• Published 7th Sep 2013
  • 617 Views, 17 Comments

Mega Mare: Powered Up! - Brandon Sky



Adapted from the story of the PSP game "Mega Man Powered Up", Twilight Sparkle dons her own set of armor and weapons to stop Nightmare Moon from unleashing eternal darkness across Equestria!

  • ...
2
 17
 617

Chapter 3: It's Electric!

Twilight never wanted to see another ladder in her life after the five minute journey she went through. Climbing up and up and up so many ladders as quickly as possible to speed past all sorts of electric menaces was just absolutely not fun at all. She honestly wished she had wings at this point just to get that over and done with faster.

A good portion of the way up, however, she sensed something hidden behind giant blocks, but was unable to levitate them out of the way. They were simply too heavy for her at the moment, so she thought to come back later.

Unlike the last final stretch, however, this room had another ladder to climb. Thankfully, there were no enemies, but at this point, the ladder WAS the boss fight. It had taken so long to climb this last one due to her fatigue; she tried singing to herself to help ease the pain.

“I’m still…” Twilight sang to herself, panting. “…in a dream…oh, thank Celestia, THE DOOR!”

Upon finally reaching the door, she climbed up into the room and collapsed on the ground, needing a few seconds to breathe. As soon as she did that, the same “WARNING!” alarm broke out. A purple and yellow unicorn arrived in a flash of lightning shortly afterwards.

“Well done! But, you say good-bye here. I might even tell you more about me after I win.” The confident pony said, his horn crackling with electricity.

“I don’t have any reason to fight you, Thunder Beam! Come on, let’s go back to Canterlot!” Twilight said to him.

“You’ll never blast through my heart with that kind of attitude, Mega. It’s too bad, but I’m going to have to finish you at lightning speed.” Thunder Beam said. He didn’t look like he could be anywhere near as fast as Rainbow Dash, but maybe the phrase spoke more of his power than his agility. “Energize!” He shouted as his own battle cry. His shouting was interrupted by Twilight’s normal blast. “Well, that was most impolite!”

Before Twilight could note how his manner reminded her of Rarity, he shot a few giant electric blasts out of his horn. They were a tad slow, easily dodged when one at a time was fired. After a few traded volleys, Thunder Beam called down electricity from the ceiling, nailing Twilight on the first shot. She could feel the hundreds, potentially thousands of volts coursing through her body, but she did her best to withstand them. It was nothing, however, compared to how sore her hooves were from climbing.

Her normal shot didn’t appear to damage the stallion that badly, so she switched her armor to match the new power, throwing a Rolling Cutter at the electric pony. Even though it clearly hit him, it didn’t faze him more than her normal shots did.

“You thought that old trick would work against me, did you? You might want to get with the times!” Thunder Beam said, confusing Twilight as to what he meant by an old trick.

“Your TIME will be up if you don’t stop this!” Twilight warned.

“Well now, I was unaware you took pun lessons from Time Slow.” Thunder Beam said as the two traded blows yet again.

Twilight eventually prevailed after the last desperate volley. She hoped the Rolling Cutter would be useful against someone else instead of being outright pointless. She approached the downed stallion.

“As rude as you were…you put up a good fight.” Thunder Beam said, accepting his defeat with grace. “Now…just go ahead and…” He said as Twilight extended her hoof.

“You can tell me all about yourself when this is all over. There’s no need to fight over it.” Twilight told the electrical pony.

“After my relentless assault, you’d be willing to listen to me?” Thunder Beam asked, confused by the olive branch Twilight had essentially handed him.

“I have a friend that’s just as over-dramatic as you are, and she’s one of my closest friends. Just come with me and I’ll put that fight behind us.” Twilight smiled. In the end, she really couldn’t be mad at the stallion for the hoof torture she just went through. Whatever turned Luna into Nightmare Moon again was truly at fault for this.

“I’m sure you don’t have time to listen to my story…but, will you promise to introduce me to someone who does?” Thunder Beam requested.

“That friend of mine can do that and even design an outfit for you while she’s at it. Now, hold still.” Twilight said, performing the same copying spell she used with her previous duel. Her armor turned into an even darker shade of purple than its base form, to which she turned around and let loose a tri-directional electric blast. They were blasts of blue lightning compared to Thunder Beam’s yellow, making for an easy difference to tell other than the additional upward and downward shots.

“Well, now…isn’t that quite the nifty ability?” Thunder Beam commented, grinning at the upgrade to his power.

Twilight nodded. “Now, I have your power!” She said, feeling the line was already getting repetitive. “Just like Rolling Cutter, I’ll name the spell after you.”

“Oh, have you already brought him back? Perhaps there is no need to bother that friend of yours; I know he’ll kindly listen to my words.” Thunder Beam replied as the two teleported off.

You got a new Weapon! “Thunder Beam!” Twilight called out as she mentally thought of defeating enemies straight ahead of her as well as directly above and below her.

---------------

Twilight had already teleported to her next destination after her magic top-off.

“I remember how Thunder Beam used to be deathly afraid of cuts after being frightened by paper cuts as a foal.” Princess Celestia told Shining Armor as she watched Rolling Cutter and Thunder Beam chat in the throne room.

“That would explain the ‘old trick’ comment he told us about. He might’ve thought Twily tried to take advantage of that, but he had toughened up to not worry about them anymore.” Shining Armor replied.

“Yes…and with the removal of one weakness came another to replace it: His coat becoming messy.” Celestia informed him.

“You must be joking…” Shining said, not surprised that his sister compared him to Rarity.

“For as long as I’ve watched over you two, I’ve never joked about my work.” Celestia replied, sighing as it really did seem like a silly weakness.

Author's Note:

By the way, Twily's borrowing the old 80's Mega Man cartoon catchphrase with power copying if you haven't picked up on that yet. Also, since this was the last pre-written chapter I made, I thought I wouldn't make it too easy by going in a weakness order, so I went in a fake-out order for a moment. Remember that Oil Man and Time Man exist in Powered Up? Yeah, they completely messed with the weakness order if you look it up, so I thought "Hey, Gameplay and Story Integration chance!"

Now then, being as that was the last chapter I had already finished by the time I started uploading this, that means we're reverting to a classic style of Mega Man fic chapter progression. That means YOU get to choose who Twilight faces next ala the Stage Select the series is known for!

If you need a list, here you go:
Rolling Cutter (Cut Man)
Thunder Beam (Elec Man)
Time Slow (Time Man)
Oil Slider (Oil Man)
Super Arm Hoof (Guts Man)
Ice Slasher (Ice Man)
Fire Storm (Fire Man)
Hyper Bomb (Bomb Man)

By the way, any idea why my browser seems to have a spelling problem with teleport/teleporting/teleportation when I know I'm getting them right?