• ...
3
 6
 1,596

The Fob Watch

“A Timelord? What in Equestria is a “Timelord?” Rarity questioned The Doctor, who pocketed his Sonic.

“A Time Lord. A lord of time. A time traveller. I’m from another universe.”

“Another universe? That’s absurd.”

“Yes, so absurd it just has to be true, right?” The Doctor looked at Rarity, who returned an unpleased glare. “No? Well, I guess I’ll just have to prove it to you then.” The Doctor stepped back to his TARDIS and opened it. “Step inside” he motioned Rarity in.

“Why should I trust you?”

“Because you’re curious?”

“... Right then.” Rarity poked her head inside the box and gasped. “It’s... It’s bigger on the inside! That doesn’t make any sense!”

“About as much sense as a Timelord from another universe, right?”

“Rarity withdrew from the TARDIS and glared at The Doctor. Her general unamused face sank into an expression of submission.

“Fine, I’ll trust you. What was that you said about my world being in grave danger?”

“Oh! Right, that. Well, basically, your world is in grave danger.”

“Yes, I gathered that.” She frowned, in an annoyed fashion.

“Yes, I’ll bet you’re expecting an explanation.” Rarity nodded. “Of course, that’s a perfectly rational response given the situation. Alright, I’ll get you up to speed. I don’t know what’s going on at all. You are now up to speed.”

“Oh, well THAT was enlightening.”

“Yes. Moving right along, I’ll need help, I need to blend in for a while.”

“Oh yes, you’re going to fit in MARVELOUSLY.”

“Okay, Ponies know sarcasm, good to know.” Rarity huffed and turned her head. “Well, there is a way I could blend in... But I’m hoping to save that for a last resort.”

“You’re a peculiar sort of... Timelord was it?”

“Yes, Timelord, lord of time, Chronarch if you prefer. I don’t hear that term a lot, Chronarch. I kinda like it. Gender-neutral too!”

“For Equestria being in grave danger, you’re awfully peppy.”

“Well, you get used to the whole ‘impending doom’ thing after a while.”

“So this is normal for you?”

“Oh yes, of course. Now... I’ve seen a lot of cracks in time lately, but not quite like this. This wasn’t as much of a crack as a well made incision...”

“What are you rambling about?”

“A crack... Or incision in space and time. Something wanted to get through to the other world... Or something wanted to get into this world, hard to tell really?”

“Why would anything want to do either of those things?”

“Hard to tell really. Probably something big, something powerful, something... Brilliant...”

“What, anything in mind?”

“No... Well, sort of. It’s complicated. A gap like that wasn’t really... Accessible.”

“What ever do you mean?”

“If something wanted to get out of this universe... Or, into it, they would need a more accessible crack, one a living creature could actually travel through.”

“Then what’s the point of a crack like that?”

“... To attract attention.” The Doctor turned and hurried into his TARDIS, pulling the door behind him.

“Oh no you don’t!” Rarity stopped the door with her hoof. “You’re not leaving me behind. I am FAR too involved now to just walk away.”

“Yes... And far too curious. Fine then, you can come.” The Doctor submitted rather easily, in need of a companion who knew the land anyway.

“This... Thing, is simply marvelous. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen!”

“Yeah, I get that a lot.” The Doctor walked a circle around the control panel before turning back to Rarity. “So why cut a perfect little gash in space and time if nothing can go through it aside from some magical fire? You wouldn’t do it to travel of course. You would do it to get someone’s attention.”

“That’s absurd.”

“Something like that in Princess Luna’s chamber, of course she’ll notice it eventually. But what’s the point? Why would they want Luna’s attention?”

“Well, she IS a Goddess and all.”

“Yes, she is. But she clearly isn’t useful in a field like this, otherwise she wouldn’t have contacted... OH! Of course! Put a neat little incision in Luna’s fireplace, she’ll want answers. To get those answers she calls upon the greatest minds in Equestria, looking specifically for one!”

“And who might that be?”

“ME! Oh I get it now, she’d already met me, a different me, not this me, I change from time to time. So odds are whatever opened that incision is looking for me.”

“Oh, so you have enemies then?”

“One or two, you know how it is, travelling through time and space, saving the universe again and again, after a while you do get noticed.”

“So all of Equestria is in danger because something is looking for you?”

“No, both universes are in incredible danger because something’s after me. Believe me, it’ll get even worse if they find me.”

“Well, you have some sort of plan, right?”

“Oh, of course not. I never have a plan. Do I look like a man with a plan?” The Doctor still circled the control panel.

“I really don’t know actually. I don’t know what a... Man with a plan looks like. I thought you were a Timelord?”

