• Published 25th Sep 2013
  • 578 Views, 9 Comments

Curator of the Stars - Sepulcher



An ancient race Observes the species of 3QU15-1.

  • ...
0
 9
 578

Report #1 - 3QU15 Logs #1-4

Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15: Log #1

This system is incredibly strange. 3QU15-1 is the solitary planet, which appears to be orbited by a lone star and moon. I have never studied anything mentioning a system in which the gravitational polarity could, quite possibly, be reversed. All of the laws regarding the science behind the pull of solar and planetary bodies indicate that 3QU15 should not exist. When Curator Ω told me that there are things that I simply won't be able to comprehend, I thought that to be exaggeration.

Now I realize my error in misjudging the Esteemed Curator Ω, as I don't understand how this system remains stable. I must Observe this system in depth, as the seemingly blatant disregard of the Celestial Laws is cause enough for study.

I can barely contain my excitement at such a prospect.


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15: Log #2

After several Standard Hours of taking measurements and calculations of 3QU15, I have determined that the planet, codenamed 3QU15-1, is indeed the center of this system.

The star is of the common variety, a Class G2V yellow dwarf. It is orbiting the planet at a rate of one hundred and seven thousand three hundred and two (107,302) Standard Unit-speed per hour. While this rate would be considered fairly standard in a normal system, the fact that it is the star moving around the planet at this speed is incredible. Whatever forces are moving the two nonillion (2x10³¹) Standard Unit-mass star at those speeds is beyond my understanding.

The moon however, codenamed 3QU15-1-1, is fairly ordinary. Like most planetary satellites, 3QU15-1-1 is spherical and in synchronous rotation with the planet that it orbits. The only blatantly differing attribute of this moon from the norm is the fact that it has an atmosphere more comparable to a planet than a standard moon. While I doubt that there is life, as the compound H20 has not show up on the sensors, it is certainly something to investigate when my Observations regarding the solitary planet are complete.

My Observations will now be entirely upon the planet 3QU15-1, since the scans have indicated there is copious amounts of H20 on the surface of the planet, giving it the main requirement for sustainable life. I wonder what the elements and layers this planet has, as a possible reason for the reversed orbit could be due to an extremely dense core.


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15, Planet 3QU15-1: Log #1

There is life on 3QU15-1. Intelligent life. My first system and I have already found an intelligent race, something many Curators spend their entire lives searching for.

The Primary Drone I sent has just returned, carrying aerial pictures of infrastructure amongst forested, frozen, and mountainous areas from 3QU15-1's orbit. The structure designs vary indiscriminately, indicating that the Apex Species on this world requires shelter from all standard weather and temperature shifts (precipitation, heat, cold). The actual presence of the structures virtually guarantees that the Apex Species is capable of handling simple tools.

I have sent the Secondary Drone to record video images from the planet's surface and to collect data on the exact atmospheric makeup.


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15, Planet 3QU15-1: Log #2

The Secondary Drone should have returned over a Standard Hour ago. While it is not unheard of for a Drone to be delayed, I cannot help but feel anxiety as to why it is late. I have continued to observe the aerial pictures from the Primary Drone while I await the return of the Secondary Drone.

The climate on planet 3QU15-1 seems to be stable, with locations showing evidence of both warm and cold seasons in relatively equal measures. Some locations closer to the equator line are warmer than other locations, as is to be expected.

Something not normal that I noticed is that there are no magnetic poles on the planet. I can only assume that the absence of the poles is due in part to the reversed gravitational polarity. The causes of such a strange system could have dramatic effects on the planet that I cannot even begin to comprehend, let alone Catalogue at this point in time.

I have noticed an irregularity: one of the colder regions have no reason to be so. In one picture, there is a frozen landmass surrounded on all sides by mild-weathered grasslands. The frozen landmass is of the same elevation as the grassland, yet it is spontaneously cold enough to accumulate frozen H20 particles while the neighbouring plateaus are not. I can only blame the erratic irregularity on the strange orbit of this system.


