• Published 13th Oct 2013
  • 366 Views, 7 Comments

Sumponeigh Knot Yew visits Pony Ville - Uncle Knot



Tired of being ignored, Uncle Knot visits Pony Ville looking to do some magical experiments.

  • ...
 7
 366

A Very Dark Ending

Twilight stood upon the hill looking down and out at the assembled mass of ponies. Behind her was some object that had either been too big or too heavy to move, redecorated by Pinky to hide what it had originally been. To her front was a purple and white walkway stretching across the meadow to the tents, in which Rarity was putting the final touches to her gown. On both sides of this walkway were the assembled masses of Ponies from Pony Ville, Canterlot and other places.

To Twilight’s immediate left stood a nervous Knife Eyes. Next to the groom stood Rainbow Dash. Spike, er, Knife Eyes had insisted that Rainbow Dash would be his best ‘colt’(?). Next to them where the ushers, Big Macintosh, Mr. Cake, and Clockwork. At some unknown prearranged signal, they left to go to the back to escort the brides maids in.

Fluttershy’s birds had taken up all the branches about the meadow and were singing their hearts out. They were so loud that Twilight could not hear any of the hushed taking from the mass of ponies.

On Twilight’s right (that would be the left) Luna and Shining Armor stood as the representatives of the Groom’s family, beside them stood Fancy Pants, and Mayor Mare. On the left or brides side (that would be the right) stood Cadence, Zecora, Celestia, Cranky and Matilda Donkey. Far in the back stood a tall pony in a dark cloak.

Twilight would guess correctly that she was Chrysalis. Twilight was also guessing correctly as to why Uncle Knot owed her or himself a third revenge. And then it hit her, the obscure decoration that Pinky had worked so hard to disguise was directly behind her. It was the hollow key, just as the beautiful and delicate miniature glass statue of Twilight Sparkle, which was now sitting safely in the library, had changed Spike into Knife Eyes, so too…

The music of the birds changed to the more traditional wedding march. Twilight started to panic, if Uncle Knot was going to take his revenge, Twilight was sure it would happen during the ceremony, not after.

Clockwork started down the aisle escorting Pinky Pie, who looked so happy that her event was going off so well. All the ponies turned and smiled back. Pinky was wearing a purple dress with just the slightest touch of green and white trim, as were all the other brides maids.

Next down the aisle came Mr. Cake escorting a somewhat downcast Fluttershy, who looked like she was attending a wake. Mr. Cake didn’t seem to mind. Mrs. Cake on the left side of the aisle did.

After them came Big Mac with Applejack, there was some slight hesitation as Big Mac tried to get Applejack not to wear her hat, but she gave him a look that would’ve stopped a stampede.

Now the music of the wedding march changed. A subtle little melody entered the score. It was both light and refreshing, and also sober and melancholy. Rainbow Dash started down the aisle escorting a Miss Octavia. Twilight realized the diplomatic solution that Rarity had done in choosing Octavia as her premier bridesmaid. Which friend would have been correct for Rarity to choose without hurting some other friends feelings? But Twilight’s affirmation of Rarity’s diplomacy was shaken by her strategy. Octavia looked absolutely beyond stunning in that purple dress with white and green trim. Every eye was fixated upon her. Surely, Twilight thought, Rarity would have known this.

As Rainbow Dash retook her slot next to Knife Eyes, and Octavia took her slot as leader of the brides maids, the music made another subtle change. The traditional march lost it’s melancholy and acquired a bouncy and fruity flavor. The entire assemblage seemed to want to start dancing, and so did Twilight as she forced herself to remain vigilant. Then Sweetie Belle entered in a bit of a prance sprinkling flower petals upon the walkway as she went. It was such a happy moment that Twilight almost let her guard down. When Sweetie Belle reached the front, she took a spot next to Cadence.

Now the wedding march returned to the very traditional, yet something was in the music that had not ever been heard before. Twilight thought there were timber wolves howling in the background as sort of a wind section to the birds’ singing. Butterflies hovered above the entire area adding a myriad of colors to the to the meadow like a roof of stained glass. The entire audience stood at attention quietly directing their gaze backward.

