• Published 15th Sep 2013
  • 907 Views, 10 Comments

Survival of the Cyberponies - Fedora



The 9th Doctor, Derpy and Lyra explore a space station but find an old enemy hiding below

  • ...
1
 10
 907

Weighty Choices

“This is the security center of this entire space station complex,” Max explained, “On these screens I can see every corner of public space minus showers and lavatories. When I’m not here we have another individual who monitors the screens. In effect, the station is watched every second of every day by us. Nothing escapes our watchful eyes.”

Max was bipedal, and had purplish fur down his legs but a hairless torso and clawed arms. His defining feature was neither the horn on his chin nor the mandible-like mouthparts, but his eyes. Max had forty different eyes, some small and attached directly to his forehead but many lifted higher by wiggling eyestalks. Each eye was able to rotate in nearly a complete circle, and gave him a panoramic view of each and every screen in the room. Even more impressive was his ability to focus and process each image his eyes sent him individually. Max was a being that seemed destined by evolution to fill this kind of role. He really could actively monitor every screen at once.

“However, we’ve noted that there are a number of unsolved missing beings cases,” Lyra said, “How has the security department been playing a role in finding out the culprits?”

“We’ve had an ongoing role working with this station’s own investigators,” answered Max, “We’ve been over every scrap of footage from the time period at least a dozen times, and not on a screen like this. I literally mean one at a time.”

“What did you find?” the Doctor asked, “Bit concerned about the number of ponies going missing around here, we are. You know what I mean? Can’t be having multiple consecutive unsolved crimes, especially if they are the same exact offense.”

Max was silent for a moment.

“Your name was Inspector Hooves?” he finally asked.

“Doctor,” the Doctor replied, “I go by Doctor.”

Max nodded, and slowly turned in his chair. His spindly arms reached out and he started to pull archived footage on a single, larger screen for them to see.

“Well Doctor Hooves, this right here is the last footage we’ve been able to find of the most recent victim, a young stallion named Snap.” Max said. The TARDIS crew leaned in closer to watch the recording play. A short stallion walked around sneakily, trying to remain unseen as he approached a door marked “Employees Only”.

“Snap was a photographer, but the term ‘paprazzi’ is more accurate.” explained Max, “Here he’s seen sneaking into one of the privately owned Holo-studios.”

“A Holodeck?” Lyra interrputed, “You mean like on Star Trot?”

Max’s mandibles drooped in the closest equivalent to a frown as he could manage. He had no idea what the greenish Inspector was trying to ask.

“No,” he said, “I don’t really know what you’re referring to. This Holo-studio is a bunch of offices, sets, and dressing rooms. It’s where the Holo-drama is recorded.”

“Don’t you have cameras inside the studio? Security cameras, that is.” said Derpy. Max shook his head.

“No, it’s private property.” Max explained, “Believe me when I tell you though, we’ve searched every single inch of those rooms with every scanner device and tool in the possession of the justice department. We’ve found nothing.”

“You’re sure he never came out of the studios again? Hours later, perhaps?” the Doctor suggested.

“We checked the footage of all possible exits from that area, and investigated anything that had come out in a box or bag large enough to hold a pony for a full 72 hours after the incident. We’ve found nothing.” admitted Max, “No biological traces, or any of his belongings.”

“It’s similar with the others who’ve gone missing?”

“Yes, Doctor,” Max replied, “All have gone into an area that’s not under surveillance, be it bathroom or kitchen or a clothing store. None came out after that.”

The Doctor’s head lowered, and he seemed to mull over what he had been told. His eyes stared forwards blankly, then began to move back and forth rapidly. He was piecing things together.

He returned with a smile and a curt hoof-to-claw shake with Max.

“Thank you, sir,” he said, “I think that’s all I need for the moment.”

****

"We've learned two things," said the Doctor, "Firstly, this station's security is absolutely pathetic- the product of centuries without conflict. It doesn't take a genius like me to figure it all out. Secondly, there are multiple entrances to the Cyberpony's hideout. I'd imagine that once in there we'd be in some kind of place specifically for ponies that just happen to discover of it, a place without much in the way of weaknesses. The heart of their secret base is further within, further hidden and probably much less accessible."