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15, Planet 3QU15-1: Log #3

It has been over eleven (11) Standard Hours since the Secondary Drone was supposed to return. I am considering launching the Emergency Retrieval Drone. Should the Secondary Drone not be back within one (1) more standard hour, I will be forced to, as per the Non-Interference Rule.


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15, Planet 3QU15-1: Log #4a

Thirteen (13) Standard Minutes before my deadline, the Secondary Drone returned. I took no chances: I commissioned the Drone to be given a full detoxification and a full-body scan to ensure that no malfunctions had been the cause of the Drone's delay.

With the detoxification revealing no foreign materials and the scan showing the Drone to be in (almost) perfect working order, I had the Drone brought in. There were slight scratches and what appeared to be burn marks on the underside of the Drone, although none of the recording software was damaged.

I should have completed a full diagnosis on the extent of the Drone's damage then and there, but I admit that my curiosity to know what postponed the Secondary Drone won out over the monotonous Damage Protocol. A Connection was bridged between the Drone and myself, and I settled in to watch the events unfold.

Everything went splendidly at the beginning: the shielding worked perfectly, enabling the Drone to survive the intense heat of the atmospheric entrance with ease. The Drone waited until the outer layer had cooled sufficiently before activating its cloaking field and beginning its job of collecting data. Standard operating procedure.

The Drone flew to the closest group of structures, keeping its speed below Mach One (1) so that it did not startle or possibly injure any beings that could have been near. The buildings were located near the base of a large mountain chain. It was in this first group of structures that the Drone, and me by extent, were given our first glimpse of the First Apex Species. The First Apex Species.

The chances of a life on a planet are roughly one (1) in one hundred and sixty-six (166) based on results collected from the tens (10s) of thousands (1000s) of systems that have already been Catalogued. One species evolving enough to gain superiority over the others is a rare occurrence, occurring on roughly one (1) out of every one thousand four hundred and eighty-two (1482) planets that had life on them. The very way that Sapients come to being does not allow more than one species to become the Apex Species, the Sapients. Normally.

There has only been one (1) other Catalogued planet in which two species evolved into Sapients without some form of parasitism, commensalism, or mutualism taking place between the two. The reason for this was that the planet, 8YO86-7, was almost perfectly split with oceans and landmass. One Species evolved on the land and became the undisputed ruler of their domain while the other Species evolved in the water and became the uncontested rulers of the sea. Neither Species interfered with each other, as their food sources, territory, and shelter never overlapped.


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15, Planet 3QU15-1: Log #4b

There are multiple Apex Species on 3QU15-1. I suppose it shouldn't have come as much surprise to me, considering the eccentricities of the 3QU15 system.

The First Sentients that the Drone Observed are winged quadrupeds, with indications of both avian and mammalian ancestry. Their head, chest, and the upper portion of their forelegs are covered in a layer of feathers, while their back, underbelly, hind legs, and tail are coated in thin hair. Their heads are largely reminiscent of other avian species, with a large beak as a mouth, two nostrils positioned on the upper portion of aforementioned beak, and two large, round eyes.

From their simple colourations of black, white, grey and tan, along with their sharp beaks, I can almost guarantee that they are carnivores. Carnivorous creatures generally have less colourings than Herbivorous creatures. Their sharp claws on the end of their forelegs could possibly be used as graspers, but I have not seen any indication of the Firsts using them in such a way. Their rear legs end in paws, similar to many mammals. The presence of a long tail made for balancing strikes me as odd, however, as they are able to fly.

Their wings are covered with the same feathers as their chest and head, albeit longer and more streamlined. Their wingspan is approximately twice their body-length, and they can carry their own body weight with ease and agility.

After Observing the avian-mammals long enough to provide enough video footage for study, the Drone flew towards the next closest group of structures, which was located not at the base of a mountain, but was instead embedded in the side. There were several smaller accumulations of buildings that the Drone passed over without investigating, as the larger assemblages would provide more informative footage at a greater rate.