Entered the bride Rarity, in a veil made of pearls, in a dress of pleats and lace, pleats and lace, pleats and lace that seemed to go on forever. Every pony sighed at a sight they thought they would not see this side of heaven. Every pony saw a Rarity they knew they would never see again. Like a snowflake gliding down from the ethereal realms, so did Rarity descend to be with these mortal ponies. The tall figure escorting her down the aisle was invisible to them. Only Twilight seemed to see him, only Twilight could see Uncle Knot and Rarity whispering calmly to each other. And only Uncle Knot seemed to notice that Twilight was looking at him. He held her gaze and played with it as a cat plays with a mouse. Twilight tensed herself waiting for the attack she was sure would come. Uncle Knot’s lips twisted into the most evil of smiles and then blow her a kiss. No pony noticed, only Twilight. All eyes were upon Rarity. The blow of that kiss was as gentle as a mountain falling and as harsh as a soft breeze in a dream. While Twilight’s body did not stagger, she knew her soul had suffered a mortal blow. She also knew Uncle Knot meant no harm, no attack was to happen. Twilight knew he would see this wedding through, not because he had given up on his revenge, but that this wedding was his revenge.

Twilight’s mind scrambled, she was caught in a trap. She couldn’t do anything, only play her part. Rarity exchanged her escort for Knife Eyes. Uncle Knot stood next to Cadence. Twilight suddenly realized she was suppose to say something.

An eternity of indecision rampaged through Twilight’s mind. Then the words started flowing without Twilight even thinking about them. “Mares and Gentlecolts, we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of two special friends, Special Police Investigator Knife Eyes and Rarity Licorice Belle. It is not only my duty, but my cherished privilege to officiate this wedding. The Strength of their commitment is clear. The power of their love, undeniable. May we have the rings, please?”

Rainbow Dash produced the rings and hoofed them, while Twilight used her magic to levitate them; one unto Rarity’s horn and the other onto Knife Eyes’ lifted hoof.

“Do you?” asked Twilight “Rarity Licorice Belle, take Knife Eyes to be your partner, for better or worse, in sickness or in health, in wealth or in poverty, for this day and this night, and these many days and nights forthcoming forever, evermore?”

“I do” said Rarity

“Do you?” asked Twilight “Special Police Investigator Knife Eyes, take Rarity…”

“Stop” said Knife Eyes “my code won’t allow this”

There was an audible gasp from the audience.

“What do you mean?” asked Twilight “Your code?”

“My dragon code” said Knife Eyes “I can’t continue this deception. Please Uncle Knot, can I have that letter”

“Yes, you may have the letter” said Uncle Knot “but no pony is being deceived here except you”

“What do you mean?” asked Spike “do you mean even Rarity knows?”

“Yes Spike, I mean Knife Eyes” said Rarity “I’ve known even before this began”

“You mean” stammered Knife Eyes “You …”

“Let me make this clear for you, Spike” stated Rarity batting her eyelashes “I, Rarity Licorice Belle, take you Knife Eyes to be my partner, for better or worse, in sickness or in health, in prosperity or depravity, this day and night, and for as many days and nights, forever, evermore.”

“R - R - Rarity … ?” stammered Knife Eyes

“Excuse me” said Twilight “If I may continue? Do you Spike, er, Knife Eyes take Rarity to be your partner, for better or worse, in sickness or in health, in a pithier of gems or starving, for this day and night, and forthcoming forever, evermore?”

“I -I - I most certainly do”

“Then by the power invested in me” said Twilight “I now pronounce you Mare and Colt. You may kiss the mare”

And what a kiss it was. Rarity’s embrace was so aggressive that even Celestia blushed.

“Mares and Gentlecolts” interrupted Twilight “May I be the first to present to you, the loving couple, Rarity and Knife Eyes” This brought a thunderous clopping of hooves by the assemblage. The butterflies overhead scattered and then reformed into a transparent cloud that shadowed the couple as they walked down the isle.

“I didn’t teach them that trick” said Fluttershy

“It will be our little secret” said Discord

Elsewhere and later, Twilight confronted Uncle Knot “I don’t understand, I was expecting an attack, why didn’t you?”

“Why didn’t I fulfill my third revenge?” answered Uncle Knot “because I didn’t need too”

“Or is it because your revenge isn’t against Twilight” said Celestia “but against me?”

“What?” asked Twilight “I thought Uncle Knot or Sumponeigh Knot Yew, was actually Sky”

“Correct” stated Uncle Knot

“And it was me” said Twilight “that deduced that Sky was a dragon hatched by Nightmare Moon”

“What?” asked Luna “I don’t remember doing that”

“You didn’t” said Uncle Knot “you are not my princess, Nightmare Moon is …”

“… was” interrupted Twilight “I, using the elements of harmony, banished her forever”

“So you did” said Uncle Knot “If I had any feelings for her, I would seek the most terrible revenge, as Spike would seek, if anything had happened to you”

“But …” said Twilight

“His feelings for Nightmare Moon are trapped” said Celestia “they are trapped inside that statue of Nightmare Moon behind you”

“And it was time they were released” stated Uncle Knot

“NO” said Celestia “you presented a great danger to Equestria before. Your wings threatened to stretched from horizon to horizon.”

