• Published 1st Nov 2013
  • 436 Views, 3 Comments

The Legend of Beginning - Phenoix12



In the beginning there was ruin and stagnation. The world was dying; its great civilizations brought low by forces of nature and their own creation. Only three beings of great power remained

  • ...
0
 3
 436

The Legend of Beginning (With notes from Twilight)

If I have learned anything from my adventures it's that one should always heed the words of legends and myths as they could be based in truth.

All notes written with this legend are my thoughts at the time of reading.

~Princess Twilight Sparkle

In the beginning there was ruin and stagnation.

The world was dying; its great civilizations brought low by forces of nature and their own creation.(There are many stories and legends of ‘the lost ones’, though what little evidence of their existence remains is tentative at best.)

Only three beings of great power remained. (Almost all versions of this legend spoke of three beings surviving the death of the world)

The two born of the dead race had caused the great calamity that befell the world.

Each in their own way… (Most legends were vague on the goals of these two beings)

They manipulated the rulers of the world into war and strife, shifted the balance of nature to on a whim, all for their own gains.

Their meddling ended the world.

They are the Lords of Disharmony (Could Discord be one of these lords?)

The third being who we know by many names…

Faust, Origin, The Balance, but its true name is Harmony. (There are many religions devoted to this being, each calling it by a different name. In Equestria the most common name is Faust) (A lot of the legends referred to it by the common religious names of the region, they also commonly referred to it has Harmony at the same time.)

It was created by the very power the lords had unleashed into the world. (Harmony born from Disharmony. Out of all the versions of where Harmony came from, this one seemed the most insane… but for some reason it was the most common, so is it true?)

The Lords continued to fight over the ruins of the dead world. (I find this part strage; if they are both ‘Lords of Disharmony’ why not work together? Is it in their very nature to fight each other?)

Each trying to tip the balance of power in their own favor. (Tipping the balance of power between two forms of Disharmony? Could Disharmony come in different forms other than what we know Discord for? This requires more research)

Their clashing powers created and destroyed countless new life. (The clashing power of disharmony creates life, a recurring theme in every version of this legend)

Harmony could only watch, waiting for the day the two’s battle would end. (Were the two powers of Disharmony so great that not even Harmony could stop it? It’s a scary thought)

The war between the Lords went on for countless years until the final clash of Disharmony.

Their final battle raged on for but an instant.

Each throwing all their power into a final attack.

The great clash of energy lit up the world and when it was over one Lord stood tall. (I believe this being to be Discord. NOTE TO SELF: Interview Discord on this matter)

The Lords energy flowed uncontrollably into the world, raising mountings and flattening them in an instant.

Ice and fire rained from the heavens.

Life was born from the chaos. (Much of the wording between different versions makes it sound like after the clash the remaining lord lost control of his abilities, which ended in life being created)

And the last Lord of Disharmony fell into the fire, ice and earth.

Buried under the weight of the world he had birthed though accident. (It is said that when Discord first appeared, or should I now say reappeared, he burst forth from the earth in an explosion of chaos. These connections only continue to strengthen my suspicions of the truth of this legend and of Discord’s involvement)

Only Harmony remained in the world now, though not untouched by the great clash of the Lords.

Harmony’s power was almost completely destroyed by the great torrent of power from the Lords’ final battle. (This was the most confusing part of the legend. No version gave a straight answer as to the loss of Harmony’s power. This is all I could piece together.)

But it could still move to help the newly birthed world.

It nurtured the new creatures of the world so they may survive the harsh and chaotic world.

The very nature of the world helping to alter it, the new natural magic flowing unrestricted and free. (Harmony used the magic created by the Lords of Disharmony to help reshape the world? Again the theme of Harmony from Disharmony)

Birthing the Sun and Moon anew. (Would this make Harmony Celestia and Luna’s father/mother?) (Also, birthing anew... Could the sun and moon have been destroyed at one point, maybe by the cataclysm that destroyed the old world?)

The sun so life may be warmed by its light.

The moon so the nights may be safe under its glowing gaze and painting the sky with stars so that the darkness may be beautiful.

In the end, Harmony knew that if it tried to guide every aspect of the life of this new world it would be no better than the Lords.

If life was to truly be harmonious they must be so by their own will.

So it split itself into six parts, instilling each segment of itself with the virtues and powers that would lead life to prosperity so that they may be used to fight the chaos if it ever returned. (Obviously the Elements of Harmony) (In the time before the races of ponies learned to harness and control the chaos of nature the world was far more dangerous. It must be hard to live in parts of the world where nature isn’t regulated)
And so time went on anew, the chaotic new world full of new life, birthed from ruin and stagnation… (It is interesting to think that we owe our very existence to the death of an entire world. Kind of sad if you think about it)

Author's Note:

I've been kicking this idea around for a while now.

I'm planning on using this idea on how the world where Equestria is located was created to springboard some other stories ideas.

Some people might be thinking why I did this in two chapters… The reason is simple, I wanted one chapter without Twilight’s notes so you could gain your own perspective on the legend without Twilight’s thoughts altering it. Then I wanted you to see what Twilight's thoughts were. So Two chapters!

Edited and proofread by RoboKitty