• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 1,489 Views, 37 Comments

Hecarim's Peril - Hammerdog



Hecarim is thrown into a much unexpected place.

  • ...
5
 37
 1,489

Chapter One: Initial Thoughts


Malzahar wandered toward the Bottom Lane, passing the dragon. From the distance he could hear what sounded like arguing. “What’s going on now?” Mal groaned. They had been fighting this entire match.

“Do you even know who you’re up against, cowboy?” Draven mocked, spinning his axes with deft movements.

“Some pretty-boy Noxian, I reckon?” Graves spat, aiming his shotgun directly at the unfazed Draven.

Ignoring the comment, he continued. “I’m THE Draven. A master of the League! A hero of the Noxus! A-” Draven was cut of by a sudden shot from Graves.

Draven winced, but when he opened his eyes, all he saw was a glowing light in front of him. A low chuckle could be heard from the trees. Draven sighed in relief.

“I was wondering when you were going to get back into the action, Thresh,” he complained.

The lantern flew back to the ghastly figure. “Watch your tongue, mortal,” he threatened, approaching his side.

“Yay! Ghost-man is back!” squealed Lulu in delight. The purple little yordle skipped up to Graves with her Faerie friend Pix tagging along.

The four champions were silent for awhile, staring at each other threateningly. Just as they were about engage, Malzahar jumped out of the bush. “WAIT!” he shouted.

Draven yelped and flashed backwards, leaving his support behind. “Get back to the tower, you good-for-nothing support!” he called out, reaching the safety of his turret. “I told you to set up a ward earlier!”

Malzahar rolled his eyes. “I’m not going to gank you…”

“Uh-huh. Sure. Like I haven’t heard that one before,” Draven remarked.

“I speak the truth, actually,” Mal replied. “We actually have a problem that concerns all of us.”

He didn’t lower his guard, but was interested in what he had to say. “Go on.”

“You heard the announcement that Hecarim disconnected, right?”

“What about it?” Graves broke in. “That happens all the time here.”

“He didn’t just disconnect,” Malzahar explained slowly, “he’s not even in Runeterra anymore.” Confused, the group remained silent. “It’s hard to tell what actually happened, but from the looks of it, I may have transported Hec into the Void…”

“WHAT?!” Draven exclaimed. “Since when were you able to do that!?”

Malzahar hadn’t the slightest idea either. “Normally when I use the power of the Void, people are able to resist it. All it can really do here in the Rift is provide a stun and damage my opponents. No one has actually turned and gone INTO it before.”

Thresh laughed maniacally. “That sounds like something the Shadow of War would do.”

“But what does that have to do with us?” Lulu spoke out.

“From the looks of it, the Summoners have disabled our match while they try to figure out what’s going on. If we don’t get Hecarim back, who knows how long we’ll be here.”

“Hmmm… What do you suggest we do?” Graves asked.

Malzahar looked toward Thresh, “I can’t guarantee it’ll work, but it requires your help.”

“And why should I do that?” Thresh grimaced, obviously not liking the idea of helping the enemy champion.

Mal sighed. “Do you want to be stuck here until the Summoners figure something out?”

He had a valid point. This could take weeks to fix. “Alright,” Thresh hesitantly complied. “What do I have to do?”

“We’re going to have to enter the Void and follow after him…”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The trees bent to the sheer force behind Hecarim’s speed as he chased after the creature. He was getting closer and closer, to the point that the he was nearly within range to attack.

Suddenly, it lifted itself off the ground and flew into the sky above Hecarim. It can fly?!

Hecarim slowed his pace until he reached a full stop. As fast as he was, there was no way he’d just sprout wings and fly. “Maybe these beasts are as unpredictable as I imagined after all…” A smile creeped upon his face. “This might actually be fun.”

Bursting back into a full sprint, he followed the path the creature had gone. In the distance he saw a bright light. Assuming it was the exit, he dashed through and bounded over a crystal blue river. Landed on the ground, he looked up, ready to cut down any foe that stood in his way. Instead, he was filled with complete shock.

Bright, vibrant buildings were scattered across the area. The aroma of flowers filled the air, holding a most pleasant scent. What the…

Hecarim expected to fight his way through hordes of foul monsters, but instead was greeted with a sight that looked like Bandle City. “By the Shadow’s… EVEN THE ROCKS ARE COLORFUL!” He was disgusted by the appalling appearance of the village.

As he said that, he noticed something from behind one of the larger boulders. Yellow ears jutted from the peak of the stone, and heavy breathing could be heard. Unperplexed, Hecarim approached the poor hiding spot and grabbed the creature by the back of the neck, lifting it into the air. Frozen in fear, the equine remained silent with its eyes widened.

