• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 310 Views, 38 Comments

The Untold Pageant - kiheerSEDMAN



The true story behind the founding of Equestria, sadly one of conflict and ruination. (Incomplete)

  • ...
 38
 310

Chapter 1: The Meeting

Chapter 1: The Meeting

On a cheerful winter night, six ponies are participating as the mains for one of the most anticipated shows of the year: the Hearth’s Warming Eve Pageant. Although the show was well done, akin to most Canterlot affairs, it has two sides. The story told of three divided nations of ponies arguing it out fiercely but without any real casualties, but in truth the bickering that occurs in the play is really more like a conquest of a land by three nations, ruining a significant portion of the historic Equestria, and spilling blood from all three sides to set the seeds of a new life.

This is their story.

______________________________________________________________________

The northern land that was the pony homeland was populated almost exclusively by ponies. They lived in a fragile peace, commonly broken in spouts of fierce combat. It is this very combat that drew the eyes of Boreas, the keeper of the North winds. He sent three wendigos to stir up trouble for his own amusement, for he hoped that in doing so they would rip each other to pieces, and Boreas found this very amusing. It did not take long for the wind spirits to begin their endless blizzards.

The land that was filled with edgy ponies and wildlife fleeting among the trees and clouds was about to experience its death and abandonment at the hands of these chaotic spirits that took the form of spectral horses soon to come and cast eternal winter on the inhabitants for the sole purpose of amusing their master.

The Pegasi tried in vain to quell the storms, for they could not overcome the windigos’ magical auras, and not knowing that there was a sentience behind the storms, they continued to batter uselessly against the impenetrable clouds. Efforts were soon stopped after the death toll on the weather teams grew into the double digits, the Pegasi leader Commander Hurricane making the executive decision to cease the pointless attempts.

The Unicorns however, merely stayed in their cosy homes in the mountains, warmed by their magic, they were content to wait for the pegasi to do their work. It did not take long for the spirits to notice the unicorns’ cozy condition, and used their considerable power to remove the protective spell cast by the unicorns, they also blocked out the sky completely with their raging storms, leaving the land in perpetual night.

The Earth Ponies suffered the most out of the three, their crops and homes were destroyed. The death toll was catastrophic, three in five earth ponies suffered from sickness or died in the first year alone. Food supplies dwindled, and more and more of the plains where the earth ponies called home became infertile and covered in ice.

Food supplies dwindled, the lack of sun killed off almost every plant in the land, and the never ending storms drove out every surviving animal left. Soon a council was called to address the issue. All three sides attended to address the issue. The meeting came on the longest day of the year as a sign of hope that the sun would make an appearance soon. It went about in a way not dissimilar to this:

The sight of the meeting was to be at a large mansion that was owned by a wealthy earth pony now deceased at the edge of the plains under the shadow of the tall mountain home of the unicorns. The fields once attached to it were now all untended and frozen over like most of the plainsland. Its arches once housed a lively family, servants, and in the small building to the side, slaves now all gone leaving the landlord to shiver and starve by himself in the highest room weeping over his loss, little did he know, his descendants would found the city of Ponyville to the far south long after he was dead and gone.

The first to arrive was the earth pony delegation since they were closest, then the pegasi who could at best glide there due to lack of nourishment, and last came the unicorns who had to make the long trek on foot for the same reason.

A fire was set up and and a table dragged to the center of the once grand entrance hall, the rulers and their respective delegates all sat on separate sides of the table leaving the last side once occupied by the owner of the house, for the moderator, a wizened unicorn well past his prime. As a courtesy and tradition, each side provided courtesies. The earth ponies gave food out to the ravenous delegates, the magicians enchanted the fire to make it warm the whole room evenly, and the pegasi set up guards all around the house to make sure nothing with ill intent decided to wander in. The unicorns started off the proceedings by having Clover the Clever read out the reason of their coming-

“Ponies!” she uttered in her youthful voice, “We have gathered here today to discuss what to do about our current predicament regarding the neverending blizzards, the lack of food and sun, among other things that I’m sure you’re aware of…” she glanced in the direction of the pegasi delegation, “so would anypony like to step forward with ideas on a course of action?”

The now slim Chancellor Puddinghead pounded a hoof against the table, her voluminous gut now missing after a year of food shortage, “It is the fault of the pegasi that this is taking place! They say they have no control over these storms, but I say that they are causing them as a way of aggravating us earth ponies. I move that we banish the pegasi from this land!”

Commander Hurricane stood in outrage. She had once been a commander of a proud nation of pegasi, but now her people were gradually dying of as the lack of food or warmth took its toll, “That is an outrageous claim with no grounds whatsoever! You have no right to blame us for something we don’t even understand! The blizzards are impossible to quell, I have lost many a loyal pony trying to disperse the clouds that hang over our land. They are nigh on immobile and any progress we make is instantly recovered! Why don’t the unicorns handle it with their witchcraft!?”

Now, the final leader, Princess Platinum gave her opinion. She may have been getting on in years, but was still very fierce when defending her beliefs and her people, “I for one can’t believe you are asking us to squash something powerful enough to overcome our strongest spells of shielding and warmth? We can’t even cast those spells anymore due to the lack of food” she glared at the Chancellor, “and as such it is becoming impossible to tend to our own people! Also it is called magic, not witchcraft!”

At this point the moderator stood up but was knocked over as Hurricane jumped onto the table and stalked over to the princess until they were nose to nose and yelled into her startled face, “I will not be questioned by some witch such as yourself! You snivelling cowards have suffered the least compared to the rest of us, you have been sitting inside your magically heated homes sitting out the storms like a bunch of rats!”

The princess was deeply offended at being denounced as a rodent, “Well I never! How dare you use such a derogatory term on me, you flightless bird! You are as bad as those lowly earth-”

The moderator now suffering the final throes of a heart attack tried to call for help but was stepped on by the rushing Chancellor as she lept and dive tackled the pouty princess, only to be magically lifted off by Clover, “It’s all your fault!” she cried as she was lifted away.

“You’re to blame!”

“Look who is talking!”

“Well I’ll-”

The meeting that was supposed to be a friendly discussion to find how to solve the crisis dissolved into a scream-fest as each of the matriarchs was dragged out by their respective aids.

The house was left with even more damage than before, the fire left dark, and was abandoned to the cold just like the earth pony that once inhabited its now vacant walls. Each group made the difficult trip back to their domains to discuss amongst themselves what to do now that the meeting was no longer an option.

This failed meeting led to the complete and total abandonment of their homeland, and after that the bloodiest war ever recorded in pony history.