• Published 2nd Sep 2013
  • 864 Views, 28 Comments

To Tread Amongst the Living - RobertPooner



A strange stallion with an even stranger past wanders into Ponyville. Who is he? Here is he from? And what is his connection to the royal sisters?

  • ...
1
 28
 864

Chapter 6

The previous morning, princess Celestia was as usual attending to her day court. Usually, nothing more than a few nobles squabbling over how to better line their own pockets with bits or land at the expense of each other. This day though, she was having a rather unusual envoy visit her, a representative of the Cervid nation. The Cervidae are people to the south from the other side of Eternities Crossing, the southern ocean bordering Equestria. It is rare that a representative is seen in Equestria, and Celestia could scarcely remember the last time one was present in her court. As she quickly collected herself and made sure her mane was tidy, a letter materialized next to her in a coil of green fire.

“A letter from my faithful student, another friendship lesson I hope. I do always so enjoy hearing from her.”
……..

“It appears she’s reading those dusty history tomes too much again.” Celestia thought to herself

“Ms. Money Penny, may you please fetch me a quill and parchment please.”

“Right away Princess.” responds Money Penny, Celestia’s court attendant.
Returning quickly with her requested items, Money Penny sets them on a small writing table next to the princess.

“Is there anything else I can do for you Princess?” asks Money Penny

“Just please ask the guards to send the Cervid envoy in please, thank you Ms. Money Penny.”

“Of course Princess, at once.”

As Money Penny exits the throne room, Celestia magically grasps the quill and begins to write a response to her student.

“Necromancy, what tales has Twilight been reading now.” Celestia muses with a chuckle. “I thought she would have learned by now after her time spent in Ponyville.” With that, Celestia rolls up her letter and sends it off with a burst of magic.

Not a moment later, the Cervid envoy walks through the large golden doors of the throne room. Dwarfing her two unicorn guards stood an enormous elk as tall as she, clad in a long red robe fringed with gold accents; beneath which was a suit of golden plate armor. She knew right away that this was no simple ambassador, whom were usually dressed in clothing similar to that of the Canterlot nobility. This elk was something more, one of the Cervid council’s magical inquisitors, and judging by the accents on his robe and his armor, he was no mere spell sword.

Stepping forward, one of the courts unicorn guards shouts, “Presenting Grand Inquisitor Tulimus of Cervidas, right hand of the Ires of Eternity’s Council.”

“Greetings Princess Celestia.” says Tulimus as he bows at the foot of the throne.

“Greetings Inquisitor, as always it is a pleasure to welcome our neighbors and allies to Equestria.”

“Indeed Princess, though I do wish it were on less tumultuous circumstances. I bring a pressing message from my lord Aschere of Eternity’s Council.”

“What circumstances do you speak of Inquisitor?” asks Celestia.

“Perhaps it would be best if I let my lord explain to you.”

From the prongs of the great elks horns beams of magic coalesce into a glowing blue sphere. The sphere then moves to eye level with the princess as a form appears within its depths. The figure of an elder elk appears; his horns aglow with pulsing veins of blue and his body adorned in a matching blue robe.

“Hello Celestia, it has been a while.”

“Aschere, my old friend, that it has. How long has it been, eight hundred years?”

“Eight hundred and two by my count.” States Aschere as he and the Princess share a laugh.

Aschere begins speaking again, “I do wish we could see each other under better circumstances, but I fear something of grave importance is transpiring in your lands. The World Tree has spoken; it has shown us visions, visions of Equestria.”

“What were these visions? I have felt nothing of ill intent as of yet my old friend.”

“I expected as much, for this is why I was unable to visit you in person. There is a force blocking myself and the rest of Eternity’s Council from entering your lands by magical means. We also fear that if we were to enter your lands by other means, this energy could cut off our connection to the World Tree. This must also be effecting your as well as your sisters’ magical connections too.”

Taking a breath, Aschere continues, “As for these visions, they are vague at best. The World Tree has shown us dark things. A shadow sweeping over your city of Manehatten, your pegasus city of the clouds falling from the sky, and a stranger, cloaked in shadow, sitting upon your throne. We know not when this is foretold to come to pass or whether or not this is inevitability or simply one of many eventualities. The World Tree knows not of time as we do or of one universe as we are, but be warned. The last time we were shown visions of shadow was…”

“Sombra.” interrupts Celestia. “But he was banished forever, his essence scattered by the Elements of Harmony for all eternity.”

“These visions were similar, not one in the same. Yet he was believed to be defeated once before as I recall.”

“What else can you tell me Aschere? Is there any way to know when this point will come about?”

“I am afraid not. The World Tree grants us visions only when it deems necessary and even those are cryptic, even to our minds. We are sure of two things though. This entity, this shadow; it is ancient perhaps older than we are. Also, The World Tree conveyed a sense of knowing about this shadow. Never before has it shown a pony to us, not as clearly as it did this pony on your throne.”

“Well I thank you all the same my old friend, if you receive any more information please be in touch.” said Celestia with a look of concern upon her face.

“The council wishes we could do more for you, but we have pressing matters in our land as well. Cerberus has left his post at our kingdoms entrance to Tartarus, creatures have been escaping and it is taking all of our magic to keep the creatures of the deeper reaches sealed away. Our Inquisitors are having problems as well containing the outpouring of the smaller denizens as well.”

“I hope for the safety of you and your people Aschere.” says Celestia. “And thank you again.”

"Farewell Celestia, and be safe.” With that, the orb turns in upon itself and disappears in a burst of magical sparks.

“With your permission Princess, I request to take my leave. I must return to aid my people.” says Tulimus.

“Of course Inquisitor, peace to your people and may you and your soldiers triumph over the evil that plagues your land.”

The Inquisitor then bows and exits the court room followed by his escort of unicorn royal guards.

Left alone with her thoughts, Celestia begins to ponder. “What could all of this mean? I haven’t felt a lapse in my magic nor has Luna told me of any with her.”

“Ms. Money Penny, come in here please.” calls out Celestia.

“Yes Princess?”

“Cancel the rest of my appointments for the day; I need to attend to something.”

“Of course Princess, though your nephew will surely be sore about it.”

“Tell Blueblood I am busy and will deal with his concerns at a later date.”

“Right away Princess.” says Money Penny as she exits the large double doors.

“I need to find out what Aschere’s visions mean, whatever they are I will not let them come to pass and endanger my ponies or my lands.” thought Celestia as she exits through a set of doors at the rear of the throne room. “The Canterlot Archives are the best bet for deciphering what those mean.”

Celestia continues to walk down the hall and begins a descent down a spiral staircase toward the Archives. She then stops as a thought pops into her head. “Could this have something to do with the letter Twilight sent me?”

Author's Note:

Borrowed a character and setting from Nasco off of his Wiki Where the World Ends. I'm too lazy to type of each and every one, but here's the link so research for yourself. http://wtwe.wikia.com/wiki/Where_the_World_Ends_Wiki