• Published 15th Oct 2013
  • 599 Views, 2 Comments

"Princess Luna and Her Amazing Dream Team!" -or- "I'll See You on the Dark Side of the Moon" - Graphite Scribble



The Princess of the Night could use a little help from her friends.

  • ...
 2
 599

Dream On!

Dream On

“Princess!”

Luna looked up from her desk, which was littered with all the important documents of the week. Her Captain of the Guard was in the doorway, panting and sweating, as though he had run a great distance. His wings were unfolded, as they often were in the presence of the Princess. Couldn’t be helped, she supposed.

“What is it, Captain Judo?” her voice was powerful, but finessed. All business.

“Changelings, milady. They’ve invaded the Capital!”

“What?!” Luna stood up from her desk, whipping off a pair of sunglasses. Judo Chop continued his report in a cold sweat;

“They’ve got mecha, Princess, and they’re approaching fast. If something isn’t done, they’ll destroy the city!”

Luna whipped off another pair of sunglasses.

“Not on my watch.”

With that, the Princess of the night rocketed through the ceiling. She didn’t feel too bad; it was only a patch job from the last time, and they hadn’t even put the boards in straight. Someone would receive a reprimand for that, but not now.

Now was coward killing time.

The changeling armada indeed had many marauding mecha menacing the moonlit metropolis. The machinations were of mediocre make, but made a move at the Mare of the Moon much like managers at meager motels might. Her Majesty mocked their mean maneuvers, meanwhile motioning for major minstrels to play music at a maximum, not mellow, but melodramatic, as if meant for murder, but merciful, not malicious.

“Mmmm...” Luna licked her lips, anticipating a glorious battle.

One of the contraptions dared to approach her; it was painted as though it were piloted by an officer. Without a second thought, the Princess of the Night took the new pair of sunglasses from her face and flung them at the offender. They shades exploded on impact, engulfing the target and his entire battalion in glorious blue flame, and matching smoke, which spelt the name of the warrior Princess: ‘Luna.’ At that time, the band began it’s song with a crack of the drumkit and a ripping guitar riff.

This drew a smirk from the defender of Badflankia(Capital city of Impresstria). Yes, this battle would be glorious. Not lengthy.

The citizens of the fair city cheered in awe and admiration as their leader proceeded to dispatch all of the invaders. For it mattered not how many foes she faced; they were no match for her bodacity.

Some she destroyed with her magic; some she outmaneuvered and sent flying with a mighty flap of her majestic wings; others she simply battered and broke with her own four hooves. The leaders shouted, trying to persuade their troops that they could win by sheer numbers, but Luna saw the terror in the faces of the soldiers. They knew as well as she did: this had happened before, and it would happen again.

A few of the enemy wisened near the end, fleeing back to parts unknown. Luna could have pursued them, but who would return to challenge her next time if she wiped them all out?

The Princess, seeing that her work was done, glided back down to earth, where her adoring subjects awaited. Mares, stallions, and foals alike screamed for her attention, waving fervently and generally making a ruckus. The band played a victory march, and dancers twirled and shook to the melody. A reporter rushed up to meet Her Majesty, and began to speak excitedly.

“Princess Luna! You just trounced the Changeling army! What are you going to do now?”

Luna opened her mouth to speak, but no words came. Instead, the laughter of a maniac drowned out her attempt to vocalise.

It started slow and deep, a chuckle from the back of the throat. Then it grew in volume and pitch, until even the music and the roar of the crowd were drowned out. It sounded so familiar... where had she heard it before?

The cacophonous laugh filled her head, and filled her with fear. What was she afraid of? She couldn’t place it. Luna wanted to wake up, but she couldn’t. Nor could she scream, or cry, or run away. All she could do is lie down in her cold sweat, and wait.

* * *

Luna awoke at around seven o’clock (in the evening). It was a little late for a winter day, but she doubted anypony would mind. She got up and dressed quickly, and headed out to meet her sister on the balcony.

Celestia stood there frowning slightly, as if she couldn’t decide to be disappointed, concerned, or annoyed.

“Sister,” she said, apparently deciding on a combination of all three, “I have been waiting for hours. Have you overslept again?”

“It was a good dream, that is all.” Luna replied. She hated it when Celestia treated her like a child. They were both over a thousand years old, after all. But Celestia was still the older sister, and older sisters worry about younger sisters, and the ones who care most, worry most. Celestia cared for her sister deeply. Celestia paused, thinking before she spoke.

“You have always had interesting dreams, Luna. I don’t doubt that this one might have been better than waking up, at least for the moment. But...”

She hesitated, unsure if she should say what she had planned to. She quickly resolved to carry out the full sentence, steeling herself for what could be a harsh response. “But in the past, you have always prized every hour that I gave you for the night. A... a thousand years ago, you would have called me a tyrant and a miser if I had suggested shortening the night by even a minute! Now...”

“Did you prefer it that way?” Luna asked indignantly. “Now that I am content, do you miss the monster?”

“NO!” Celestia checked her tone, worried she had said that too hastily. “No, sister...” The elder embraced the younger in her titanic, snowy wings. “I love you deeply... please never leave me with that... that Nightmare, ever again.” Luna was surprised. The Sun Princess was usually reserved; even with her faithful student, her emotions were limited to muted versions of compassion, confidence, and, if the situation warranted it, disappointment. This... this level of feeling was a rarity. It reminded her of when they were phillies.

Celestia emerged from the impromptu hug, with a single tear on her face.

