• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 486 Views, 0 Comments

Luna's Bloody Nightmare - Miss Vixen



Princess Luna has been worried about a young pony in Canterlot, but who is he?

  • ...
 0
 486

Page 3

Princess Luna was sitting in front of a large vanity mirror that was held within her bedchamber of the Canterlot royal castle, brushing her mane. She would always give herself a presentable appearance, but tonight she thought she was putting on more of an appearance than usual. Almost like she was trying to impress somepony.

Luna sat in silence, which was unusual for her. Under normal circumstance, a great deal of conversation would be exchanged between her and her sister Celestia. However, Celestia was away on emergency business in the Crystal Empire and would not return for two more days.

Suddenly a knock came to the door accompanied with “Princess Luna, may I enter?”

“Huh, yes come in.” Luna replied

Into the bedchamber walked a royal adviser. “Princess, it is almost time for you to begin your watch over the night.”

“I suppose it is.” Luna said with distance in her voice.

“I’m sorry princess, but your mind seems to be preoccupied with something.”

“Yes, for it is heavy with recent events.”

“Of course, word from the Crystal Empire about a new faction of changelings would concern anypony of your position.”

Luna stood up and started to move out onto the balcony. “Actually, what concerns me is within Canterlot. For you see, a new creature has appeared within my night.”

The adviser followed Luna out onto the balcony. “Is this creature something to be concerned about?”

“Not in the least, although what does follow him is curiosity and mystery.”

“Him? Is he anypony special princess?”
“No, he is just a nightmare.”

Before the adviser could comment on what Luna had said; a large explosion came from the edge of the everfree forest that sat down below, but even though it could be seen from the castle it was still a good distance off. This was followed by several more explosions that ripped and slashed at the air itself.

“Princess, shall I send guards to the source of the explosions?!”

“I don’t think there will be a need for that. I will go investigate it myself.” And with that Luna flew off with the setting sun, towards the source of the explosions.

As Luna drew closer to the source, she could make out the figure of a pony bucking trees into splinters. From the distance she was at, it could have been anypony destroying the landscape, but a bright red streak running through the mane could only have meant one single pony.

“Nightmare, what are you doing?!” Luna screamed as she landed a few feet behind him.

“Luna? NO, NO, NO. Get away from me! GET AWAY!”

A strange red aura started emanating from Nightmare. Anger and rage could be felt tearing the fabric of space around him.

“Nightmare just tell me what is going on!”

“No Luna, you wouldn’t understand.” Nightmare said as he started to transform before Luna’s eyes. Both his mane and tail began to glow and then burst into flames. Then his coat began to change with an ink like layer rolling down his body becoming as black as his mane once was; but on the last moments of his shift to this new form a large blast of energy was sent out from him. Luna was knocked back, crashing against a rock.

All Luna could see was Nightmare running off deeper into the everfree forest. All she could say, with the little breath she had left, was “Nightmare wait.”, but he was already gone, leaving flaming hoof prints on the ground.

Sitting up Luna assessed her condition. She could bare through the pain from her legs and body, but her wings were broken and flying was out of the question. Even though many questions were left from what had just happened, Luna knew the only way she could have them answered was to find Nightmare and ask him. She regained some of her composer, with her vision a little fuzzy, and started to follow Nightmare’s tracks.

~~~~

The everfree forest was not someplace that one would want to be alone in, for it was known to have weather and plants that would change on its own. Luna had been following the hoof marks, which had scorched the earth, deeper and deeper into the everfree forest, for most of the night. The combination of light from each print and the fact Luna’s sight had started to fade more and more with each passing hour, had turned the hoof prints into a trail of condemned souls guiding Luna to the colt she simply had to find.

The sun started to rise in the distance. For Luna had walked all night until she came upon a clearing with an abandoned building in the center. As Luna walked closer to the building the shadow cast from it followed as the sun continued to rise into the sky. The only detail of the building Luna could make out with what sight she had left was that of a plus sign on top of a bell tower, but the horizontal line was raised higher than normal. However there was no time to ponder such things for the wisps of hoof marks lead inside. Having barely any strength left to use, Luna opened the large doors that would lead into a large area with what seemed to be some sort of alter at the back with several rows of benches that were placed facing it. At the base of it, in a heap laid Nightmare, motionless.

“NIGHTMARE!” Luna screamed at the cost of what energy she had left. She collapsed to the ground with the world around her fading to black.