It had a long pink mane, with a butter-colored coat. It’s size was extremely small compared to Hec’s stature. After a brief silence, Hecarim broke in. “Well, creature of the Void? Can you speak?”

Nothing.

“I suppose you can not,” Hecarim said, lifting his weapon. “Well then I have no use for you, creature.”

As he was about to strike down on the helpless pony, he was stopped by a quiet whimper of sorts. “Huh?” He lowered his axe and listened closer. “Say that again, voidling.”

Once again, he heard inaudible mumblings. “LOUDER, MORTAL.”

Instead of a voiced response, the pony broke down into tears. Hecarim slowly let the creature down and looked around awkwardly, then back to it. “Erm…”

He wasn’t exactly sympathetic towards it, but he wasn’t getting anywhere like this. Frustrated, he yelled again. “WHY ARE YOU CRYING, CREATURE?”

Once again, this served no purpose but to invoke more tears. Perhaps I should try being a little more comforting, he thought. “Ahem, creature, why are you upset?”

The words left a foul taste on his tongue, but he seemed to have gotten his point across. It stopped crying and looked up at the menacing champion, still stricken with dread.

Still not enough, huh? “I’m Hecarim. And you are?”

“I’m-” her voice trailed off, leaving Hec without an answer.

“You’re…?”

She made a hardly audible sound, irritating him even further. “Fine then. You obviously have no name. For now it shall be Creature. Understand?”

She didn’t respond.

Hecarim looked around, unsure of what to do next. “Creature, what is this place called in your tongue?”

“Ponyville…” she mumbled.

At least I could hear it this time. “Ponyville? Are there more inhabitants such as you?”

Creature nodded.

“Hmm, interesting. Take me to them, Creature,” he demanded.

“O-okay…” she squeaked, cautiously getting up. She turned and led Hecarim towards the center of the town. As he followed close behind her, he took notice to the sudden closing of doors and windows as they passed by.

“Are the rest of your kind just as feeble?” Hecarim scoffed. She remained silent, not wanting to provoke any more violence from the terrifying stranger.

After a while, they finally reached what looked to be an enormous tree. “A tree?” Hecarim commented in disbelief. “This is your nest, I presume?”

Once again, she ignored him and knocked on the door. On the other side of the door there was a reply. “One second! I’ll be right there!”

In a few seconds, the door opened and they were greeted by a purple figure. “Oh hello Fluttershy! How can I-” she stopped abruptly upon noticing the enormous thing behind her friend. “What is that?!”

“I am Hecarim, the Shadow of War,” he declared, “Creature has guided me to this nest of yours.”

“Erm, Creature?” Twilight asked, looking around for anyone else. “You mean Fluttershy?”

“Flutter...shy?” He looked down at his guide. “Is that your name, Creature?”

Fluttershy didn’t respond, still fearing Hecarim.

“I see. And what is your name Purple One?” he asked quizzically.

“Twilight Sparkle…” she answered. “Where did you come from, exactly?”

“I came from a place known as the Shadow Isle. A place filled with nightmares, death, and terror.”

“Oh, um… That sounds nice…”

“Hardly,” Hecarim said, looking about the town again. “I had personally expected the Void to be a much more similar place.”

At this point, Fluttershy had sought shelter from behind Twilight. “The Void?”

“This is the Void, correct?” Hecarim asked.

“I don’t think so,” Twilight denied. “This is Equestria.”

“WHAT?!” Hecarim exclaimed.

Twilight cringed at the sudden increase of volume in his voice. “Maybe you should speak to Celestia…”

“Who?”

“Celestia, the ruler of Equestria, along with her sister Luna. Together they raise the sun and the moon,” Twilight explained insightfully.

“They’re capable of raising such powerful forces?” Hecarim asked with an astonished tone, interested in the topic of such incredible feats.

“Indeed!” Twilight added, “But how exactly did you get here in Equestria? I’ve never heard of the Shadow Isle before...”

“I am a champion of the League of Legends, a tournament where other challengers compete in order to prove their strength,” he started. Twilight listened, intrigued. Hecarim continued. “During a match, I encountered a seer that wielded the power of the Void, a place supposedly riddled with unspeakable horrors. I was originally supposed to be taken there, but this,” Hec said, gesturing towards his surroundings, “doesn’t match that description at all.”

“Yeah, Equestria doesn’t have anything like that, fortunately.”

Hecarim seemed slightly disappointed. “But these rulers you spoke of sound like they’d be a true challenge.”

“You mean Celestia and Luna?!” she yelped. “You mean you want to fight them?!”

“As long as I’m stranded in this pathetic place, I may as well have a little fun…” He began to laugh. “Yes! That would be perfect! I shall annihilate these so called leaders, and take this world for my own!”

“But the ponies of Equestria are a peaceful race! Why would you want to do such a thing?!” Twilight asked in a panic.

