• Published 3rd Oct 2013
  • 517 Views, 9 Comments

Fantasy? No its real. - Spirit of EverFree



Lyra has always been a Pony the others seen as weird, not all there in the head. Really though sometimes obsessions are there to cope with lost or simple out of what makes you....you

  • ...
7
 9
 517

Hi my name is Lyra

A cool summer breeze blew through out Ponyville as birds chirping filled the air. Through the streets ponies were shopping at the many vendors, others socializing among each other. One stood out in the crowd, a mint green mare humming a tune all to herself. Pass the vendor and through the crowds she arrived at her destination. A old hollowed out oak tree which served as the town's only library. Opening the door it sounded with a ding signaling a customers arrival.

"I'll be right with you my dear." came the shaky voice of a elderly stallion. "now confounded where was that blasted entrance..Ah here we are right where my desk is." The stallion propped himself up on his chair at the front desk lifting up a Monocle to his eye. "Ah Lyra my dear back for more books?" The librarian shuffled around his desk opening up a book and pulling out a card.

"Yup Mister Inkwell and I have the copy of Equestrian Quirky Legends and the book I forgot to turn in last time." Spoke Lyra as she pulled the books out of her saddlebags, ears folded down in embarrassment. "I think this time I want a book on Human stories!" her mood changing as her voice picked up a beat as she claimed what she wanted, Hopping in place without actually leaving the ground.

The old stallion smiled at her shaking his head. "still fascinated over those silly stories huh my dear?" the stallion tapped his chin thinking while humming to himself. "I do believe I put a book your looking for in the upstairs portion of the library labeled under Fiction row G-K, or was that in the kitchen?" spoke Inkwell.

"excuse me? why would the book be in your kitchen?" questioned Lyra.

"Didn't you want a cup of tea my dear?" asked the librarian.

Lyra held a hoof to her muzzle to stifle a giggle. "No Mr. Inkwell I wanted a book on Humans." Inkwell scratched his head while humming with thought.

"your right Lyra you did say you wanted a book. This old stallion can be quite-" He waved a hoof in the air pausing in his speak- " Forgetful at times, now if you would follow me up the stairs we'll get that book. Lyra nodded in agreement to the stallion as the two walked up stairs Inkwell started up a conversation as he does anytime he can. "Lyra sweetheart how have things been? Have those bullies still been picking on you about still being a blank flank?" Lyra folded her ears back, looking at her flank, still bear as the day she was born.

"I-I haven't had trouble with them lately or atleast been to busy reading to pay them any mind."

"I know it bothers you dearie but why not giving up on reading these books it might help ease it some." I was a well known fact that Lyra was weird to most of the ponies considering she was awkward in public settings and always reading and fantasizing over stories that involved things that were simple not real or true, such as stories on discord or humans. To her though it didn't matter if these things were real or not it atleast made her happy when she was reading, that somewhere even in a fantasy was a world that wasn't as simple as this small town. A place bustling with noise, building far above the ground that no pony can simple build, a world all in its own unique and different in perspective. Lyra stood there silently sporting a silly small smile lost in her dreams. "Lyra dear are you there?" the librarian was waving a hoof in front of her face.

"Y-yes sorry I was daydreaming again." she let out a small squee.

"pay no mind, well here we are this should be the right bookshelf." said the librarian as he stepped onto a ladder rolling it across the shelf in hunt for the book. Tilting one by one out to read the title before setting them back in place, dust lifting off the shelf as he did suggesting that ponies other then Lyra read these sort of books. "Ah ha!" shouted the stallion. "Lyra dear here is the book, Humans 101 your guide to everything man." stepping down the ladder his hoofs shaking, making his way pass Lyra and down the stairs to the desk. Pulling out a large check off book he pulled out the other books card. signed the checkout card, logged in the book and slid it across the desk to Lyra who excitedly picked it up with her magic and placed it into her saddlebags.

"Thank you Mister Inkwell." Lyra said in a sing song voice.

"wait a moment Lyra." spoke the Librarian.

"yes?" question Lyra.

"Why don't you stay just a bit and have some tea with me, The library hasn't been getting much business lately and it has been dreadfully quite without the school fillies that generally come during the later months." He then got up and walked towards the kitchen waving his head towards the opening motioning for Lyra to follow. Together the two ponies entered the kitchen, conversing back and forth as Inkwell set a pot of tea on the burner. They talked about what each other has been doing the last few days, how the weather has been, birds, and many other subject.

"It is wonderful to have company....I can't seem to remember what it was like in the first place, but I'm sure whatever it was like it would have been just as good as this." Inkwell turn his head to the stove as the tea kettle started whistling with steam, getting up he placed the handle in his mouth and masterfully pour a cup for him and Lyra. "Now drink up it's cold out there today." Lyra giggled

"Its the middle of summer Mr. Inkwell" she didn't mind has random mentioning however odd they seem to be at the time, she simple enjoyed company that was pleasant in her life, and the old librarian was one of few. Lyra took a sip of her tea her face scrunching up from the bitterness, if anything he could learn a thing or two making tea sweet.

"Now Lyra I have a gift for you."

"Oh? a gift what is it? can I see it huh huh? does it have something to do with discord or maybe celestia second sister twice removed!" Lyra was grinning ear to ear as Inkwell chuckled at her excitement.

"Now now its nothing as silly or...unbelievable as a sister twice removed which by the way Lyra would make her Celestia second cousin not sister." Inkwell said correcting lyra. He walked over to a shelf in the kitchen pulling out a book with a strap held fast with a lock on the front, before placing it in front of a confused pony.

"Whats this?" Lyra asked.

"A journal, not just any though this was given to me by my grandfather." Inkwell looked at the old book with half lidded eyes, a small smile gracing his features. "I never had the time to write in it always books to catalog and what not.... but I never wanted it to go to waste." he slid the book closer to Lyra on the table. "I always viewed you as if you were my own daughter.... I never had foals of my own you know? Married to one's job I suppose."

"Geez old man you getting sappy on me?" Lyra giggled flashing the largest grin she could muster. She took the book into both hooves running over the spine and front of the book. "its pretty." Lyra commented.

"I suppose it is, Lyra you can write down anything you want into that book and with the lock no one can see what you write or work on. Well now I believe its getting late missy you should be heading home before it gets dark."

"Wait WHAT!?!?!" Lyra jerked her head towards the nearest window to see the setting sun. "Ugh! have I been in here this long?" groaned Lyra. she put the book into her saddlebag, took her cup to the sink and finally gave Inkwell a hug goodbye before heading to the door. Looking back as he left she yelled out to the Librarian. "Thanks for the new book and the gift Mr. Inkwell!" before galloping off towards home. Inkwell stood at the door watching the mare run off in the distance a smile spread across his tired face.

"Today has been great new book on humans, spent the day having fun talking and this really cool new journal...err Diary? whatever." Passing by vendors closing up shop Lyra could see her designation, A small hut town the end of town the place she called home. she slowed her gallop into a slow trot humming to herself completely bliss for the time being.

"Oh look its Freaking Lyra!" Lyra stopped dead in her tracks, head dipped low and ears pinned down as he looked around for who just addressed her. When she found the source of the voice she gulped a lump of tension in her throat.