“I am simply concerned, sister. When I...” Celestia fought back a second tear. “When I had to send you away... I never wanted you to stop loving your night! It is your masterpiece... it is what makes you who you are.” Those words made Luna glance away at her flank, where the symbol of the moon was. She certainly wasn’t hiding a teardrop of her own, of course.

“I...” The smaller alicorn took a moment to collect her thoughts. “I am deeply moved by your words, sister.” She turned to face Celestia. “I did not mean to frighten you... it really was a magnificent dream. That is all.”

Celestia smiled. Luna touched her sister’s hoof, as if to say, “Thank you,” but said nothing. Instead, she turned to her work, and the moon raised to the horizon at her bidding. The older pony left the younger to her work. Celestia was satisfied... for now.

She would get a real explanation later.

Luna was relaxed now. She liked the power that she felt raising the moon; who wouldn’t? But now she was getting to her very favourite part; placing the stars. Each was unique, but also a part of it’s constellation. Similarly, the constellations were beautiful pictures in and of themselves, but the larger piece of art that they formed together was nothing short of breathtaking. A jigsaw puzzle of light and darkness. Luna loved to work the stars. She loved it more, even, than her fantastic dreamscape. The midnight-blue alicorn gave pause to that thought.

She loved this. She loved her waking hours, her sister, and indeed she had grown to love the ponies of Equestria as she never had before. She had even met some whom she considered true friends.

So why couldn’t she wake up?

* * *

Luna walked down a dim, lonely and poorly cobbled street. The only light came from dull lamps to her left and right, which flickered on and off at random. She looked up, but her eyes found no stars.

And no moon.

Luna was beginning to be frightened, but as her eyes darted back and forth, she saw a small gathering of ponies. She felt compelled to go be with them, although she could not have said why. There were only a few of them; maybe six or seven. She vaguely recognised the faces... what were their names?

It did not seem to matter. A white pegasus with green and purple hair, who seemed to be in charge, looked around at everypony, as if giving orders. Even though no words were spoken, it was obvious to Luna. In fact, it was clear to everypony; they were searching for It, and they didn’t have much time to find It.

The group split up, which seemed only logical to Luna. She wandered around the dusky streets, asking anypony she met about It. But she encountered few ponies, and fewer still would speak to her. They were all too concerned, so they said, (or rather, so they seemed to say,) with what was over the hill to bother with It. How could Luna think about It when there was that fabulous, beautiful thing over there?

But she was sure, It was very important indeed. Perhaps more important than anything had ever been.

One stallion became angry with Luna when she asked. He began to yell and curse her, and his already red complexion became the deep colour of blood. Luna should have showed some backbone, but instead she retreated. Something about the noise made her ears burn, and her eyes water. The shouting became intertwined with a sounding bell in the distance, and Luna knew she was out of time, that she would never find It. The din became more and more dense, joined by a deep rumble and the roar of a ravenous lion.

A figure of deep blackness rose from over the hill, and Luna could no longer run. The darkness swallowed her whole,and muffled her pleas for help.

* * *

“Princess? P-Princess Luna! Somepony come quickly!”

Luna was only half-aware of what was happening, but with those words, a blinding flash filled the room for an instant, freeing her eyes from the unholy slumber. Luna looked up, and her sister was standing over her.

“Luna? Sister! What is it? What’s wrong?” Celestia’s voice was rich with love, but also fierce; if anything or anyone had hurt her sister, they would burn with Sun-fire.

Luna got up slowly, and tried to shake the tiredness.

“What... what has happened? Have I overslept again?”

“Have you--” the Guard who had sounded the alarm began, still shocked at both Luna’s state of weakness, and Celestia’s display of passion. He was not used to seeing the Sisters like this. “P-Princess Luna, you were... crying! You were calling for help, I--” he was not used to any of this. “--I thought you were in danger.”

Luna’s thoughts took a moment to catch up with the situation, but eventually she realised what has happened.

“Indeed perhaps I was.” It was all she said, but she gave Celestia a very particular look, one that the latter recognised from their youth.

“I will attend to my sister,” she said, with a tone that could have been lodged at all of Equus. “Leave us.”

The guard obliged, seeming more than happy to escape the situation, and Celestia’s magic closed the bedchamber door behind him. Then the Sun Princess’ face softened, as did her heavenly voice.

“What is the matter, Luna? Was it--”

“A nightmare.” Luna answered, eager to get the experience off of her chest. She explained the whole dream in detail, and Celestia did not interrupt her sister once. Luna was in tears from the beginning of her tale, and Celestia cried on the inside to see her beloved sister like this.

“When I spoke of the monster, it was in jest,” Luna concluded, “But perhaps I should not have mentioned it at all.” The younger looked up at the older with a desperation she had not felt since her liberation back in Ponyville, nearly three whole years ago. “I am scared, Tia. I used to love my dreams, but now I am not sure if I will wake up the next time I sleep.”

Celestia embraced her sister, wiped the tears away, and took a moment to think.

“What do we do, Sister?” The question was unnecessary, of course. A test of sorts, to see what Luna’s answer would be. A thousand years ago, Luna would have been offended and hurt, but now she knew; this was only Tia’s way of caring for her, like checking a temperature. Besides, the Princess of the Moon knew the answer.

“We must seek out help... from those we can trust.”

“Do you have anypony in mind?” Luna thought for only a second, and answered her sister coyly:

“A few.”

Author's Note:

Tell me what you think.
If you like this, please tell someone about it, I need an audience to keep me motivated, or I'll never finish the damn thing.

If you don't like it so much, tell me why, and I'll take it under consideration.

Anywho, I intend to have a new chapter every couple weeks, so long as school doesn't get in the way.d