~~~~

Luna awoke sum time later laying on a make shift bed tucked within a corner of the building that was of unknown origin. Looking around for a sense of the detail that decorated the walls. The architectural style was of nothing seen in Equestria. The ceiling was raised with massive arches and the windows were made of stained glass, similar to that of the castle in Canterlot, but detailed very differently. From the light shining through the windows, it was easy to tell it was night and Luna had been out for a day at the least. On the center alter was a statue portraying some deity that Luna thought as though it had appeared sometime after the construction of the building, for it was in far better condition than that of the walls and ceiling. Luna then judged the condition of her wounds, most of her body had healed, but her wings were still in pain and somehow bandaged.

Luna’s attention was captured by the sound of wood being tossed into a fire. Looking over to a fire place. Nightmare was taking care of a fire and adding wood as he went, but he looked different. Almost as if he had aged considerably; before he looked like a young pony and now he looked to be only a year or two older than that of Twilight.

“Good morning Luna or should I say good night?” Nightmare said giving notice to her, but without adverting his gaze away from the fire.

“Nightmare, how long have I been asleep?”

“Only about a day. Although that is much longer than what would normally be needed to heal those wounds; is there anything else that would give you great stress and cause you to lose sleep?”

Standing up and stretching her legs. “Isn't that a bit blunt for a question, especially since I just woke up?”

“Actually Luna it is a standard medical question.”

“Nightmare you don’t have to be professional around me, were friends after all.” Luna replied with concern.

“That’s alright, I don’t mind a professional environment.”

“Well I mind, because were not on business and friends don’t have to act professional around each other.”

“I’ll think I keep the professional, so is everything alright?”

With a stern voice Luna walked over to nightmare and replied, “No Nightmare. It’s not alright, you’re shutting me out and I want to know why. Nightmare I thought we were friends.”

“I’m sorry Luna, but that was a mistake, to make friends with anypony just never turns out well. There is a jacket by the door you can have when you leave. It is chilly outside tonight.” Nightmare said with an annoyed tone.

“I’m not going anywhere and I won’t leave until you answer all of my questions.” Luna then planted her flank firmly next to Nightmare.

With a very annoyed tone Nightmare only said “Fine.”

“Okay, first of all what in all of Equestria would give you the idea that making friends or any other dark light you have on the world is a mistake? Second has your life really been as bad as you say or are you exaggerating to no end and if you are, why. Third what was that back there, at the edge of the forest?”

“Look Nightmare, I just want to help you that’s all.”

“Luna, why, just why!? All I am to anypony else is a nightmare, a huge bloody nightmare, so why help me!?”

Luna replied with a soft tone “Its simple Nightmare. For you are a creature of the night, but not just any night. You are a creature of my night and it is my duty to watch over, protect and take care of my night and every living thing held within it, along with other reasons.”

Nightmare started to open up to Luna, little by little “Alright. Back when I was young I had friends of sorts. I mean they were the only ones I talked to in school, but that was the only time I ever saw them. We never planned to see each other or even talk outside of school.”

“They never invited you to do anything, did they Nightmare?”

“No, not even once.”

“Nightmare. I don’t think they were your friends even if they were nice to you.” Luna said as she laid a hoof on Nightmare’s shoulder.

Nightmare looked to Luna and said “I know. I've realized that long ago.”

After a moment of silence, Luna asked “Nightmare what was your home life like?”