When the Drone flew into the city to Observe, it started Observing the Second Sentients. The Seconds are also quadrupeds, but have far more variations than the Firsts in terms of physical characteristics. They vary wildly in colour and height. Among the most notable differences are the presence of protruding, horn-like objects atop roughly one quarter (25%) of the population, along with the presence of wings placed upon another quarter (25%) of the population. The remaining half (50%) had neither protrusion, nor wings. The Drone did not find any Second Sentients with both the protrusion and wings.

The general shape of the Second Sentients seemed familiar to me, so I searched for any species with similar characteristics.

My memory had not deceived me. The Database had found a species similar to my query. The Seconds were strikingly similar to something called a 'Pony' that had once lived on the planet 3AR74-3, located in the 3AR74 Solar System.

There are only two (2) 'Ponies' currently in existence: the two (2) that were mandatorily Saved before the Cleansing of 3AR74-3's surface, along with two (2) of every other species native to the planet. The only species that wasn't Saved were the bipedal Sapients known as Humans.

I will not type out the full description of the physical attributes of the Second Sentients, as they are virtually identical to the 'Ponies', aside from some minor differences, such as more flexible leg joints to enable basic handling of objects and smaller, narrower heads that enable them to communicate with each other. The exotic colourings, along with the wings and protrusions, are also not present on the 'Ponies.'


-Curator ξ


Curator's Log - Solar System 3QU15, Planet 3QU15-1: Log #4c

The Drone attempted to Observe the Second Sentients for the established amount of time, two (2) Standard Hours. Towards the end of the second Standard Hour, the Drone was seemingly noticed by a Second Sentient. One (1) of them with a protrusion pointed a hoof at where the Drone was hovering, approximately twenty (20) Standard Unit-heights above them, and started to converse with the others. The Drone did not move. It assumed that the Seconds could not see it, as its cloaking generator was still working at full capacity.

The Seconds chattered amongst themselves for a short time, before one (1) with wings shook its head in what I presume to be anger or annoyance and pointed along with the other. The Drone recorded the whole event, curious to see how the Seconds resolved an argument.

A brilliant flash of white light launched from the protrusion at a speed fast enough that it allowed no time for the Drone to move out of the way. The Drone was hit on its underbelly in the exact same spot that a scorch mark presently covers. The blast managed to temporarily shut down the Drone's thruster systems, causing the Drone to fall from the air and impact into the ground. While the Drone was not damaged, the collision disabled the already weakened cloaking generator. The recording system was still fully functional, however.

Several of the quadrupeds slowly approached the downed Drone. The emotions present on their faces seemed to indicate a combination of shock and curiosity. The Second Sentients also appeared to be wearing some sort of protection, or armour. Perhaps they are part of some sort of authority caste, as the other Sentients that the Drone observed were wearing no such protection.

As the Drone was still unable to move, it was unable to prevent its capture. The Seconds chatted amongst each other before seemingly coming to an agreement. The protrusion on the Sentient that had disabled the Drone lit up with a silver glow and the Drone started to float without any input from itself or any of the Sentients, aside from the glowing protrusion atop its head. The last thing the Drone recorded before shutting down to repair itself was an extreme close up of one of the Second Sentients.

As I compare the Second Sentients and the 'Ponies', I can only see more and more similarities between the two (2). Enough so that there is the possibility that they may have been taken from their native planet 3AR74-3 and placed upon 3QU15-1 by another Tier One (1) race like Ourselves.

I have provided all of the relevant information regarding the irregularities of Solar System 3QU15 and the presence of two (2) Apex Species upon the singular planet, 3QU15-1, in my report to you, Curator Ω. I will attempt to pry any more information from the Drone, such as how it escaped the Second Sentients clutches, while I await your response.


-Curator ξ


{END OF REPORT #1}