The Doctor paced outside the entrance to the studio’s office block while Lyra and Derpy sat on a nearby bench. Derpy sat sideways with her legs folded underneath her, while Lyra tried to emulate the posture of the biped alien. She tucked her tail between her legs and rested her back against the bench.

“It doesn’t make sense,” he muttered, “What’s holding them back?”

“What’s the matter, Doctor?” Derpy asked.

“Derpy,” he said, stopping his pacing to face his companions, “If you could have anything -not like unlimited muffins- what would it be?”

Derpy didn’t have to think for long.

“I’d like to be well-off and able to raise a family.” she replied, “I’d want to live without fear of financial ruin or poverty. You know… to make sure the fillies or colts are provided and cared for.”

The Doctor frowned for a moment, and then asked the same question of Lyra.

“Me?” responded Lyra, “I would be happy with a place to live where I’m not criticized or insulted... I’d like my own place, but I’d be alright with sharing with a friend like Derpy does.”

The Doctor shook his head.

“Huh… neither of those really work as an example. Alright, let’s say all the ponies in the world were endangered, and it was up to you to save the day.”

“It’s happened before,” Derpy said.

“Let’s say you had a way to save them, you had the means to save them,” continued the Doctor, “But instead of just going and doing so you took your time. The longer you wait, the worse the situation grows. Why would you need to do that?”

This time it was Lyra who responded quickly.

“Maybe you were trying to keep yourself safe?” she suggested, “If you knew there was something trying to stop you, you’d be careful to not get noticed.”

“Yes,” the Doctor said intensely, “Yes! Lyra, you’ve got it! That’s what I’m trying to figure out! You see the Cyberponies likely have the firepower to wipe out every living thing that isn’t an Equine on this station, and everything that is they turn into another Cyberpony. I’m willing to bet the ones here could do that easily, but they’re not.”

“Why not?”

“You said so yourself.” the Doctor continued, taking a step back and eyes widening, “They’re trying to keep themselves safe! Small band of Cyberponies, probably on the brink of extinction out to resurrect their race. No doubt they’d want to take every precaution to make sure they didn’t get snubbed, because if they go then it’s just one more nail in the coffin, one step closer to the Cyberponies getting wiped out entirely.”

“What are they scared of?” Derpy asked, standing up from the bench, “You said so yourself that they could probably take the station, so what are they worried about happening? Who’s standing in their way?”

The Doctor’s frown subsided, and the edges of his mouth turned upwards slightly.

I’m standing in their way.” he said, “I’m a sworn enemy of the Cyberponies. I’m the last Time Lord, and that wouldn’t stop them from trying to kill me, just as I wouldn’t hesitate to be rid of them.”

Lyra sprang up from her seat in protest.

“But Doctor,” she gasped, “that would be murder! Genocide!”

The Doctor nodded slowly.

“I’m not fond of killing.” he admitted, “I’m a being of peace… but I know what the Cyberponies are capable of. I’ve seen the atrocities they’ve committed. In mind they were second only to the Daleks in terms of how evil they truly are, and the Daleks are dead.”

“And what happened to them?” Lyra retorted, “Two wrongs don’t make a right, Doctor.”

“Yeah,” Derpy agreed, slowly moving to her friend’s side, “Like with the future changelings. You hated them, but since they were endangered you gave them a second chance.”

The Doctor tried to keep a placid expression, but it was clear to see the furrows of his brow becoming more pronounced underneath his fur and his jaw tightening ever so slightly.

“This isn't like you! Can’t you try to reason with the Cyberponies?” Derpy suggested, “You know, set up a place for them to live where they won’t endanger others, but can live on their own?”

The Doctor slowly shook his head.

“The Cyberponies don’t work like that.” explained the Doctor, “They’re driven by an insatiable urge. It’s in their instinct to expand and conquer other compatible races, to make them Cybers themselves if they fit the mold. Peace can never work.”

Lyra and Derpy both dropped their heads at the same time.

“I’m sorry,” he said, “I know it seems wrong… but this is a way to prevent even more killing. I’ve lived with the guilt of letting some of the Cyberponies get away for a long time, and now that I’ve found them at their weakest it’s my job to destroy them for good. I’ve got to keep them from destroying more ponies, Lyra, Derpy, it’s for the greater good. Don’t you see?”

They nodded.

“Will you help me?”

They nodded again.