“Actually very fuzzy, all I can remember is what my father looked like and nothing else more except for the feeling of much dread. It wasn't the best of times.”

“I’m sorry Nightmare for asking, I didn't want to bring back any bad memories.”

“Its fine Luna it’s sometimes good to remember. Oh, also you wanted to know what that was back there at the edge of the forest. Yeah, that happens sometimes.”

Nightmare sat in silence, unsure of how to start to explain it until Luna asked “Nightmare at the edge of the forest you said that I wouldn't understand. What did you mean?”

Nightmare hung his head ashamed and replied “I’m sorry about that, anger just builds up and I sometimes haft to release it and normally I’m much deeper in the woods when I have to, so as to not let ponies get hurt or find out about me. But have you ever felt like an energy just builds that is full of rage and you just have to somehow release it?”

“I’m sorry but I haven’t.”

“I guess it is just me then.”

Feeling sorry for the alicorn sitting beside her Luna simply replied “I do know that the best way to let others know how your feeling, is to tell them about it.”

Nightmare smiled and said “Thanks Luna.”

“So what brought you closer to town?”

“I was waiting for somepony.”

Luna then move behind Nightmare and raped her front legs around him. “I think you found her.”

Nightmare looked up into Luna’s eyes and replied “Indeed I have, any more questions?”

“Tons.”

“Okay Luna shoot.”

“First, why do you look older than you did before?”

“This is actually my normal age, but I take the appearance of a youth simply because, at that age a pony can know everything and experience nothing. If that makes any sense.”

With a quizzical look, Luna undid her hooves from around Nightmare and moved to one of the front benches “Alright, so what is this place anyway?”

Nightmare left the fire and joined Luna. “Well it’s called a church and at one time it was thought to be a place of sanctuary, but the beliefs that gave guidance and were once housed here, became diluted with passing years. Eventually it died only leaving dead memories.”

“And what about the statue?” Luna said looking up at the image of the deity.

“That was given to me by my father when I moved here. It shows the image of Night Mother, a great being that is well known in my home town. She is a guardian of the night and protector of children. Kind of like you Luna.”

Luna looked on in wonder. She knew most of the legends of Equestria, but this was brand new for her. Nothing even close to it could be found anywhere. “A protector of the night, huh.”

“Yes, for unlike Equestria many of our horrors that haunt our dreams came during the day and followed the light. The only place for protection we could find was held within darkness, so it became very comforting.”

“Things seem to be very different from where you’re from, don’t they Nightmare?”

“Yeah, a lot of things are very different than they are here in Equestria.”

“Are you going to tell me about them or no?”

Rubbing his head “Sorry Luna, I can’t.”

Looking over with knowing eyes “Now Nightmare, were friends after all, you can tell me.”

“Oh uh, no what I mean is that I can remember how horrible it was, but I can’t seem to remember any details.”

Laying her head next to Nightmare’s neck and gently nuzzling it “Don’t worry Nightmare, if you ever need somepony to talk to about it, I will always be right here beside you.”

“Thank you Luna I really appreciate that.” Nightmare said looking down to her.

~~~~

The two alicorns talked deeply through the night with stories of joy and tales of woe. Laughs and tears were shared from each pony until the night started to grow bright and the fire had long since died.

~~~~

Moving towards the door “Hey Luna we should be getting you home.”

“Sure thing Nightmare. I’m right behind you.” Luna followed Nightmare close behind thinking of what had occurred within this specific night and what the next might possibly hold.

Nightmare grabbed a jacket that had been hanging on a coat rack and handed it to Luna. Luna took the jacket from his hoof and held it up to examine it. There was a white faux fur collar that wrapped around the neck. The cuff fabric came up halfway from the hoof and although it was a bit short, similar to that of a half jacket. As Luna put it on, she thought that it fit quite comfortably.

After striking a few poses “Thank you Nightmare, I love it.”

