• Published 7th Oct 2013
  • 480 Views, 1 Comments

The Celestial Sister Story - Alun Aleriksson



their reunion was tearful, but what was Luna really thinking that first day back from exile?

  • ...
0
 1
 480

That Night

As soon as the carriage touched down in front of Canterlot Castle, Luna walked briskly to her quarters before Celestia could say anything, ignoring the guards and other ponies present. Her sister stood in the doorway for only a moment before smiling and assuring everypony that nothing was wrong between the rulers of Equestria.

The Sun Princess did not follow her sister immediately, preferring to give her some space instead of approaching her. She took her place on her golden throne and conducted the day-to-day business as usual.

The papers and ink blurred together as the day wore on, and still there was no sign of the navy ruler of night. Celestia began to grow worried, and finally decided that her sister was more important than royal decrees at the moment. She dismissed her scribes, advisers, and guards and made her way to Luna’s quarters.

The door was slightly ajar when she reached it. She pushed it open, triggering the magical proximity alarm Luna had set up. The younger sister’s head whipped around to face her intruder, and her gaze almost caused Celestia to recoil, so intense was the emotion her eyes conveyed. Celestia held her ground though, and initiated what she knew would be a painful conversation.

“It’s almost nighttime,”

She received no response, other than a “hm,” as Luna turned her head to face the window again. Celestia remained silent for a short while, and then tried again.

“Do you want to talk?”

Luna snorted. “What is there to talk about, sister? What could you possibly have to say to us?”

Celestia almost shivered, so cold was her sister’s voice. She did not give an answer.

“We thought so,” Luna said softly.

“Luna, please understand: I never meant for this to happen, and I am so sorry that it did.”

Luna’s gaze did not waver from the window, nor did her voice lose its icy tone. “One thousand years of exile is a lot to be just sorry for, sister.”

Celestia bowed her head. “You know I did what I had to do. I had no idea what the Elements would do to you…”

“The Elements were not at fault.” Luna interrupted. “We are not angry at what the Elements did to us.”

Celestia knew what she meant, and was overcome with guilt to the point of tears. “Every night,” she struggled to say, “I looked up at the moon and regretted what I did. Every morning, I told myself it was necessary, that I did something, anything right. And I couldn’t make myself believe it.” She took a deep, shaky breath. “I loved you, and I sent you away. It is the biggest mistake I have ever made. Can you ever forgive me for it?”

“We’ll see where we spend the next thousand years, sister.” Luna rose, still facing away from Celestia. “I must attend to my duty, now.” It was clearly a dismissal.

Celestia fought her tears as she walked to her chambers, but she couldn’t stop them all. A single drop of moisture traced her cheek before she wiped it away.

The moon and stars shone brighter than they had in one thousand years that night, and Celestia stayed up to admire her sister’s work.

“I know I haven’t shown it,” she said to the night sky. “But I do love you, Luna. With my entire being.”