“I am, man is just a... A figure of speech or something. Alright, bottom line, whatever’s looking for me can’t find me, or a very bad thing will happen. Possibly several bad things. Not sure what things would happen, but they would be bad.” The Doctor pressed a couple of buttons and twisted a valve on the TARDIS control panels.

“So you need to hide then?”

“I do. But whatever it is, I’m sure they can track down a Timelord. Probably not hard at all.

“Didn’t you say earlier that you had something you could do as a last resort. If you don’t have a plan, this is probably a good time for a last resort.”

The Doctor stopped circling the controls. His expression on his face changed, the usual peppiness flushed from his eyes, and his natural smile fading into a frown. “Yes... You’re probably right.” His voice was much quieter.

“Is something wrong?”

“My last resort... It’s called a Chameleon Arch. It can completely change my genetic structure, everything about me would change. I could turn myself into an equine like you, but at the expense of everything that makes me... Well, me.”

Rarity got quiet. Something about this creature perplexed her, enough so that she dreaded losing him, even though they’d only just met. When Rarity didn’t speak up, The Doctor continued. “I won’t remember any of this. I’ll remember some of it, but it will be like remembering a dream, and that’s exactly what I’ll think it is.”

“But... We need you...”

““You’ll be fine for now. Listen to me Rarity.” The strange, fleshy creature was on stood in front of her, holding a pocket watch in his fleshy hand. “When I do this, everything that I am now is in this watch. Have me open it when the time comes, okay? And not a moment sooner.”

“How will I know when the time comes, though?”

“Something strange will happen, something... Dangerous, potentially catastrophic, something that could potentially shatter reality. Basically, when the universe needs its Doctor. Can you do that for me?”

“Why, of course. But what are you...” Rarity was confused.

“I’m counting on you to take care of me when I’m like you.” The creature smiled.

“But... We just met. Why do you trust me?”

“Because I know an honest person... Or... Equine when I see one. Trust me, I’m the Doctor.”

“I... I won’t let you down, sir.” Rarity returned the smile, as the creature placed the strange device he’d called the Chameleon Arch over his head.

Rarity stood in aw as the Doctor shrieked in pain as electric pulses surged through his body. She watched as his body morphed into that of a brown earth pony. His mane was strikingly similar to his hair as a Timelord, combed down over one side of his face. His tail was a standard, dark brown, spikey tail, and all his clothes had fallen off, all except his bow tie.

“Doctor?” She asked coyly.

“Whoah.” The Doctor scurried to his hooves. “What happened?”

“Oh, this is going to be difficult.” Rarity whispered under her breath.

“Wh... Where am I? I don’t remember...”

“You’re a... Friend of mine, your name is Doctor... Um... Doctor Whooves.” Rarity was ashamed of the pathetic attempt of a name. It was also at this moment that Rarity noticed his cutie mark, or the lack thereof. He was a blank flank.

“Doctor Whooves? What?”

Rarity proceeded to tell Doctor Whooves his own story. How he was an assistant at her Boutique, how she met him when he was just a little colt, when his parents had abandoned him, and her family took him in. She told him the story that she crafted on the spot. She went with him out of the TARDIS, lucky that he was too dazed to notice that the box was bigger on the inside.

She got him back to the boutique, all the while explaining his new life to him. She explained that he would help around the boutique, doing simple jobs, carrying fabric, running errands, the type of stuff she would have Sweetie Belle do if she were more competent.

That night, after Whooves had gone to bed, she lay awake in her bed, holding the mysterious fob watch The Doctor had left behind above her head with her magic. Common sense told her to put it away and wait until the time was right... Though she had no idea when that time would be. However, sheer curiosity told her to open it, to take just a quick peak. She tried to fight it, but how could anypony resist something so mysterious?

The magical aura holding the fob watch pressed down on the button on top, causing it to snap open. As she stare into it, a sudden surge of energy bolted from it, shooting into her eyes. Within seconds her mind was filled with images of strange cylindrical creatures with egg whisk lazers and plungers for arms, images of shadows that moved and devoured everything in their wake. She snapped the watch shut, her head hurting from one glimpse into the mind of a Timelord. She suddenly wondered how The Doctor could stand to live with all of that, how any Timelord could stand to see the world the way a Timelord does.

“I... I’ve been having these dreams.” Doctor Whooves told Rarity. They were sitting together in the Boutique at night after closing shop for the day. “I’m always this... Strange biped. And I go around in this little blue box, saving worlds and stuff like that.”

“Oh? How interesting.” Rarity responded, wondering if he was starting to regain his memory, or if he had regained some of it when she had opened the fob watch.

“They always seem so... Vivid. As though they’re real events, real adventures...”

