• Published 19th Sep 2013
  • 462 Views, 6 Comments

Name of a Bullet - Handsome Shadow



Celestia isn't the saint everyone thinks she is, and someone remembered the atrocities she committed, and that someone has been trying to kill her.

  • ...
3
 6
 462

Beginning of the End

Has someone ever wronged you? Ruined your life in a way so complete, you had nothing else to start over? Probably not, but I have. My memory is fire and brimstone and the red smiles grinning in the darkness. A sun, and malevolent, burning tendrils melting flesh from bone. My parents…

I slid the bolt back, checking the point three-oh-eight hollow points in the silenced rifle. They glistened black in the wet darkness before dawn, a dark promise held by each bullet, a promise of revenge.

A dark fire burned in my eyes, I slid the bolt home, ratcheting the first round into the chamber and leaned forward in the mud, rain drizzling over the barrel of the rifle, pouring off in rivulets. I took sight through the scope, tinting the world green as the night vision enchantment illuminated the courtyard for my eyes.

The courtyard was spacious, enough room for thousands of ponies if need be, a podium sat to one side, the wood smooth and oaken. The clearing was rimmed with flowered bushes, colors ranging from bright whites to dark blues, colors so vibrant, they were obvious even in the dark and through night vision. Dozens of ponies lingered about the courtyard, the castle of Canterlot looming above them, the greatest magics in Equestria shielding them from rain and danger.. Safest place in the world.

I scanned the crowd, knowing that my target wasn’t visible. I analyzed every face. I didn’t know them, and they would never know me, but any threats were marked, and their faces mentally etched to a bullet all their own.

The one set of large doors beside the podium suddenly swung open, stopping just short of hitting the wall on the outswing. Predictably, every head turned that way, and I followed their line of sight.

Stepping from the confines of the towering castle, an Alicorn, flanked by four royal guards, identifiable by golden mesh plates covering head, chest, and legs. The Alicorn herself was tall and graceful, head held high, wings spread, and face solemn.

The Alicorn slowly stepped from the door to the podium, a chill quiet came over the crowd, each one staring at the regal figure, or bowing their head. The air was electric, every face seemed to wait for the voice of an angel, but also afraid of what it might say.

I spat in the mud, contempt and hatred welling in my soul. I cradled the sniper rifle in my hooves, braced against my shoulder in a prone position, sighting my target.

The Alicorn began to speak, her voice was regal and booming. It even managed to reach my position in the overhang of rock, 300 feet away. She addressed the large crowd of high society ponies; Her voice gentle, despite the volume.

“Citizens of Canterlot, we are gathered here today to mourn a great hero, a pony by the name of Star Trot, killed in action protecting Equestria from threats within and without.” She cast a sidelong glance to one of the Royal Guards that flanked her. Together, they lined up, two on each side of the Alicorn at the edge of the podium. Each bore a long trumpet which they now held to their mouths, ready to sound.

The Alicorn continued, “Star Trot’s sacrifice will not be forgotten, for he reminded us that here in Equestria, we are not as safe as we’d like to believe. He reminded us that heroes still exist in Equestria. He reminded us of all we could be. Together.” As she finished, the four trumpets sounded. A long, mournful note chaining into others, each riding each other higher and higher as the quartet played a crescendo of notes.

The ponies in the crowd looked solemn, restrained. A few cried into the shoulders of loved ones, the trumpets started to sound notes lower and lower, a diminuendo of noise for the fallen soldier.

The Alicorn shed tears along with the onlookers, her face a mask of sorrow. She lifted her head high toward the stars as light began to creep on dawn’s horizon.

I flicked the switch on the scope with a nod of my head, cancelling the night vision. I needed to see this normally. I aligned the center of the crossed lines on the face of the Alicorn. The crosshair rested between her now closed eyes. She wept, and the sky wept with her. I started to pull the trigger, staring with hate into those pale magenta eyes.

I pulled the trigger.

The Princess lowered her head at the last second, intending to catch a word from one of the attendees. The hollow point soared over her head, mushrooming against the wooden back wall of the podium, carving a chunk out of the oak.

