• Published 1st Mar 2012
  • 3,947 Views, 34 Comments

Terraria Is Magical - Srake



Twilight Sparkle finds herself in a new world and its inhabitants find her in their world.

  • ...
4
 34
 3,947

Lesson Two

The Sun bled light back into the night sky as the moon fell behind the landscape. The distant groans and thudding ceased as the final shadows melted away. Everyone was still in the same place. Srake looked rather irritated as Twilight finished her story.

“That took way longer than it should have.” Srake said as he let his head slip off his hand and smack against the table.

“It probably wouldn’t have taken so long if you hadn’t kept on falling asleep.” Kayla said to Srake. Srake remained motionless as Kayla stood up and walked to him. “Uh, Srake?” She reached out and placed her hand on his shoulder. A light snoring came from under his folded arms. She pressed down on his shoulder causing him to fall out of his chair and land on his face.

“Ow...” Srake mumbled into the floor. He slowly pulled himself back into his chair and looked at Twilight. He had trouble comprehending what he saw. He recoiled out of his seat and slammed himself against the wall, “How did a unicorn get in the house?! I stopped the Hallow from spreading here!”

“Srake, what are you talking about? How could you forget that Twilight was here? You were asleep for five seconds!” Kayla said exasperated.

Srake’s eyes glassed over as he went into deep thought, slowly putting thoughts together to make a coherent memory. His eyes buzzed back to life as he remembered the previous few hours. “Oh, yeah...” Srake slowly spelled out, “Hello Twilight... How did you sleep?” Srake’s words were sprinkled with malice.

Twilight suddenly felt very confused, not only at Srake’s sudden hostility and surprise but at the fact that it was already morning. That last thing wasn’t very important but it was about time Twilight learned a little about the world she was flung into. Twilight heard Srake mention something called the... hollow was it? “Uh Srake, what’s the hollow?”

Srake’s scowl faded, “Uh, what?” Srake looked down at the floor whispering something under his breath trying to think. Realization dawned on his face, “Oh! You mean The Hallow! With an ‘a’.” Twilight’s eyes narrowed in irritation. “What? If you’re going to be staying in this bastion, then you’re going to have to be correct.” Srake said defensively. “Consider it your first lesson of the wonderfully dangerous world of Terraria!” Srake added with a flourish.

Twilight watched with curious eyes, interested with the prospect of learning about an alien world. Srake continued his rambling, “The first lesson was phonetics, and the second lesson begins now, HISTORY!” Srake struck a heroic pose and his eyes glowed fiercely with renewed vigor. Srake leaned in towards Twilight and whispered, “Are you excited? I’m excited!”

Kayla let out a sound of annoyance, “Well, I’m leaving.” She made towards the door and paused, “You have fun with the little pony.” She opened up the door. “I’m going to try to get the Wi-Fi working again.” She added angrily, muttered something under hear breath and left, slamming the door.

Twilight turned back to Srake, “Wait... Did she just say, ‘Freaking Clowns’?”

Srake waved his hand dismissively, “Later...” Srake clasped his hands together excitedly. “Now, time for lesson two and just a disclaimer, Terraria’s history is all about me.” Twilight rolled her eyes and sat down on the floor. Srake looked upon her with disdain, “Are you sitting comfortably? Then let us begin...”

Srake cleared his throat and paused for several seconds before he actually began. “Terraria is a world in danger and in fact is not my native land. I was called here by Terraria itself to aid it. Terraria is very much alive and is dying slowly. I awoke on a beach staring into the blue sky, clouds floating lazily over head. Being ripped from my previous life and with no direction in mind, I wandered inland. Eventually, I came to a cliff overlooking a valley. From the cliff I could see another person who was wandering back and forth in the valley. When I came down to him, he seemed very excited to see me. He introduced himself as the Guide, a guardian of Terraria, there to help the hero start his quest. He did tell me his name, but that was a while later. I have no idea why Colin waited so long to tell me...”

Srake continued to ramble about how all the other guardians never introduced themselves when he first met them. They all used titles and avoided the topic at all times. Srake then said how they all suddenly revealed their names on the same day. Twilight hit the threshold of listening to Srake go on about how mysterious these other characters are. “Srake, what does this have to do with history?”

Srake stopped, flinching as if he’d just been struck. Srake stayed quiet for several seconds before continuing, “Colin was very helpful. He gave me my first tools and helped me construct the beginnings of the building we’re standing in... That night, I fell asleep easily because of the manual labor.” Srake moved towards a window and stared out at the landscape in the midday sun. All emotion drained from his voice, “There used to be a door by this window...” He pressed his hand against the window and lowered his head. “That night, we were awoken by a loud banging at the door. The banging continued as I approached this window to look outside. As I looked through, the noise stopped. I was about to walk back to my bed when a hand smacked against the window, cracking it. I backed away and a face with dead eyes stared at me through the window. Its skin was peeled away and rotting and a lot of its hair had fallen out. Colin walked up beside me and he said to me, ‘This is why we need you.’ He told me to go back to sleep, saying that I should sleep while I still can.”

