• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 759 Views, 14 Comments

Red Lightning Ready to Bolt - The Critical Wizard



It it a story of a human who finds himself as a pony in the magical land of Equestria.

  • ...
17
 14
 759

The Test of Destiny (Chapter Three Rewrite)

The Test of Destiny

"Let the final test begin!" the loud voice bellowed.

As we turned we saw an old bearded unicorn wielding a heavy long sword. He had white fur and long white hair, a long maroon scar hung over his right eye making it a pale green, his other eye shown brightly as a deep emerald color. Before we could ask him who he was or what he meant, the old man launched at us with a ferocious battle cry, forcing us to separate to dodge his attack. I then drew my new blade and locked swords with him, having trained myself before I thought I could defeat the old man, but I forgot I had never tried to sword fight in this body before. My movements were slow, clunky, untrained, and easily block-able. The old man who had years of training and experience defeated me with no effort at all, he then turned his attention to Honey who fared better then me but was still being over whelmed, I then stood up and continued to fight as best as I could but he once again knocked me to the ground. I stood a third time and was beaten a third time. Honey was blasted back and knocked unconscious be his powerful magic. I stood for a fourth time.

"You just don't know when to give up do you boy." the old man said as he through me to the ground.

"I will never give up" I said climbing to my feet and reading for another attack.

"So I see." he said almost admiringly, "I can see why the sword bent to you, but the final trial must still be completed."

"I'm ready when you are."

"No your not, you are not accustomed to fighting in that body, giving me an unfair advantage." his horn glowed and I was transformed.

"I... I'm human again?"

"No it is a temporary illusion spell so you can fight at your best."

I nodded and we began to circle each other preparing for battle. With fast movements he leaped forward and slashed in an upward motion. I dodged and counter striked with a diagonal slash. Our two blades then meet and a shower of sparks flew in the air, I slid him off my sword and went for another strike, he dodged and slashed my left arm a bit, nothing to serious. I then used my height to my advantage and got good reach on him and started to over power him. Seeing his defeat imminent he then resorted to trickery and escaped in a cloud of smoke. I cleared the smoke and searched the endless columns that supported the ceiling. I then decided to do a disappearing act of my own. I used my magic to shake several piles of gold as I climbed into one and I waited. From my hiding spot I could see him as he descended from the top of a pole and started stabbing into the gold piles. Once he was searching the pile in front of me with his back turn I exploded out and shouldered him to the ground where I then disarmed him and, by accident, ended up injuring his chest causing him to cough up blood.

"You... have pa... passed." he wheezed out.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you, is there anything I can do?"

"I'm afraid not, but they were right Manna, human, you have a pure heart, and are a good soul, always caring for others."

Sadly I helped him sit up, "What's your name?"

"Dyravörðurinn"

"Well Dyravörðurinn I am truly sorry."

"You mean it too," Dyravörðurinn said painfully, "The spell will wear off in a few minutes, and you friend will be fine."

"What about you?"

"I am fine," he said weakly, "You have give me the death I have wanted for over three hundred thousand years."

Dyravörðurinn died shortly after, I turned back into a pony, and Honey woke up and ask what had happened I said I didn't know and we went to get the sword. On it's golden hilt was the Nordic Runes that spelled out Falsa and I then looked at my sword and saw the name from the parchment. I didn't mention it to Honey knowing only I would be able to wield it and that would make her sad she couldn't have it. She took the sword and let me hold it, I mentioned the legend and she shrugged it off as just a fairy tail. With that we split ways. I thanked her for the company and the food, she thanked me likewise and the she went back the way we had came and I headed out of the back door that lead in a new direction. The tunnel was long and twisted but there were no traps. When I emerged the sun had already set and everything was a shade of grey. I laid down on the ground and drifted off to sleep. In the morning I would climb down the mountain and begin trekking the Everfree Forest on my way to Ponyville.

Author's Note:

Dyravörðurinn in Icelandic means Gatekeeper
Falsa in Icelandic means fake