A nearby guard shouted and ponies screamed, I cursed under my breath and took sight again. The guards began to take formation around the Princess. overlapping each other as best they could, protecting her exposed head with a magical barrier.

Screw Unicorns, the rifle’s bolt rasped as I pulled it back, ejected the spent casing, and ratcheted another round into the chamber. Taking aim, I sighted the Unicorn to the Princess’ left. A horn shot would be useless, the hardened bone would stand against the hollow points. Luckily, I’ve watched these goons for a while. The rifle whispered as the bullet flew toward a chink in the armor of the Unicorn, where the plate’s met the shoulder, there was a pinprick location of exposed flesh.

It hit dead on.

The hollow point mushroomed on impact, tearing and mutilating the flesh of the Unicorn’s shoulder, his eyes widened, and he collapsed, clutching his shredded shoulder. As tough as they were, they were still mortal.

My target however, is a different question. I racked another round in, and took out the Unicorn on the Princess’ opposite side. With a rapid hoof motion, I put the last round into the chamber.

My world became stars.

A midnight blue Pegasus slammed into me from the side. Rolling in the mud, I shook my head to clear the impact. The Pegasus pushed the opportunity, drawing a short, curved blade in his mouth from his barding. Advancing, he swung in a downward arc, trying to gut me.

I swung the rifle between myself and the blade, catching it in the bolt. Luckily, the steel held and I pushed against the Pegasus. He slid from the force and fell to his side in the mud. Scrambling up as fast as I dare, I grab my rifle in my mouth and gallop away from the guard.

The early morning city was in panic, though no one else seemed to see my shot, they could all guess why a black mare would be running away from the Canterlot castle. I weaved around lightposts and ponies alike, keeping my feet firmly planted to avoid a slip.

Behind me, the sound of wingbeats alarmed me, I turned a quick corner to an alley. The buildings on either side obstructed vision, but I didn’t have much time before the Pegasi rounded the corner too. Spotting an access tunnel, I pry open the sewer panel, crawling into the cramped tunnels. Replacing the cover, I didn’t stop, I continued to crawl through maintenance tunnels that ran through Canterlot. I spent a lot of time here, eyes where eyes don’t belong.

Taking turn after turn, I crawl through the muck created by the torrential rain. The mud in my coat began to harden, but I kept moving, almost desperate to reach safety.

After what seems forever navigating the tunnels, I finally turn a corner to see a cramped little intersection where the pipelines meet. It offered enough space for some storage, but not much else. Every crate was waterproofed for days like today.

Setting the rifle down, I sigh. The bolt was mangled and the scope was destroyed, and a new line marked the assembly where the blade bit into it. Not many ponies knew how to make firearms, or how to fix them. It would take a while to fix.

Setting myself down in a crate of hay, I took stock of tonight’s attempt. Almost had her, if she hadn’t moved…

I shook my head, no use whining about it, I just have to be careful the next few days. Then find E.

Memories of the white Alicorn began to resurface, a cold day, a burning fire, a half dozen ponies, and Her. Then E came, saved me. Saved me to kill her.

Some assassin I am.

Taking the gun in my hooves again, I caressed the stock. Engraved in it was the name, “Misty” and over two dozen vertical scratches. Practice E called it, it was hard at first, but then it became as easy as breathing, killing. The Princess knew that.

On the other side of the stock was another name, “Tranxhe” I knew it was dangerous, but I couldn’t help but personalize the weapon. We’ve been through so much together.

I frowned at the bolt, bent sideways it was no use to me, and E was under enough suspicion right now.

With a heavy sigh, I threw myself back on the hay. With this failed attempt, The Princess will surely go underground for a while, figuratively speaking of course. It would be months before I would get another chance

All because of that night…

I shook my head, I didn’t need to think of it any more right now. Not when I would dream it anyway.

With a shudder, I closed my eyes.

Like every night, I saw fire and brimstone, red smiles grinning in the darkness.

Author's Note:

First chapter. Was inspired by a day that really worked up my anger. Like in my other fic, I have continuity issues and I tend to skip a bunch of details that I think of when I write. If you guys notice anything wrong in future chapters, drop me a line. Sorry about poor quality, I am my own editor.