• Published 30th Sep 2013
  • 2,404 Views, 24 Comments

Many Moons Ago - GrapeVino



On the eve of the Summer Sun Festival Celestia has gone missing, and it's up to Luna to find her. What awaits Luna, however, is not only her sister, but a long awaited confrontation of her past.

  • ...
0
 24
 2,404

Like Drawing Blood from a Stone

Moments later and Luna spotted her sister. Celestia emerged from behind some of the plant life circling the rocky clearing, she was pacing. Celestia walked to the edge of the rugged balcony and looked out into the distance. Luna could tell she had spotted her, but Celestia simply stood in place and continued gazing at the sunset.

Luna took one last swooping arc and landed softly behind her sister a couple of meters away. She furled her wings and looked to her sister, spending a final second or two pondering the situation. Luna noticed the subtle yellow glow of Celestia’s magic coming from her horn; she looked to the horizon and caught a final glimpse of the sun disappearing from view.

“… The sun’s down.” Celestia spoke in a sombre, monotonous voice as the glow faded from her horn. Luna waited a moment then came to stand next to her. She briefly looked at Celestia, her expression blank and serious for the most part, but she saw sadness in the shape of her eyes. Luna didn’t say a word; she turned up the corners of her mouth ever so slightly, and then closed her eyes. Luna focused on her magic, focused on the moon so far up in the sky, out in space. She imagined the moon glowing with an eerie luminescence in the blackness of the night amongst a vast veil of stars. It was so vivid it seemed real, and it was so. She opened her eyes and, sure enough as every time in the past, the moon had mimicked her thoughts through her magic, now present amidst the countless stars in the night sky. Luna panted heavily for a few seconds. Though she had gotten somewhat used to it before, raising the moon was still a tough job, and Luna was a thousand years out of practice.

Luna turned to her sister to make her attempt at a smile evident in some hope that it may rub off on her, but it was to no avail. Celestia continued to stare out at the panorama of Equestria, almost as if she was expecting an answer from it. Luna’s smile faded.

A few more moments past before Luna finally spoke up to break the overbearing tension.

“Tia. What’s wrong?” Celestia glanced at Luna for a second but did not speak.

“Tia, what’s wrong? You know you can tell me. We’re sisters.” Luna was good at speaking ‘normally’ when around Celestia. She was very comfortable around her most of the time, yet at that moment she couldn't say the same. This time Celestia didn't even look at her.

“Celestia, would you jus-!?”

“How long has it been now?” Celestia asked suddenly, and though she spoke sternly it was not in anger.

“I’m not sure I… how long since what?”

“Since… since you came back.”

“Well, come tomorrow morning, a year exactly. Surely you hadn't forgotten?” Luna’s confusion was evident in her voice.

“No, no I haven’t. I just have to keep telling myself it’s been a year. I thought hearing it from you might help it sink in.”

“… did it help?” Celestia simply dropped her head a little, finally breaking her gaze of the horizon.

A few seconds past and Luna shuffled her hooves a little. When Celestia was like this she would always say what she needed to say in her own time. There was no point in asking questions or forcing it out of her, so they simply stood in silence for a minute or two.

Celestia looked to the moon and once more broke the silence.

“What was it like up there on the moon?” Sorrow filled her voice. “For one thousand years.”

“Umm… Tia, I don’t-I’d rather not, uh….” Luna started nervously padding the ground and shifting her eyes around.

“I’m sorry. That was rude of me.”

“No it’s just… I’d rather not talk about it, sis.” Once again the crushing silence befell them.

Luna looked down at the view of Canterlot; the ponies had begun putting festive lights up, and occasionally a silent firework would colour the sky above the city, too far for them to hear.

“Tia, I’m here for you. I always will be. Please. Talk to me.” Luna knew it was useless trying to coax her to talk, but some words of kindness never hurt anypony.

Celestia bit her lip, closed her eyes tight and turned away a little. She took a harsh breath in and composed herself.

“It’s been so difficult, Luna. These last thousand years raising the sun and the moon. At first it wasn't too bad, but it got to me after a while. Some days I would just be so exhausted I couldn't leave my bed… and now you’re back, and suddenly I’m not tired every minute of the day. I can hardly believe you’re here again,” Celestia close her eyes with a pained look on her face.

“Is that what this is about sis? Things getting easier?”

“No. No, of course not.” Luna had never seen Celestia being so vague.

“I’ve been so grateful for your help once again, and I find myself running the memories of your absence through my head over and over.”

