• Published 13th Oct 2011
  • 2,800 Views, 31 Comments

The Legend of Luna: Ocarina of Friendship - Hajimebrony



Legend of Zelda/MLP crossover with Luna as Link.

  • ...
2
 31
 2,800

Peaceful daily life

In the darkest of night, one pony will bring the light of hope to an otherwise doomed land.

Chapter 1: Peaceful daily life

The sun rose as it always did in the Kokiri Forest, it's rays filtering through the thick layer of leaves to create an almost otherworldly atmosphere to the small village nestled deep within the forest's confines. Within this village named after the forest it resides within, a single pony's eyes flutter open as the morning's sunlight invades her home. Gentle teal eyes look to her open door as she squints her eyes, obviously trying to wish the sunlight away. After the sun showed no signs of retreating, the pony pulled herself out from under her sheets. A small filly with a light grayish purple coat and a light blue mane that ran almost to her back stretched in her simple room, trying to shake off the night's sleep, her small wings stretching their full length as well.

After stretching, the pony looked around and decided that it was time to start her day, her horn glowing with magic as she floated over a small tunic that was a shade darker than her coat. She smiled at the attire, remembering how it was made for her by a very dear friend of her's. Floating the tunic over her head, she gently eased herself into it, making sure not to put her horn through the fabric, a fate that many of her outfits had already befallen. After finally working it down her body, she finished slipping the last few feathers out the perfectly sized holes that her friend had made so that her wings could be set free. Satisfied, she turned to her open door and nodded to herself. "Let's get the day started, Luna," she told herself before heading out the door.

Luna now stood on the ledge up in the tree that her home was made into. Her home was much different than any of the other homes in Kokiri Village, being the only one that was off ground level. This of course being because Luna was the only Kokiri with wings, a fact that many would not let her forget. At that moment, Luna realized that she could hear a soft noise beneath her, a noise that most would pass of as nothing more than the wind but Luna recognized as a gentle "Hello."

A quick glance down confirmed that her yellow coated, pink maned, earth pony friend stood below her, staring up at Luna with a happy smile. "Good morning Fluttershy," Luna called down to her friend before jumping from her home, her wings spreading as she glided to the ground. Her wings were too small to be able to actually fly but Luna had no problem in gliding for short distances.

"Oh, good morning Luna. Did you sleep well?" Fluttershy asked in her usual, gentle voice.

"Very well," Luna lied. Lately she had not been sleeping too well. Strange nightmares plagued her sleep lately and the more infuriating thing was that when she awoke from the nightmares, she could never remember what they were about.

If Fluttershy could tell that her friend was lying, she did not let it show. Instead, she turned her Cyan eyes towards the heart of Kokiri Village. "So, um, what would you like to do today?" Fluttershy asked, "we could go relax by the stream or perhaps you would like to go see some of the animals near the Lost Woods??"

"You know I don't much like the Lost Woods, Fluttershy," Luna cut in, "but going for a dip in the stream sounds really nice." She flashed her friend a big grin as Fluttershy happily nodded. Both ponies set out at a brisk trot, staying at each other's sides as the two had done for as long as they could remember. It only took a few minutes before the sound of flowing water could be heard and shortly after that, the ponies had arrived at the small stream that ran through the center of Kokiri Village. Luna was slightly surprised that they had not run into any other Kokiri on their way over, but Luna didn't mind as she welcomed the peace and quiet.

However, her peace was not to last. "Well good morning Bird Brain!" the voice cut through the quiet like a knife through a fresh loaf of berry bread.

Luna sighed before looking over to the source of the voice, a pure white earth pony with a wooden shield cutie mark. "Hello Angel," Luna said as flatly as possible, trying to convey her distaste for having to deal with the arrogant pony so early in the morning.

"Didn't you know that this part of the stream is for REAL kokiri? You know the kind that actually HAVE a dragon fairy?" Angel smirked as he mocked Luna, his own dragon fairy floating lazily around his head.

Luna felt her cheeks flush with anger for a moment as she tried to not let Angel's words get to her. But it was true, not only was she the only kokiri with wings but she was also the only kokiri that did not have a guardian dragon fairy. Even her friend Fluttershy had one, even though she usually asked him to stay hidden when around Luna in consideration of her feelings. "I don't want to start this today Angel," Luna said, trying to keep the hurt his words always brought out of her voice. Why wasn't she used to this by now?

"Ohhhhh, what's the matter, Bird Brain? Can't stand that you aren't a real kokiri?" Angle's words cut through to Luna's heart.

As Luna felt her turmoiled feelings starting to rise, Fluttershy moved between Angel and Luna with a determined look in her eyes. "Stop saying such mean things to Luna!" Fluttershy demanded.

Angel visibly twitched, remaining quiet for a few moments before turning around. "Tsk, whatever," was his only response.

As Angel walked away, Luna looked to her friend as Fluttershy sat down heavily. "Ohhhh," Fluttershy fumed quietly, "why does that Angel have to be so mean to you all the time, it makes me so mad."

