• Published 30th Aug 2013
  • 3,408 Views, 61 Comments

The Scar - FriendlyTwo3



You've been held prisoner in Chrysalis's dungeon for nearly a year. After a month of freedom, you find that you didn't get the hero's welcome you thought you'd get. Instead, all you got was a permanent reminder of what she di

  • ...
5
 61
 3,408

Another Day, Another Headache

Chapter 3:
Another Day; Another Headache

Noontime comes around rather quickly. Cloudburst is at the market, getting some things for her typewriter. Cloudy had always been a remarkable author. Her stories brought you to tears once when you were seven. That was the day she got her Cutie Mark: an image of a small typewriter. She figured it was something about bringing out ‘girly’ emotions in one of the most ‘manly’ of children. She even sold a book once, though it didn’t receive too much attention. It was given fair reviews, but it wasn’t very popular compared to some other novels. She’s working on a new one. She told you a while ago that it was going to be the saddest story ever. From what you’ve read so far, ‘My Little Ashy’ isn’t all that impressive. She told you to wait till the end.

Can’t be that bad.

You sit in your chair in the living room. Your fur is still a bit wet from washing your face a few minutes ago. As with every nightmare, waking up was met with a volley of barks and hacks. Your arms are numb and your legs hurt. Your eyes strain at the bright sunlight. Cloudy had insisted that you keep the blinds open.

Your mind wanders to your cousin once again. After you woke up and finished your episode, Cloudburst told you some bad news. Eventually, she had to get all of her possessions back from Blazer. She had moved in with him about a year and a half ago, a few months before your capture. Right before she left for the market, you invited her to stay with you, to which she happily agreed.

She had brought her typewriter with her when she came to you yesterday. She carries that little thing around with her everywhere. With the help of some Unicorn librarian a few years ago, her typewriter had been enchanted to be able to shrink down to be carried around with ease, and grow back to normal size when in use. It’s pretty handy actually, though the concept of such a thing was honestly ridiculous.

Nevertheless, she still has many things still at Blazer’s house near the Everfree. He lives about a half a mile away from the Element of Kindness, Fluttershy. His cabin, from what you can remember, is small, made for no more than two inhabitants. It’s not very welcoming, but you’ve never been inside.

But that’s about to change.

In fact, what’s stopping you from leaving right now? Some good ol fashioned intimidation will make him listen. Though you wish for the contrary, who wouldn’t fear someone with scars like yours?

Grabbing a black jacket from the closet, you hum a tune in a deep tone. You had this jacket specially made. The hood is enormous and can cover your entire face if need be. You slide said hood over your forehead and over the crusty green gash on your head, effectively covering it from view. Just as you reach for the doorknob, you stop. Someone’s approaching the door. Light footsteps slowly increase in pitch as they come closer. As predicted, a few slow, deep knocks come at the door, followed by two words you know will hinder your sudden burst of confidence.

“M-Mail Mare!”

Oh, great.

You wait a few seconds, so as to not seem like you were waiting for her at the door. After about five, you open it up, to see the expected mare standing on the porch, a light hue of red on her cheeks and nose. She’s smiling nervously.

“…Hi,” she says quietly.

“Hey,” you reply, “Any mail?”

“Well… No,” says Derpy with a bit of a stutter. “But I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry.”

“Sorry about what?” you ask, tilting you head a bit.

“For not coming over yesterday. The post office called me in again and I had to pick my daughter up from her friend’s house. I tried to get back to you, but I couldn’t find time,” she explains, her tone diminishing with each word spoken. Wow. She’s really sorry about this. She sounds completely genuine. She…

She has a daughter?

“I-It’s alright,” you say after a few seconds. “I was busy yesterday too. No harm done, right?”

“I guess,” she says, looking up at you, “I just feel really bad about it.”

“Don’t,” you say, raising a hand, “I don’t like it when people feel bad for me. How ‘bout this: We’ll do something tomorrow, you and me. Have a cup of coffee or something.”

“Sure!” she says, her expression lighting up, “I’ll meet you at Joe’s Donuts at three. Er… I hope you don’t mind if I bring my daughter…”

“It’s fine. I gotta go right now, but I’ll be there,” you say, stepping outside and shutting the door. Her smile returns tenfold.

“Great! Her name’s Dinky. Don’t worry. She’s not shy or anything and she’s really nice,” she says as her wings unfurl. “I’ll see you then!” she says as she begins to fly away.

“Count on it!” you yell back to her. As you watch her fly away, you can’t help but feel your mood brighten.

And you know what happens when your mood brightens. You feel that familiar tingle running down your left cheek and you’re reminded how you got your scar.

"Wake up, worm."

“Nng… OOF!!”

“Your queen brought you a present.”

“Guh… Wha…? What?! Frostbite?!”

“No! Not him, please!"



CRACK!!



Your eyes snap open and you proceed to partake in your usual coughing fit. You use your arm to prevent green liquid from staining your pale blue house. After a few eternity-long seconds, you silence yourself. Standing up straight, you inspect the damages of your little rage attack.

Geez, you snapped that beam right in half… Aaand now your knuckles are all bloody. Great.

Later…

You’ve been walking for about ten minutes. You’d passed Fluttershy’s cottage about two minutes ago and Blazer’s cabin is in sight. The sky is all blue with one or two clouds off in the distance. The grass seems a paler green than usual. Your fists are clenched hard as you remind yourself why you’re here.

He hurt her.

You bang on the door.

He hurt you.

After a few seconds, he opens the door and you see that ugly face of his. He has pale red eyes and red greasy hair. His slight goatee hasn’t grown a bit. He wears ragged jeans shorts and a dirty white t-shirt. His muscles have grown a bit. He holds a can of beer in his left hand.

But what interests you, however, is the height difference between the two of you.

“Who’re you?” he says, looking up at you.

“Look at you,” you say, eyeing him over, “Less than a year ago, you were a humble bartender.”

“Yeah, yeah, heard that song,” he says, waving a hand in the air, “Look, if you won’t tell me what you want, it’d be better if you leave.”

“I’m Cloudburst’s cousin. And you have some things of hers.” He looks taken back a bit.

“You? Fuck happened to you, bro? You’re all, like, ragged n’ stuff.”

“I’m well aware,” you say, straightening your back, making you even taller. He dons the slightest look of worry.

“Y-Yeah, whatever… I-I got Cloudburst’s stuff right here. Take it easy,” he says a bit quieter. He walks into the house and you follow, nearly clocking your head on the doorframe. He disappears into the next room. For a few moments, you can hear shuffling and banging in the room, Blazer obviously trying to get you out of his house as fast as possible.

It’s humid and musty in here. The entire house is cramped and smells like tobacco and alcohol. The overall environment is unwelcoming. How did Cloudburst live here as long as she did?

“A-Alright, alright, I got her stuff,” you hear from the room. Blazer walks into the living room (if you can even call it that) with various bags in hand. He looks to be struggling with them. “You need any help gettin’ these back to her new place?” he asks quickly. Forcefully, you snatch a bag from him.

“No.”

Wow, this bag is heavy. Cloudburst, what do you own?

You take the other bags from him, slumping some over your shoulder and some on your arms. Though, through it all, you keep your intimidating demeanor. You exit the house, thankful to breathe non-polluted air. You hear the door quickly close behind you.

And you hear the lock snap shut.