“Oh…” Luna had started putting a few things together.

“You know… it’s just.” Celestia’s confidence seemed to waver.

“Celestia.”

“Sometimes there were nights when… I would just cry. Sometimes I wouldn’t know what the cause was. I’d had a good day but I’d just cry for hours.” Celestia’s eyes began welling up; she stood completely still, as if a single movement would push her over the edge into full on sobbing.

“I was just so lonely sometimes. I’d look up at the moon and wonder if you were okay. When Twilight came along, and I started teaching her, I finally started feeling better, but every night I raised the moon I’d just find myself in depression again. It was horrible… and now you’re back.”

“It’s okay Celest-“

“NO, it’s not okay!” Celestia yelled in her Canterlot voice, and at once all the wildlife around them was silenced.

“I sent you to the moon! The moon! For one thousand years! How is that in the least bit okay?!” Luna was frozen in shock. Celestia suddenly became aware of herself and tried calming down.

“I shouldn't be the one yelling, or crying for that matter.” Celestia had past the point of no return and a stream of tears ran down her face though she tried not to take notice of them.

“I'm the one who sent you there, the one who made the decision to imprison you, and I'm acting as if I was on the moon for one thousand years! The day you came back you said you were sorry. I should have said sorry! I'm your sister… how-how could I have s-sent you to the moon?” It was no use resisting the tears anymore. Celestia began sobbing as well, her breaths becoming irregular and ragged.

“But I was in the wrong Tia. I tried to overthrow you. I was so selfish that I didn't see that we were sisters anymore, I just saw you as an obstacle. So you acted the same way. It was only fair.” Luna’s voice was resolved and strong, but she could see it had only made things worse.

“F-fair? What d-does that matter? You didn't deserve to go to th-the moon! I should have remembered we’re si-sis-sisters, for the both of us. No one deserves to go to the m-moon for one thousand years.”

“But I did deserve it!”

“Stop saying that!!! Why is this happening? Why are you so calm? Why am I so upset? I'm a terrible sister, why don’t you feel the same? You should hate me. Why wont you just hate me?”

“Why? Why is it imperative that I hate you? It’s in the past we should just forget it.” Luna started saying the words through clenched teeth. Her brow furrowed. Why wouldn't Celestia just drop it?

“In the past? It’s only been a year! And not once, not once have you confronted me about anything! This isn't the kind of thing you brush aside. At least you shouldn't think so.”

“Oh, I shouldn't should I? Telling me how I should feel? I'm sure you wanted to brush it under the metaphorical carpet; I just wanted to do that as well, is that a problem?” Now Luna started yelling.

“No, but this last year you've never questioned me. Never once argued with me. You're too complacent. Too calm.”

“Then you should be happy! You have your sister back, and she’s more pleasant than ever. Just accept that I do not wish to talk about it!”

“I cannot!”

“Why?! Do you want to make things harder for yourself? Do you want me slamming doors and throwing tantrums like some filly? Or do you want me physically harming you?”

“No, of cours-“

“Then stop asking me! It seems fairly simple to me,” Luna emphasised her words with furious hoof stomps.

“I just want to know what you’re thinking, why you are acting the opposite to what you should, and why you won’t tell me about your imprisonment.” Luna’s brow was suddenly a lot less stern, and starting backing up slowly. Celestia, her tears now slowed, caught onto her vulnerability and pressed her harder, knowing she was close to finally getting some answers.

“On that… rock. In that cold dark place. Knowing every day that I was still here, raising the moon with all the other ponies, while you were there. All alone. In the black of space… Completely alo-”

“SHUT UP! SHUT YOUR MOUTH!”

Luna had lost control of herself for just a second, screaming with all her might at her sister. Luna forced herself calm again, stilling her shifting, paranoid eyes, but it was for naught. Luna had lost her composure. She had to talk about it now. But then again why should she? Luna put up her defenses again, and after regaining her breath she stood, slightly turned from her sister, head held high and eyes closed, trying to close the conversation.

To Luna’s surprise Celestia didn’t speak. She was almost certain she would have pursued the matter more; she had done now for so long. Luna risked a glance at Celestia. Her sister was simply staring at her. Completely still. Motionless. Expressionless. Her bloodshot eyes meeting Luna’s and holding her in a terrible gaze, she was afraid to look away.

A moment passed. And then...

“You could send me to the moon…”

Author's Note:

Again as usual, don't be afraid to share your thoughts.