• Published 9th Oct 2013
  • 1,290 Views, 1 Comments

Found - Nurse Bedpan



The return of an enemy can be less than straightforward. Can Spike be a hero twice?

  • ...
2
 1
 1,290

Prologue

The night sky still bore the chromatic show of the day’s events – beautiful colors skated across the heavens, as if to celebrate the freedom of the Crystal Empire.

Ponies of all shapes and sizes celebrated the momentous occasion with a festival that rivalled even the Royal Wedding of Shining Armor and Mi Amore Cadenza. Their smiles and laughter served to accentuate their crystalline image, bringing out the stunning gloss of their gem-like facades.

The freedom of the Crystal Empire continued to be celebrated even as the six bearers of the Elements of Harmony left for their own homes. Their small companion, a purple baby dragon, was still shocked by the day’s events.

“Man,” he thought to himself. “The ponies back home will NEVER believe this!”

Despite his own disbelief, Spike let his waddle grow into a spirited jaunt.

“Hey, Twilight! Race ya back to the seats!”

=================================================================================

As night fell across the snowy expanse surrounding the empire, a lone figure loped clumsily across the white plains. The protective spell that kept the ponies under the watchful eyes of the sun and moon was not meant to afford protection to those unfortunate enough to brave the biting cold.

A diamond dog, a true runt for the species, had heard rumors amongst his kin of an entire land made of nothing by gems and crystals. Even the creatures living there were made of jewels… all too easily ripe for the taking. And so with nothing but a ragged collar and a hastily made cloak, he rushed off in search of glory and treasure.

“Will show them! Make new pack! Find more gems than ever! Make them see they wrong about nose!”

His pack had let him go on this foolhardy errand, all tired of the bungling mutt and his inability to distinguish even the most basic of odors. “No loss,” they plotted among themselves. “Get rid of runt, fewer jewels to share.” They plastered false grins on their muzzles as they loudly shared stories of gems that towered over trees and had shined brighter than any star, sure that the excitable nuisance would take the bait.

Not one of them expected the cur to return with a bite to back up his once meek bark.

Even the stray couldn’t predict the power and the insatiable greed he was bestowed by the single jewel he did find.

A normal Diamond Dog would have stayed away. He would have trusted his nose.

The mongrel didn’t know any better, of course. All he saw was a blood red crystal buried in the ice.

All for him to make his and his alone.