Turning its attention towards a lifeless rock drifting nearby, the presence decides that there should be others to admire this view.

A lone star from far off and a small chunk from the planet are taken up and set in motion circling the world. They will provide the crucial timing for this land, defining the differences between night and day. He then brings himself down to the surface and, with yet another thought where there was once merely a presence, now stands a lone creature, made distinct by its mismatched features. Thinking to himself; the creature takes a seat on a nearby stone.

Now that I have a body, it is only fitting that I give myself a name.

The creature strokes his small tuft of a beard. But now what shall it be? Drag—, the creature dismisses the idea. No. That won’t do. Dragon sounds too ferocious, that most certainly wouldn’t fit.

But I do like how it sounds... The creature shuffles uncomfortably on the hard rock.

Perhaps if I mix it up a bit, like Dracon, Dracone, or even—

A smile spreads across the creatures face as the perfect name forms in his mind.

Draconequus.

The creature springs to his feet throwing his arms into the air, proclaiming to the world, “I am Draconequus.”

His deep baritone voice sends the words echoing across the barren landscape, unheard by the lifeless rocks.

Draconequus looks around at the empty world. “Now it is time that this land became more than just a pitiful lifeless rock.” With a tap of his hoof a spider web of cracks spread out from where the creature stands, widening and deepening into steep trenches as they encircle the world. From deep within the earth, countless clouds of steam burst forth; the starry blackness giving way to a deep blue sky.

Gushing from the open crevices, come next the torrents of water. The world is left covered deep in oceans, still, their mirrored surface perfectly reflecting the skies above.

The calm only lasts for a moment, as towering spires of rock emerge from the depths. They shift and collide, once again forming solid ground. Then, with a wave of his claw, Draconequus grinds the rocky landscape into pliable fertile soil.

Now with his paw, Draconequus bids life to spring forth from the soils. Desolate plains give way to peaceful meadows, all manner of creatures roam the land, forests, and lakes. Taking contentment in his new surroundings he decides that this new realm shall be called Equestria.

Taking up the raw materials in both his paw and claw, he creates now sentient creatures to rule over this new land. From the rocks of the mountains come forth the Earth ponies, to be unrivalled in their strength and endurance. From the cooling breeze the Pegasi are formed, with their mastery of the skies and the greatest capacity for loyalty. Finally from the light of the burning sun, the Unicorns are born. Thus far the most powerful of the three races, with command over the very laws of nature itself.

Tired from his endeavours Draconequus takes refuge in observing his creations, watching as they form their simple societies, taking care not to intervene in their struggles.


Through the years Draconequus has begun to grow lonely. He is envious of the ponies’ simple existence, with their friends and families to care for and console them in their time of need. He longed for another like himself. One who might understand him, and could keep him company in his ever relenting existence.

With these matters heavy in his heart Draconequus turns once more to the mountains. From there he attains a statue not too dissimilar from his own form. With all his strength Draconequus pulls forth from his own body a small part of his essence.

Turning the small jewel over in his hands Draconequus observes how it catches the light. Seemingly satisfied, Draconequus then turns to the statue and places the jewel firmly upon its breast. With a slight press, the jewel sinks into the surface as it were no harder than butter. As the jewel passes, the stone quickly closes in behind it leaving the surface unmarred by the jewels entry.

With a shudder and a deafening crack, a blinding light spreads across the statue. A burst of wind whips up a cloud of dust around the base of the figure. Upon the clouds dispersion, where there was once but a lifeless stone figure now stands revealed, living, breathing, a being almost identical to its creator but for the difference in size.

Draconequus looks down upon his creation beaming with pride. Extending his arms in preparation for a warm embrace, he exclaims “Welcome, my son!”

The young creature simply looks up at his father, a mischievous glint visible against the stark yellow of his eye.

Just loud enough to be heard, he utters, “Please, call me Discord.”