'At least he didn't bring up my blank flank' Luna thought to herself, knowing the only reason he hadn't was because of Fluttershy's own blank flank. Angel would never make fun of Fluttershy. Luna moved over and sat down without a word and pushed herself gently against her friend, knowing the contact would calm her down. After several long minutes, Fluttershy gave a shaky sigh and leaned into her friend, not liking the angry part of herself that showed itself whenever someone made fun of her friends.

For several long minutes, the two friends remained together, not saying a word. Finally, with a rumble from her belly, Luna looked over with a sheepish smile, "I think some breakfast is in order."

Fluttershy giggled at her companion's expression and stood up, "I just gathered some fresh dandilions this morning before meeting you. Why don't we go and have some sandwiches?"

Before Luna could say a word, another rumble, much louder than before, erupted from her stomach, answering the question for her. With a laugh, the two set out in the direction of Fluttershy's home. Signs of life were finally starting to be seen from the village as the two trotted side by side. Ponies began emerging from their homes, looking for whatever task they happened to have to do this particular day. As the duo reached Fluttershy's house, a loud clacking noise filled the air throughout the village. Fluttershy looked in the direction everyone knew it was coming from. "Oh, it sounds like Miss Cheerilee already," she said cheerfully. After ducking into her house for a few moments, she reemerged with a parcel dangling from her mouth. Quickly setting it down, she turned her large eyes on Luna. "Could you please take this to Cheerilee? Um, if you want to, that is." Fluttershy started to look away, looking a little nervous about asking her friend to do something for her. "I could get some breakfast ready for us while you do that."

Luna smiled, thinking to herself about how cute her friend was when she became flustered but then spoke up to put her friend to ease. "You know I'm always happy to bring Cheerilee her breakfast. Otherwise, she might forget to eat again and pass out. Then who would be our 'brave protector'?" Luna said with a playful smile.

Fluttershy's expression shifted from nervous shyness to an overjoyed smile almost instantly. "Um, thank you. I'll go make your favorite sandwich while you do that." With one final smile, Fluttershy turned to her home and strode in, leaving Luna alone.

With the thoughts of a good breakfast waiting for her upon the end of her usual errand, Luna quickly scooped the parcel up in her mouth and ran for the home on the other side of the village, the one that layed closest to the Lost Woods and where the sounds of woods striking wood at a furious pace could be heard. This particular home belonged to Cheerilee, the guardian of Kokiri Village against anything that may wander out of the Lost Woods. The reason she was trusted with such an important task, despite being an earth pony, was her unmatched skill with the sword. As Luna drew closer, she could see Cheerilee outside, her wooden practice sword held firmly in her mouth as she danced around and struck the wooden practice dummy with such grace that, as always, Luna was left awestuck for several moments. After admiring the deadly dance in front of her for a few more moments, Luna snapped back to reality with a loud rumble from her stomach. The sound was loud enough that even Cheerilee heard it, stopping in mid swing to see where the noise had come from. Upon seeing Luna, a soft smile broke in the corner of Cheerilee's lips as she set her sword down. "Good morning, Luna. What brings you here?" she asked in a soft and cheery voice. A voice that would almost make one forget the deadly display that had just been shown.

After setting the parcel down at Cheerilee's hooves, Luna replied, "Fluttershy asked me to bring you your breakfast."

The grin on Cheerilee's face grew even larger as she bent down and sniffed the parcel. Her eyes widened in delight and she bounced up and down happily, looking more than a little silly. "Blueberries!" she exclaimed joyfully before tearing open the top of the parcel, revealing the tasty treasure within, "Fluttershy is really going to spoil me."

The smell of the sweet berries hit Luna's nose and her stomach cried to her angrily once more. "Well, you have a good morning Miss Cheerilee." She suspected that her words were not even heard though, as Cheerilee had half of her face buried in the pile of berries and was happily munching away. Turning and walking back in the direction of Fluttershy's tree, she found her pace slowly increasing. She gave her usual hellos to the random Kokiri who she passed along the way but would not allow herself to slow down. Her mouth started to water at the thought of Fluttershy's food. Within a few minutes, she was knocking politely on Fluttershy's door before letting herself in. She could hear the activity coming from the kitchen so she trotted back to find Fluttershy putting the finishing touches on three, perfect looking dandilion sandwiches. "Did Miss Cheerilee like her breakfast?"

"She says you are going to spoil her so I think that's her way of saying 'thank you'." Luna replied as she hungrily grabbed one of the sandwiches with her magic, levitating it over and taking a large bite out of it. She practically melted as the taste exploded in her mouth. "I will never understand how you find such amazing tasting food," Luna marveled before taking another large bite.

"Oh! Um, I guess I just always know where to go in the Lost Woods to find things," Fluttershy replied with a blush. She loved when her friends enjoyed her food. "I just follow my hooves."

Luna quickly finished her first sandwich and scooped up the second, working through it just as fast as the first. Fluttershy only looked on with a smile on her face, nibbling on her own sandwich.

Little did either of these ponies know that the peace that they were enjoying was quickly going to be shattered.


Author's note: well, here we have it. This is my first bit of writing after a struggle with writer's block that spanned almost 5 years. Still feeling really rough around the edges and out of practice so constructive criticism and suggestions are always appreciated. Hope you guys enjoyed my work and I look forward to bringing more to you all.