“I’m glad you love it Luna.” Nightmare said, blushing slightly

Stepping outside the sun was peaking just over the horizon and the smell of dew rose up from disturbed grass blades, exciting the nostrils of the two alicorns as they walked around the corner of the church. Nightmare stopped in front of a large object, covered by a thick cloth.

“Luna, I think you’re going to like this.” Nightmare stated as he pulled back the cover revealing a two wheeled vehicle.
Luna eyed it with great interest. Thou vehicles were normally used for mass transport and a small personal one was uncommonly seen, but the elegant detail of a night unheard of dressed it with formal function, if that could even come close to describing how beautiful it was.

“Equestria to Luna, Equestria to Luna, come in Luna.” Nightmare said waving his hoof in front of Luna’s face.

“Sorry Nightmare, but it’s beautiful.” Luna replied snapping her attention away from the vehicle.

“Thanks, where I’m from the most common name is a motorcycle, but I don’t care much for giving objects names.”

“Where did you get it?”

“Well Luna, as it turns out. I built it from hoof, believe it or not and the best part is since it runs on magic, it will never run out of fuel.”

“Wow Nightmare, I can’t believe you built it yourself, with so much elegance that clearly went into it.”

Getting on the motorcycle “Thanks, it took me quite a while but I did eventually manage to complete it. Now would you like to take a ride with me back to the castle?”

“But Nightmare, you do know we can just teleport or even fly back to the castle. Well I can’t currently fly at the moment of course, but you know what I mean.”

“Now what fun would that be and plus there is just no substitute to riding on one of these. So what’s it going to be?” Nightmare asked offering a hoof to Luna.

Luna then took the extended hoof in hoof and climbed onto the motorcycle and stated “Well if you so intriguingly put it that way, why not.”

“Hey Luna, you don’t mind if I play some music will we ride do you?”

“Not while you’re driving, no!” Luna stated with thoughts of dangerous stunts dancing through her head.

“Oh, no, I have music system hooked up to this thing, so it will be playing while I’m driving.”

“If you say so Nightmare, then no I wouldn't mind at all.”

With those final words, the vehicle roared to life and took off down a dirt trail, leading out of the everfree forest. Luna became lost in the song as she held tightly to the pony of her night. Thinking back to what had been said and the growing bond between the two ponies who each went through their own kind of isolation. Luna knew that the healing she had once received to heal her wounds, she would now have to give to another. For the pain Nightmare had was far greater and it even could be heard in the song he had playing. With singing about how only the names change, from place to place and being a cowboy on some sort of steel horse, along with being wanted dead or alive. Luna knew the place Nightmare once called home and which gave him so much pain, was not Equestria; but would he truly except Equestria as a place where those wounds can finally be healed and for him to have a true place to call home.

~~~~

“Hey Luna we’re back at the castle.”

Luna had been lost in the blur of the ride. The two ponies were parked outside the front doors of the castle. She didn’t even
know how to get back to the church even if she wanted to, which she just might. “Huh, oh sorry Nightmare.”

“I enjoyed the ride though and thanks. We should do this again sometime soon.” Luna said getting off of the motorcycle.

“Will do Luna. I’ll be seeing you around I guess.” And with that Nightmare road off to who knows where.

Luna then walked through the castle doors and was meet by the same adviser that she had talked to before the explosions happened.

“Princess Luna, are you alright?”

“Yes, why wouldn't I be?” Luna asked while headed, almost skipping, in the direction of her bed chamber.

The adviser was close behind “Well princess you disappeared for quite a while, we had no knowledge of your location, your clearly injured, and most importantly of all… do you seem happier than normal?”

“Well you see, I had the most wonderful time with a certain nightmare. Now if you’ll excuse me, I think I’ll retire to my bedchambers for the day.”

The adviser was left in the hallway outside of Luna's bed chamber, not even wanting to know what Luna had meant and decided to continue on with her work. Leaving Luna to herself deep within her room to rest.

Author's Note:

Please comment.