“Not my problem,” Hec responded. “Where are these rulers of yours?”

“Why would I tell you that after you just threatened to take over our world?!”

“Because I’ll destroy your precious little village otherwise,” he said ruthlessly.

Unwavering, Twilight readied her horn. “I’m sorry, but I can’t let you do that!”

A lavender glow enveloped Hecarim, rooting his muscles in place. “Oh? What kind of magic is this? It’s so…” he paused, and slammed his axe into the ground, “WEAK.”

With a blast of dark blue light, Twilight was sent flying backwards, taking Fluttershy with her. They were knocked into a shelf, and a hail of books fell on top of them.

Noticing a large castle in the distance, Hecarim grinned. “That seems like a good place to start!”

Before Twilight could stop him, Hec was already on his way towards his destination, tearing the earth apart in his wake.

From the skies, a particular Pegasus noticed Hecarim’s speed. “Woah!” she exclaimed, flying down to the rampaging monstrosity. “Hey! You’re pretty fast!”

What?! How is it keeping up with me?! Hecarim clenched his jaw and put all his force into his movement, but to no avail.

“I’ve got an idea! Wanna race?” she asked casually.

“You can’t be serious…” Hecarim whispered under his breath. This could be fun though, he thought.

“Fine, mortal. I accept your challenge!” Hecarim slowed and circled around, planting the hilt of his weapon into the ground. “What are your conditions, Blue One?”

“The name’s Rainbow Dash, actually.” Dash landed a little roughly and looked up. “What do you mean conditions?”

“I mean what will I receive when I win?”

“Ha! You mean if you win!” Dash joked, not at all fazed by his fierce presence.

She was thinking when Twilight suddenly came running up panting. “Twilight? What’re you doing here?”

Through short gasps of breath she tried to explain the situation. “That thing is going to try and hurt Celestia and Luna!”

“Kill, actually. I don’t plan on sparing their lives,” Hecarim admitted.

“See?!” Twilight shouted.

“Relax Twi,” Rainbow assured. She turned towards Hecarim. “Okay, I got it! If you win, you can go and we won’t stop you.”

“Rainbow Dash!” Twilight exclaimed.

“And if you win?” Hec asked.

“You mean when I win,” she joked playfully. “If I win you have to do whatever Twilight says.”

Slavery? These creatures are more cruel than I thought… “I accept these conditions.”

“Great! First one to the mountain wins!” she said, pointing towards the gigantic landmark.

Both the contenders readied themselves, determination glinting in their eyes.

“Ready.”

Hecarim leaned down, pressing his hooves into the ground.

“Set.”

Dash unfurled her wings.

“GO!”

Hecarim charged forward, leaving trails of fire behind. Rainbow Dash was still at the starting line, remaining motionless.

“Rainbow! What are you doing?! He’s getting away!” Twilight yelled.

“I already told you to relax Twilight, I’m just giving him a head start!”

After a few seconds of waiting, Dash took off. The air around her erupted into a shockwave, vanquishing the flames Hecarim had left.

Hecarim laughed at the initial ease of the challenge, but turned his head to see that Dash was already caught up.

“IMPOSSIBLE!” he roared. There were very few who could match Hecarim’s speed, let alone if given a head start.

“Come on, is that all you got big guy?” she mocked, taking the lead.

Enraged, Hecarim sped up, matching Rainbow’s speed.

“You’ll have to do better than that!” she said, going even faster.

Tch, I may have to actually use some of my power to win this… Hecarim sent out bursts of flames, his momentum increasing with each wave. Several ghostly duplicates of Hecarim rose from the ground, aiding him in the race. His pace quadrupled in mere seconds, leaving Rainbow in the dust.

“Woah! How’d he do that?! That’s so cool!” Rainbow cracked her neck and wound herself up. “Guess I shouldn’t hold back either!”

Dash changed direction and flew straight up, reaching the clouds. She paused and angled herself towards Hecarim as he neared the finish line. “Here I go!” she shouted.

She blazed through the skies, tearing the air around her. Piercing through the friction with ease, she began to reach Hec.

For a split second, Hecarim saw a cyan blur in the corner of his eye. In that same moment; however, Dash burst forward with enough power to stop him in his tracks.

He shielded his eyes from the dirt that was kicked up from the explosion. When the dust cleared, a huge rainbow took its place. It continued to expand until fading back into the clear blue skies.

Hecarim turned his gaze towards the finish line to see that his competitor had already won. Rainbow Dash stood proudly, with her chest puffed out. Hecarim’s eyes widened in surprise.

“I… lost?”

Author's Note:

Alright! Here is the first chapter! Remember to message/comment some ideas on some things you want to see happen. I'd love to keep this as interactive as possible.