Srake stood there for what seemed like hours as he remembered his first encounter with the spirit of darkness that loomed over Terraria. However, it was only seconds for Twilight as she watched him stare through space. “Srake, are you all right?” Srake seemed not to notice Twilight. She got up and cautiously moved towards him and prodded his knee with her hoof, “Hey, are you in there?” Twilight asked concernedly.

Srake slowly came back to reality and turned away from the window. He focused on Twilight who was now standing very close to him, “Oh, hello Twilight...” Srake backed away from Twilight slowly and walked to a chair and sat down.

Twilight continued to watch with concern, “You’re going to be alright, right?”

Srake put on a smile. “Yeah, I’ve been through worse than that.” Srake said as he rubbed the back of his head, “I’ll have to tell you those later though.” Srake looked at the table and continued to scratch his head. He suddenly stood up and moved over to one of the chests lining the wall. “Have you tried to use any magic since you’ve come here?” Srake asked Twilight as he opened a chest and turned back to her.

Twilight suddenly remembered her lack of power in this place, “Uh, yeah actually... When you first jumped in front of me, I had tried to ‘lightning bolt’ you...” Twilight gave a nervous laugh. “Sorry about that. But at least it didn’t work.”

Srake turned away from twilight and stared down into the chest again, “That’s fair enough. I had assumed you were one of the other unicorns that wandered from the Hallow.”

Twilight injected with surprise, “Wait, other unicorns? There are other ponies here!?”

Srake said a word under his breath that Twilight didn’t recognize, “Not this one...” Srake stepped over to the next chest and opened it. “Jesus, I still have a lot to teach.”

Twilight looked towards Srake with confusion, “Srake? What’s a jesus?”

Srake continued to rummage through the chest, “Nothing Twilight, forget about it.” Srake said quite fast and a little harsher than it should have been. Twilight’s eyes began to wander as Srake dismissed her last question. Her interest was piqued once again by the books inscribed with strange glyphs when Srake exclaimed, “Found it!” Twilight turned back to Srake into time to see him slam his head on the shelf above the chest, causing books to fall down. Srake held a hand against the top of his head and surveyed the damage he caused, “Oh... dear.” Srake said as he cradled a blue object in his arm.

Twilight walked up closer to Srake to get a better view of the object. From what she could tell it was a blue crystal star that pulsed with energy. “Hey, what’s that?”

Srake held out the crystal towards Twilight, “This? It’s a mana crystal. If you use this it will allow you to retain your magic energy in Terraria. Taking some pseudo scientific liberties, I believe that your world is much more ‘friendly’ towards magic. Terraria however constantly saps magical energy from your body...” Srake noticed the worried look he was receiving from Twilight. “Oh no, no, no,” Srake tried to reassure her, “It’s not dangerous at all! You just have to use mana crystals to store your body’s natural mana.”

Twilight stared at Srake, “Right... So how do I use it?”

Srake shrugged, “I dunno, just hold it up in your... hooves?” and tossed it towards Twilight how somehow managed to catch it. “Impressive...” Srake droned.

Twilight managed to balance it on a single hoof and raised it up. The crystal disappeared in a blue flash. Twilight smiled for the first time since she arrived in Terraria, “Neat.” She felt much better now having her power back now.

Srake rubbed his chin, “I think you’re gonna need more mana crystals...” Twilight was about to say something in return but Srake interrupted her “Doesn’t matter right now.” Srake walked to the door leading back into the hallway and knelt down by a pack leaning against the wall. He reached into the pack, much deeper than seemed physically possible, and pulled out a book. “Here we go Twilight, a spell called Demon Scythe. Not sure if you have any combat magic expertise, but if we get in a tight spot, just back pedal and cast the spell.” Srake tossed the book at Twilight who caught it with her telekinesis. She immediately opened it and began reading.

Srake turned away from Twilight and shouldered the pack. “Alright, so I think it’s time for a little fun, it’s time for a field trip. Man, I regret not finishing college... Hey Twilight, you have college in Ponyville? Uh, Twilight?” Srake turned around to see Twilight’s horn glowing as he held the book in front of her. “Oh, no...” groaned Srake.

Twilight finished casting the spell and unleashed a razor sharp black blade from the book. The blade flew forward and sliced though a table before it faded from existence. Twilight’s eyes twitched as she stared at the destruction she accidentally caused. Srake walked up beside Twilight, “Yeah, it’s called Demon Scythe for a reason...” Srake hit his hand against Twilight’s head lightly to get her attention, “Come on. I have to show you something before nightfall.” Srake ran to the window to check the Sun’s position. “Perfect, noon.” Srake said with a smile. Srake open the door and started shouting, “C’mon! Let’s go! GO! GO! We’re burning daylight, Twilight.”

“Jeez Srake, settle down. I’m coming.” Twilight thought to herself, ‘Dear Celestia, are all humans this unstable?’