“Oh don’t be silly. Dreams are dreams, you simply CAN’T pay them too much mind.”

“I guess you’re right.” Doctor Whooves sighed. “I think I’m gonna head to bed early. It’s been along day. Goodnight Rarity.”

“Sweet dreams.” Rarity smiled at Doctor Whooves as he stood up and headed out of the boutique to the small cottage Rarity had procured for him. She stayed at the boutique for a while, once again thinking about the Fob watch. She picked it up from the small shelf she’d laid it on and examined it.

She stared at the watch for a good ten minutes, once again debating opening it and looking inside. It had been a horrifying experience the first time... But something about the watch drew her to it, tempting her to open it again. She stared intently at the watch that floated in front of her, until her attention was broken by a song.

It was coming from outside. It was a beautiful song, it sounded like a string instrument. Rarity couldn’t tell which one it was specifically, but she thought it was a cello. She took a peek out the window, and found out she was right. Across the street was a gray furred, down on her luck looking mare, playing a beautiful song on her cello.

Rarity’s natural generosity kicked in. She grabbed a few bits from a nearby table and headed out into the night to help the poor mare.

As she got closer, she was surprised to find that she recognized the musician. She was the cellist who performed at the Grand Galloping Gala that her and her friends had sort of... Completely ruined... And then she felt bad, thinking that perhaps it was their fault she was out of a job.

“Hello dear.” Rarity tried to cover her guilt as best as she could.

The gray mare stopped and looked up at Rarity, and recognized her. “Aren’t you that unicorn who flung cake all over Prince Blueblood at the gala?” She asked.

“Why... Yes, that was me...”

The mare was quiet for a few moments, and then she smiled. “He deserved it.”

Rarity was shocked, yet also relieved. She smiled back and laid the bits down at the mare’s feet. “Might I ask why you’re performing on the streets? Surely the Gala wasn’t THAT detrimental to your career...”

“Oh, no, not the Gala, not at all...” Her face morphed into a much more solemn expression. "My career fell through after... Well... There was an incident..."

"Oh, how terrible. Might I ask what happened?"

"Didn't you hear? I thought everypony knew by now. I was performing a solo at a small little theater in Manehattan, when, it sounds absurd, I know, but the shadows, MY shadow, it... Came to life. It tried to attack the ponies watching the performance. They all ran, and I sat there alone, my entire career ruined because they thought I was some sort of evil enchantress.”

“Oh, that’s terrible!” Rarity paused, thinking about what had just been said. Shadows attacking ponies wasn’t something that happened everyday, “I happen to have a friend who... May be able to help you. A living shadow you say? That COULD be just strange enough for him...”

“What are you talking about?”

“Hold on, I’ll be right back, don’t move!”

Rarity rushed into the Boutique and grabbed the fob watch. She wasn’t sure if this was truly the right time, but she didn’t have time to question herself. She bolted back out of the door and down the street to the Doctor’s small cottage. She pounded her hoof on the door yelling “DOCTOR! DOCTOR!”

The half asleep Doctor Whooves opened the door and gave Rarity a confused look. “Rarity? What is it?”

“Here, look at this.” She held the fob watch in front of his face and pressed her hoof against the button. The watch opened and the familiar yellow energy surged into The Doctor. After a few seconds, it stopped, and The Doctor looked up at Rarity.

“... Why didn’t I change?” The Doctor asked after a short pause. “When the watch was opened I was supposed to turn back into myself, why am I still an equine?” The Doctor turned around back into his cottage before Rarity could respond. He slid in front of a mirror and examined himself. “I’m a pony now then. Alright, that’s okay, ponies are cool. At least I still have the bowtie.”

“So you’re stuck like this then?”

“Seems like it. Wait a minute...” The Doctor noticed something strikingly peculiar. “What’s this thing on my flank?”

“Oh, that’s your cutie mark of course.” That’s when it hit her. “Wait, weren’t you a blank flank before?”

“No idea what that means, but whatever you said, yes. This, hourglass shaped, tattoo type thing on my flank seems to imply that I DID change to some extent just then. What is the purpose of these cutie marks?”

“Oh, well they appear whenever a pony discovers their secret talent in life.”

“Perfect, hourglasses represent time, my special talent is time, I’m a timelord again, even though I look like a pony, isn’t that fantastic!?” The Doctor smiled.

“Yes, that is pretty... Fantastic.”

“... No, not fantastic, the other thing. Impossible. I should be back to normal right now...”

“Oh... Well I don’t know what...”

“Wait! Rarity, why exactly did you bring me back so soon?”

“Oh. Well, I believe I’ve found what you were looking for...”