“Your fear is unwarranted, Celestia” said Uncle Knot “I have learned to control my shape and size in these past thousand years” and to demonstrate Uncle Knot transformed himself into a dark blue dragon with a white mane.

“That … that’s not possible” exclaimed Celestia

“Surprise, surprise Celestia” said Sky “How do you like me now?”

“That’s not possible” echoed Twilight and Luna

“Or perhaps you would prefer ..” Uncle Knot then transformed himself into a Pegasus, then a manticore, then a unicorn, then a griffin, and finally back into a earth pony.

“So do you have any other objection to dispelling the statue?” asked Uncle Knot

Celestia bowed her head and said “I can’t, I tried when I got my sister back. You were there, when Nightmare Moon returned”

“Correct” said Uncle Knot “you were keeping me busy least I interfere with her return. You promised me that my suffering was at an end. You tricked me.”

“But my magic wasn’t strong enough to dispel the statue” said Celestia

“What suffering?” asked Luna

“Answer me this Twilight Sparkle” demanded Uncle Knot “to dispel something made with magic, does it not take an equal or greater magic?”

“Yes” said Twilight

“But this statue was made with more than just magic” stated Uncle Knot

“What do you mean by that?” asked Celestia

“It was made … “ responded Uncle Knot

“… was made with his love for Nightmare Moon” interrupted Luna

“Then I’ll try again” said Celestia “my love for Equestria should be sufficient …”

“NO” said Uncle Knot “your love for Equestria is insufficient. To dispel the statue requires your love for me to be greater”

“My love for you … ?” asked Celestia

“For a thousand years, I have acted as an extra set of eyes and ears for Equestria FOR YOU, I have retrieved dragon eggs for the magic academy FOR YOU, I have watched for the return of the Crystal Empire FOR YOU” said Uncle Knot “I am tired of living up to your expectations. We have exchanged over twelve thousand letters, we have debated the riddles of life, luck and love, we have faced dangers unnumbered together, and endured troubles most sorrowful together. Can you really truthfully say you have no feelings for me?”

“Please, Princess Celestia” encouraged Twilight “try to dispel the statue now”

“But you always told me …” said Celestia

“… that to be around you was like looking upon the sun” said Uncle Knot “and that I would either go blind or fall in love …”

“… and that you would not yield to blindness” said Celestia

“All too true” said Uncle Knot

“But would you yield to love?” asked Twilight

“Wait, what?” said Celestia

“Would Uncle Knot yield to your love sister?” asked Luna

After a long moment, with Celestia head bowed and eyes closed, while Luna and Twilight watched expectantly, Uncle Knot said “my choice is clear, the statue remains”

“But …” said Luna

“I can now remove that which has stopped me from telling those special ponies like Zecora and Cadence how I feel about them” said Uncle Knot

“But you will also get back your need for revenge against me” stated Twilight

“That revenge is exceeded by a new need” said Uncle Knot “and that is to tell a certain special some pony how I feel about her”

“But is your magic strong enough?” asked Twilight

“My magic is not in question” said Uncle Knot as he approached the statue. The statue started to shimmer as a black shadow horn appeared on Uncle Knot’s head. With the gentlest of touch, Uncle Knot tapped the statue. Nothing happened at first, but then the gray statue turned black and purple. It looked like it was moving as it turned to small stones which became dust that drifted away on the wind.

“So you’re finally free” said Celestia

“And your feelings of revenge?” asked Twilight

“Yes, I am finally free, free from my duties” said Uncle Knot “and free from my need for revenge”

“That’s a good thing?” asked Twilight

“And now I can finally tell those I love that I love them” said Uncle Knot “starting with the most special some pony I could ever want to tell. Celestia, I love you”

“…” said Celestia not really saying anything

“I’m so sorry” said Luna

“Yeah” said Uncle Knot

“It is said” said Twilight “it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all”

“That is little comfort” said Uncle Knot

“So what will you do now?” asked Luna

“I think” said Uncle Knot “I’m overdue for a vacation. Time to say good bye, nice to meet you Luna, and you Twilight”

“Yes, Uncle Knot” responded Twilight

“Look after Celestia for me”