• Published 3rd Sep 2013
  • 650 Views, 21 Comments

Lunatics - GottaLovePinkiePie



All families have their wounds. All friendships have secrets. But not all stories have a happy ending.

  • ...
2
 21
 650

Fight or Flight?

The air under the bench was filled with dust, Tricky's throat was tickling like crazy, but she suppressed every cough in fear of revealing her hiding-place. Her wings shifted awkwardly against the wooden seats, breathing was growing more and more challenging. The sound of her heartbeat filled her ears, adrenaline pumped through her veins like poison, her instincts were screaming at her to run, to fight, to hide.

Never before had she felt so mortal, vulnerable. The more animalistic instincts were like a second heartbeat pulsing in her chest, muddling all etiquette and rational thought. She couldn't fight them, and it was too late to run from them now. A desperate hope filled her heart with false promises of luck and the sweet possibility of her escape.

Heavy hoofsteps approached her from the back of the train, Tricky froze where she lay, not even daring to breathe. Out of the corner of her eyes she saw two pairs of hooves cautiously walking through the rows of benches. Tricky cast a tempted look at one of the open windows on the other side of the car. Maybe she could just dash out of it, leaving her pursuers behind. Beads of cold sweat ran down her cheeks.

Was it worth a try? Should she just stay calmly where she was?

The steps approached her like the the hands on a clock, the seconds stretched out into eternity. The hooves stopped right in front of her muzzle, Tricky stopped breathing. She heard how the stallion took a deep breath, he seemed to be listening for any other sounds than his own breathing. Tricky's lungs burned for air, her head was pounding against her skull.

The hooves moved away, but Tricky didn't dare to take another breath just yet. Spots appeared before her eyes, blinding her eyesight. The hooves were still too near, Tricky felt how her heart raced in her chest. She blinked, trying to stay conscious for as long as possible. It was impossible, she couldn't do it anymore, she had to have air.

Her lungs expanded and a long gasp escaped her lips. The hoofsteps halted and turned around at the sound. Something in Tricky clicked.

The stallion bent down to check under the bench. He was tackled by a white blur that shot out from under the bench like a rocket. Hunter was thrown to the ground, gasping for air he caught glimpse of a set of glacial, fearsome eyes glaring at him in an almost phsychotic stare. It awakened a sensation of familiarity in him, and he knew exactly who she reminded him of.

That dirty scumbag Ace has descendants?

Tricky dashed towards the end of the train, the rainy fresh air from outside seeped into the cars, the cold bit into her coat, but it was all better than the dusty suffocating space under the bench.

Hunter rose to his hooves, behind him he heard Wind Shield frantically shouting after him as he bolted after her. A sweet dose of adrenaline rushed into his system. The hunt had begun.

Before him his prey stumbled and a wicked smile spread across his face. So soon? Tricky turned just in time to see Hunter leap into the air, horn glowing and an arrogant sneer taped across his features. Tricky acted out of instinct. Her hooves rose into the air where they dove into Hunter's stomach, using his leap forward she pushed him over her head and he crashed into the benches behind her. The impact made the whole train tremble, Tricky turned over to her stomach. Only Hunter's flank was visible from the mess of splinters and cushions.

Wind Shield sprinted to his friends side, Tricky darted away like a fox in the night, Wind Shield indecisively stared after the fleeing murderer and then back at Hunter. He bit into Hunter's tail, after a few yanks Hunter's head appeared. His face was twisted in a glare of pure hate.

"Get away from me!" he barked and dashed after Tricky, leaving Wind Shield in the dust. He had no other choice but to follow the raging Hunter in his hunt for Tricky.

On both sides of the three ponies the doors started slamming shut, the hoot of a whistle echoed on the platform outside. Wind Shield anxiously chased after the other two, struggling to keep up. If they didn't catch Tricky before the train left, they'd be stuck there for Celestia knows how long with a brutal murderer, thirsting for pony-blood. They'd have to contain her until the train reached its next stop, who knew what that crook would do to get free?

Hunter was seeing red, the thrill of the hunt was pumping through his veins together with the adrenaline. Tricky glanced back at him, a sneer spread across the criminal's face. He hissed at her, slurring unintelligible words that spewed into space like a volcano releasing its pent up emotions into the darkness.

A gentle mechanical murmur sounded throughout the cars as the train started moving. Tricky let out a little scream as the cars started moving, knocking them all over. The lights flickered, Hunter glanced out of the windows, outside the train station was slowly rolling away. Tricky looked back at the two stallions chasing her, the one called Hunter's face was twisted in a wicked grimace, eyes burning like the fires of Tartarus.

The hatred in his eyes struck fear into her very being. This was the hunt, she was the prey, the very price for his wickedness. Hunter leapt to his hooves in one swift move. Tricky's heart skipped a beat and hastily she stumbled up and continued racing through the train. Tricky didn't know for how long she could continue, she could sense them behind her, rapidly catching up to her.

Her sides were burning, heart was hammering against her ribcage like a trapped bird. Behind her she heard the heavy breaths of the guards, the metallic clinking of their armors and the thundering of their hoofsteps. The train rolled forward, gaining speed with every second.

Before her, Tricky saw a closed door in the end of the car. Trapped. Well, maybe not, Tricky smiled and pushed forward. Hunter rushed after her, behind them Wind Shield was breathing heavily, asthma kicking in. Tricky almost crashed into the door, she frantically fiddled with the door handle. Behind her, Hunter growled like a dog. Tricky glanced back, the guard thundered towards her, face contorted in pure madness. His nostrils flared, eyes flashed and Tricky could have sworn that they closed into slits.

Give it to us

It's mine

Take her...

Let us live...

Tricky blinked. Her sweaty hooves couldn't grasp the doorhandle, Hunter approached her with a hungry look on his face, Tricky's heart stopped. The handle finally gave in, she didn't waste a second and fled outside.

She crashed into a metallic railing, just before her feet the rails rushed past at a blinding speed, the train was rapidly leaving Ponyville in its shadow.

Blaze...

A hair-rising growl snapped Tricky out of her thoughts, just in time to see both guards leaping into the air, and a sling of drool flying out of Hunter's mouth. Tricky couldn't do anything but duck. She heard a nasty cracking sound against metal, a cry and then a heavy thud. She rose to her hooves, Hunter and Wind Shield disappeared behind the train, both covered in mud and disappointment. She couldn't help but laugh.

She'd escaped.


Hunter's eyesight gradually cleared of stars. His neck felt broken, Wind Shield's weight was suffocating him. The rain mixed with the sweat and mud in their coats. Around them wast plains stretched out, there was no buildings anywhere near to be seen. Night was falling, the skies lit up with every strike of lightning and the rain drowned everything and everypony on the ground.

Wind Shield spit out a mouthful of mud, the white color of their coats wasn't visible under the thick layer of dirt. He stood up so that Hunter could rise up, but he was too focused on cursing under his breath to notice the helping hoof he offered. Wind Shield sighed, their armors weighed them down like concrete in water, he magically removed his burden. He let out a sigh, he watched as the last cars of the train disappeared into the darkness. They had failed, this was only the second sighting of the infamous mastermind, and now they'd gone and screwed up their chance to get the criminal. It would be nearly impossible for the Royal Guard to catch her now that she knew they were getting closer.

A prepared criminal is the worst criminal, he thought to himself. In a desperate try to lighten Hunter's and his own mood he stated:

"Well that could have gone better." Hunter let out a furious scream, Wind Shield flinched at the sound. Hunter often got a little too excited after chasing criminals, but now he seemed to be in a worse mood than ever.

"I will not sleep until I get to you, I'm going to hunt you down like a griffon! There will be no place where you can hide from me, and when I get you, I'll make sure you regret your pathetic little life. I'LL MAKE YOU WISH YOU DIED IN YOUR MOTHER!"

"Whooow there, calm down buddy..."

"I'm dead serious, I hope she sleeps well tonight, because I'm gonna haunt the oats outta her flank, I'm gonna haunt her all the way to the end of the world. No one, not one single pony will stand in my way of getting her head on a stake."